Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-06-19, 09:59 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Beat The Streets

Fun 'showcase.' with some HS, Women's, College and Senior FS Men

HS 122lbs: Elleny Seda vs. Valentina Bailon
12-11 Bailon. Ended with a pin.

HS 138lbs: JoJo Aragona (PA) vs. Adam Busiello (NY)
JoJo with a 6-0 win after tossing Busiello off the raised mat.

62kg: Mallory Velte (USA) vs. Linda Morais (Canada)
Velty with the TF @ 1:32

57kg: Nick Piccininni (Oklahoma State) vs. Jack Mueller (Virginia)
Mueller dominates Pic. Never slowed down.

70kg: James Green (Nebraska WTC) vs. Anthony Ashnault (NJ RTC)
Big difference from college to world competition. Still only 8-4 JG

97kg: Kyle Snyder (Ohio RTC) vs. Nishan Randhawa (Canada)
Captain America had a 5 point move! Nuff said.

125kg: Nick Gwiazdowski (Wolfpack WC) vs. Derek White (Cowboy RTC)
Gwiz dominates. White was game though.

57kg: Becka Leathers (Tar Heel WC) vs. Diana Weicker (Canada)
10-6 Leathers. She's tough.

61kg: Nick Suriano (Rutgers) vs. Joe Colon (Valley RTC)
Suriano with a pretty big upset. Watch the replay. Colon looks at the clock at the exact moment Darling Nicky shoots. Really nice win by Suriano.

86kg: David Taylor (Nittany Lion WC) vs. Drew Foster (Panther WC)
Worst match of BTS. DT hurts knee defending TD. Gets a wrap and gives it a "go." Bad news. Hated to see that. No new news.

92kg: J'den Cox (Titan Mercury) vs. Patrick Brucki (Princeton)
Cox is a man. He picked Brucki up below the hips and tried to suplex him only to have Brucki land pretty much on his face. It went from a 5 to a 2. I think J'Den 'laid back' on that one.

65kg: Bajrang Punia (India) vs. Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell)
Match of the night. Yianni controlled. Was better. Looked great and kept on rolling against the World's #1 wrestler at this weight. We have something special.

79kg: Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska WTC) vs Ben Askren (UFC/AWA)
JB dominates, as he should. No surprise. Askren was, a 'stand up' cat leading up to, during and after the match. He knew he'd get beat, but did it in the best interest of Beat The Streets and wrestling. Kudos.

Fun event. Catch the replay if you can.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-19, 10:35 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post

65kg: Bajrang Punia (India) vs. Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell)
Match of the night. Yianni controlled. Was better. Looked great and kept on rolling against the World's #1 wrestler at this weight. We have something special.

Fun event. Catch the replay if you can.
Not taking away from this win, because I think Yianni is right there with the top in the world, but Bajrang wrestled at Asians two weeks ago and Aliev last week. He wrestled in three different continents in about 14 days, and was probably pretty spent. So just don't be surprised if that result is flipped at a bronze match at Worlds
Old 05-07-19, 07:10 AM
All American

chidy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Not taking away from this win, because I think Yianni is right there with the top in the world, but Bajrang wrestled at Asians two weeks ago and Aliev last week. He wrestled in three different continents in about 14 days, and was probably pretty spent. So just don't be surprised if that result is flipped at a bronze match at Worlds
That's a lot of travel but I'm taking Yianni regardless of circumstances. Yianni also wrestled last week too against quite a few hammers.
Old 05-07-19, 08:20 PM
All Yappi

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Quote:
In spite of the traveling, if you beat #1 in the world it's pretty impressive, and considerably more impressive than beating Molinaro, Oliver and Zain. And those wins were pretty impressive.

Last edited by bdhof; 05-07-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 09:07 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
In spite of the traveling, if you beat #1 in the world it's pretty impressive, and considerably more impressive than beating Molinaro, Oliver and Zain. And those wins were pretty impressive.
Yes. Yianni said as much himself- we have some good guys, but none of the three have ever medaled at worlds. Bajrang is an elite win for a 20 year old who hasn't wrestled internationally in three years.
Old 05-08-19, 03:42 PM
All Yappi

Other bouts worth mentioning - Suriano beating World bronze, Colon, ranked #2 in World rankings. Once again, USA is adding depth to a very strong lineup. And the young guns, Yianni, Fix, Suraino, are looking good.

