Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
SVSM by 7 or less 9 29.03%
SVSM by 8 or more 9 29.03%
Barberton by 8 or more 6 19.35%
Barberton. by 7 or less 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-17, 09:32 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Challenge Game (10/6): St Vincent-St Mary (5-1) at Barberton (6-0)

Before I touch on the topic I want to say I saw SVSM play North tonight. They used a plethora of players. Some weren't even listed in the program. The usual starters couldn't have played much beyond the first quarter so they'll be rested for next week. Starting RB Terrance Keyes wasn't even dressed. A nice touch was the SVSM Booster Club providing dinner for both teams after the game.

This week's game vs Barberton is pretty much a needed win for SVSM to keep the post season hopes alive.

I'm glad to see the Irish found a kicker. Is Dobson really a freshman?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-17, 11:13 PM
All World

Too early for thoughts on this game?

Barberton is undefeated and coming off a big win against SVSM's Region 9 rival Aurora.

They've got to be be the favorite playing at home. Will they need some "Magic" or will Irish luck prevail?
Old 09-30-17, 10:00 AM
All American

jbica001 is on a distinguished road
Need to add a poll to this thread to see what everyone thinks. Myself, I think Barberton is a D2 steamroller. I don't think they will lose a game this season.
Old 09-30-17, 11:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbica001 View Post
Need to add a poll to this thread to see what everyone thinks. Myself, I think Barberton is a D2 steamroller. I don't think they will lose a game this season.
Good idea. Done!
Old 10-01-17, 08:22 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I am really impressed by what Gotto has done at Barberton. That program was really on the skids and he has resurrected it. The final four weeks of the season will be very telling as the quality of opponents will pick up, with SVSM, Tallmadge and Highland on the schedule.
Old 10-01-17, 12:13 PM
Varsity

Packard-Fan is on a distinguished road
This should be a good game. It's very important to both teams. Barberton is new to the state stage, and StVM has a rich pedigree. I'll still give the nod to StVM. That said, Barberton can win this game. StVM must play a mistake free game to win.
Old 10-02-17, 08:54 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Challenge Game (10/6): St Vincent-St Mary (5-1) at Barberton (6-0)
St Vincent-St Mary (5-1) at Barberton (6-0)
08/24/17 St Vincent-St Mary (Akron) 21, Tri-Valley (Dresden) 13
09/01/17 St Vincent-St Mary (Akron) 28, Walsh Jesuit (Cuyahoga Falls) 8
09/09/17 St Vincent-St Mary (Akron) 21, Buchtel (Akron) 14
09/15/17 St Vincent-St Mary (Akron) 28, Cardinal Mooney (Youngstown) 21
09/22/17 St Vincent-St Mary (Akron) 7, Archbishop Hoban (Akron) 21
09/29/17 St Vincent-St Mary (Akron) 35, North (Akron) 0
08/25/17 Barberton (Barberton) 34, Norton (Norton) 0
09/01/17 Barberton (Barberton) 54, Kenmore-Garfield (Akron) 6
09/08/17 Barberton (Barberton) 47, Cuyahoga Falls (Cuyahoga Falls) 20
09/15/17 Barberton (Barberton) 52, Revere (Richfield) 6
09/22/17 Barberton (Barberton) 48, Copley (Copley) 20
09/29/17 Barberton (Barberton) 34, Aurora (Aurora) 7

Play this game and the other 11 games in the pick'em here:
http://www.yappi.com/contest/contest.php
Old 10-04-17, 05:42 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
The transfer from Hoban, who is currently playing for STVM, is pretty good. He might make an impact.
So How does he transfer from Hoban and not sit? He practiced and played in preseason games. Nobody cares because he transferred out of Hoban lol. Problem was he couldn't get along with his teammates and coach wouldn't play him. He didn't play against Hoban 2 weeks ago. Why? Because coaches at St V had issue with the same attitude. So now you say how good he is and that he will make a big impact. Doubtful that he will help the Irish. He has potential but does not play well with others. But keep wishing DB04.
Old 10-04-17, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
So How does he transfer from Hoban and not sit? He practiced and played in preseason games. Nobody cares because he transferred out of Hoban lol. Problem was he couldn't get along with his teammates and coach wouldn't play him. He didn't play against Hoban 2 weeks ago. Why? Because coaches at St V had issue with the same attitude. So now you say how good he is and that he will make a big impact. Doubtful that he will help the Irish. He has potential but does not play well with others. But keep wishing DB04.
Maybe he was sitting out the 5 games transfers are required to sit?
Old 10-04-17, 05:59 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Mandated to sit first 5 games by OHSAA. Good kid. Doing just fine.
Old 10-04-17, 06:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post
He's well liked by the coaches and his teammates. Were you there Cougar when Tyrell cursed him off the field with his foul mouth when the kid had the integrity to tell him he was leaving the program?
Old 10-04-17, 06:38 PM
All Yappi

I hereby invoke the little known Bylaw IV, section 12(B)(7)(d) of the Yappi Code of Conduct which provides in part: "no Yappi poster shall, as an original post, or on in response to a post, infect a non-Hoban thread with the Hoban Yappi thread poison. Anyone violating this bylaw shall be sentenced to reading all posts ever made by DB04."
Old 10-04-17, 06:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
He's well liked by the coaches and his teammates. Were you there Cougar when Tyrell cursed him off the field with his foul mouth when the kid had the integrity to tell him he was leaving the program?
No I wasn't there. Were you? But I have first hand that never occurred. Unless you were present at the practice were this allegedly occurred then it's gossip. Always comes back to coach T doesn't it? tell me why he would transfer? Same reason that most have transferred. cannot get on the field for one reason or another. I hope he does well at St V. He does have talent. And I am hoping for a St V win this weekend. We could use the points.
Old 10-04-17, 06:53 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post
Makes sense. TY
Old 10-04-17, 06:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I hereby invoke the little known Bylaw IV, section 12(B)(7)(d) of the Yappi Code of Conduct which provides in part: "no Yappi poster shall, as an original post, or on in response to a post, infect a non-Hoban thread with the Hoban Yappi thread poison. Anyone violating this bylaw shall be sentenced to reading all posts ever made by DB04."
Agreed. Just responding to BS by DB04.
Old 10-04-17, 07:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Agreed. Just responding to BS by DB04.
I'm as big of a DB04 critic as any, but he said "The transfer from Hoban, who is currently playing for STVM, is pretty good. He might make an impact." I don't see anything remotely controversial or negative in that statement.

Back to Barberton-SVSM. Good luck and good health to both teams.
Old 10-04-17, 07:36 PM
All Ohio

Moving on... having seen both teams play in person i don't see either team with a clear edge. Other than Barberton playing at home on grass which could slow down St V. Especially with rain forecasted. Barberton hasn't been tested yet playing a weak schedule thus far. Very athletic and fast on defense but has slot of 2 way players. St V has more size and matches up athletically. Barberton kids have mostly been playing together since youth and are a very tight knit group that will be sky high for this game. If St V doesn't turn the ball over and keeps St V offense off the field they could wear down the Magics. Barberton has not seen any team close to this and if the wow factor doesn't get them it will be close. St V by 7-10
Old 10-04-17, 07:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
(1) He sat out of games
(2) He's a solid player. Everyone in the area knows he's a solid player
(3) You're drinking the Hoban Kool-Aid
(4) You're fake news.
(5)Were you the Hoban bus driver that kept the Hoban bus overnight on another schools parking lot and blocked a lot of parking spaces in the morning for the kids at the school?

This is the perfect video of you. ^
Well I tried to keep it about the game. But here it is. Sorry.

1. I acknowledged that earlier
2. Not a solid player. Head case like u
3. I don't like kool aid. Live in realville, not my mother's basement
4. Stealing my line about you. Mr. CNN
5. No that wasn't me but I am glad you know that stupid fact and feel the need to post it for some reason?

Give us your expert game analysis since you have seen Barberton and St V play. Oh but that would require coming out of your parents basement.
Old 10-04-17, 07:45 PM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Barberton 27

St Vincent - St Mary 20
Old 10-04-17, 07:51 PM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=DB 04;6859012]You're an idiot and a blowhard.

I take that as a compliment coming from you!
Old 10-04-17, 07:51 PM
All Region

fromthe3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Moving on... having seen both teams play in person i don't see either team with a clear edge. Other than Barberton playing at home on grass which could slow down St V. Especially with rain forecasted. Barberton hasn't been tested yet playing a weak schedule thus far. Very athletic and fast on defense but has slot of 2 way players. St V has more size and matches up athletically. Barberton kids have mostly been playing together since youth and are a very tight knit group that will be sky high for this game. If St V doesn't turn the ball over and keeps St V offense off the field they could wear down the Magics. Barberton has not seen any team close to this and if the wow factor doesn't get them it will be close. St V by 7-10
Wins over Aurora and Copley in dominant fashion are as impressive as St. V beating Tri-Valley, Buchtel, and Mooney by 7.

I was not that impressed with St. V when I saw them against Buchtel.

Barberton 27-13.

St. V's Oline is huge but slow and not real physical. And there QB is not scary throwing the ball or running the ball.
Old 10-04-17, 07:54 PM
All Region

Aurora barley lost to Solon and Euclid. Euclid played Ignatius as tough as Hoban did.

Barberton took it to Aurora.
Old 10-04-17, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

SVSM and Barberton fans, welcome to today's episode of "The Cheerleader and the Critic."
Old 10-04-17, 08:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthe3 View Post
Wins over Aurora and Copley in dominant fashion are as impressive as St. V beating Tri-Valley, Buchtel, and Mooney by 7.

I was not that impressed with St. V when I saw them against Buchtel.

Barberton 27-13.

St. V's Oline is huge but slow and not real physical. And there QB is not scary throwing the ball or running the ball.
Tri valley, Buchtel,Mooney and Hoban are a far cry from playing Norton, Cuyahoga falls, Kenmore-Garfield, Revere, Copley and Aurora. None of which have a winning record. Combined 9-27. Copley is way down, Aurora had starting QB out and best player Blunt who could hardly run. Aurora is a shadow of what they usually are. Look at the computer rankings. Barberton is 6-0 and in 4th place behind 3 5-1 teams because of their strength of schedule. Barberton's offense has not been tested against a good defense which St V does have. They need to beat St V to show everyone they are for real.
Old 10-04-17, 08:26 PM
All Region

Quote:
Tri valley, Buchtel,Mooney and Hoban are a far cry from playing Norton, Cuyahoga falls, Kenmore-Garfield, Revere, Copley and Aurora. None of which have a winning record. Combined 9-27. Copley is way down, Aurora had starting QB out and best player Blunt who could hardly run. Aurora is a shadow of what they usually are. Look at the computer rankings. Barberton is 6-0 and in 4th place behind 3 5-1 teams because of their strength of schedule. Barberton's offense has not been tested against a good defense which St V does have. They need to beat St V to show everyone they are for real.
St. V definitely has a tougher schedule but Barberton has not played down to Copley or Aurora who are above average teams. Proving that Barberton is a very good team. We will see how good this week. Last week everyone was saying Barberton played no one and we will see if they are for real after Aurora. You are still saying the same thing. They will gain respect this week.
Old 10-04-17, 08:38 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
You know, for someone who so staunchly defends all Hoban players and so readily calls out other posters for any real or perceived slight aimed at 14 and 15 year old kids, you certainly seem more than willing to take shots at this young man! A little consistency may be in order!
Old 10-04-17, 08:59 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
You know, for someone who so staunchly defends all Hoban players and so readily calls out other posters for any real or perceived slight aimed at 14 and 15 year old kids, you certainly seem more than willing to take shots at this young man! A little consistency may be in order!
You are right. I probably should not have said what I did. I apologize.
Old 10-05-17, 04:47 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthe3 View Post
St. V definitely has a tougher schedule but Barberton has not played down to Copley or Aurora who are above average teams. Proving that Barberton is a very good team. We will see how good this week. Last week everyone was saying Barberton played no one and we will see if they are for real after Aurora. You are still saying the same thing. They will gain respect this week.
Is Aurora 1-5 or 2-4
Old 10-05-17, 04:55 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I am really impressed by what Gotto has done at Barberton. That program was really on the skids and he has resurrected it. The final four weeks of the season will be very telling as the quality of opponents will pick up, with SVSM, Tallmadge and Highland on the schedule.
Clark, I really respect your posts and there are few posters on here that I can say that about. However, last year Barberton was 7-3 and maybe one of those wins came against a team with a winning record. One and done in playoffs. They have a stud RB and stud QB who's dad was an all state receiver at Barberton, his uncle played center at that state up north. To this point they still haven't beaten anyone, the SL American is down with Aurora and Copley being average at best. Having a stellar class does not make a resurrected a program. Lets see how he does the next three years when this class is gone before we claim a complete turn around and not just a superb class that carried him.
Old 10-05-17, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Clark, I really respect your posts and there are few posters on here that I can say that about. However, last year Barberton was 7-3 and maybe one of those wins came against a team with a winning record. One and done in playoffs. They have a stud RB and stud QB who's dad was an all state receiver at Barberton, his uncle played center at that state up north. To this point they still haven't beaten anyone, the SL American is down with Aurora and Copley being average at best. Having a stellar class does not make a resurrected a program. Lets see how he does the next three years when this class is gone before we claim a complete turn around and not just a superb class that carried him.
Thanks Bass. Good points. I guess only time will tell whether Gotto has been the recipient of good talent or whether he's been the impetus of major change. Given his history and what I've heard, I suspect it is the latter. He was well regarded as an assistant at Tallmadge and made Kenmore of all places into a reasonable program in his brief time there. From what I understand at Barberton, he's getting more kids out than ever getting the types of kids his predecessors missed, has instilled discipline, runs a tight ship and has been very involved, along with his assistants. in the lives of his players. As a result, the community is enthused and getting behind the program more than they have in decades. As such, I think it may be more than a flash in the pan caused by a talented class or two. Like I said, only time will tell. In the 15 years leading up to Gotto (2000 thru 2014), the Magics won only 42 games. In his 2.5 years there, they've won 21 (7-8-6), so they're certainly going in the right direction.

I enjoy the thoughtful discussion of high school football. Sure wish we'd hear more from the Magic faithful. Maybe frecriss will stop in and comment.