Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Mentor by 17+ 12 22.64%
Mentor by 8-16 19 35.85%
Mentor by 1-7 13 24.53%
Olentangy Liberty by 1-7 9 16.98%
Olentangy Liberty 8-16 0 0%
Olentangy Liberty by 17+ 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-17, 08:36 AM
Venerated Poster

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
D I State Semifinal: Mentor (12-1) vs Olentangy Liberty (11-2)

Perhaps not the two expected teams, but a very good matchup. I like Mentor in a tight defensive battle
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-17, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Certainly not the expected teams meeting here. Liberty sounds like they had a dominant performance against an undefeated Whitmer team. Dominated Whitmer on both sides of the ball. On paper, this is supposed to be an "easier" game than the previous two. But that would be foolish for anyone on Mentor to have that mindset. The previous two times Mentor beat Ignatius/Eds in back to back weeks in the playoffs was in 2012 and 2013. In both cases, they lost the next game. Both opponents (Whitmer and Moeller) were very good. But how much did emotional fatigue play a factor? Let's hope there isn't a let down.
Old 11-18-17, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
I'm assuming Liberty is very good after beating down Whitmer. I never expected Mentor to get this far. Hoping they can keep it going.

Wonder where this game will be played ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-17, 10:04 AM
All World

murphy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
I'm assuming Liberty is very good after beating down Whitmer. I never expected Mentor to get this far. Hoping they can keep it going.

Wonder where this game will be played ?

Canton or Mansfield?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-17, 10:07 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Cal Preps has this one

Mentor 35 Liberty 21
Old 11-18-17, 10:32 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
I'm not that surprised that Liberty is where they are. I was pretty confident that someone was going to beat Whitmer; I just wasn't sure who. IMO, it should have been Olentangy last week, rather than Liberty this week, but it really doesn't matter either way.

This should be a pretty entertaining game against a couple of teams that are probably going to look across the line of scrimmage, and see a mirror image of themselves. In fact, I think the Colerain/Picktown Central game is the same in that regard, which is pretty interesting.

Both sets of coaches in both games are going to be game planning this week with the question of, "How would I beat us?"
Old 11-18-17, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy13 View Post
Canton or Mansfield?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Can bet safely on Arlin

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-17, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

Canton ,Akron , Mansfield or Sandusky I'm guessing. I'm betting Mansfield

Old 11-18-17, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Ashland and Mansfield are good midway locations. Mansfield is getting these games lately. A safe bet indeed it will be at Arlin. Does Ashland (the high school or university) host playoff games?

Mentor played Whitmer at Arlin in 2012. Pretty cool stadium. I'm happy to see them have the opportunity to return in a state semifinal. Hopefully we get a different result this time around.
Old 11-18-17, 11:30 AM
Varsity

KCOOLHIT
This is an interesting matchup and yes, defensive play will be obviously important in my opinion. I feel the determining factor in THIS game will be QB play. This is why I pick Mentor in a close game. Liberty is a very good team and I am interested to see how this plays out.
Old 11-18-17, 11:34 AM
All District

Hazardous Whippet is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Ashland and Mansfield are good midway locations. Mansfield is getting these games lately. A safe bet indeed it will be at Arlin. Does Ashland (the high school or university) host playoff games?
They just got finished hosting Shelby & Bellevue last night so yes.
Old 11-18-17, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

If it isn't arlin I would be shocked. No way they are putting in canton, Akron or Sandusky. Not even on the table due to location.

Old 11-18-17, 11:40 AM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
Game officially at Arlin per OHSAA brackets.
Old 11-18-17, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

Long trip for us. Will be a fun trip there. Hopes it's as fun on the way back ..

Old 11-18-17, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
I'd have put Mentor vs. Colerain and Liberty vs. Pickerington as
a double header in Columbus.

:>---

this post brought to you by MTG
Old 11-18-17, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Good luck Mentor!
Old 11-18-17, 08:38 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
The way Mentor is playing, I have a feeling they blowout Liberty. Although I have never seen Liberty, I have been at the last 2 Mentor games as they beat 2 excellent top ranked teams in Ed's and Ignatius. I would love to go to this, but it is about 3 hours for a potential blowout. What does Liberty do on offense? How is their QB? Do they throw it a lot? Thoughts/opinions??
Old 11-18-17, 09:29 PM
All Yappi

D I State Semifinal: Mentor (12-1) vs Olentangy Liberty (11-2)

How can you it's a blowout being from Erie PA and never even seeing Liberty ?

I don't see any blowouts with the way this Mentor team plays. But them playing different could (hopefully ) help them finally win it all.

I never expected to get here. But I think these teams all got some shot

Old 11-18-17, 11:37 PM
Varsity

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
I think the one thing we know for certain, based on many different data points, is that R2 is very, very soft. The 2 blowout losses by Liberty to Pick north and Wayne, the lack of any big name wins by R2 teams vs. someone big outside of R2, these are all clues

The first thing I'll caution Mentor folks on is to not be so impressed by the Whitmer win, any team can have an undefeated record when you load up on D2/D3 Tomato cans. Whitmer could have lost to Lorain, should have lost to Olentangy (outgained by nearly 200 yards), and finally did lose to Liberty, and lost badly.

Having seen this Whitmer team play on back to back weeks now, I can very safely say they wouldn't have been even remotely undefeated had they played in Liberty's league, and probably would have had 3/4 losses playing in a league like OCC Ohio with Pick Central/North, Gahanna, Reynoldsburg, those are all teams quite capable of beating that Whitmer team.

But you should definitely respect the fact that Liberty has made it here 2 years in a row. This year's team is very solid in most aspects of the game, but lacks the spectacular athletes they had last year in White and Drew Rosi (his brother is a good player but more an interior lineman, Drew is already getting playing time for Toledo at TE and was unblockable in the final 4 game last year as a DE).

This year's Liberty team a notch below last year's in ability, but wasn't exposed due to the extremely soft teams in R2. They do everything well, nothing spectacularly really. If you can cover Wiseman and stay away from throwing it near him when he's on D, and you can avoid leaving crater-sized holes for Webb or the QB to run thru, they probably can't score a lot of points.

I know nothing about Mentor, haven't seen them play, but have seen pieces of several St Eds and Iggy games to respect what they've been able to do the past 2 weeks. If Mentor has a balanced offense and multiple targets to throw to who are dependable, they should win this game.

Most Likely Result: much like last year's semi, Liberty hangs around but loses by 2 scores in the end

Possible Result: a Mentor blowout if their lines matchup with Liberty and their offense performs as well as it has the last 2 games (and all season).

Shocking Result: I would be shocked if Liberty wins, it would take turnover luck and/or special teams screwups for Liberty to win this game, unless I've completely misjudged the strength of the teams in R1, which is possible because I rarely ever see and public school games from R1.
Old 11-19-17, 12:27 AM
All Yappi

Won't be a blowout I don't think. This is a different type of mentor team, which may actually benefit their quest for a title.

Old 11-19-17, 12:35 AM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Mentor seems to be playing its best defense in the playoffs. They've been here before, but this is the first year it wasn't via shootout wins. Think that'll help them here. Good luck Cards
Old 11-19-17, 01:16 AM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post
I think the one thing we know for certain, based on many different data points, is that R2 is very, very soft. The 2 blowout losses by Liberty to Pick north and Wayne, the lack of any big name wins by R2 teams vs. someone big outside of R2, these are all clues

The first thing I'll caution Mentor folks on is to not be so impressed by the Whitmer win, any team can have an undefeated record when you load up on D2/D3 Tomato cans. Whitmer could have lost to Lorain, should have lost to Olentangy (outgained by nearly 200 yards), and finally did lose to Liberty, and lost badly.

Having seen this Whitmer team play on back to back weeks now, I can very safely say they wouldn't have been even remotely undefeated had they played in Liberty's league, and probably would have had 3/4 losses playing in a league like OCC Ohio with Pick Central/North, Gahanna, Reynoldsburg, those are all teams quite capable of beating that Whitmer team.

But you should definitely respect the fact that Liberty has made it here 2 years in a row. This year's team is very solid in most aspects of the game, but lacks the spectacular athletes they had last year in White and Drew Rosi (his brother is a good player but more an interior lineman, Drew is already getting playing time for Toledo at TE and was unblockable in the final 4 game last year as a DE).

This year's Liberty team a notch below last year's in ability, but wasn't exposed due to the extremely soft teams in R2. They do everything well, nothing spectacularly really. If you can cover Wiseman and stay away from throwing it near him when he's on D, and you can avoid leaving crater-sized holes for Webb or the QB to run thru, they probably can't score a lot of points.

I know nothing about Mentor, haven't seen them play, but have seen pieces of several St Eds and Iggy games to respect what they've been able to do the past 2 weeks. If Mentor has a balanced offense and multiple targets to throw to who are dependable, they should win this game.

Most Likely Result: much like last year's semi, Liberty hangs around but loses by 2 scores in the end

Possible Result: a Mentor blowout if their lines matchup with Liberty and their offense performs as well as it has the last 2 games (and all season).

Shocking Result: I would be shocked if Liberty wins, it would take turnover luck and/or special teams screwups for Liberty to win this game, unless I've completely misjudged the strength of the teams in R1, which is possible because I rarely ever see and public school games from R1.
Generally correct. Liberty's team last year was much more talented. They are still very good at the skill positions including the QB who was inconsistent early in the year but has played really well the last half. They have benefited from a weak region. That said, there will not be a better prepared team next week. They are well coached and play very hard. They play outstanding team defense. My guess is Mentor is a better team top to bottom, but Liberty is very capable if beating more talented teams. I would expect a pretty close game.
Old 11-19-17, 07:47 AM
All Yappi

If these two played in September, Mentor might have smoked them for 40+ points behind their quick strike offense. Now that Mentor has adjusted their game plan, they are looking to shorten the game and keep it close. Knowing virtually nothing about Liberty, this is hard to predict. They are here for a reason, and for the second year in a row at that.
If Mentor can play the kind of defense they have played for most of the playoffs, they should move on to the state final.
Old 11-19-17, 09:56 AM
Freshman

liberty73 is on a distinguished road
This feels much like the week leading up to the Iggy game for Liberty one year ago. I think that there was some muted optimism from the Liberty faithful going into the game but did anyone really think they could win? They sure gave Iggy a game and I think surprised some people on the opposing sideline. The big difference versus this year is that the team last year included the star power of Brendon White (now at Ohio State) and Drew Rosi (now at Toledo). The team this year spent the first five weeks adjusting to life without Brendon. They have finally hit their stride and have begun to play as a team realizing that they cannot wait around for one guy to make a play.

Leading up to the Whitmer game I posted that the strength of this team rests in its linebacker play and that proved itself out versus Whitmer. The three senior linebackers lead by Michigan State recruit Ed Warinner are a fast flowing, hard hitting group. More than that, they are smart and rarely out of position. Their Junior QB is playing within himself and not making the bad mistake. He does not look like a guy that can run but has put up some good rushing numbers in games lately. His main target is Junior 6'4"
WR Ben Roderick (a basketball prospect).

Liberty will have Senior Johnny Wiseman back after missing the Whitmer game due to being ejected for targeting the previous game. He is easily Liberty's best player on both sides of the ball. Six interceptions on the season and many touchdown on offense. He is just one of those kids that you want to get the ball to. Johnny will be playing lacrosse for Ohio State next year, just a great athlete.

The offensive line has been the team's liability this year, but they have found something the past few games and have played much better. Coach Steve Hale (the only coach Liberty has ever had) is an experienced coach with a great staff. They find ways to have these kids ready every week.

The joke is that Arlin Field (Mansfiled) is like a home game for Liberty. They lost to St. Eds there in 2014. Last year they beat Medina at Arlin and lost to Iggy at Arlin. They also beat Lorain in Mansfield last year but it was at the other High School.

On paper after looking at quality of Mentor's program, quality of wins, regions, etc, that Mentor should win this game. Liberty has only been open since 2003 and does not have the history, the pedigree, and the reputation as a football school that Mentor has. The oldest alumni of Liberty are only in their early 30's. I am sure that Mentor will bring an army of people to Arlin field and a few people will post about how few people are on the Liberty side. Steve Hale and his staff have been building this program brick by brick since 2003 and will hopefully (someday) be in the same discussions as the other big successful publics in Ohio.

With the experience of last year, this Liberty team will come in not feeling over-matched. Not sure that that will be enough, but Liberty will come prepared. Best of luck to both teams next week. Most kids in Ohio would envy the opportunity to still be playing the day after Thanksgiving. Props to both programs for getting this far...
Old 11-19-17, 10:16 AM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty73 View Post
This feels much like the week leading up to the Iggy game for Liberty one year ago. I think that there was some muted optimism from the Liberty faithful going into the game but did anyone really think they could win? They sure gave Iggy a game and I think surprised some people on the opposing sideline. The big difference versus this year is that the team last year included the star power of Brendon White (now at Ohio State) and Drew Rosi (now at Toledo). The team this year spent the first five weeks adjusting to life without Brendon. They have finally hit their stride and have begun to play as a team realizing that they cannot wait around for one guy to make a play.

Leading up to the Whitmer game I posted that the strength of this team rests in its linebacker play and that proved itself out versus Whitmer. The three senior linebackers lead by Michigan State recruit Ed Warinner are a fast flowing, hard hitting group. More than that, they are smart and rarely out of position. Their Junior QB is playing within himself and not making the bad mistake. He does not look like a guy that can run but has put up some good rushing numbers in games lately. His main target is Junior 6'4"
WR Ben Roderick (a basketball prospect).

Liberty will have Senior Johnny Wiseman back after missing the Whitmer game due to being ejected for targeting the previous game. He is easily Liberty's best player on both sides of the ball. Six interceptions on the season and many touchdown on offense. He is just one of those kids that you want to get the ball to. Johnny will be playing lacrosse for Ohio State next year, just a great athlete.

The offensive line has been the team's liability this year, but they have found something the past few games and have played much better. Coach Steve Hale (the only coach Liberty has ever had) is an experienced coach with a great staff. They find ways to have these kids ready every week.

The joke is that Arlin Field (Mansfiled) is like a home game for Liberty. They lost to St. Eds there in 2014. Last year they beat Medina at Arlin and lost to Iggy at Arlin. They also beat Lorain in Mansfield last year but it was at the other High School.

On paper after looking at quality of Mentor's program, quality of wins, regions, etc, that Mentor should win this game. Liberty has only been open since 2003 and does not have the history, the pedigree, and the reputation as a football school that Mentor has. The oldest alumni of Liberty are only in their early 30's. I am sure that Mentor will bring an army of people to Arlin field and a few people will post about how few people are on the Liberty side. Steve Hale and his staff have been building this program brick by brick since 2003 and will hopefully (someday) be in the same discussions as the other big successful publics in Ohio.

With the experience of last year, this Liberty team will come in not feeling over-matched. Not sure that that will be enough, but Liberty will come prepared. Best of luck to both teams next week. Most kids in Ohio would envy the opportunity to still be playing the day after Thanksgiving. Props to both programs for getting this far...
Nice post!
GL to the patriots!
Old 11-19-17, 06:49 PM
All Yappi

Against Ignatius and Eds, running the ball a ton was definitely the right move. I do wonder though if bringing back some emphasis on the passing game is in their favor against Liberty. Chuck Kyle is so familiar and prepared for Mentors spread attack. But Liberty has never experienced Mentor's high octane passing offense. It seems foolish to ignore the running game, but against unfamiliar opponents I wouldn't mind seeing more passing. Logan Shea and Luke Floriea are two of the better playmaking receivers in the Triv era. Will they (and the other trio of talented receivers) remain as decoys?
Old 11-20-17, 10:19 AM
Varsity

menfan is on a distinguished road
This game should be great to watch. Neither team has ever played the other and outside of playing all their games in Ohio there are no real ways to compare (.i.e.common opponents)

Mentor appears to be favored but not something I would hang my hat on. And besides, I think Mentor plays better as the underdog. I kind of expect this to be higher scoring than the past few games (mentor wise) as I believe they will open up the passing game a lot more. Running the ball well does that for you. Gotta say I was impressed with the Olentangy win over Whitmer. Is Olentangy a run first team? Euclid had great success against Mentor with a powerful run game. If Olentangy can move it anywhere as well as Euclid did Mentor will have their hands full. Hopefully the defense continues it's improved play and can make adjustments quickly when needed. Not sure if I will see it live or not but either way it will be a fun Friday night.
Old 11-20-17, 11:57 AM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by menfan View Post
This game should be great to watch. Neither team has ever played the other and outside of playing all their games in Ohio there are no real ways to compare (.i.e.common opponents)

Mentor appears to be favored but not something I would hang my hat on. And besides, I think Mentor plays better as the underdog. I kind of expect this to be higher scoring than the past few games (mentor wise) as I believe they will open up the passing game a lot more. Running the ball well does that for you. Gotta say I was impressed with the Olentangy win over Whitmer. Is Olentangy a run first team? Euclid had great success against Mentor with a powerful run game. If Olentangy can move it anywhere as well as Euclid did Mentor will have their hands full. Hopefully the defense continues it's improved play and can make adjustments quickly when needed. Not sure if I will see it live or not but either way it will be a fun Friday night.
Liberty is pretty balanced on offence. They have 200lb+ power back with very quick feet. Believe he has run for over 100 yards in each of the playoff games. The QB is a very good scrambler and can make all the throws but is prone to a pick or two. He is been very good in the playoffs. They have a dynamic slot guy and two 6'3"+ receivers with good hands (basketball players).
Old 11-20-17, 01:29 PM
Freshman

WSAImpact is on a distinguished road
OL 21-17. I was totally shocked that Mentor beat St. Ignatius.
Old 11-20-17, 06:22 PM
Freshman

BB Jones is on a distinguished road
Hoops too

These schools open the basketball season against each other on December 2nd. I don't know if Mentor has many football players on the basketball team, but 4 of Liberty's top 7-8 hoopsters are football starters.