Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-28-18, 07:11 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
High School Soccer needs a Shot Clock!
A shot clock!!

"Build up the attack" would forever be banished from the high school soccer lexicon. There would be 3 positions in high school soccer: forward, defender, and keeper. Both teams scoring 20+ goals in a match would be a possibility. Some Ivies and East Coast schools play a sport called sprint football. "Speed soccer" could become a new sport.

Thank you for my morning laugh!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-18, 07:47 AM
All Region

Kickin Wing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
A shot clock!!

"Build up the attack" would forever be banished from the high school soccer lexicon. There would be 3 positions in high school soccer: forward, defender, and keeper. Both teams scoring 20+ goals in a match would be a possibility. Some Ivies and East Coast schools play a sport called sprint football. "Speed soccer" could become a new sport.

Thank you for my morning laugh!
Also take away off sides. That would totally spread both teams out. Talk about end to end play.

... then we can just call it basketball on a giant court.
Old 09-28-18, 10:50 AM
Varsity

3343 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfan63 View Post
This happens with large well established schools also. I saw a Milford team (long time ago granted) win 11-0 in the first round of the tourney and their leading scorer had 5 goals, and was in the game up top with 5 min to play. She was lucky the other team didn't take her legs out in my opinion. I want to emphasize that this was a while ago, and the coaching staff was different. My rule always was to pull a player after a hat trick.
I agree with that.....after 3 goals either remove them from the field or have them play in the back and make sure they are not scoring.
Old 10-01-18, 07:43 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Wing View Post
Also take away off sides. That would totally spread both teams out. Talk about end to end play.

... then we can just call it basketball on a giant court.
I like the idea. The field would need to be smaller and there should be on-the-fly subbing also. Perhaps it could be played indoor and be a variation of futsal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3343 View Post
I agree with that.....after 3 goals either remove them from the field or have them play in the back and make sure they are not scoring.
I'm not sure about taking them off the field altogether. Why penalize them? Perhaps someone that doesn't play as much could spell them for more frequent breaks. I'm not even sure if the person scoring 3 goals should play in the back. Perhaps they could but it wouldn't be necessary. More useful, if it's a player that always looks to shoot and go to goal first, would be to have them work on a different aspect of the game. Have them look to be charitable with the ball and get others involved in the attack. That sort of thing. It's really not that difficult.

Last edited by Rohbino; 10-01-18 at 08:34 AM..
Old 10-01-18, 08:23 AM
All Ohio

phatneff is on a distinguished road
I'll say this......Div III girls soccer is a completely different game than the other two divisions. Several years ago, I reffed a DIII Regional Final game and it was like a JV team vs a SAY team. The quality of DIII schools in girls soccer is a very wide spectrum because it's the rest of the schools in the state that don't qualify to be DI or DII. So you can have a school with really good players playing against a school that have players that have never played the game before. However, it doesn't make the lopsided scores acceptable. It's not an excuse, but there isn't much choice in that division to make it better. You're either going to score a lot of goals or play keep away from the other team. Either way, it's degrading to the other team.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-18, 10:15 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post

I'm not sure about taking them off the field altogether. Why penalize them? Perhaps someone that doesn't play as much could spell them for more frequent breaks. I'm not even sure if the person scoring 3 goals should play in the back. Perhaps they could but it wouldn't be necessary. More useful, if it's a player that always looks to shoot and go to goal first, would be to have them work on a different aspect of the game. Have them look to be charitable with the ball and get others involved in the attack. That sort of thing. It's really not that difficult.
I also agree with what you said. I was more saying take them out or play them in the back if you have players on the bench who dont get much playing time. If you have a short bench and dont have players who can come in for them then yes like you said have them work on a different aspect of their game.
Old 10-01-18, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfan63 View Post
This happens with large well established schools also. I saw a Milford team (long time ago granted) win 11-0 in the first round of the tourney and their leading scorer had 5 goals, and was in the game up top with 5 min to play. She was lucky the other team didn't take her legs out in my opinion. I want to emphasize that this was a while ago, and the coaching staff was different. My rule always was to pull a player after a hat trick.
Why? What if the hat trick only got you to a score of 3-2?

Or did you mean in blowout situations only?
Old 10-01-18, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatneff View Post
I'll say this......Div III girls soccer is a completely different game than the other two divisions. Several years ago, I reffed a DIII Regional Final game and it was like a JV team vs a SAY team. The quality of DIII schools in girls soccer is a very wide spectrum because it's the rest of the schools in the state that don't qualify to be DI or DII. So you can have a school with really good players playing against a school that have players that have never played the game before. However, it doesn't make the lopsided scores acceptable. It's not an excuse, but there isn't much choice in that division to make it better. You're either going to score a lot of goals or play keep away from the other team. Either way, it's degrading to the other team.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
And most D3 teams (girls & boys) don't have a full JV team that they can insert into the game (or how many you're allowed on the bench for tournament games). Many times, they might only have 3-4 subs so that leaves many starters on the field in blowouts.
Old 10-01-18, 11:25 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Why? What if the hat trick only got you to a score of 3-2?

Or did you mean in blowout situations only?
We are talking about a blowout situation.......if the girl scores a hat trick and that makes the score say 8-0.
Old 10-01-18, 11:26 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
And most D3 teams (girls & boys) don't have a full JV team that they can insert into the game (or how many you're allowed on the bench for tournament games). Many times, they might only have 3-4 subs so that leaves many starters on the field in blowouts.
Could always pull a player or 2 and play 11v10 or 11v9.
Old 10-01-18, 12:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3343 View Post
Could always pull a player or 2 and play 11v10 or 11v9.
I have seen that before as well. Even as far down as the minimum on the field.
Old 10-02-18, 10:55 PM
Freshman

HowardWebb is on a distinguished road
Ohio should revise the mercy rule, running clock at 6 goal differential regardless of time in the match, then either 8 or 10 and the match ends.

As a referee, the blowouts tend to be harder to manage as the losing teams frustration grow, we have to manage them
From doing something dumb
Old 10-03-18, 09:37 AM
All Region

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
How about just cap the goal differential? 6-2, 4-0, 8-4, whatever you want to make it. Games are limited opportunities to work on execution, even in blowouts. Frankly, if I'm down 10-0, I would prefer the other team continue to do what they do, so we can work on stopping it. I've been on both sides of these kinds of results and my girls still giggled and laughed on the bus ride home.
Old 10-03-18, 10:52 AM
Freshman

Dino's Water Cooler is on a distinguished road
The running clock has minimal impact. If coaches can't self-police this and a rule is needed, require the team in the lead to take a player off with an 8 goal lead. Two players are off at 10 goals, and three at 12.

Self-policing is the better option.
Old 10-03-18, 12:31 PM
Varsity

jed the fish show is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino's Water Cooler View Post
The running clock has minimal impact. If coaches can't self-police this and a rule is needed, require the team in the lead to take a player off with an 8 goal lead. Two players are off at 10 goals, and three at 12.

Self-policing is the better option.
GREATEST screen name EVS. Definitely NOT a weirdo.
Old 10-03-18, 11:29 PM
Varsity

onehotbobo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardWebb View Post
Ohio should revise the mercy rule, running clock at 6 goal differential regardless of time in the match, then either 8 or 10 and the match ends.

This was already posted but Ohio already has a rule in place for a running clock at 6 point differential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-18, 11:31 PM
Freshman

HowardWebb is on a distinguished road
I know, but it starts in the second half , it should be 6 anytime in the match and then match ends at 8 or 10 goal differential
Old 10-09-18, 11:40 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed the fish show View Post
NOT too difficult......99.9% of those teams DONT have a JV.....SO BRING YOUR ENTIRE JV UP TO PLAY THAT ONE GAME!!

Or, after 8-0, headers only or opposite footed shots only or believe it or not, ITS REALLY NOT TOO DIFFICULT TO HAVE A CLUB KID MISS JUST OFF FRAME ON PURPOSE!!

Again, a passive aggressive post by a coach who SHOULD know these things already or NEVER should have been a HS coach in the first place. Sweet jesus the idiots on this site asking these questions they KNOW the answer to before they ask.....eh.
Talk about passive aggressive that's not you... I asked to see what you would do. What I did was brought my starting 11 for league games that were going to be blowouts and my whole JV team. After 3 goals the JV went in but they want to score in a Varsity game so sometimes they keep scoring. We spend so much time on finishing why would you tell players to not finish if the have the opportunity? Sure put your 3rd back up in the goal, put your starters on the bench. If that's not working play short but do so in a way the other team doesn't know so as to not rub it in. What happens of your goalie is playing forward and she has a wide open you goal? You want her to shank it wide... Why not just keep kicking the ball into the stands every time your team gets it? Its a lot to ask a 2nd string goalie for a JV team that is playing as forward in a Varsity match to not shoot to score. That's unrealistic.

You have no clue how I have handled these situations in the past as a HS coach or even now as a club coach. I know what I do but was looking to see what you would offer up. If you bothered to read prior posts you would have seen that I offered up suggestions on how to handle it.- You're right though there are some real idiots on here.
Old 10-09-18, 11:45 AM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
I've been on lopsided scoring as a player and a coach, both sides.

I'd much rather have a score of 15-0 losing than have a team play "possession" and the game be 8-0.
Old 10-09-18, 11:46 AM
All Region

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post

I'd much rather have a score of 15-0 losing than have a team play "possession" and the game be 8-0.
I said that as well.
Old 10-09-18, 02:40 PM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post

I agree... I have been a player and coach also on both sides.
Old 10-09-18, 02:58 PM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
Okay
For once I agree with Coachg, doesn't happen often.
But 5 goals should be the difference.
keep it respectful

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: