Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-16-17, 11:09 PM
All District

BasketballLover is on a distinguished road
Northeastern Buckeye Conf. (NBC)

Current standings:

Salem 4-0, 1-0 (5th in D4, R13)
Canton South 4-0, 1-0 (7th in D4, R13)
Alliance 3-1, 1-0 (8th in D3, R9)
Louisville 1-3, 1-0 (20th in D3, R9)
Marlington 2-2, 0-1 (15th in D3, R9)
West Branch 1-3, 0-1 (17th in D3, R9)
Carrollton 1-3, 0-1 (13th in D4, R13)
Minerva 0-4, 0-1 (24th in D4, R 13)

Last edited by BasketballLover; 09-17-17 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-17, 09:40 AM
All District

How many teams have a real shot at making the playoffs this season?
Old 09-18-17, 09:53 AM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Salem, South and Alliance.
The rest don't have a prayer.
Old 09-18-17, 10:15 AM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Between 2-4...most likely 2. South Salem winner has a shot in region 13. Alliance, Marlington, Louisville all have a shot. Leopards need to run the table to get in.

Its going to come down to weeks 9 and 10. Marlington/Alliance week 10 and If Louisville gets by Alliance this week a ton of L2's available for the leopards weeks 9/10 with south and Salem going 3-0 ooc. It's going to be fun to watch.

That's all assuming that we don't see an upset that nobody expects. I think South has a good team this year, and wouldn't be shocked if they didn't pick up a few w's some don't expect.
Old 09-18-17, 03:16 PM
All Region

Mr. Wildcat_09 is on a distinguished road
According to the projections on Fantastic50, five NBC teams have a realistic shot at the playoffs:

1. Canton South (4-0), currently 7th in Region 13: The Cats likely need to get to 8 wins (96% chance in), as 7 wins would put them close (54% chance). The final 6 games of the season will see what the Wildcats are made of.

2. Salem (4-0), currently 5th in Region 13: Salem will likely have to get to 7 wins (83% chance; big drop off to 28% chance with 6 wins). Like South, Salem's tough end of the schedule is the back end. This week's contest between the two schools will have large playoff implications.

3. Alliance (3-1), currently 8th in Region 9: 8 wins almost assures the A's a spot in the playoffs (94% chance), while 7 wins leads to a big drop (38% chance). The jury is still out on one of the NBC preseason favorites, as it took a huge offensive performance to knock off West Branch in the first game of the NBC campaign. Huge, huge game with Louisville this week, as Alliance hasn't defeated the Leps since '06.

4. Marlington (2-2), currently 15th in Region 9: The Dukes' week 4 loss to Louisville was a huge blow to their playoff hopes, and now have little to no room for error. Winning out gives them an 89% chance, while 7 wins drops them to 26%.

5. Louisville (1-3), currently 20th in Region 9: The Leps need to win out and still may be on or near the bubble. 7 wins puts them at a 67% chance to get in. 6 wins gives them a 5% chance.

The playoff picture will become clearer after this week (South-Salem and Alliance-Louisville games). While the league might only realistically get 2 teams in the playoffs, the title race should be really interesting down the stretch.
Old 09-18-17, 03:21 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketballLover View Post
Current standings:

Salem 4-0, 1-0 (5th in D4, R13)
Canton South 4-0, 1-0 (7th in D4, R13)
Alliance 3-1, 1-0 (8th in D3, R9)
Louisville 1-3, 1-0 (20th in D3, R9)
Marlington 2-2, 0-1 (15th in D3, R9)
West Branch 1-3, 0-1 (17th in D3, R9)
Carrollton 1-3, 0-1 (13th in D4, R13)
Minerva 0-4, 0-1 (24th in D4, R 13)
Is Minerva any closer to turning the corner in terms of young talent, etc.?
Old 09-18-17, 05:41 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Is Minerva any closer to turning the corner in terms of young talent, etc.?
Not really.... this year will be a real struggle to get a win, and I think they will be a worse team next year. They actually lose a lot (I know this is a weird phrase for this team), but they do have a lot of experience at key positions. Next year, I would think they can get a non-league win, but doesnt mean they are better team, more that their opponents will be the same or worse.

The freshmen class that everyone is high on is still at least a year away, if they do in fact pan out, but nothing behind them and its hard to win with first year juniors in this league. So, we will see how that plays out.

Both middle school teams are winless at this point.

Hoping Im wrong, but I just dont see it coming!
Old 09-18-17, 07:18 PM
All Ohio

peebles is on a distinguished road
Salem must get by South because of tough games with Marlington, Louisville and old rival WB at the end of the schedule. Assuming losses to Louisville and Marlington and wins over all other league foes, 8-2 might be a lock for a playoff position. 7-3 could get them in but it seems shaky at best especially if they lose to South. These is a crucial points game for both.
Old 09-18-17, 07:57 PM
All District

Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
Salem must get by South because of tough games with Marlington, Louisville and old rival WB at the end of the schedule. Assuming losses to Louisville and Marlington and wins over all other league foes, 8-2 might be a lock for a playoff position. 7-3 could get them in but it seems shaky at best especially if they lose to South. These is a crucial points game for both.
Are you assuming Salem will beat Alliance?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-17, 08:26 PM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not really.... this year will be a real struggle to get a win, and I think they will be a worse team next year. They actually lose a lot (I know this is a weird phrase for this team), but they do have a lot of experience at key positions. Next year, I would think they can get a non-league win, but doesnt mean they are better team, more that their opponents will be the same or worse.

The freshmen class that everyone is high on is still at least a year away, if they do in fact pan out, but nothing behind them and its hard to win with first year juniors in this league. So, we will see how that plays out.

If this is true then we have givin' up on the program. Developing talent doesn't exist with the Lions program apparently. I never thought this program would hit this low but that seems to be the mentality anymore. What a shame.
Old 09-18-17, 08:43 PM
All Ohio

peebles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkflavor View Post
Are you assuming Salem will beat Alliance?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rats! Forgot about Alliance. That makes a victory over South even more important. It's going to be a tough road to the playoffs for Salem. We'll see what happens Friday.
Old 09-18-17, 10:08 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I disagree - 8th grade team has some skilled kids but small, 7th grade team is huge - 4 of 5 kids well over 220 that move well, but low on skilled kids right now, a few kids stopped playing that are very talented that may play again-- once they all mix together I think they will be fine. The freshmen class is extremely talented- they have kids that can make plays and a few have played some mop up duty in Friday nights and didn't look out of place. They also look good in Jv games- The cupboard is not bare.. only time will tell and you can't predict the future, but if you look at those 3 classes there is no guarantees but there is hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-17, 10:18 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post
I disagree - 8th grade team has some skilled kids but small, 7th grade team is huge - 4 of 5 kids well over 220 that move well, but low on skilled kids right now, a few kids stopped playing that are very talented that may play again-- once they all mix together I think they will be fine. The freshmen class is extremely talented- they have kids that can make plays and a few have played some mop up duty in Friday nights and didn't look out of place. They also look good in Jv games- The cupboard is not bare.. only time will tell and you can't predict the future, but if you look at those 3 classes there is no guarantees but there is hope

Also, I think you can win with juniors- Indian Valley has 9 seniors and if I remember correctly- none of their skilled kids are seniors.. and they are a pretty darn good team-next year may be a little rough, but you will start to see some wins.. this year's juniors will have to step up starting now. the roster will grow from 24 to 45 or so in 2018. There is going to be some excitement and hope- for now the kids will keep battling and look for that win.

Old 09-19-17, 10:10 AM
All District

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
If this is true then we have givin' up on the program. Developing talent doesn't exist with the Lions program apparently. I never thought this program would hit this low but that seems to be the mentality anymore. What a shame.
I agree with MINFAN and Lion 86. There is some talent, especially in the freshmen class. But will they be developed - that's the million dollar question.
Old 09-19-17, 11:43 AM
All District

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
Salem, South and Alliance.
The rest don't have a prayer.
I really like what South is doing with their program. Big game with Salem this week and I hope they beat them. Would be great to finish the 1st half of the season at 5-0 but they could easily go 1-4 the rest of the way. Same with Salem. I think both teams will be heavy underdogs with Alliance, Marlington and Louisville and West Branch will be a toss up. The only games they will be favored in the 2nd have of the season will be South vs Carrollton and Salem vs Minerva. It doesn't mean it can't happen -just saying the will be underdogs.

The playoff situation in the NBC is all contingent on what Alliance, Louisville and Marlington do against each other. Who knows, could be zero teams in the playoffs in the last year of the NBC..
Old 09-19-17, 12:38 PM
All Region

KINGOFTHEJUNGLE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wildcat_09 View Post
According to the projections on Fantastic50, five NBC teams have a realistic shot at the playoffs:

1. Canton South (4-0), currently 7th in Region 13: The Cats likely need to get to 8 wins (96% chance in), as 7 wins would put them close (54% chance). The final 6 games of the season will see what the Wildcats are made of.

2. Salem (4-0), currently 5th in Region 13: Salem will likely have to get to 7 wins (83% chance; big drop off to 28% chance with 6 wins). Like South, Salem's tough end of the schedule is the back end. This week's contest between the two schools will have large playoff implications.

3. Alliance (3-1), currently 8th in Region 9: 8 wins almost assures the A's a spot in the playoffs (94% chance), while 7 wins leads to a big drop (38% chance). The jury is still out on one of the NBC preseason favorites, as it took a huge offensive performance to knock off West Branch in the first game of the NBC campaign. Huge, huge game with Louisville this week, as Alliance hasn't defeated the Leps since '06.

4. Marlington (2-2), currently 15th in Region 9: The Dukes' week 4 loss to Louisville was a huge blow to their playoff hopes, and now have little to no room for error. Winning out gives them an 89% chance, while 7 wins drops them to 26%.

5. Louisville (1-3), currently 20th in Region 9: The Leps need to win out and still may be on or near the bubble. 7 wins puts them at a 67% chance to get in. 6 wins gives them a 5% chance.

The playoff picture will become clearer after this week (South-Salem and Alliance-Louisville games). While the league might only realistically get 2 teams in the playoffs, the title race should be really interesting down the stretch.

I'm pulling for the fellow "little guy." Hopefully South can keep the train rolling in the second half against the big boys.
Old 09-19-17, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Alliance
Louisville
Marlington
Canton S
Salem
Branch
Carrollton
Minerva

That's the way i figure it to end up

Last edited by FirestoneFan; 09-19-17 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-19-17, 04:53 PM
All Ohio

pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
Alliance
Louisville
Marlington
Canton S
Salem
Branch
Minerva

That's the way i figure it to end up
When did you kick Carrollton out of the NBC?
Old 09-19-17, 05:40 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskin13 View Post
When did you kick Carrollton out of the NBC?
When I dropped all the relish from my hot dog onto my keyboard. Sorry, it has been corrected.
Old 09-19-17, 07:54 PM
All Region

Quote:
s

This is how I am hearing it also, I see a good Lions program bouncing back and being good again. I just wish the program would be ONE from youth to varsity and grow the program with a scheme that involves work and creates headaches for the teams we play instead of this disorganized FLAT program (system) we have now. Obviously our record speaks for itself.
Old 09-19-17, 09:09 PM
All Region

warrior333 is on a distinguished road
I was at the miinerva vs Wb Jr high games tonight. Both lion teams suffered big losses!
Minerva players had good size An the kids looked to be skilled my initial thoughts were these might be a couple good games. What is saw was compliance! The lions 8 grade team in my opinion had the talent but not the drive to fight once they got down a TD. From there Wb went up 28 more points.
Old 09-20-17, 07:47 PM
All District

Northeastern Buckeye Conf. (NBC)

Yea, it wasn't pretty. The 7th grade team has a lot of kids not playing this year. If a few come back they will be ok- there a few amazing athletes not playing- The 8th grade lost 2 of their best players to Carrollton. But 333 you are right- neither team plays with enough passion.. hopefully they get it..

Old 09-20-17, 09:11 PM
All Region

Quote:
Yea, it wasn't pretty. The 7th grade team has a lot of kids not playing this year. If a few come back they will be ok- there a few amazing athletes not playing- The 8th grade lost 2 of their best players to Carrollton. But 333 you are right- neither team plays with enough passion.. hopefully they get it..

Little Lions program is what we’re missing. I know it’s old school but it worked. It would have a new start growing pains but in time would raise numbers and better develop kids. I played in the Little Lions program and I looked for nothing more than those Saturday games at Bicentennial park. We even played Louisville and Malvern and Louisville one year was a 6 to 6 tie as I will never forget that game. This helped develop us and it was fun playing against your friends most games. We didn’t burn out playing the same teams over and over including limited travel and even playing a variety of youth teams instead of the same old same old that burns our youth out. Youth today play at Hines field, that should be earned! We have obviously hit bottom as a program and what we are doing isn’t working from the bottom up.
Old 09-20-17, 09:26 PM
All District

Quote:
Little Lions program is what weíre missing. I know itís old school but it worked. It would have a new start growing pains but in time would raise numbers and better develop kids. I played in the Little Lions program and I looked for nothing more than those Saturday games at Bicentennial park. We even played Louisville and Malvern and Louisville one year was a 6 to 6 tie as I will never forget that game. This helped develop us and it was fun playing against your friends. We didnít burn out playing the same teams over and over with limited travel. Youth today play at Hines field, that should be earned! We have obviously hit bottom as a program and what we are doing isnít working from the bottom up.

Good point 86. I agree that games should be played at the park. These kids will already have 20 games at the stadium before entering middle school. Not a lot to look forward to. But it doesn't seem like it is impacting the other NBC schools, I think it would be hard to play "in house" though. We just don't have the numbers. Now football competes with soccer and fall baseball and numbers are down. Lets keep in mind the 7th and 8th grade teams were really good in youth football. Maybe there needs to be some changes in the youth program, but maybe the bigger problem is at the middle school level?

Old 09-21-17, 12:03 PM
All District

Lion40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Little Lions program is what weíre missing. I know itís old school but it worked. It would have a new start growing pains but in time would raise numbers and better develop kids. I played in the Little Lions program and I looked for nothing more than those Saturday games at Bicentennial park. We even played Louisville and Malvern and Louisville one year was a 6 to 6 tie as I will never forget that game. This helped develop us and it was fun playing against your friends most games. We didnít burn out playing the same teams over and over including limited travel and even playing a variety of youth teams instead of the same old same old that burns our youth out. Youth today play at Hines field, that should be earned! We have obviously hit bottom as a program and what we are doing isnít working from the bottom up.
I could not agree more on this statement! Back then while you were still looking for wins, it also allowed the program as a whole to help develop positional players as well as see the strong points of kids that maybe didn't look good for a certain position develop over time to excel in another area. Blocking, tackling, were huge! Now its hey we have a superfast kid so end sweeps after end sweeps while everyone else gets left behind. Louisville does this till High school, if you use this method as a precedent for building a future high school program then you have from 3rd grade till freshman year to evaluate players, find the best fit for these players and start at the high school level with the best possible positional scheme, regardless of talent levels. Then its up to the coaching staff to create the game plans. In my opinion this is what this program needs more than ever, that way every kid who plays gets the maximum looks to be placed where they need to be or not.
Old 09-21-17, 12:58 PM
All American

Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Are the Quakers' running backs hurt? They will need a decent run game to compete Friday.
Old 09-21-17, 01:28 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion40 View Post
I could not agree more on this statement! Back then while you were still looking for wins, it also allowed the program as a whole to help develop positional players as well as see the strong points of kids that maybe didn't look good for a certain position develop over time to excel in another area. Blocking, tackling, were huge! Now its hey we have a superfast kid so end sweeps after end sweeps while everyone else gets left behind. Louisville does this till High school, if you use this method as a precedent for building a future high school program then you have from 3rd grade till freshman year to evaluate players, find the best fit for these players and start at the high school level with the best possible positional scheme, regardless of talent levels. Then its up to the coaching staff to create the game plans. In my opinion this is what this program needs more than ever, that way every kid who plays gets the maximum looks to be placed where they need to be or not.

I think we should do it and play Louisville teams- last year the 5th and 6th grade teams scrimmaged Louisville teams and it went really well. We don't have the numbers to have and in house program but I bet they would partner with us

Old 09-21-17, 01:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
I think we should do it and play Louisville teams- last year the 5th and 6th grade teams scrimmaged Louisville teams and it went really well. We don't have the numbers to have and in house program but I bet they would partner with us

I think the Little Lions program would grow if started again. Can you see the benefits even if you combined grades to actually see 22 playing in one game against each other, in other words everyone plays no bench time. There are a lot of options to start as you mention, Lion 40 even makes great points for the program, just a little thought and planning and our program will grow again.
Old 09-21-17, 02:06 PM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Louisville numbers are down in LL just like everyone else's that now offers youth soccer virtually year round. With the number of kids that choose soccer over other sports as youth, you'd think we would have 100 kids on our high school soccer team.
Old 09-21-17, 02:09 PM
All District

satoshi node is on a distinguished road
We have been down this path before of the NBC Youth program. Minerva was the school that started this very successful league. They were instrumental in its inception and growth. They Yeagley's did a great job getting it off the ground. The first year of the youth league was when last years Seniors were in 4th or 5th grade. Who won the league last year? Not Louisville. Who is going to win the league this year? Louisville is not the presumptive favorite and the next couple of years would seem wide open if Louisville remained. See my point? IMO, The NBC youth league helped bridge the gap between Louisville and everyone else and all the schools were too quick to kick Louisville out if you ask me. It helped make everyone's programs better. Canton South has scrimmaged Louisville in youth the last couple of years and while they have a nice thing over there, it wasn't like any of the teams has the "wow" factor. My point is, it doesn't matter what youth league you are in to find success. You need willing kids, good coaching and community support for a program.

From an outsiders point of view, Minerva has great community support, great facilities, good had working kids and I can't speak of the coaching. Maybe the coaches are trying to instill their offense or their scheme, but if I were in charge of that team with that big Oline, a capable athletic QB and decent skill guys, I would be under center with a tight end with a power running game setting up play action to get Croston on the edge with simple reads and pass/run option. Or come to think of it, this team should go back to its roots and go unbalanced with play action. At any rate, I really hope Minerva pulls a game or 2 out this year and turns things around soon.