Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-19-18, 01:30 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Eight schools suspended from OHSAA for not sponsoring two varsity sports per season

These schools will not be able to participate in the 2018 football playoffs if they have a team...
Quote:
The board was presented with a list of eight high schools that now have their OHSAA membership suspended for the remainder of the 2017-18 school year and the entire 2018-19 school year due to failure to comply with OHSAA Constitution Article 3-3-4, which requires each school to sponsor at least two varsity sports each season, which includes participation in the OHSAA tournament. While on suspension, the schools will have their Arbiter accounts suspended (for contracting officials and other administrative functions), will not receive rule books, will not be covered by the OHSAA’s catastrophic insurance policy and may not participate in any OHSAA tournament for the remainder of the 2017-18 school year or the entire 2018-19 school year. The eight schools can continue to compete in regular-season contests and may return to membership in the fall of 2019 if they can sponsor two varsity sports per season and meet other membership requirements. The eight schools include Cleveland Collinwood, Mount Gilead Christian, Cleveland Horizon Science Academy, Cleveland Jane Adams, Cleveland Martin Luther King Jr., Cleveland Northeast Ohio College Prep, Cincinnati Riverview East Academy and Bellaire St. John Central.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-18, 03:38 AM
All American

cphslFan is on a distinguished road
Never knew such rule existed
Old 01-19-18, 09:34 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
I can’t believe Collinwood is on that list.
Old 01-20-18, 10:57 AM
All District

TR1982 is on a distinguished road
So where does the riverview east coach go? Didn't he used to coach at taft? Does he try to be an assistant there or does he apply for Aiken job?
Old 01-20-18, 01:31 PM
All District

jet is on a distinguished road
So if I am reading this correctly these schools are allowed to field teams, they are just not allowed to participate in the postseason. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 01-20-18, 03:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
So if I am reading this correctly these schools are allowed to field teams, they are just not allowed to participate in the postseason. Am I understanding this correctly?
Correct.
Old 01-20-18, 05:49 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
And regular season they are insured and can use the network to obtain officials? Do members pay fees? Are those pro-rated and returned?

How often does this occur? I don't recall it ever mentioned. There does seem a process for correction. For redemption or is it a done deal for these schools until 2020?

One of those things, where we're unlikely to hear the school side of it but on the surface it sounds like the whole punished for the inattention of one or a few. The AD? None of these schools were being excluded for the intent of the rule I take it. Goes into the "what a shame" category I suppose.
Old 01-20-18, 10:23 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Schools are given plenty of notice and time to take corrective action. It’s nit really the ADs fault. Not necessarily anyone’s fault. All but Collinwood are just very small schools with dwindling resources and student population. Keeping two sports a season is likely just not practical.
Old 01-20-18, 10:45 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Which kind of makes my point, doesn't it?
Old 01-23-18, 09:57 AM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
Glad to see the Ohsaa bringing the hammer down on small schools really showing them who is boss and in charge, all the while private school recruitment continues to run rapid. Bravo OHSAA
Old 01-23-18, 10:07 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
I love how every thread gets turned around to attack private schools
Old 01-23-18, 10:08 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed84 View Post
Glad to see the Ohsaa bringing the hammer down on small schools really showing them who is boss and in charge, all the while private school recruitment continues to run rapid. Bravo OHSAA
You should be happy. Several of those small schools were private.
Old 01-23-18, 10:26 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
4 of those schools are career prep schools in Cleveland that couldn't care less about athletics, but about getting kids into jobs and careers that they normally wouldn't have the opportunity to achieve. It's a shame. Meanwhile, rampant recruiting continues to happen among large public schools and the ohsaa looks the other way. Amazing where priorities are.......
Old 01-23-18, 10:30 AM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
Tribefan, that was what I was getting at.

Buck, I really don't have a problem with private schools, I just thinks its stupid of OHSAA to go after these schools for something that is obviously not a problem. I have never said a thing other than today about private schools.

OHSAA wants to appear important and keep the money train going, so what better way to look like they are doing their job, by handing out sanctions on schools that are small and focus on students actual life after high school.
Old 01-23-18, 11:07 AM
All American

pepperpot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Spot on ! Way to go OHSAA !
Old 01-23-18, 11:08 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Tribefan, that was what I was getting at.

Buck, I really don't have a problem with private schools, I just thinks its stupid of OHSAA to go after these schools for something that is obviously not a problem. I have never said a thing other than today about private schools.

OHSAA wants to appear important and keep the money train going, so what better way to look like they are doing their job, by handing out sanctions on schools that are small and focus on students actual life after high school.
OHSAA has rules and regulations. If you don't follow them and get busted that's your administrations fault. If OHSAA is such an evil empire why don't all the schools drop out and start their own governing body?

Not sure what you were you getting at? You said private school recruiting and Tribefan said public school recruiting.
Old 01-23-18, 11:29 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Not a new rule. Perhaps they should revisit it in the next round of member voting. A school like Collinwood should certainly not be on this list. The two-sport-per-season rule appears to mean combined boys and girls. Just sponsoring football and any other sport in fall, two basketball teams in Winter, and 2 Track teams in Spring would qualify.
Old 01-23-18, 11:34 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
... private school recruitment continues to run rapid. Bravo OHSAA
Run "rampant", not rapid.

If you're going to slander private schools at least be literate. You're giving public education a bad name.
Old 01-23-18, 11:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Run "rampant", not rapid.

If you're going to slander private schools at least be literate. You're giving public education a bad name.
Old 01-23-18, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Whatever their intention it does seem that OHSAA rules have a knack for coming down harshest on the least successful.

Even the whole +CB numbers... if you look most of those publics are poorer districts, and have lost WAY more enrollment than they gain, but only the gain part = "unfair advantage"??? Ok whatever.
Old 01-23-18, 11:54 AM
All World

If the schools that belong to the OHSAA don't like the rules, they can vote to change the rules.

Or, we can have no rules.

Either is a simple solution.
Old 01-23-18, 12:27 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Was this rule put in place to help title IX issues at schools essentially saying if your going to have football you also need a girls sport in the fall and the same with winter and spring sports?

How small does a school have to be to not find 7-10 kids to run cross country, basketball you could have a team with 12 kids each ( only need to have varsity. And maybe baseball and softball in the spring or a boys and girls track team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-18, 04:45 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
One of the schools suspended was 28 kids total for the entire high school. A lot of misinformation going on here- delved into it on same title thread in basketball. The rule is in place as a both a preventitive measure to stop what is happening in other states with "academies" that are football or basketball only "schools". If you think the privates have it made read up on these sports factories in other states and you will begin to understand the rationale.

The second reason is to have a standard for membership. For schools that are struggling to meet the minimums, there is a way to get help from the OHSAA . These schools did not ask for this help or meet the minimum standards. Just as athletes have to maintain a minimum grade avarrage and teams can't have kids that are 22 on them- there need to be regulations in place that make sense. If a school cannot fill out the forms needed to be a member of their own athletics organization then they get suspended.
Old 01-23-18, 05:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Not a new rule. Perhaps they should revisit it in the next round of member voting. A school like Collinwood should certainly not be on this list. The two-sport-per-season rule appears to mean combined boys and girls. Just sponsoring football and any other sport in fall, two basketball teams in Winter, and 2 Track teams in Spring would qualify.
Correct - it is for all schools whether single sex or coed- boys and girls basketball (or golf or swimming or track and field) would count as 2 "sports" from what I understand. The "team" can be one bowler or a runner or a golfer as long as they compete in at least half of the maximum allowable contests for their sport that season and participate in the post season. If your school is single sex school and can't meet the minimum standard of two sports per season you can apply for an exemption from OHSAA.

Last edited by Kballer; 01-23-18 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 06:00 PM
Varsity

candoattitude is on a distinguished road
Too bad for the kids. Shame on their respective administrators for not adhering to OHSAA rules/regs.
Old 01-23-18, 11:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan97 View Post
Was this rule put in place to help title IX issues at schools essentially saying if your going to have football you also
I wouldn't think so. Title IX is federal law. The feds don't need to the OHSAA to enforce federal law.

I'm going to guess that it is more about preventing private academies from becoming sports "factories." There are some religious schools in southern states where the pastor, principal, and football coach are the same person. I don't think we want that in Ohio. Like I said, just my guess.
Old 01-23-18, 11:04 PM
All World

I understand that fielding two sports a season can be a problem for some very small schools, but come on, make an effort.

And some of these are not small schools. John Adams' enrollment (top three grades) is about 800, Collinwood around 550, M.L. King about 340.
Old 01-23-18, 11:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
The "team" can be one bowler or a runner or a golfer as long as they compete in at least half of the maximum allowable contests for their sport that season and participate in the post season.
I understand what you are saying, and I agree that you are on the right track, but what other school is going to schedule a match vs a school with one golfer or runner on their team?
Old 01-23-18, 11:32 PM
All American

Most are mutiteam tournaments not matches and they only have to compete in 10 for golf, 8 for cross country, bowling etc. there are many schools in the state that don't field full teams for the season, but have individuals competing.
Old 01-23-18, 11:34 PM
All American

There's also a "grandfather" clause for long standing OHSAA member schools that haven't fielded the required minimum of 2 teams each season.