Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-11-18, 08:57 PM
All District

soccerfan63 is on a distinguished road
Private training current team members

Just curious what people think of a coach accepting payment for private training players on his current roster. Ethical or not?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-18, 08:54 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Whats wrong with it? The club pays them to coach X number of days so whats wrong with a parent wanting to pay for additional training?
Old 03-12-18, 09:56 AM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
we talkin hs or club? coach does your thoughts change if its hs?
Old 03-12-18, 08:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
Whats wrong with it? The club pays them to coach X number of days so whats wrong with a parent wanting to pay for additional training?
Conflict of interest. Player X's parents slip coach an extra $50 every week and the player gets special treatment.

Just like a teacher who tutors his own students for pay after school. Teacher goes over the same questions that are on the test and the student gains an advantage.

In this particular case, player X starts every game and plays the entire game up front, while others are neglected. At the very least, there is an appearance of bias which is not good for the team.

Not ethical at all. In some clubs and in many schools, this practice is prohibited.

My opinion, just seeing if I was in the minority here...
Old 03-13-18, 09:05 AM
All Region

Upper 90 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, just my opinion but I always thought the practice was a little awkward at best. Small groups of 2-3 players getting extra training makes more sense, have a parent organize a rotation of players or sign ups in Google docs and collect the money and pay the coach in advance for the sessions. This makes it more affordable and takes out the weirdness of seeing a coach training one player.
Old 03-14-18, 04:37 PM
Varsity

fearthekeeper is on a distinguished road
It’s a slippery slope for sure. If they truly have the kids best interest and development in mind it’s OK. However, too many times club/HS coaches position the private training sessions as a pathway to more playing time, making the top team etc. look no further than the current SUA coach. He’s notorious for marketing his personal training business as the path to make teams, get playing time etc. many parents buy into his BS and think their kid will get special treatment if they put extra money in his pocket. I heard he was actually asked to leave his last club because he hijacked their parent database and was marketing his personal services over the club. Not sure how accurate that is, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
Old 03-14-18, 04:38 PM
Varsity

fearthekeeper is on a distinguished road
Itís a slippery slope for sure. If they truly have the kids best interest and development in mind itís OK. However, too many times club/HS coaches position the private training sessions as a pathway to more playing time, making the top team etc. look no further than the current SUA coach. Heís notorious for marketing his personal training business as the path to make teams, get playing time etc. many parents buy into his BS and think their kid will get special treatment if they put extra money in his pocket. I heard he was actually asked to leave his last club because he hijacked their parent database and was marketing his personal services over the club. Not sure how accurate that is, but it wouldnít surprise me.
Old 03-19-18, 08:19 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusCrunch View Post
we talkin hs or club? coach does your thoughts change if its hs?
Maybe if the coach abuses it or makes "mandatory". Was this coach training this player prior to them being in HS? For sure some ethical issues. I would never charge my HS player for additional help I feel like that is part of my job. I wonder if OHSAA has any rules about it?
Old 03-21-18, 09:05 PM
All District

I don't think it matters whether it is HS or Club. The exchange of money between the player's parents and the coach is an ethical breach. If the coach offers extra training, it should be offered to all players for free, or all of the parents should agree that they want extra training and add that to the team fees to compensate the coach. Tell the players you are going to work extra after practice and offer it to everyone.

If a player wants extra, individual training, then it should be done by a trainer that is not the trainer for the team she plays on. Have her train with your buddy or another coach in the club.

We have too many trainers who are looking at the deep pockets of parents as a source of income.

From a parent's perspective, this can be seen as a sort of pay to play option.

From other parent's perspective, it looks suspicious and smells of favoritism. Perception is everything whether the coach provides an unfair advantage to that player or not.
Old 03-29-18, 05:48 AM
All Region

Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
If your paying the coach/trainer for private lessons outside of practice most parents know what they are up to. It's called manipulating....
1. They are paying the coach extra so they are well liked.
2. It will give that player an advantage and of course the coach will play them more.

In my opinion the coach should tell the player and family that he would like to work with them but they should use someone else within the club, and then that coach can help find someone for them.

Unfortunately that will never happen and that is why there is so many unhappy people in club sports.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: