Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-22-18, 01:09 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Frankly, by the trends I'm more concerned with Higdon ripping off 25-30 carries for 175 yards or more in "The Game" than I am about OSU not being able to run the ball against Michigan's front 7.

I don't see any possibility of having multiple options in the run game unless Martell starts taking 15-20 snaps a game. I have mixed thoughts on that as Haskins arm is by far their best offensive weapon.

Indiana ran the ball perfectly fine during the Wilson days. I don't believe anything offensive gets by without Urban's rubber stamp of approval. Ultimately, IMO what you see is the staff collectively adjusting to having a pocket passer instead of a dual threat QB. Haskins has by far the best arm talent of any QB Meyer has ever had. Likewise, with maybe the exception of Chris Leak (who had battering ram Timmy relieve him in the red zone), he's easily the worst runner he's had at the position. They haven't judged the trade-off to be worth using Martell in spots yet. Maybe that will change now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
You're understanding here is lacking. Wilson has always been pass first. Running the ball and pass first are two separate things. OSU RB's MIGHT run for over 1,200 yards this season but it is deceiving.

Leak and Tebow split. It was still Meyer's offense. This has become the Day/Wilson pass show. I cannot stress it enough, they both believe they can pass their way down the field. 74 attempts in a loss suggests otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-18, 02:34 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Incredible to me how quickly Buckyfan can turn. A few months ago, your program could not move on without Urban Meyer, today he's the worst coach in football.

Here's my take on the Buckeyes, and as you may know, I'm not a Buckeye fan.
The day they got beat down by Clemson a few years ago in the college semi-final, that day should have signaled to America that this is not your grandfather's Ohio State. Yes, they get some great recruits every year. But we never, ever really know how good they are because the big ten is so weak. Purdue started the season 0-3, and lost to Eastern Michigan and Missouri. Yes, the SEC's Missouri, who is about as relevant as Rutgers or Illinois is in the big ten.
But the midwest has to have something to hang it's hat on, and Ohio State has a HUGE fan base, so we play this game every year where we put Ohio State in the top 5, then through a weak non-conference schedule and a weaker big ten schedule because they don't play everyone.
The big game this year was TCU! They just lost their 4th game of the season. Penn State!! at Happy Valley!! They've lost two games, they beat App State in overtime and beat Indiana last weekend by 5 points.

In college football, you HAVE to compare scores and schedules, there is no other way to do it. Do you honestly think that Ohio State team, that struggled with Minnesota just a week before, should be in the playoff??
Old 10-24-18, 03:58 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I find it interesting that we're criticizing home-and-home opponents that are usually scheduled 7-10 years in advance. The next 6-7 years Notre Dame, Texas, Oregon and Washington are on the slate. Ohio State arguably tries harder than anyone to play a legit high-end non-conference opponent every year. TCU was very good when scheduled. It happens.

Not too long ago they dusted everyone with a third string QB in the playoffs. Somewhat to the point of this thread, recent playoff failure has resulted from having a run first, marginal passer at QB that slanted them to being too run dependent against elite teams. This year the script has flipped to being too pass dependent at times.

I'm under no delusion as to what they are this year. They have a lot of weaknesses that usually get covered up by an elite passer.

Old 10-24-18, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
There's no need to respond to 14Red at this point. He's quite clearly a troll.
Old 10-25-18, 04:02 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I find it interesting that we're criticizing home-and-home opponents that are usually scheduled 7-10 years in advance. The next 6-7 years Notre Dame, Texas, Oregon and Washington are on the slate. Ohio State arguably tries harder than anyone to play a legit high-end non-conference opponent every year. TCU was very good when scheduled. It happens.

Not too long ago they dusted everyone with a third string QB in the playoffs. Somewhat to the point of this thread, recent playoff failure has resulted from having a run first, marginal passer at QB that slanted them to being too run dependent against elite teams. This year the script has flipped to being too pass dependent at times.

I'm under no delusion as to what they are this year. They have a lot of weaknesses that usually get covered up by an elite passer.

Ok, I'll attack the first one immediately. Pro schedules are done months, not years in advance. Why on earth does college football feel they need to schedule 5-6 years in advance?? That make ZERO sense to me.

I've always said now that we have a playoff system, we need to do away with D1 schools making their own schedules. Let's slim down D1 football to a competitive 48 or 64 teams. Put them in regional divisions and let's get the scheduling out of the hands of the schools. This make is more equal and we actually can look at schools on a more playing field. I'd even say let's do away with conferences.
Old 10-26-18, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
I want scUM fans to remember that this is one bad loss for OSU. scUM has had MANY like this over the last 15 years.
Bucks return to prominence with a blow out over Nebraska.
I donít want this team making the playoffs. They would get schooled by Bama and Clemson.
OSU vs Iowa for the B1G title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-18, 12:58 PM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Incredible to me how quickly Buckyfan can turn. A few months ago, your program could not move on without Urban Meyer, today he's the worst coach in football.

Here's my take on the Buckeyes, and as you may know, I'm not a Buckeye fan.
The day they got beat down by Clemson a few years ago in the college semi-final, that day should have signaled to America that this is not your grandfather's Ohio State. Yes, they get some great recruits every year. But we never, ever really know how good they are because the big ten is so weak. Purdue started the season 0-3, and lost to Eastern Michigan and Missouri. Yes, the SEC's Missouri, who is about as relevant as Rutgers or Illinois is in the big ten.
But the midwest has to have something to hang it's hat on, and Ohio State has a HUGE fan base, so we play this game every year where we put Ohio State in the top 5, then through a weak non-conference schedule and a weaker big ten schedule because they don't play everyone.
The big game this year was TCU! They just lost their 4th game of the season. Penn State!! at Happy Valley!! They've lost two games, they beat App State in overtime and beat Indiana last weekend by 5 points.

In college football, you HAVE to compare scores and schedules, there is no other way to do it. Do you honestly think that Ohio State team, that struggled with Minnesota just a week before, should be in the playoff??
If they win out, yes. Who's better?
Old 10-27-18, 02:01 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
14Red very seriously thought 4 SEC teams should be in the playoff. That should tell you everything you need to know.