Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #451  
Old 10-04-18, 08:57 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,284
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I wonder what's worse between basketball and football. Football is obviously the bigger moneymaker, but there are 100 guys on a team instead of 15 in basketball, so I assume the payments are higher. And because one player in basketball is way more important than one player in football.
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 10-04-18, 09:50 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,866
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Football is also more of a gamble. Basketball, if you get an elite recruit, they almost always come in and make a difference from day 1. Football, they sometimes live up to the hype, sometimes not, but even when they do it usually takes a couple years before you can really be sure.

I also think there are more insane college footbaw fans/boosters who do the dirty work for the coaches compared to basketball. Like if you're a top recruit at Alabama/OSU/Georgia/etc. you've almost certainly got some weirdo who owns 6 Arby's franchises or whatever slipping you cash from the time you arrive on campus. I don't think that culture exists to the same extent at top basketball schools.
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 10-04-18, 10:26 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,274
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Why disparage Arby’s?
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 10-09-18, 09:46 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,682
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Sounds like there is going to be some bomb dropped during testimony today.
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 10-11-18, 08:48 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,724
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
I wonder what's worse between basketball and football. Football is obviously the bigger moneymaker, but there are 100 guys on a team instead of 15 in basketball, so I assume the payments are higher. And because one player in basketball is way more important than one player in football.
Hoops, by far.

Do we hear much about these type of things in football? Back in the day, yeah, with SMU and such but I think that boosters realize their money goes further in basketball as you just need 1-2 players to change the direction of the program.

If you can bring in a difference maker like that a couple of times and the program is successful then it becomes a landing ground for great players to go there on the level so yeah, I believe that this will continue but they will be much more careful.

Had to laugh that Roy Williams was staying he was dumbfounded that these sort of things happened when he had an academic scandal with basically fake classes and degrees iand then he also brought along that educator to his next stop!
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 10-11-18, 09:12 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,682
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/black-o...230932446.html

This guy sounds like a complete snake. I wonder how credible he will be in the eyes of the jury.
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 10-11-18, 11:04 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,724
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Indiana getting any blowback on this?
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 10-11-18, 11:56 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,682
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
None that I know of.

I don't think the punishments will be severe considering they have strength in numbers. U of L will probably get the worst of it considering they are already on probation for the strippers
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 10-11-18, 02:15 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,899
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
This issue could be solved very easily. Take the equipment provider away from the coach. Put someone in the athletic department, or better yet the business office in charge of uniforms and gear. Make it illegal for coaches and athletic departments to get free gear from Nike/ Under Armour, Addidas, etc. They pay for their gear just like everyone else. Lord knows they have the money.
This will take out the back room deals and free crap that kids get and sell.
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 10-11-18, 02:27 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,284
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Or we could just stop pretending like college athletics isn't a business and that these athletes aren't "amateurs" who aren't there to get a degree.
Reply With Quote
  #461  
Old 10-11-18, 05:54 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,682
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
This issue could be solved very easily. Take the equipment provider away from the coach. Put someone in the athletic department, or better yet the business office in charge of uniforms and gear. Make it illegal for coaches and athletic departments to get free gear from Nike/ Under Armour, Addidas, etc. They pay for their gear just like everyone else. Lord knows they have the money.
This will take out the back room deals and free crap that kids get and sell.
What a terrible idea
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 10-11-18, 07:38 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,111
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Or we could just stop pretending like college athletics isn't a business and that these athletes aren't "amateurs" who aren't there to get a degree.
and remove it from the colleges and put it where it belongs, in the private sector?

Push comes to shove, it's still the college name selling the game. No one goes to minor league football. Nike isn't looking to minor league ball players to sell their logo. Nebraska is pitiful and still packing them in. Would the Lincoln Logs do the same?

I agree it's an economic mess but the players are still still getting add it up, more than just room, board and tuition which in itself can come to several hundred thousand. It's their choice to find an alternate route to their degree or bigger paycheck. But college is there for academics and whatever sports can contribute to the academic environment. Kick it off campus before professionalizing it, my preference.
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 10-12-18, 07:19 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,899
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
What a terrible idea
Ok, nice thought. Now how about a little explanation? And do you have a solution?
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 10-12-18, 07:27 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,899
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Or we could just stop pretending like college athletics isn't a business and that these athletes aren't "amateurs" who aren't there to get a degree.
ronnie that's usually one of the first points that are brought up. But look a little closer. How many D1 college football and basketball players are caught up in this? Very, very few. Still, even today...over 90% of these D1 college football and basketball players will NOT play professionally. Most know it. And unlike your accusation, most are still in college to get a degree.

College sports IS big business, but not for all schools. Yes, Ohio State, Kansas, Kentucky, Alabama, etc. But not Harvard, Bowling Green, South Dakota State....in fact, the list of the "have nots" far outweigh the "haves". I'll use Ohio State as an example because they are right here, and I'm not a fan. But Ohio State, through tradition, great recruiting and coaching, has built a "mega-corporation" like an Apple or Nike. Why should the guy that was hired last week get in on millions of the company profits?? That player, not only getting an athletic scholarship at a top flight school that produces several NFL caliber talent year in an year out....IS MOST CERTAINLY part of the deal.
Sure that kid can go to Bowling Green or Ohio U, but will they get noticed there?
Just because there is 8-10% of college programs that make mega millions, let's not change the rules for the other 200+ schools.
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 10-12-18, 01:04 PM
Tardis Tardis is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-31-09
Posts: 1,003
Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
ronnie that's usually one of the first points that are brought up. But look a little closer. How many D1 college football and basketball players are caught up in this? Very, very few. Still, even today...over 90% of these D1 college football and basketball players will NOT play professionally. Most know it. And unlike your accusation, most are still in college to get a degree.

College sports IS big business, but not for all schools. Yes, Ohio State, Kansas, Kentucky, Alabama, etc. But not Harvard, Bowling Green, South Dakota State....in fact, the list of the "have nots" far outweigh the "haves". I'll use Ohio State as an example because they are right here, and I'm not a fan. But Ohio State, through tradition, great recruiting and coaching, has built a "mega-corporation" like an Apple or Nike. Why should the guy that was hired last week get in on millions of the company profits?? That player, not only getting an athletic scholarship at a top flight school that produces several NFL caliber talent year in an year out....IS MOST CERTAINLY part of the deal.
Sure that kid can go to Bowling Green or Ohio U, but will they get noticed there?
Just because there is 8-10% of college programs that make mega millions, let's not change the rules for the other 200+ schools.
The amateurism of individual athletes aside this is good point when devising solutions to a perceived problems. More then likely any new rules will disproportionately hurt the the majority of schools as the Ohio State's, Texas's, USC's, etc. have the capital and political power to handle more regulations. If anything it just ensures they stay at the top and hurts other schools ability to compete.

It's like most regulations, the unintended consequence is that the short term pain helps the big company, who can absorb the loss, and in the long run just hurts the smaller companies who can't take on the cost.

From a sports perspective you can see it in European soccer. UEFA instituted a bunch of Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules to make sure clubs weren't just throwing money around and to slow the influence of foreign money. Instead of a more level playing field all it has done is made all of the countries leagues less competitive, with a few clubs Juventas (Italy), Bayern (Germany), Real Madrid and Barcelona (Spain) being even more dominate, and the foreign owned teams (Chelsea, Manchester City, Paris St. Germain) even stronger because no one else can afford to disrupt the status quo.
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 10-12-18, 03:45 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,899
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
The amateurism of individual athletes aside this is good point when devising solutions to a perceived problems. More then likely any new rules will disproportionately hurt the the majority of schools as the Ohio State's, Texas's, USC's, etc. have the capital and political power to handle more regulations. If anything it just ensures they stay at the top and hurts other schools ability to compete.

It's like most regulations, the unintended consequence is that the short term pain helps the big company, who can absorb the loss, and in the long run just hurts the smaller companies who can't take on the cost.

From a sports perspective you can see it in European soccer. UEFA instituted a bunch of Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules to make sure clubs weren't just throwing money around and to slow the influence of foreign money. Instead of a more level playing field all it has done is made all of the countries leagues less competitive, with a few clubs Juventas (Italy), Bayern (Germany), Real Madrid and Barcelona (Spain) being even more dominate, and the foreign owned teams (Chelsea, Manchester City, Paris St. Germain) even stronger because no one else can afford to disrupt the status quo.
And this is where the really interesting dynamic comes in. Who reports it. The national sports media NEEDS to have excitement and eyeballs on their products to stay relevant and make money. They will in no way shape or form knock the current system as it keeps the money coming in and keeps the college playoff and March Madness rolling.
But is it truly the best system for all? Of course not.
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 10-15-18, 08:44 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: North Side
Posts: 9,792
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
The amateurism of individual athletes aside this is good point when devising solutions to a perceived problems. More then likely any new rules will disproportionately hurt the the majority of schools as the Ohio State's, Texas's, USC's, etc. have the capital and political power to handle more regulations. If anything it just ensures they stay at the top and hurts other schools ability to compete.

It's like most regulations, the unintended consequence is that the short term pain helps the big company, who can absorb the loss, and in the long run just hurts the smaller companies who can't take on the cost.

From a sports perspective you can see it in European soccer. UEFA instituted a bunch of Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules to make sure clubs weren't just throwing money around and to slow the influence of foreign money. Instead of a more level playing field all it has done is made all of the countries leagues less competitive, with a few clubs Juventas (Italy), Bayern (Germany), Real Madrid and Barcelona (Spain) being even more dominate, and the foreign owned teams (Chelsea, Manchester City, Paris St. Germain) even stronger because no one else can afford to disrupt the status quo.
That was exactly what anyone who pays attention to the game expected to happen.

The sports has been headed towards a European super league model for some time now and this was just another step in that direction.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bachelor in Paradise Scandal Yappi General Board 4 06-13-17 02:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz