Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-14, 03:51 PM
Moderated User

Juan Pelota is on a distinguished road
Big Merger News.....

......coming to a field near you in mid-May
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-14, 08:40 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
KSA and CSA?
Old 04-18-14, 09:04 AM
Moderated User

You've got at least one of the clubs involved correct but the merger is going to be a lot bigger than that. All areas of the city will be affected.
Old 04-18-14, 09:48 AM
Freshman

WC98 is on a distinguished road
I've heard WC and Thunder might merge, but that doesn't fit what you are describing.

"All areas of the city" means CU has to be involved.
Old 04-18-14, 10:13 AM
All Region

Soccermadness is on a distinguished road
WC, CSA, CU, KHA TFA AND OE?

or TimeWarner - Comcasat - Netflix and Youtube

Both are doing it to benefit the consumer.
Old 04-18-14, 10:33 AM
Moderated User

I think there will be many more details that will soon come out about the merger. The early reports are that it is being done to enhance the possibility of a 2nd ecnl club in cincinnati as well as getting the Academy back. That would rule OE out unless there is some sort of a separate deal on the boys side. I think it is being done not to enhance OE & cu but to compete against them. Sources have said neither are going to be in it but that there may be some changes in club personnel that will be guaranteed to raise some eyebrows.
Old 04-18-14, 11:51 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Pelota View Post
I think there will be many more details that will soon come out about the merger. The early reports are that it is being done to enhance the possibility of a 2nd ecnl club in cincinnati as well as getting the Academy back. That would rule OE out unless there is some sort of a separate deal on the boys side. I think it is being done not to enhance OE & cu but to compete against them. Sources have said neither are going to be in it but that there may be some changes in club personnel that will be guaranteed to raise some eyebrows.
So KHA trying to get big enough for ECNL?
Old 04-18-14, 01:21 PM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
So what is so bad about 11 or 12 year olds finding out that Select Soccer.........IS NOT and NEVER WILL BE.......about the kids. Hmmm wonder what it is about$$
Old 04-18-14, 01:32 PM
All American

Please explain how any merger in our area would equate to another ECNL club? As it is now, our present 2nd tier of soccer struggles to compete nationally. How can our area field two ECNL clubs?
Old 04-18-14, 02:19 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbyb View Post
Uno Testiculo, You should consider a career in shock radio. You could give Willie and Tracy a run for their money at WLW.
Here's a little something for you though. Roby Stahl is busy poaching trainers from KHA. Gramps is having them break their current contracts notice clause. He's also paying very high compensation packages for a little podunk club. There are a lot of very disappointed 11 and 12 year olds who are losing their coaches mid-season.

http://afclightning.org/
I can joke about the fact that I've been in the unfortunate situation of needing a orchiectomy. It's called self-deprecating humor. The fact that you are joking about it is pretty low.....even for you, Jon.
Old 04-18-14, 02:32 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Pelota View Post
I can joke about the fact that I've been in the unfortunate situation of needing a orchiectomy. It's called self-deprecating humor. The fact that you are joking about it is pretty low.....even for you, Jon.
Agreed. Show some class.
Old 04-18-14, 03:19 PM
All American

Question is..........Does it matter how many "nuts" you have to be a good coach or ref???????
Old 04-18-14, 03:42 PM
All District

Ruger is on a distinguished road
The Merger would be a huge mistake for Ohio Soccer !

First off both these clubs cannot properly manage what they have now !
Matter of fact both clubs are way to big now due to GREED !

The top teams get some love the rest of the Branches or whatever you call them have parent coaches who have basically stolen these teams and have went their own way and the club has no idea what they are doing.

So Now you have a huge Merger that is being pushed by GREED ! to fuel the top teams.

This again would be stupid and would hurt the culture of soccer in Ohio South.

The competition between the clubs is what forces the teams to be so good from Ohio South without that you have nothing !

