Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #1  
Old 06-23-19, 03:42 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,861
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Ohio HS - Boys - Pole Vault - Yearly Leaders

Something I've started to compile on the same spreadsheet as my all-time lists is the listing of Yearly Leading marks per each event. While my all-time lists are working towards a top-100 (yes, you read that, THREE digits - 100), I thought it would be interesting to start compiling the leading marks per event, per year. Since some of my data goes back to 1888, well, ....it'll be years in the making

Here's a snippet of the boys' pole vault to date (from 1892 currently).

Feel free to let me know if this is of interest to anyone.

Rows in BLACK represent probable bests for the year. Rows or information in RED represent possible best yearly marks, but more research to be done. Blank information is exactly that...TBD.

Update #1 - 5 July 2019 - Correction to 1986 yearly leader added

Last edited by JAVMAN83; 07-05-19 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: UPDATE!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-24-19, 07:53 AM
skins99's Avatar
skins99 skins99 is online now
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Location: "Work is the scourge of t
Posts: 27,735
skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Interesting look back
  #3  
Old 06-24-19, 07:44 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,861
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
Interesting look back
Thanks. That's a lot of the fun in it for me as a T&F nut & history buff. Reading about athletic endeavors of the past, thinking about what-if scenarios of those athletes competing against today's athletes if they'd had the same equipment as we do today. There were some real studs 100 years ago!
  #4  
Old 06-25-19, 06:18 AM
starcatcher8 starcatcher8 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-09-10
Posts: 122
starcatcher8 is on a distinguished road
1986 mark

John Coyne of Medina Buckeye won the state AA pole vault with a height of 16'4".
  #5  
Old 06-25-19, 07:31 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,861
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcatcher8 View Post
John Coyne of Medina Buckeye won the state AA pole vault with a height of 16'4".
That was set indoors in French Field House. Separate list.
  #6  
Old 07-05-19, 06:40 AM
starcatcher8 starcatcher8 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-09-10
Posts: 122
starcatcher8 is on a distinguished road
I was at a 4th of July parade in Medina yesterday and ran crossed paths with John Coyne (state pole vault champ - 16'4"). I mentioned to him that there is a list on yappi about PV leaders by year. I said that it was too bad that his vault came indoors that year at the outdoor state meet. He said that the AAA pole vault was moved indoors that year on the first day of the meet (Friday). However, he said that the AA pole vault was held outdoors on Saturday where he vaulted 16"4" to win the meet. Who is right?
  #7  
Old 07-05-19, 09:07 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,861
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcatcher8 View Post
I was at a 4th of July parade in Medina yesterday and ran crossed paths with John Coyne (state pole vault champ - 16'4"). I mentioned to him that there is a list on yappi about PV leaders by year. I said that it was too bad that his vault came indoors that year at the outdoor state meet. He said that the AAA pole vault was moved indoors that year on the first day of the meet (Friday). However, he said that the AA pole vault was held outdoors on Saturday where he vaulted 16"4" to win the meet. Who is right?
Thank you for that input. I will go back and look deep into my data and make the correction if necessary. If I've made a mistake in reading past data, my profound apologies and I'll bump him up!

FYI - The list has been updated to reflect Mr. Coyne's OUTDOOR vault of 16' 4" at the State meet in 1986. I've confirmed through several sources what Mr. Coyne already communicated. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by JAVMAN83; 07-05-19 at 09:19 AM..
  #8  
Old 07-06-19, 07:17 AM
Newton's Third Newton's Third is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-03-10
Posts: 643
Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
The situation with the '86 vault brings a question I have for you record keepers. Do you consider indoor and outdoor track and field seasons or venues? If the '86 state meet pole vault was moved inside due to weather I understand Coyne's mark would not count for outdoor due to lack of wind and other factors. But would it count for indoor marks in your eyes? There is a big advantage to pole vaulting in June versus winter due to practice, opportunities, and other things. But if you look at it as venues would you count this effort? If a tent was put over the track at the outdoor state meet, would you call it indoor? How did Jack Shepard view these situations? I had this situation with a vaulter I coached in '79 and did not count it for an indoor school record but would like to hear other opinions.
  #9  
Old 07-06-19, 09:15 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,861
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
The situation with the '86 vault brings a question I have for you record keepers. Do you consider indoor and outdoor track and field seasons or venues? If the '86 state meet pole vault was moved inside due to weather I understand Coyne's mark would not count for outdoor due to lack of wind and other factors. But would it count for indoor marks in your eyes? There is a big advantage to pole vaulting in June versus winter due to practice, opportunities, and other things. But if you look at it as venues would you count this effort? If a tent was put over the track at the outdoor state meet, would you call it indoor? How did Jack Shepard view these situations? I had this situation with a vaulter I coached in '79 and did not count it for an indoor school record but would like to hear other opinions.
T&F News considers indoor marks ANY TIME of year. I know of a number of recent indoor PV national records that were set undercover outside of the normal indoor season.

While the IAAF & USATF don't distinguish between indoor & outdoor field event marks for record purposes (an asinine decision if there ever was one, IMHO), statisticians do and annotate indoor marks with an "i" next to the performance.

Having been a primarily field event guy myself during my earlier life, equating the two are apples & oranges from the aspect of not only weather considerations, but surface & implement considerations. An indoor shot is NOT the same as an outdoor one just because the mass of the shot is the same. Indoor shots are typically larger and have more distributed mass than outdoor shots, in general. Different feeling in the hand as well. As for the jumps & vault, completely different surface feel as well, especially if those surfaces have wood or other "softer" materials as the underlying structure. Just so many differences.
  #10  
Old 07-06-19, 09:17 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,861
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
As for your guy in '79, it should've counted as an indoor mark. Each school has its own "rules" for what counts as their school record. Another topic, altogether.
  #11  
Old 07-07-19, 08:40 AM
Newton's Third Newton's Third is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-03-10
Posts: 643
Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
An indoor shot is NOT the same as an outdoor one just because the mass of the shot is the same. Indoor shots are typically larger and have more distributed mass than outdoor shots, in general. Different feeling in the hand as well.
I doubt they would ever move the shot put indoor even if they had to throw in driving rain. But if they did I assume they would have to use an indoor shot which is something totally different in many respects than what it took to qualify. There are some interesting dilemmas.
  #12  
Old 07-07-19, 10:03 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,861
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
I doubt they would ever move the shot put indoor even if they had to throw in driving rain. But if they did I assume they would have to use an indoor shot which is something totally different in many respects than what it took to qualify. There are some interesting dilemmas.
I agree, I don't think they'd ever move the shot indoor. I've competed in some downpours myself as well as coached in them. There were a couple of times though that the combination of the rain and the dirt on the throwing surface did become dangerous for the athlete. I had some shot putters of mine that used the rotational technique darn near break their necks on extremely slippery surfaces. That said, however, I don't see the throws going undercover due to the weather.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ohio Longhorns Looking for 10U, 12U, 13U & a few HS players to Finalize Rosters. BulldogBaseball Baseball 0 08-02-17 09:25 AM
Ohio Longhorns Tryouts 12U-18U: Big Program News Inside BulldogBaseball Baseball 11 07-26-17 05:44 AM
ALBB Ohio Regional updates (Tue 07/18 morning) seclmw Baseball 1 07-18-17 01:59 PM
Junior National Duals- Team Ohio MikeMattin Wrestling 25 06-25-17 09:35 AM
Regional Ohio Results HiC Wrestling 4 05-22-17 09:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.