Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-17-18, 09:14 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
The MLB threatened to take over amateur baseball. It was said on the MLB network.
And just how was MLB going to come in and "take over amatuer baseball? (don't listen to TV guys, they are less informed than most posters on here)

Quote:
Most states did not have a pitch count and there were horror stories.
Might want to re-read my post as I said the same thing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
The NFHS had allowed their member schools to institute pitching regulations long before pitch counts became a concern with MLB. While most states used an innings based formula (Ohio was 10 inning over a 3 day rolling period) some such a Vermont used actual pitch counts back as far as the early 90's. The NFHS Rules Committee started seeking addition data around 2010 with regards to pitch counts and found that the actual count was a more reliable standard to judge overuse of young arms than innings pitched.

That overuse concern, backed by the data (facts) caused the NFHS to mandate states to implement their own pitch count regulations.

Wanting to be like MLB had nothing to do with this change. It was a 100% safety driven directive.

Quote:
Don't tell me about the NFHS. It is a national organization of state high school athletic associations. Quit trying to give it Federal status.
No sure what you mean here..... This is the third time that you have posted correctly that the NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations) consists of state associations.

Those separate associations who conform to the rules set forth by the NFHS are eligible to be selected to have a seat on the respective rules committees for specific sports. Those committee members meet annually to discuss proposed rules changes brought forward by other NFHS committee members. Having a seat on the NFHS rules committee is coveted by over 80% of the state associations and is the reason why Ohio will not invoke a shot clock reguation without it being a NFHS rule or NFHS State Adoption.

There is nothing Federal about the organization and nowhere have I ever stated or inferred that it was.

Last edited by AllSports12; 10-17-18 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 10:45 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
My inference is that the NFHS is made up of state organizations. It has no authority at all in and of itself. If a state organization wants to make a change, it can make it without the NFHS. In regards to the shot clock, at least 8 association have. So stop making bringing up the NFSHSA. It is only important if the state organization decides to make it important. Who cares? I get it that Ohio will not do it without the NFHS adoption. That has nothing to do with whether that the shot clock or pitch count or whatever is an appropriate rule change. Same thing with kick offs in football or targeting or whatever. A state association should not wait to install a rule or regulation if it thinks it is the correct thing to do.
Old 10-17-18, 10:49 PM
All Region

MLB could institute a league for amateur baseball or establish rules that they would like to see happen, provide funding, provide coaching and you would see programs flock to their league. It would crush other authorities. You are already starting to see proxy leagues or organizations spring up like Cal Ripkin and Perfect Game to name 2. I often wonder why the MLB and the NBA have not done it already.
Old 10-17-18, 11:11 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
MLB could institute a league for amateur baseball or establish rules that they would like to see happen, provide funding, provide coaching and you would see programs flock to their league. It would crush other authorities. You are already starting to see proxy leagues or organizations spring up like Cal Ripkin and Perfect Game to name 2. I often wonder why the MLB and the NBA have not done it already.
Lol. That is nothing like mlb taking over amateur baseball.

Lots of people or organizations can start competing leagues. Doesn't mean high School old basketball needs a shot clock.
Old 10-18-18, 06:33 AM
All World

Quote:
My inference is that the NFHS is made up of state organizations. It has no authority at all in and of itself. If a state organization wants to make a change, it can make it without the NFHS. In regards to the shot clock, at least 8 association have. So stop making bringing up the NFSHSA. It is only important if the state organization decides to make it important. Who cares? I get it that Ohio will not do it without the NFHS adoption. That has nothing to do with whether that the shot clock or pitch count or whatever is an appropriate rule change. Same thing with kick offs in football or targeting or whatever. A state association should not wait to install a rule or regulation if it thinks it is the correct thing to do.
Not sure why someone or a group of people would voluntarily join and remain a member of an organization if that organization didn't provide some sort of benefit to them.

The FED's been around for 98 years. There's lots more to it than establishing playing rules for it's member organizations.

It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 10-18-18, 06:35 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Question - what does everyone think about Ohio getting a shot clock?

Pages of opinions, except when it comes to winbypin, who thinks this isn't a debate.

FACT - it doesn't need it!!!!!!!!!!! Because I said so!!!!!!!!

You need to go back to fact vs opinion class.
Old 10-18-18, 07:27 AM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
Can we make something clear here, regardless of what side you're on:

Data points, on their surface, are factual statistics. Your data being factual does not make your argument factual. There's a BIG difference.

Just because a data point backs up your argument, it does not prove your argument is right (or wrong). Data is an important piece to any decision, but not the end-all-be-all. There are plenty of stats, anecdotes and evidence on both sides of the argument. Stats, alone, don't tell the complete story.

If the powers that control this decision are JUST looking at statistics, and not talking to a wide range of good coaches and ADs, they're making a mistake.
Can’t use facts or data, can’t use opinion, so just listen to you! Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 10-18-18, 07:30 AM
All District

Quote:
I am using AAU as a defense to the point that it seems to be very popular with the players and my guess it is because that the game mimics what they see in college and in the NBA. I hate all the other nonsense that goes around it. It is ruining amateur athletics.
And when these kids don’t win, because most of the lower to middle tier Aau organizations are poorly ran, they jump ship and go to another team. This is exactly what is causing the problems in high school athletics. They want to mimic something that they shouldn’t be, and the so called adults profit off of their and their parents ($$$), ignorance! You seem to fall perfectly into that category!
Old 10-18-18, 07:32 AM
All District

Quote:
Thanks Webster.
Can’t make an intelligent comeback, call a person names! Lol
Old 10-18-18, 08:54 AM
All American

Yeah, that derogatory dictionary reference is so hurtful.
Old 10-18-18, 09:07 AM
All District

Quote:
Yeah, that derogatory dictionary reference is so hurtful.
Again, no legitimate response, deflect? LOL
Old 10-18-18, 10:31 AM
All Region

goshengophers is on a distinguished road
I wish there was a clock on this thread LOL
Old 10-18-18, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Question - what does everyone think about Ohio getting a shot clock?