The only downer at BTS was Taylor, ranked #1 in World, injuring his knee. Not sure how bad it is. These things are typically kept pretty tight-lipped. He can ask for a delayed wrestle off (Final X) and get about 4 months to heal and train.

And MPhillips did mention these, but I thought I'd double up on his comments.

Last edited by bdhof; 05-08-19 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 06:44 PM
All District

gorrilaz12 is on a distinguished road
Is suriano gonna wrestle fs? He seems very nonchalant about it. Also i wished when i wrestled i had the extreme hyper focus he has, absolutely amazes me
Old 05-09-19, 06:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrilaz12 View Post
Is suriano gonna wrestle fs? He seems very nonchalant about it. Also i wished when i wrestled i had the extreme hyper focus he has, absolutely amazes me
I tried to do a quick search to see if he's been on any USA teams and couldn't find anything. Maybe I just missed it. But if the guy knocks off World bronze and World rank #2 Colon, you'd think that he'd be thinking about it. He's qualified for the WTT since he's an NCAA champ, so my guess is that we'll see him there.
Old 05-09-19, 07:27 AM
All World

Quote:
I tried to do a quick search to see if he's been on any USA teams and couldn't find anything. Maybe I just missed it. But if the guy knocks off World bronze and World rank #2 Colon, you'd think that he'd be thinking about it. He's qualified for the WTT since he's an NCAA champ, so my guess is that we'll see him there.
Suriano hasn't made an age level World team, but I believe he finished runner-up to Daton Fix the first time Fix made the Cadet team (so 2014?). Suriano's a different kinda dude though- trying to predict anything he does in regards to wrestling is pointless. The guy started at Penn State as a freshman, was one of the best wrestlers in the country, then transferred.
Old 05-13-19, 08:09 PM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Suriano may drop down to 57 kg for the trials. Would have a great shot of taking out Gilman.
Old 05-14-19, 07:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
Suriano may drop down to 57 kg for the trials. Would have a great shot of taking out Gilman.
Or stay at 61kg and would have a great shot of taking out Colon. Oh, never mind. He already did that.
Old 05-14-19, 04:20 PM
All Ohio

1$s 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Or stay at 61kg and would have a great shot of taking out Colon. Oh, never mind. He already did that.
I think the OP was referring to the Olympic trials. 61kg is not an Olympic weight class. Personally, I wish there were more Olympic weight classes.
Old 05-14-19, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Suriano hasn't made an age level World team, but I believe he finished runner-up to Daton Fix the first time Fix made the Cadet team (so 2014?). Suriano's a different kinda dude though- trying to predict anything he does in regards to wrestling is pointless. The guy started at Penn State as a freshman, was one of the best wrestlers in the country, then transferred.
You are correct on a different kind of dude... But to be fair, international team level having to deal with Fix or Lee creates a problem for anyone.... "WAS" one of the best in the country? How did transferring change that? If I could win championships in my backyard, I would. Smart choice
Old 05-14-19, 09:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFan1 View Post
You are correct on a different kind of dude... But to be fair, international team level having to deal with Fix or Lee creates a problem for anyone.... "WAS" one of the best in the country? How did transferring change that? If I could win championships in my backyard, I would. Smart choice
I was just saying he's having success at the #1 wrestling school in the country. Beats the eventual NCAA champ, only loss to a guy who will win a World silver medal that year, and transfers. Suriano could have gone to Rutgers out of HS, but went to Penn St then transferred.

How many top 5 recruits do you know that transferred a year after graduating HS? Especially one that had success their freshman year. That's all I was saying.

Imagine Kyle Snyder transferring after his freshman year at Ohio St to go wrestle for Maryland. That's what this was
Old 05-15-19, 05:30 AM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
We're on the same page Yankee. I don't know the facts, but I'm sure he would have liked to have been on a championship team an in the best room in the country. Just saying as a STUDENT athlete, going away to college isn't for everyone. I'm sure wrestling had absolutely nothing to do with his transfer. Could have gone to Rutgers yes (or anywhere he wanted), but sometimes we learn through experience, I'm sure it wasn't easy for him. Side note, good Lord imagine if he stayed!