Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-04-18, 06:43 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post
That's highly unlikely in my opinion since the only way Meyer is exonerated is if everything that has come out or speculated on so far is a complete fabrication. The investigation would need to show something along the lines of Shelley Meyer either didn't know (the whole narrative is a made up story) or didn't tell husband Urban (haha would anyone really believe that). I don't see either of those scenarios being likely right now.

My three thoughts on the whole thing depending on what mood I'm in:
1. It's not a criminal offense so what's the big deal
2. The Title IX language is in Meyer's contract for a reason and a contract is a contract. In this day and age anything and everything needs to be reported to any university
3. If Meyer ends up falling on his own sword for Zach freakin Smith I'm pissed
I'm pissed too,Urban goes down they better take the sleepy AD with him for sure...BAM!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-18, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
"Hey guys, just remembered but I did have talks about these incidents and also reported them. Had a brain fart and was surprised reporters asked me about the guy I'd fired the day before. Silly me."

Of course Zach Smith says he told Urban about the incident but Meyer didn't ask for any details.

And you can hate ESPN all you want but Brett McMurphy is currently unemployed though ESPN is still paying his severance package which states he can't work for another company.
If he did report it then it should be fairly easy to prove so I donít really see the purpose of your incredulity
Old 08-04-18, 01:11 PM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
If he did report it then it should be fairly easy to prove so I donít really see the purpose of your incredulity
What are your impressions of Gene Smith?
Old 08-04-18, 01:30 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Then jump right out in front of everything and say we have record of Urban reporting the incident in question. We're investigating how it was handled from there. OSU would've still had questions to answer but Urban's probably not on paid leave and the face of your school isn't taking the media/public opinion beating he currently is. IF Meyer told his bosses then the ball's in their court to properly investigate. I doubt anyone would expect the Head Coach to investigate his players/coaches? That'd be up to someone else with the AD or school.
Old 08-04-18, 02:14 PM
All Yappi

Do you think Urban’s lawyers would have let him say he reported the incident, in what was obviously a carefully crafted statement, if it was false? That would be insane to me, but I suppose not out of the question. Like I said, it should be a very easy thing to prove
Old 08-04-18, 03:45 PM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1 is on a distinguished road
OSU can't saying anything because if the do it will appear they are trying to influence the investigation.
Old 08-04-18, 04:38 PM
All American

They could've the day after the questions were asked on July, 25...They knew at that point there was going to be additional questions. Maybe not the entire article but they'd be called to answer to something. The investigation didn't start for another week.
Old 08-04-18, 06:28 PM
All Region

Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
There's a NFLX series called "QB1:Beyond The Lights" and it follows a few of the highest ranked QBs from the 2016 HS Season, including Tate Martell. Honestly, there's a ton of red flags with this kid. He's a huge Dbag, almost a Manziel clone.
Old 08-04-18, 06:33 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
If Meyer did report it, OSU as an institution may be in some hot water.
Old 08-04-18, 06:37 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Why?
Old 08-04-18, 06:38 PM
All World

Thinking is hard
Old 08-04-18, 06:40 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Unless the incident was reported and investigated by the police department and it ended there. Happens every day. At that point what does OSU and or Meyer do ? Especially if this scenario repeated itself over and over.
Old 08-04-18, 06:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
Unless the incident was reported and investigated by the police department and it ended there. Happens every day.
If true, sounds like the university didnt investigate properly which ultimately kept a serial woman abuser on staff.
Old 08-04-18, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If true, sounds like the university didnt investigate properly.
Should the university then investigate the police department investigation after following procedure ?
Old 08-04-18, 06:47 PM
All World

Title 9 investigations arent solely conducted by the police....
Old 08-04-18, 06:51 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Thinking is hard
What should they have done? Police declined to press charges. I'd say it's reasonable for OSU officials to defer to what law enforcement decides in matters of criminal behavior. In fact I'd say it's the prudent thing to do.

Once charges were brought, he was fired immediately. If you'd have liked him to be fired earlier, speak to the Powell PD and/or his wife who declined to press charges.
Old 08-04-18, 07:05 PM
All Region

Killer Joe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
What should they have done? Police declined to press charges. I'd say it's reasonable for OSU officials to defer to what law enforcement decides in matters of criminal behavior. In fact I'd say it's the prudent thing to do.

Once charges were brought, he was fired immediately. If you'd have liked him to be fired earlier, speak to the Powell PD and/or his wife who declined to press charges.
From what I understand is that they renewed his contract at least twice since 2015. If they knew that there was a potential issue, they could have simply chose not to renew his contract. It then comes down to a moral issue versus a criminal one...
Old 08-05-18, 12:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post

I'm not trying to make any claims to what happened on these incidents, but with my background in LE I can say it's not usually the police that refuse to press charges in DV cases. One, if there were visible marks Ohio law states the aggressor should be arrested. Sometimes the primary aggressor can't be determined at which point you try to have them go their opposite ways for the evening and turn things over to the prosecutor. There's also the option for the alleged victim to sign charges which are then arrestable.

Arrest in no way means a conviction. Matter fact I'd say only about 1-10 in my experience got a conviction or some type of agreement. It's not because the prosecution or police refused to take the case to court, it's because the victim refused to follow through with the charges for whatever reason. Yes, the prosecution can still try the case. But try getting up in front of a judge/jury without a victim as much as confirming photos from the incident or statements are actually them. I've even seen victims get on the stand and take the alleged abusers side when it was an open and shut case in terms of what happened at the time of the incident. So the prosecution drops the charges due to lack of victim cooperation.

Again, this is not trying to claim any of this happened in case of the Smiths.

Also, police can't just release info to OSU or any other employer. The can, by law, provide them with the same information available to anyone else during an open records search.

The things being reported about Powell PD's dealings with both sides and possibly the university appear to be so unethical I find them hard to believe. If it were a couple things...sure I can see it. To believe they just stopped responding to 911 calls would cost every single person with knowledge their jobs and most likely felony charges by the Attorney General.
Old 08-06-18, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

Mentor and brianwr are going to be VERY rattled if Urban is coaching this year
Old 08-06-18, 11:44 AM
All Region

nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontetheCarlo View Post
What are your impressions of Gene Smith?
A lot better than most posters on this site.

You can't just take a case like this and choose what level of responsible party you want to stop at. There are two ways to approach it, anything else is just bias.

1. Responsibility stops with the person committing the crime. At this point we don't even know if Zack Smith is really a criminal or not. We have accusations from an ex-wife.

2. Responsibility stops at the level the reporting went to. Basically - who didn't do their job of kicking it upstream.

Number 1 needs to be settled before moving on to number 2.
I sure hope the university doesn't fire a good coach (or AD) over a 'maybe happened'.
Old 08-06-18, 12:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Mentor and brianwr are going to be VERY rattled if Urban is coaching this year
Rattled? Urban staying at OSU actually probably helps me in terms of the team I root for. If he's a FA someone in the SEC will say screw his past and give him another shot.
Old 08-07-18, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

You seem pretty rattled already
Old 08-11-18, 09:04 AM
Varsity

bob99 is on a distinguished road
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-...223132593.html