Very bad decision, but great for parents who have big egos who want to coach a select soccer team, because they will

Matter of fact if the merger takes place they might as well start training at the Rumpke Dump as that is where all the Garbage trucks will be coming together !
Old 04-18-14, 03:51 PM
All District

mollautt is on a distinguished road
=>In other news, SAY soccer will try to create it's own select league called the "Premier League." Individual SAY programs will have teams. Currently, SAY has a Rec Plus league where players on current SAY rec teams could also play on the district's Rec Plus team. The change will be kids no longer have to play on a SAY Rec team. The SAY teams will not be part of Ohio South/USYSA, but instead the players will be carded through SAY. The SAY Premier teams will play in unrestricted select tournaments which is most tournaments anyway.

Information link:

http://saysoccer.org/programs.aspx

Last edited by mollautt; 04-18-14 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: More information.
Old 04-18-14, 03:59 PM
All American

I hate it. Actually killing me. Got to say it.......Ruger is on to something. Proper structure=Big $$, sorry I meant, Proper structure=Great training.
Old 04-18-14, 05:17 PM
Freshman

Bob Barker is on a distinguished road
Use of the term "poaching" is a defense mechanism. Roby Stahl was the best thing that ever happened to KSA, now KHA. At least that's how all of us in Kentucky feel. Good luck to anyone that tries to better themself with a better opportunity.
Old 04-18-14, 07:17 PM
All Region

Elk is on a distinguished road
I kind of remember some posts about a big merger, maybe about a year ago,....that never happened. I searched though and couldn't find them. Deleted? Anyway,....just saying.
Old 04-18-14, 08:27 PM
All District

Reynaldo2000 is on a distinguished road
No more mergers please!

The system is broken. Please let us stop the madness of more mergers and bigger clubs where parents of 11 yr. olds are paying thousands of dollars for trainers. Lets put things in perspective people, many of these players are burnt out by the time they get to HS and at young ages wins are almost always a factor of physical size and early development of the body. Add to the fact that most refs have no clue how to officiate these age groups and protect the smail, skilled players. Hell, Messi would have been relegated to a 3rd division team if he would have grown up playing in the U.S. because he would have been smacked around on the field as a 12 yr. old, and the officials would have let it go.

Lets teach skill, ball control, and let the game teach the players as they develop naturally into silled players and stop making youth soccer into big business with clubs like CU, CSA, WC, KHA and OE. Bigger is not always better.
Old 04-18-14, 09:32 PM
Freshman

SmallFish is on a distinguished road
Not gonna happen, but that would've been a very shrewd move.
Old 04-18-14, 10:51 PM
All American

NfamousWayneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NfamousWayneFan
I keep on hearing rumors on how a few Cincy area clubs are trying to merge with Dayton area clubs.

Don't have clubs merge? There are so many freaking clubs out there, I am seeing clubs only a few miles apart and even some that use the same park.... There are way to many clubs out there as it is!
Old 04-19-14, 11:05 AM
All District

Draper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallFish View Post
Not gonna happen, but that would've been a very shrewd move.
That's what I heard. There were talks, but nothing is going to happen per CUP big wig.
Old 04-19-14, 10:12 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by NfamousWayneFan View Post
I keep on hearing rumors on how a few Cincy area clubs are trying to merge with Dayton area clubs.

Don't have clubs merge? There are so many freaking clubs out there, I am seeing clubs only a few miles apart and even some that use the same park.... There are way to many clubs out there as it is!
Humor me. What is the advantage of big clubs again? I think many assume this is a good thing, but I just don't see the benefits. Maybe I am missing something.....
Old 04-19-14, 11:45 PM
All American

NfamousWayneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NfamousWayneFan
Easier to group the best players with the best players.

But then again there might be a difference on how you see it being from Cincy area and my point of view being just north of Dayton. I see all of these "clubs" with less than 10 teams, some of them with little as 2 teams. Heck Fairborn Rec Skyhawks will put together a "select" team if there is a need. Right now there is a U9 team with (3) studs and they surrounded them with rec players. Yeah the team is good but I really think that they are losing out in so much just playing with rec players.

Look at Germantown there is (2) clubs with a handful of teams each playing at the same park! I don't know but I think it is just ridiculous!

Last edited by NfamousWayneFan; 04-20-14 at 10:29 AM..
Old 04-20-14, 08:41 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by NfamousWayneFan View Post
Easier to group the best players with the best players.

But then again there might be a difference on how you see it being from Cincy area and my point of view being just north of Dayton. I see all of these "clubs" with less than 10 teams, some of them with little as 2 teams. Heck Fairborn Rec Skyhawks will put together a "select" team if there is a need. Right now there is a U9 team with (3) studs and they surrounded them with rec players. Yeah the team is good but I really think that they are losing out in so much just playing with rec players.

Look at Germantown there is (2) clubs with a handful of teams each playing at the same park! I don't know but I think it is just ridiculous!
Well I certainly see your point if your are referring to clubs in which rec players are part of the team. I don't see too many clubs in Cinci with less than 10 teams. First of all, CUSL would not let them in unless they merge with a larger club, and outside of CUSL, there are not many options for the young age groups. I am referencing the mega-clubs that have 6-10 teams in each AGE group, and the false pretense that this is automatically a good thing for select soccer. I think there is an arrogance from these clubs that they are the only ones who can provide high quality training and provide kids with an opportunity to develop. Now, I am sure there are many small clubs with parent coaches that do not know what they are doing, but I will put my training up against any trainer around, and I don't even have a british accent!

Also, I might question what makes a "stud" player at the U9-U11 age group. I propose that it is mostly about size and aggressiveness at this stage, not necessarily skill. So what are we doing? We are putting the biggest, strongest, early developers in a competitive environment and claiming they are elite players. When in fact, 5-6 years later most of those Elite players will have fallen off the radar (or they are burn out with the sport and don't even want to play when they are 17 yrs. old). This is the problem with our philosophy here in the U.S. select soccer system. We should let the great players bubble up from the small clubs, develop naturally, without filtering them out because they don't want to pay $1000 a season and drive 45 minutes to practice three times a week when they are 10 years old. When they get to U12/13, then they will naturally gravitate to the best trainers and teams. It just seems like a money grab for these mega clubs, when other options might be better for the majority of players. When a parent's only choice is to play for one or two clubs, they have no choice but to pay out the nose and live by the rules set by the mega club.

Just my opinion. I was heavily involved in select many years ago, got out when I had kids, and now I am back involved, and I am shocked at what I see. I've been a paid trainer for big and small clubs, at every age level. Even though I got paid (which was peanuts compared to what today's youth trainers get for the mega-club), I always did it for the love of the game, and I am disappointed to see how much of a big business youth soccer has become. Now I do it for free as a "parent" coach.
Old 04-20-14, 10:18 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo2000 View Post
Well I certainly see your point if your are referring to clubs in which rec players are part of the team. I don't see too many clubs in Cinci with less than 10 teams. First of all, CUSL would not let them in unless they merge with a larger club, and outside of CUSL, there are not many options for the young age groups. I am referencing the mega-clubs that have 6-10 teams in each AGE group, and the false pretense that this is automatically a good thing for select soccer. I think there is an arrogance from these clubs that they are the only ones who can provide high quality training and provide kids with an opportunity to develop. Now, I am sure there are many small clubs with parent coaches that do not know what they are doing, but I will put my training up against any trainer around, and I don't even have a british accent!

Also, I might question what makes a "stud" player at the U9-U11 age group. I propose that it is mostly about size and aggressiveness at this stage, not necessarily skill. So what are we doing? We are putting the biggest, strongest, early developers in a competitive environment and claiming they are elite players. When in fact, 5-6 years later most of those Elite players will have fallen off the radar (or they are burn out with the sport and don't even want to play when they are 17 yrs. old). This is the problem with our philosophy here in the U.S. select soccer system. We should let the great players bubble up from the small clubs, develop naturally, without filtering them out because they don't want to pay $1000 a season and drive 45 minutes to practice three times a week when they are 10 years old. When they get to U12/13, then they will naturally gravitate to the best trainers and teams. It just seems like a money grab for these mega clubs, when other options might be better for the majority of players. When a parent's only choice is to play for one or two clubs, they have no choice but to pay out the nose and live by the rules set by the mega club.

Just my opinion. I was heavily involved in select many years ago, got out when I had kids, and now I am back involved, and I am shocked at what I see. I've been a paid trainer for big and small clubs, at every age level. Even though I got paid (which was peanuts compared to what today's youth trainers get for the mega-club), I always did it for the love of the game, and I am disappointed to see how much of a big business youth soccer has become. Now I do it for free as a "parent" coach.
That's wonderful, but most parent coaches are terrible. Give me professional training and I'll pay for it. It's worth it.
Old 04-21-14, 10:00 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC98 View Post
That's wonderful, but most parent coaches are terrible. Give me professional training and I'll pay for it. It's worth it.
Agree that many parent coaches are poor, but there are also a slew of "professional" (what does that mean anyway) trainers who are poor, who are only in it for the money and don't care about kids or know how to teach. Don't throw your money away needlessly. Watch the guy (or girl) work with kids and see how they connect, see if they adjust instruction based on evidence, see if they give proper feedback. Do they even go to the games or are they training 10 teams and never get to see your kid play? How can they evaluate game performance when they are never there? Is there practice run like a factory simply putting players through a set of activities? Don't buy into the hype of having your kid play for a high profile club just so you can post here that my kid plays for xxxx. So many parents are suckers for this and just make it profitable for this to continue. Let's get back to what the game is all about, and stop this insanity of bigger and costlier clubs for our youth soccer players.

Here is a tip- If you are looking to get a college scholarship for your kid, take the money that you are spending on high priced clubs/training and put it into a mutual fund on a regular basis. You will have plenty for college when your kid is 18 !
Old 04-22-14, 08:06 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Agree that many parent coaches are poor, but there are also a slew of "professional" (what does that mean anyway) trainers who are poor, who are only in it for the money and don't care about kids or know how to teach. Don't throw your money away needlessly. Watch the guy (or girl) work with kids and see how they connect, see if they adjust instruction based on evidence, see if they give proper feedback. Do they even go to the games or are they training 10 teams and never get to see your kid play? How can they evaluate game performance when they are never there? Is there practice run like a factory simply putting players through a set of activities? Don't buy into the hype of having your kid play for a high profile club just so you can post here that my kid plays for xxxx. So many parents are suckers for this and just make it profitable for this to continue. Let's get back to what the game is all about, and stop this insanity of bigger and costlier clubs for our youth soccer players.

Here is a tip- If you are looking to get a college scholarship for your kid, take the money that you are spending on high priced clubs/training and put it into a mutual fund on a regular basis. You will have plenty for college when your kid is 18 !
I'm not saying you're wrong, but Parents can put their kid where they want. They are free to move around as they see fit. It's ironic because you also see criticism on here of parents who move their kids to a different club as being "helicopter parents" who are "over managing their little Suzy".

I just think some people are being over critical. You think soccer is expensive? It's nothing compared to high level gymnastics. Or check out the money that goes into competitive cheerleading or dance. Talk about a scam.

Hey, for some of these parents who populate lower teams at big clubs, maybe their daughters like being part of a prestigious club. If it makes their daughters happy, is that really "wrong"? Maybe they'd get more attention at a smaller club. I know at WC, most of the teams have 3 players from the team beneath them that they groom to one day make the roster. They are invited to any practice they can attend, they are invited to tournaments. So there are players that get to practice with superior players, and catch the eye of coaches and trainers and can move up to Elite teams. They have a chance to one day play in the MRL, to go to Disney, etc. I see it happen all the time. The small clubs, generally speaking, and SAY soccer in particular, you don't have that upside.

I just think a lot of this negativity I'm reading is misplaced.
Old 04-22-14, 10:23 PM
All District

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Parents can put their kid where they want. They are free to move around as they see fit.

Not if there are only a couple of mega clubs. This is my point exactly and you made it for me.

[II just think some people are being over critical. You think soccer is expensive? It's nothing compared to high level gymnastics. Or check out the money that goes into competitive cheerleading or dance. Talk about a scam.[/I]

Please tell me you are not saying youth soccer should be like gymnastics or competitive cheerleading.... Only an elite few kids get to participate and those are the ones with families with money? Soccer is a sport for the masses. Let's not make it into polo. A kid with parents who can't afford 1K a season should not be left out of the game. What about middle income families with 4-5 kids? I know I can't afford that. The only option will by SAY Soccer. Can't we find a middle ground?

Hey, for some of these parents who populate lower teams at big clubs, maybe their daughters like being part of a prestigious club. If it makes their daughters happy, is that really "wrong"? Maybe they'd get more attention at a smaller club. I know at WC, most of the teams have 3 players from the team beneath them that they groom to one day make the roster. They are invited to any practice they can attend, they are invited to tournaments. So there are players that get to practice with superior players, and catch the eye of coaches and trainers and can move up to Elite teams. They have a chance to one day play in the MRL, to go to Disney, etc. I see it happen all the time. The small clubs, generally speaking, and SAY soccer in particular, you don't have that upside.

Good point, I see the value in having the ability for a player to move up the ranks in the larger clubs. However, from what I have seen and heard, this is not always the case. Many times the 2nd and 3rd team players are passed over because the 1st team trainer is out recruiting kids from other clubs. And I mean recruiting (10-11 year olds !). I have experienced this first hand as a parent of one of those players. Right after the game the other trainer comes up to my wife and invites my kid to play for them. Little did he know I was the trainer for her team! I've seen the same thing from other trainers/coaches at the big clubs.

I just think a lot of this negativity I'm reading is misplaced.

Not negativity, I am actually offering a positive solution to the current state of affairs. I just have a different vision for youth soccer that what I see happening. I want LOTS of kids to enjoy the sport, and not just the wealthy ones. I want coaches/trainers who are doing it for the love of the game, not to make money off of unsuspecting parents. I want lots of opportunities for kids to play for different clubs with different philosophies, choosing the one that is best for them. I am not against elite teams, I think the best players should come together on an elite team. I am against mega clubs running everyone else out of the game so they have a monopoly.
Old 04-23-14, 06:46 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Many times the 2nd and 3rd team players are passed over because the 1st team trainer is out recruiting kids from other clubs.
Reynaldo,

you have made many valid points. your entire post is good.

now let's address the point above and play a little trivia game. everybody participate. there will only be one question but i'll give a few clues.

Q: what club and what trainer would fit the above scenario?

Clue: offers spots to players from other clubs on his team and lures them with promises of starting positions, more playing time, and invitations to identification camps. this trainer has been doing this for a long time and does it at the expense of his own players. come on, everybody.....name the club and the trainer!! bonus snacks to anyone with the correct answers.
Old 04-23-14, 07:38 AM
Freshman

Quote:

Please tell me you are not saying youth soccer should be like gymnastics or competitive cheerleading.... Only an elite few kids get to participate and those are the ones with families with money? Soccer is a sport for the masses. Let's not make it into polo. A kid with parents who can't afford 1K a season should not be left out of the game. What about middle income families with 4-5 kids? I know I can't afford that. The only option will by SAY Soccer. Can't we find a middle ground?
We'll take the non-elite teams at WC. Take a U10 team. Club fees for a season are $225. Team fees vary, but are around $150-$200 to pay for 2-3 tournaments. If that is too steep, there is SAY soccer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: