Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-21-18, 06:39 PM
Varsity

onehotbobo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I said it before...I'll say it again. This is an adult problem. They are the ones that seem to be walking away with the hurt feelings. The kids on the losing end knew what was going to happen before the whistle blew. And they forgot about it about 30 seconds after the last whistle blew.

Not condoning running up the score but also don't think its as big a deal as some are trying to make it out to be.

This is my feeling as well. I have seen many blowouts - the same teams get killed over and over every season and guess what the girls continue to play hard and donít give up - testament to their coaches. Iíve sat on the losing side and the coaches donít stop coaching and the kids donít give up. The top GWOC teams donít run up the score past 9 I believe is the unwritten rule except Sydney as they seem to want to break scoring records. The clock really should keep rolling after a 7 point differential after the half IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-18, 07:36 PM
All Region

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotbobo View Post
This is my feeling as well. I have seen many blowouts - the same teams get killed over and over every season and guess what the girls continue to play hard and donít give up - testament to their coaches. Iíve sat on the losing side and the coaches donít stop coaching and the kids donít give up. The top GWOC teams donít run up the score past 9 I believe is the unwritten rule except Sydney as they seem to want to break scoring records. The clock really should keep rolling after a 7 point differential after the half IMO.

Love the running clock.
Old 09-22-18, 12:49 PM
Varsity

It begins......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Parent View Post
Love the running clock.

Thereís a running clock rule after 6 goals already in place, but many time-keepers are unaware of this.

From OHSAA.org:
1.7) Goal Differential/Running Clock Ė During any regular season or tournament contest, any time the score differential reaches 6 goals or more AFTER the first half of the contest, a running clock shall be used. After the 6-goal differential has been met but the score drops below 6 goals, the clock reverts to regular timing. The clock shall be stopped only for an injured player on the field or when there is any unusual delay deemed necessary by the officials.

Old 09-25-18, 11:00 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
As a parent of athletes from a few other sports, I will say that basketball coaches get raked for extremely lopsided scores. Most opt to make huge efforts keep it respectable for conference games, but it is not easy. The one year my daughters team made it to state undefeated we had only a few close games. Our coach did their best to manage the score but I agree about the comment- how do hold back the kids who never get a chance to score from getting their moment to shine? Weíve also seen our starters get pulled when up early and the other teams starters take out their frustration on the younger less experienced players we sub in with hard fouls. Itís not a great situation for all involved.
Old 09-25-18, 03:18 PM
Varsity

5x26 is on a distinguished road
I was on a team that lost to Penn State in Football 81-0. Say what you will about Joe Pa, he was a class coach. It was our job to stop them, not their job to stop scoring.
Old 09-25-18, 06:47 PM
All District

jed the fish show is on a distinguished road
The thing everyone is missing is the incredible EXPERIENCE difference (and past coaching level differences) that some HS programs have vs other HS programs....which makes the situation unique to soccer in some ways- cant just be a good athlete to play soccer like you can in football etc. And the ONLY scores that piss me off are the ones where one program has zero club players, have had either NO coaching or lame rec parent coaching in past, yet the team that runs up the score unnecessarily is made up of 18 club players with high level club coaching in the past. THOSE coaches, or coaches in similar situations that run up scores are complete tools....and it STILL happens every year.

In addition, there are SO MANY ways to NOT embarrass a team when its reached 9-0 than simply playing 'keep away'- that response/excuse is a lazy diversion by an idiot parent with some lame bully complex.

Lastly, for the idiots saying that 'the kids forget it as soon as the game ends' when they are on the losing side of a 24-0 score, what world do you live in? I'm guessing its the same bully complex losers that make that comment, and their kid has never been on that side of a disrespectful, embarrassing lose like the Anna coach and others have given out this year already. And NO, I don't have any kids of my own (that I know of) that have gone thru a loss like that, and YES I have been a coach of a team that got trounced when I CHOSE to build a program, and that's exactly why I would NEVER allow those programs (after they were built up) to score more than 8 or 9 a game against a no experience team. But you few idiot parents that DEFEND that type of coach behavior can keep looking idiotic....feel free.

Now can we please start the annual "grass vs turf", "private vs public" and "schools who recruit" threads already???
Old 09-25-18, 08:25 PM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Kids are tougher than you give them credit for. I guarantee they will be just fine after a lopsided loss. Maybe it will even make them stronger in some way. We try to protect their feelings too much rather than working on building character.

Again, not saying run the score up but sometimes it can get out of hand. If it's your JV players scoring a few late goals so what? If you're going to clear the bench let them play a little.
Old 09-26-18, 07:15 AM
All Region

IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotbobo View Post
Thereís a running clock rule after 6 goals already in place, but many time-keepers are unaware of this.
You meant to say referees.
Old 09-26-18, 08:42 AM
All District

snowman33 is on a distinguished road
The running clock rule in Ohio has helped with the huge blowout scores in football but there will always be blowouts. There are a couple of teams in our league in girls soccer that really struggle. We beat one 8-0 and the other 6-0. I swear it could've easily been 25 or 30-0 in each game if our coach wanted to do it. Instead, he placed restrictions on the girls. In the 8-0 game, he told them that they had to score after a cross and then it had to be a header. Once they accomplished those things, no more shots were taken. They simply moved the ball around and practiced passing and positioning. One of the coaches wrote a letter of appreciation to our principal, AD, and head coach. He told them how impressed he was with our sportsmanship and how much it meant to him and his girls. This is high school soccer, not professional soccer. Sportsmanship matters and during those games, I was very proud of the sportsmanship our program showed and I was really happy to see that it meant so much to our opponent. There is no reason to EVER grind a clearly inferior opponent into the ground.

Last edited by snowman33; 09-26-18 at 09:06 AM..
Old 09-26-18, 09:08 AM
All American

cincysports4 is on a distinguished road

Anna 17
Greenville 0

Anna 14
Franklin Monroe 0

Anna 11
Spencerville 0
Old 09-26-18, 09:14 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCoolDevil View Post
You meant to say referees.

Yes, thatís what I meant to say. The coaches and fans are calling to the referee to remind him to keep the clock running. The guy in the booth also keeps forgetting to not stop the clock and the fans and sideline keep signaling to keep it rolling. Itís just not a well understood rule at some games. It doesnít shave off significant time but it does shorten it.

Old 09-26-18, 09:50 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincysports4 View Post

Anna 17
Greenville 0

Anna 14
Franklin Monroe 0

Anna 11
Spencerville 0
Good ole Anna. They were in the discussion last year weren't they?
Old 09-26-18, 09:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Anna 17
Greenville 0

Anna 14
Franklin Monroe 0

Anna 11
Spencerville 0
Looks like Anna has some real stinkers on their schedule.
Old 09-26-18, 12:34 PM
All American

cincysports4 is on a distinguished road
Anna should come over to Dayton, Columbus or Cincy and play some real competition, instead of scheduling games where they can win 14-0 and feel good.
Old 09-26-18, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Anna should come over to Dayton, Columbus or Cincy and play some real competition, instead of scheduling games where they can win 14-0 and feel good.
Looks like they do play some Dayton teams....

http://www.ossca.org/schedules.asp

And to be fair to Anna, they aren't beating everyone 14-0.
Old 09-26-18, 02:21 PM
All American

Gview is on a distinguished road
It would be interesting to see the stat sheets in those blow outs though. I mean if you have 12 different goal scorers (in the 17-0 game) that is one thing, but if you have 1 or 2 kids scoring the bulk of the goals in a 17-0, that is completely different.
Old 09-26-18, 02:56 PM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed the fish show View Post
The thing everyone is missing is the incredible EXPERIENCE difference (and past coaching level differences) that some HS programs have vs other HS programs....which makes the situation unique to soccer in some ways- cant just be a good athlete to play soccer like you can in football etc. And the ONLY scores that piss me off are the ones where one program has zero club players, have had either NO coaching or lame rec parent coaching in past, yet the team that runs up the score unnecessarily is made up of 18 club players with high level club coaching in the past. THOSE coaches, or coaches in similar situations that run up scores are complete tools....and it STILL happens every year.

In addition, there are SO MANY ways to NOT embarrass a team when its reached 9-0 than simply playing 'keep away'- that response/excuse is a lazy diversion by an idiot parent with some lame bully complex.

Lastly, for the idiots saying that 'the kids forget it as soon as the game ends' when they are on the losing side of a 24-0 score, what world do you live in? I'm guessing its the same bully complex losers that make that comment, and their kid has never been on that side of a disrespectful, embarrassing lose like the Anna coach and others have given out this year already. And NO, I don't have any kids of my own (that I know of) that have gone thru a loss like that, and YES I have been a coach of a team that got trounced when I CHOSE to build a program, and that's exactly why I would NEVER allow those programs (after they were built up) to score more than 8 or 9 a game against a no experience team. But you few idiot parents that DEFEND that type of coach behavior can keep looking idiotic....feel free.

Now can we please start the annual "grass vs turf", "private vs public" and "schools who recruit" threads already???

Jed- What types of solutions do you recommend to a coach that is found on the "winning" side (if there is one) to do if its a league game and they have to play it?
Old 09-26-18, 06:07 PM
All District

soccerboy08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gview View Post
It would be interesting to see the stat sheets in those blow outs though. I mean if you have 12 different goal scorers (in the 17-0 game) that is one thing, but if you have 1 or 2 kids scoring the bulk of the goals in a 17-0, that is completely different.
They have a twitter page that has no problem telling you every goal scorer. Pretty sure in the 17-0 game one girl had 6 goals. Another girl had 5 goals. The player with 6 goals scored the 16th goal...

She also scored goal number 14 in the 14-0 game.

Itís one thing if these were league but I donít believe they are. Go out and find better competition in your non-league. Iím sure a D2 or D3 Cincinnati school (CCD, Madeira, SCD, Indian Hill, etc) would gladly give them a game.
Old 09-26-18, 06:14 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gview View Post

Iím not hating at all just an observation. Look at Sidney in the GWOC. A couple players have all the goals against inferior teams. Thereís a conscious effort to get a scoring record IMO. They surpass the 9-0 usual blowout limit. Thereís a lot of press on their players attempting to break a season record. Google their names. Perfect scenario for what we are talking about here.

Old 09-26-18, 06:27 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
Jed- What types of solutions do you recommend to a coach that is found on the "winning" side (if there is one) to do if its a league game and they have to play it?
NOT too difficult......99.9% of those teams DONT have a JV.....SO BRING YOUR ENTIRE JV UP TO PLAY THAT ONE GAME!!

Or, after 8-0, headers only or opposite footed shots only or believe it or not, ITS REALLY NOT TOO DIFFICULT TO HAVE A CLUB KID MISS JUST OFF FRAME ON PURPOSE!!

Again, a passive aggressive post by a coach who SHOULD know these things already or NEVER should have been a HS coach in the first place. Sweet jesus the idiots on this site asking these questions they KNOW the answer to before they ask.....eh.
Old 09-26-18, 08:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerboy08 View Post
They have a twitter page that has no problem telling you every goal scorer. Pretty sure in the 17-0 game one girl had 6 goals. Another girl had 5 goals. The player with 6 goals scored the 16th goal...

Itís one thing if these were league but I donít believe they are. Go out and find better competition in your non-league. Iím sure a D2 or D3 Cincinnati school (CCD, Madeira, SCD, Indian Hill, etc) would gladly give them a game.
I believe spencerville was a league game (11-0 score).

I am not one to get too twisted about the scores because when you look closer you usually find that it was the JV players or the defense getting to play offense for a change that does the scoring. But that doesn't seem to be the case with Anna. I guess they deserve the criticism if all you said is accurate.

That being said, I am sure the girls on the losing teams are doing ok and their hurt feelings have healed.
Old 09-26-18, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
NOT too difficult......99.9% of those teams DONT have a JV.....SO BRING YOUR ENTIRE JV UP TO PLAY THAT ONE GAME!!

Or, after 8-0, headers only or opposite footed shots only or believe it or not, ITS REALLY NOT TOO DIFFICULT TO HAVE A CLUB KID MISS JUST OFF FRAME ON PURPOSE!!

Again, a passive aggressive post by a coach who SHOULD know these things already or NEVER should have been a HS coach in the first place. Sweet jesus the idiots on this site asking these questions they KNOW the answer to before they ask.....eh.
Should quit calling people idiots.
Old 09-26-18, 08:38 PM
All Region

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Quote:

In three seasons our girls have seen a team play pass around on us, another team beat us 10-0 in a conference tourney, and win a conference game 16-1. You know what they remember most? The team playing pass around. Jed your clueless.
Old 09-26-18, 10:53 PM
All Ohio

kmac57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
Good ole Anna. They were in the discussion last year weren't they?
Irwin, what happened to Rockets? Saw then tonight against Alter. Shocking to see how far they have fallen. Do they have new coach? Talent cycle down? This must be low point for program. Did not see this coming.
Old 09-27-18, 07:03 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Parent View Post
In three seasons our girls have seen a team play pass around on us, another team beat us 10-0 in a conference tourney, and win a conference game 16-1. You know what they remember most? The team playing pass around. Jed your clueless.
Hey WEIRDO where did I say it was ok to 'pass around' a team??? Get your facts right. Was going to compliment you on at least admitting your mistake by running up the score and letting your ECNL kid score 100 goals against a crap team too, but yeah, nevermind.

your pal,

clueless jed
Old 09-27-18, 07:04 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac57 View Post
Irwin, what happened to Rockets? Saw then tonight against Alter. Shocking to see how far they have fallen. Do they have new coach? Talent cycle down? This must be low point for program. Did not see this coming.
Lost top 3 girls to DA. All of whom will probably end up D1 somewhere. They are all underclassmen so if they get an offer maybe be back next year. A fourth might have gone as well but she has already commited.

Last edited by Irwin20; 09-27-18 at 07:26 AM..
Old 09-27-18, 07:42 AM
Varsity

3343 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerboy08 View Post

I have noticed their Twitter page too......very proud of all the goals they are scoring. Even to the point of stating how the 17-0 game would put them into the OHSAA record books for goals in a game.

I said it previously on here, I watched them at some preseason friendlies do the same thing to a team. His starters played the entire match, only about 2-3 girls scored all the goals. Score ended up being 15-0 and had girls on the bench who never saw the field. Meanwhile the other team played every girl available.
Old 09-27-18, 08:08 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac57 View Post
sent you an IM
Old 09-27-18, 08:44 PM
All District

soccerfan63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3343 View Post
I have noticed their Twitter page too......very proud of all the goals they are scoring. Even to the point of stating how the 17-0 game would put them into the OHSAA record books for goals in a game.

I said it previously on here, I watched them at some preseason friendlies do the same thing to a team. His starters played the entire match, only about 2-3 girls scored all the goals. Score ended up being 15-0 and had girls on the bench who never saw the field. Meanwhile the other team played every girl available.
This happens with large well established schools also. I saw a Milford team (long time ago granted) win 11-0 in the first round of the tourney and their leading scorer had 5 goals, and was in the game up top with 5 min to play. She was lucky the other team didn't take her legs out in my opinion. I want to emphasize that this was a while ago, and the coaching staff was different. My rule always was to pull a player after a hat trick.
Old 09-27-18, 09:52 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
High School Soccer needs a Shot Clock!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: