Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-03-17, 09:47 PM
All District

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Federal League got swept

As expected the Federal League got a clean sweep as this is very sad. These kids did work hard this year but the bad part the admins. of the schools did not give them a very good schedule. As usual the kids got short changed.

Let s look truly at the scheduling of the non league games the only two schools that really helped the Federal out was Akron East for Jackson and Wayne Hills New Jersey for McKinley. Truly without those schools they may have never made the playoffs.

Massillon there schedule helped them in the playoffs and bettered themselves with conssitiancy of there opponents something that has lacked in the Federal League McKinley used to have it before it got into the Federal League.

Some people have cried about travel and the cost just remember the saying "You get what you pay for"

I guess it comes down to this Do you want Excelance for success or Do you want Medeocer for Failure. It should also look at being more consistent with keeping the schedule more for the Division you are playing in.

Time for the Federal League to wake up and re consider some things in the offseason.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-17, 10:04 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
Lightbulb

With due respect, I disagree . Perry was ahead of probably the number one team in the state after 2 quarters. Perry played a team with a much larger line, many more kids to pick from and a private school that has certain advantages. The Fed has 7 teams. So, they have 3 games to travel and schedule who they want. The Fed is a tough public school league. If you want a tougher off league schedule, I would talk to your AD.
Old 11-03-17, 10:09 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkfb View Post
With due respect, I disagree . Perry was ahead of probably the number one team in the state after 2 quarters. Perry played a team with a much larger line, many more kids to pick from and a private school that has certain advantages. The Fed has 7 teams. So, they have 3 games to travel and schedule who they want. The Fed is a tough public school league. If you want a tougher off league schedule, I would talk to your AD.
The problem is the ADs are to cheep to go out now days and make a good program
Old 11-03-17, 10:09 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Losing to the teams they did....I think there's nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 11-03-17, 10:12 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
Losing to the teams they did....I think there's nothing to be ashamed of.
Nothing to be ashamed of its to bad that it takes the playoffs to play these teams.
Old 11-03-17, 10:16 PM
All World

murphy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
There aren't many public schools beating IGGY & ED's.
The only two I can think of that might stand a chance would be Mentor and Euclid in NEO. The problem is that the fed schools do not have the depth to go toe to toe with these guys for 4qtrs of football. I don't think being in the federal league had anything to do with what happened to these teams.
Old 11-03-17, 10:18 PM
All Ohio

OBIE-WON is an unknown quantity at this point
Plus in years past kind of had it good in the old region 2. Didn’t have to meet up with them till the semifinal.
Old 11-03-17, 10:20 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleadog101 View Post
Nothing to be ashamed of its to bad that it takes the playoffs to play these teams.
In all seriousness, you guys used to get mad when people would criticize your schedules, now your upset about your schedules not preparing you for the playoffs. Heck, half you league won't schedule Massillon let alone Iggy or Ed. Not trying to start crap just being honest.
Old 11-03-17, 10:25 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBIE-WON View Post
Plus in years past kind of had it good in the old region 2. Didnít have to meet up with them till the semifinal.
Yes good ol Region 2 I very much remember as you also had more schools in D1 to.

I'm seriously thinking that the OHSAA did this on purpose to create supper regions in D 1. I truthfully liked the top 16 team format only 2 regions.
Old 11-03-17, 10:26 PM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Yeah that is it.

Perry coming off back to back D2 runners up led Ignatius at the half.

Jackson did look bad.

McKinley was competitive and led at the half vs St Eds. Their problem was their offense again. Two defensive TD's can't ask for much more.

Massillon's schedule this year is not that loaded. They played several good teams. Mentor was the only top level team IMHO. SVSM and Canisus were pretty good teams. Bedford probably a few steps behind them. What helped Massillon was being in D2R7. They would have suffered the same type of losses to those teams (granted Jackson made the final closer than it really was) if not worse (to Eds/Ignatius). Personally I think Massillon's schedule is perfect for them as they have some good teams on their schedule and they were in competitive games throughout the season.

GlenOak played one of the toughest schedules in the state and what did it get them?

McKinley joining the Federal League is a horsecrap excuse as to why they have struggled in the playoffs recently. Some at McKinley think every year is 1997 and 1998 when it is the exception not the rule. Don't get me wrong Pups had some talent this year but it's not on that level. McKinley had a problem their penalties cost them in the Massillon game (and hurt them in other games). Granted tonight penalties were similar both teams had 8 with McK having 68 yds and Eds with 69 yds of penalties.
Old 11-03-17, 10:29 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
In all seriousness, you guys used to get mad when people would criticize your schedules, now your upset about your schedules not preparing you for the playoffs. Heck, half you league won't schedule Massillon let alone Iggy or Ed. Not trying to start crap just being honest.
So true McKinley used to schedule these teams till they got into the Federal league it is sad.
Old 11-03-17, 10:34 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Yeah that is it.

Perry coming off back to back D2 runners up led Ignatius at the half.

Jackson did look bad.

McKinley was competitive and led at the half vs St Eds. Their problem was their offense again. Two defensive TD's can't ask for much more.

Massillon's schedule this year is not that loaded. They played several good teams. Mentor was the only top level team IMHO. SVSM and Canisus were pretty good teams. Bedford probably a few steps behind them. What helped Massillon was being in D2R7. They would have suffered the same type of losses to those teams (granted Jackson made the final closer than it really was) if not worse (to Eds/Ignatius). Personally I think Massillon's schedule is perfect for them as they have some good teams on their schedule and they were in competitive games throughout the season.

GlenOak played one of the toughest schedules in the state and what did it get them?

McKinley joining the Federal League is a horsecrap excuse as to why they have struggled in the playoffs recently. Some at McKinley think every year is 1997 and 1998 when it is the exception not the rule. Don't get me wrong Pups had some talent this year but it's not on that level. McKinley had a problem their penalties cost them in the Massillon game (and hurt them in other games). Granted tonight penalties were similar both teams had 8 with McK having 68 yds and Eds with 69 yds of penalties.
McKinley lacked in self controll this year as you take away those mistakes you may have the PuPs at + 3 more Ws.
Yes Glen-Oak truly had a killer of a schedule
Old 11-03-17, 10:47 PM
All Yappi

The last 2 years McKinley played Ignatius they got blown out. When did they schedule Eds? Maybe WGH is who you are talking about. Last 3 games before the series was renewed: beaten 57-9 (and that was a playoff Pup team), 38-7 and 45-21. Seems to me McKinley went away from facing the R1 Powers because they joined the League and were not competing at that point in time. Easier to blame the FED which just as they joined the FED they had some extremely talented teams.

Joining the FED was OK when they went to the Finals with an overachieving team in 2004 and in the Semifinals in 2006. It is the FED's fault that McKinley choked that huge lead to Medina. It's the FED's fault McKinley has been beaten by better teams in the playoffs with that Medina exception. I'd blame that coach you had.
Old 11-03-17, 10:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
McKinley lacked in self controll this year as you take away those mistakes you may have the PuPs at + 3 more Ws.
Yes Glen-Oak truly had a killer of a schedule
Penalties were a killer I agree. It seems like McKinley the past few years peaks in the first 5 games under Reardon.
Old 11-03-17, 10:53 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As expected the Federal League got a clean sweep as this is very sad. These kids did work hard this year but the bad part the admins. of the schools did not give them a very good schedule. As usual the kids got short changed.

Let s look truly at the scheduling of the non league games the only two schools that really helped the Federal out was Akron East for Jackson and Wayne Hills New Jersey for McKinley. Truly without those schools they may have never made the playoffs.

Massillon there schedule helped them in the playoffs and bettered themselves with conssitiancy of there opponents something that has lacked in the Federal League McKinley used to have it before it got into the Federal League.

Some people have cried about travel and the cost just remember the saying "You get what you pay for"

I guess it comes down to this Do you want Excelance for success or Do you want Medeocer for Failure. It should also look at being more consistent with keeping the schedule more for the Division you are playing in.

Time for the Federal League to wake up and re consider some things in the offseason.
1. No team in Stark County has the horses to consistently compete with the top of DI year in and year out. If you think that this is a new development, then you need to wake up. No amount of kamikaze scheduling is going to change the fact that other teams are just better.

2. Massillon's playoff region is weak. They should be the favorite to win it. Boardman couldn't beat Fitch and had to go 2 OTs with a subpar Ursuline team, so let's not pretend that Massillon's schedule prepared them to face a world-beater.
Old 11-03-17, 11:13 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
This might be the dumbest argument on Yappi...yeah the Fed is why McKinley lost to possibly the best team in the state.

Perry and McKinley had no business being ahead at the half. In fact I'd argue the competition they saw throughout the year helped them compete. Remember a sub 500 Glenoak, another Fed team, gave Iggy all they wanted as well. And don't sleep on Euclid...they've been racking up points all year and went toe to toe with Mentor.

The Fed is a solid league and in no way determined the outcome of the games tonight.

McKinley in the Fed is a good fit for the Pups and for the league period. Now stop whining and get ready for basketball.
Old 11-03-17, 11:17 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Jackson's performance probably the only real disappointment of the bunch, though.
Old 11-03-17, 11:45 PM
All Ohio

LeBronJames23Cavs
No schedule would have prepared Perry any more than they were. They gave it their all but in the end the depth and size is what got them. It's why I've said they don't belong in D1. They'd have to play the game of their lives and still need some mistakes to win. They might be able to do it for a game or 2 but there is no way they could do that for 5 straight weeks. I just want a fair shot where I can say yeah if we are good enough then maybe we could win state. Perry's season was already over when the divisions were announced in April. Perry's enrollment from the OHSAA site is 611 and Ignatius was 1116. That's insane. And there are 5-6 Ignatius players I want to see their birth certificates. I can't believe high school kids could be that big.

Plus if Perry played someone like Ed's or Iggy in the regular season they might have not even made the playoffs. They barely made it with a weak 9-1. If they are 8-2 and Fitch or Solon doesn't drop one of those late season games they might not have made it.
Old 11-04-17, 12:15 AM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
I agree somewhat. Mentor made a decision a while ago to schedule great programs and it has helped them to become a D1 state power. Most the Fed teams duck big non conference match ups and it shows every year in the playoffs. I do give a lot of credit to GlenOak for scheduling like Mentor in their non conference, but they are going to need to get a better coach to really benefit from testing themselves. GlenOak and McKinley are the two fed teams that could have the talent to knock off the big boys in the Cleveland area once and a while but they need to have the coaching to do it. Hoover has been, by far, the worst in in the Fed in non conference scheduling, they don't challenge themselves at all.
Old 11-04-17, 12:38 AM
All World

Flood is on a distinguished road
Until the Fed teams get players from 6 different counties, they aren't going to win Region 1.
Old 11-04-17, 01:02 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
If Massillon was still in Region 6 they would have been beaten badly and they would of had a running clock
Old 11-04-17, 04:35 AM
All District

spyros1950 is on a distinguished road
Y2H, just for a second, let's leave school names out of the conversation. Given that both of our respective schools play football in the FED League, please help me to better understand your point.

Your team is Div2, and mine is Div1... since being in the FED together, your record against us is 3-12... over the past ten years, your record is 1-9 against us.

Here is the question: given these records, HOW does playing your team help my team prepare for the playoffs?

I would suggest to you that my team is hurt by playing your team... I would further suggest that your school would be better able to make the playoffs if you scheduled another Div2 school instead of us.

And, please do NOT think I am picking on you. My school wins approx 80% of the time against FED teams. The same argument I make above can just as easily be made of other FED teams.

Finally, please do me a favor and have your team move to kick my team out of the FED... Our administrators are to lazy to do it themselves. Thanks.
Old 11-04-17, 04:49 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
The FED All Star team can't beat the TOP Private schools,it's only getting worse with the separation..lettum play with themselves...BAM!
Old 11-04-17, 04:50 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Until the Fed teams get players from 6 different counties, they aren't going to win Region 1.
EXACTLY,thank you.
Old 11-04-17, 05:09 AM
All American

TIGER27
I don’t think the Federal League is the problem. We all need to stand together and get the private schools put in their own division. Perry and McKinley were obviously really good this year and got screwed. What’s the point trying to compete with these super teams, you can’t win.

My question is why do Moeller, Ed’s, Iggy, Hoban, Lasalle, Norwalk St Paul, Bishop Hartley ect ect even want to compete with public’s? Why don’t you have your own playoff system?
Old 11-04-17, 05:43 AM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Maybe you should be complaining about the school where you received your HS diploma. Please don't complain about the athletic administration when you have the grammar/spelling skills of a 3rd grader.
Old 11-04-17, 05:43 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sour grapes. These big D1 public schools can compete with the private powerhouses. Mentor has done it over the years. The smaller division privates are usually the ones who beat up on the public schools. When you have the largest enrollment schools in Ohio being public that is huge advantage. You have to also look at the high level of coaching the Cleveland privates have. The coaching is elite.
Old 11-04-17, 05:51 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGER27 View Post
I donít think the Federal League is the problem. We all need to stand together and get the private schools put in their own division. Perry and McKinley were obviously really good this year and got screwed. Whatís the point trying to compete with these super teams, you canít win.

My question is why do Moeller, Edís, Iggy, Hoban, Lasalle, Norwalk St Paul, Bishop Hartley ect ect even want to compete with publicís? Why donít you have your own playoff system?
4 of the team's you mentioned haven't done anything in the playoffs until recently. Sounds logical. Look at Winton Woods and take notes.
Old 11-04-17, 06:29 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guess it comes down to this Do you want Excelance for success or Do you want Medeocer for Failure.
I would just like some correct basic grammar and spelling.

This is the same tired argument every year. OOC scheduling is always a balancing act for any school. You have to play the schools in your conference so you get 3-4 open slots. Schedule too hard and you miss the playoffs and wear down your kids. Then you factor in how important winning your conference is vs being "playoff ready".

I guess in this season you have to decide whose season was better - GO (scheduled tough, losing season, no playoffs) or McK/Jackson (winning season, share of conference title, and a playoff game)?
Old 11-04-17, 06:34 AM
All District

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
The FED All Star team can't beat the TOP Private schools,it's only getting worse with the separation..lettum play with themselves...BAM!
They recruit proto-types at every position. They roll with a big advantage. They win all of the titles because of it, but they don't put fans on the stands, either. St Edward had a tiny crowd for a big home playoff game.