Pages of opinions, except when it comes to winbypin, who thinks this isn't a debate.

FACT - it doesn't need it!!!!!!!!!!! Because I said so!!!!!!!!

You need to go back to fact vs opinion class.
I am sorry you aren't doing so well in this thread.
Old 10-18-18, 01:21 PM
All American

The funny thing is you think you are.

It's amazing how you think you're so right when public opinion is vastly swayed towards introducing a shot clock. It takes a special avoidance of self awareness to think you're "winning" here.

Peach baskets and underhand free throws next?
Old 10-18-18, 01:32 PM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It's amazing how you think you're so right when public opinion is vastly swayed towards introducing a shot clock. It takes a special avoidance of self awareness to think you're "winning" here.

Do you have evidence that proves this?
Old 10-18-18, 02:44 PM
All American

It's called common sense. And there's plenty of evidence to support the want, you just refuse to admit it.

We're not on trial here.
Old 10-18-18, 03:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Oh wait, one more:

Always wanting to get in the last word.

The irony....... 6 days and 27 posts later on the subject the last word is by.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I am sorry you aren't doing so well in this thread.
Quote:

Goshengophers nailed it.... the clock has run out on this.....

time to move along...
Old 10-18-18, 11:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It's called common sense. And there's plenty of evidence to support the want, you just refuse to admit it.

We're not on trial here.
If there is plenty of evidence then surely you can provide some to support your argument.

No, we're not on trial but you and your five friends aren't really "plenty of evidence" either.

I am really sorry that you're having such a hard time in here.

Last edited by winbypin; 10-19-18 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 07:20 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshengophers View Post
I wish there was a clock on this thread LOL
Winning quote.
Old 10-19-18, 08:36 PM
All American

Just read about the percentages in various state polls about the high percentage that want a shot clock.

I'm not posting them, but we both know they exist.

You'll continue to hide behind "well you didn't post anything so it must be false" premise. Whatever, that's fine.

I'm very comfortable with my point of view, and WHEN this becomes a reality in 5-10 years, you will say you were for it all along. It's what you do.

Bye.
Old 10-20-18, 02:25 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just read about the percentages in various state polls about the high percentage that want a shot clock.

I'm not posting them, but we both know they exist.

You'll continue to hide behind "well you didn't post anything so it must be false" premise. Whatever, that's fine.

I'm very comfortable with my point of view, and WHEN this becomes a reality in 5-10 years, you will say you were for it all along. It's what you do.

Bye.
Sorry, your post does not count as it was fired up after the post clock had expired. Please keep posts to the required 1hour window following the previous post. This post does not count as well since I am outside of the 1 hour response time.

Next poster has until 4:25 AM to beat the post shot clock or face a non qualifying attempt.
Old 10-20-18, 05:49 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
bzzzzz

drat!

2tk, those are some records for whiney you're putting up and no shot clock would be needed to keep you from firing them up on time. The world isn't threatened because people disagree over a high school rule. Present your preference, your reasoning and your evidence and let people do with it what they will.
Old 10-20-18, 03:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
bzzzzz

drat!

2tk, those are some records for whiney you're putting up and no shot clock would be needed to keep you from firing them up on time. The world isn't threatened because people disagree over a high school rule. Present your preference, your reasoning and your evidence and let people do with it what they will.
I have no idea what this means.
Old 10-22-18, 06:38 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
And when these kids don’t win, because most of the lower to middle tier Aau organizations are poorly ran, they jump ship and go to another team. This is exactly what is causing the problems in high school athletics. They want to mimic something that they shouldn’t be, and the so called adults profit off of their and their parents ($$$), ignorance! You seem to fall perfectly into that category!
Everything was good with your answer until taking a swipe at me. I didn't even play high school basketball because I wasn't good enough. But I went to a bunch of games in junior high and high school because it was a fun night out and cheering for your team was a gas. I did play rec ball though and I coached some rec teams too. My kid does not play high school basketball but he swims. For years I went to high school games to cheer on my old school and support my local district and my kid liked to go. I stopped because the game bored the hell out of me. AAU was not even around much in my world when I was a kid. But that is all I hear about. Most scouting is done in AAU. Most of the nonsense is done in AAU because it is run like the wild, wild west. My guess kids play AAU ball (even the average players) because it is somewhat the same game that they watch on TV. Don't tell me that kids are wrong for doing that. It is the same reason we all pretended to be Pete Rose or Johnny Bench or whomever back in the day.
Old 10-22-18, 06:42 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Not sure why someone or a group of people would voluntarily join and remain a member of an organization if that organization didn't provide some sort of benefit to them.

The FED's been around for 98 years. There's lots more to it than establishing playing rules for it's member organizations.

It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Like what and again who cares? Again, it is a voluntary organization. What they say has no bearing on whether a state high school athletic association thinks one should change a rule or not?
Old 10-22-18, 08:24 PM
All Yappi

Just when we thought this one was dead....