Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-03-17, 11:58 PM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 261
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
CUP Question

Why does CUP have 5-6 coaches and a trainer on the sidelines for the games in Disney? Looked pretty strange with that many on the sidelines for a youth soccer game.

Also,

Why does CUP have the president of the club on the sidelines as a coach and is a parent of one of the players? That just does not make CUP look very good IMO.
Does anyone know how this is allowed other than politics?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-05-17, 03:15 PM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
Why does CUP have 5-6 coaches and a trainer on the sidelines for the games in Disney? Looked pretty strange with that many on the sidelines for a youth soccer game.

Also,

Why does CUP have the president of the club on the sidelines as a coach and is a parent of one of the players? That just does not make CUP look very good IMO.
Does anyone know how this is allowed other than politics?
Lol!! Awesome... The better question is what is the approach required to change it...?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-17, 02:44 PM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 261
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
Wish I knew the approach to change it. Makes CUP look bad but the men in charge don't seem to care.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-17, 04:43 PM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
Wish I knew the approach to change it. Makes CUP look bad but the men in charge don't seem to care.
I don't think the folks in charge are even aware of what it looks like, and if they were I doubt they would care.

Mass exodus is the key to change but also the least likely thing to happen.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-17, 08:22 PM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Well now we know where the focus has been. Not sure about the management, but happy for the city. Now the young boys across this town can show what they can do.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-17, 10:51 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,433
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
Why does CUP have 5-6 coaches and a trainer on the sidelines for the games in Disney? Looked pretty strange with that many on the sidelines for a youth soccer game.

Also,

Why does CUP have the president of the club on the sidelines as a coach and is a parent of one of the players? That just does not make CUP look very good IMO.
Does anyone know how this is allowed other than politics?
I can't speak on parent coaches overall, but I've had a parent coach for my son's team the last 4 years. The last 2 years he has been an assistant on our CUP team. I can't say it has been a problem with having a coach who's son is also on the team, but that is just me and just on this one team. I've seen it be a problem in other sports.

As far as having extra coaches on the sidelines. I know CUP coaches will attend other CUP team games when they are in the area and available. They will usually sit on or near the bench, but they are always there purely in an observatory role. It's done many times to see the other kids in the club in action so they are more aware of the kids within the entire club and not just the ones they directly coach that season.

You may be right, that they aren't always aware of how it may look from the outside, but I don't think there is anything purposely egregious going on.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-17, 02:17 PM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 261
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
Yes I agree lots of CUP folks all will gather and watch games as long as all aren't trying to coach or tell players things not a big deal.

However you have the President of CUP acting as a coach with a kid playing on the field. This person talks directly to college coaches..... I would hope that CUP is giving everyone a fair shake when getting looked at.
I guess when that player plays on one team in the AM then plays with another age group later that day it sure looks very shady.
Especially when other kids sit out so presidents kid plays twice in the same day in front of College coaches. IMO
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-17, 03:31 PM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
Yes I agree lots of CUP folks all will gather and watch games as long as all aren't trying to coach or tell players things not a big deal.

However you have the President of CUP acting as a coach with a kid playing on the field. This person talks directly to college coaches..... I would hope that CUP is giving everyone a fair shake when getting looked at.
I guess when that player plays on one team in the AM then plays with another age group later that day it sure looks very shady.
Especially when other kids sit out so presidents kid plays twice in the same day in front of College coaches. IMO
I believe it would be a mistake to rely on the club for proactive discussions with college coaches about your player (or mine) at the age groups you're talking about. The McGinley days are long long gone. And like you... I have no doubt about the current club priorities.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-17, 08:49 AM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 261
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
Agreed, we will work in that ourselves can't depend on CUP to help out.
I am sure there is some good at CUP but a lot of it I'm just sick and tired of some of the stuff that goes on.

Common sense should tell you if you run the club as "President" focus on that job only and stop trying to coach....

DOC should know better too....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-17, 09:36 AM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
Agreed, we will work in that ourselves can't depend on CUP to help out.
I am sure there is some good at CUP but a lot of it I'm just sick and tired of some of the stuff that goes on.

Common sense should tell you if you run the club as "President" focus on that job only and stop trying to coach....

DOC should know better too....
Amen Brother.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-17, 11:30 PM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbyb View Post
Is your kid on the U16 Cup Gold team?
Is there an actual point to that question that isn't served through the private messaging system?

I mean I'm game for the last 4 digits of your social and your moms maiden name too.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-17, 02:28 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: North Side
Posts: 9,798
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
this was fun
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-15-17, 09:14 PM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
this was fun
About as much fun as counting the number of CUP boys teams that will be dropping out of the national league after one completely mis-managed year.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-16-17, 08:40 AM
sweeney413 sweeney413 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-03-14
Posts: 53
sweeney413 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2731 View Post
About as much fun as counting the number of CUP boys teams that will be dropping out of the national league after one completely mis-managed year.
Dropping out? Besides re-qualifying by winning the national league, you have to qualify by having success in regionals or MRL. Both the U16's and U18's have put themselves in a good position going into Vegas in about a month. The U15's and U17's are also very talented groups that have a very good chance of re-qualification next year. The CUP staff has done a very good job of development of players especially in an important year such as this one. They must be doing something right as they just got the DA for the U12-U14 age groups.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-16-17, 09:30 AM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney413 View Post
Dropping out? Besides re-qualifying by winning the national league, you have to qualify by having success in regionals or MRL. Both the U16's and U18's have put themselves in a good position going into Vegas in about a month. The U15's and U17's are also very talented groups that have a very good chance of re-qualification next year. The CUP staff has done a very good job of development of players especially in an important year such as this one. They must be doing something right as they just got the DA for the U12-U14 age groups.
Time will certainly tell.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-16-17, 12:51 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 8,969
winbypin is on a distinguished road
I guess the good news is you guys can have your kids tryout for better clubs next year if things are so bad with CUP.

And then I guess start a new thread about how bad things are with your new club!

And while you're busy about worrying about getting your kids noticed by college coaches also be sure they keep their grades up and good test scores too....academic money is something they can't take away in case your kid gets injured or decides college soccer isn't for him.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-07-17, 11:15 PM
steelboot steelboot is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-16-12
Posts: 168
steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney413 View Post
Dropping out? Besides re-qualifying by winning the national league, you have to qualify by having success in regionals or MRL. Both the U16's and U18's have put themselves in a good position going into Vegas in about a month. The U15's and U17's are also very talented groups that have a very good chance of re-qualification next year. The CUP staff has done a very good job of development of players especially in an important year such as this one. They must be doing something right as they just got the DA for the U12-U14 age groups.
Wonder why they didn't get the DA at the older age groups? Guess SB wasn't on his knees long enough. Probably tired from getting unqualified teams into the National league.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-11-17, 12:41 AM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 261
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
The U16 team is a good team with many good players. They do not have a stud on the team that stands out. SK is a good player but not outstanding and no different than any player on team. So why does he get moved around and play Up?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-13-17, 08:33 AM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbyb View Post
Give us an update from Vegas. How many coaches are on the bench? Is the "guest coach" running the show? How many college coaches has the Pres talked to?
The 16s and 18 are a combined 8-1-1, not exactly "counting the number of CUP boys teams that will be dropping out of the national league after one completely mis-managed year"
Good luck. Maybe you can punch a ticket to Nationals in your final months at your beloved Club.
Thankfully, there were no shenanigans with coaching or with groups. Things were taken as seriously as you would have expected them to be at the prior two tournaments. I'll say... It's about time.

So far it's 50%. We will see if the others can requalify.


Had some other stuff here, but ya know what... forget it. Everything CUP does is awesome. The Coaches and staff are responsible for all the good fortune. All the players should just be thankful and not expect more.

Last edited by 2731; 03-14-17 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Not worth the audience.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-02-17, 09:37 AM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbyb View Post
Give us an update on Nationals.

16-and-Under Boys Best Eleven.

Brennan Callow
CUP Gold 01 (OH-S)
Defender
Angelo Oquendo
Raiders FC (IL)
Forward
Case Cox
Javanon 2001 Black (KY)
Midfield
Sam Kunkemoeller
CUP Gold 01 (OH-S)
Forward
Dane Harmaty
Phila Ukrainian Nationals 01 Black Premier (PA-E)
Forward
Logan Stoltenborg
Lobos Rush 01 Premier (TN)
Midfield
Brandon Brackett
Lobos Rush 01 Premier (TN)
Midfield
Alejandro Rodriguez
Tampa Bay United (FL)
Forward
Gustavo Jimenez-Guzman
Lobos Rush 01 Premier (TN)
Defender
Jeffrey Copper*
Tampa Bay United
Forward
Angel Franco
WCFC Armour 2001
Forward
Team performed better than anyone's expectation. Never did fix the offensive issues all season and it cost us in the semi finals. SK was credited with a goal that was an obvious own goal. He actually only scored 1 and had no assists. His best 11 spot belongs with JPG, with 2 goals and 2 assists. BC played his heart out. More guest players scored than actual team members. Possession was heavily in favor of all opponents, in all games. Yet the boys still found a way. We were completely out coached in the semis. We actually beat the Champs in group play (you can watch how on youtube). Defense may not win championships but its good for third.

That's the report.

(one more thing.... check LOBOS record and scores, then explain how they got 3 in the best 11... I'll be collecting your quizzes at the end of the term.)

Last edited by 2731; 08-02-17 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-02-17, 10:21 AM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 261
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
SK won it before he got to Texas....
Not sure how he gets all the glory. There has been plenty of other CUP players that likely deserve some attention.

If you rate past CUP players to the current SK can't hold a candle to them.
But Daddy is the president and is always on the sideline each and every game.

Not sure why the coaches allow it but they do. One coach wanted nothing to do with Daddy K input or sideline crap and he is no longer the coach. He was likely the best coach ever to come through the CUP system but has moved on and is very successful in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-16-17, 02:56 PM
Gr8tS0ccr Gr8tS0ccr is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-30-12
Posts: 77
Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
When FC Cincinnati gets into MLS, it won't matter...except that maybe CUP wants to BE FC Cincinnati when that happens. CUP isn't the only club with a President that coaches. Alliance , Warren County, Cincy West, Impact, OE (Which is for profit now in case no one noticed) and I am sure many others(most volunteers are parents). I don't know if they coach their own kids or not, but if they are qualified (at least one of them I know was successful club coach some time ago), why not? I also see most big clubs support their clubs teams, especially the staff coaches. As a parent, I like to see my kids team getting attention from more than just his coach. I know the anonymity makes it easy to complain on here, but why bother? If you don't like your situation, then change it. There are plenty of other clubs out there these days (not that I think that is a good thing for our City).
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-07-17, 11:20 PM
steelboot steelboot is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-16-12
Posts: 168
steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tS0ccr View Post
When FC Cincinnati gets into MLS, it won't matter...except that maybe CUP wants to BE FC Cincinnati when that happens. CUP isn't the only club with a President that coaches. Alliance , Warren County, Cincy West, Impact, OE (Which is for profit now in case no one noticed) and I am sure many others(most volunteers are parents). I don't know if they coach their own kids or not, but if they are qualified (at least one of them I know was successful club coach some time ago), why not? I also see most big clubs support their clubs teams, especially the staff coaches. As a parent, I like to see my kids team getting attention from more than just his coach. I know the anonymity makes it easy to complain on here, but why bother? If you don't like your situation, then change it. There are plenty of other clubs out there these days (not that I think that is a good thing for our City).
So by saying that there are plenty of other clubs out there and you don't think that is good for our city, one could assume you would prefer it be CUP and nothing else? That is just non-sense.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-08-17, 09:29 AM
Gr8tS0ccr Gr8tS0ccr is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-30-12
Posts: 77
Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelboot View Post
So by saying that there are plenty of other clubs out there and you don't think that is good for our city, one could assume you would prefer it be CUP and nothing else? That is just non-sense.
No, just the opposite. I think there should be competition/more than just one club. However, I think there are too many small clubs that aren't qualified to truly develop soccer players which ultimately hurts our ability to compete as a city/region outside of the Cincinnati area. The only reason that is even possible right now is that Buckeye takes anyone and everyone with no club affiliation. If they had to join a well established club, with qualified / licensed coaches to play in a select/competitive league, then there would be a lot fewer clubs, consolidating like talent together, accelerating development for some kids that right now get left behind at smaller clubs, even though they have the athletic ability to compete.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-09-17, 09:34 AM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 261
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
Has National League changed the way teams are allowed to play in the league?

You used to earn your way, what is the criteria now to be placed in National League?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-09-17, 01:01 PM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
Has National League changed the way teams are allowed to play in the league?

You used to earn your way, what is the criteria now to be placed in National League?
National League expanded this year, can't remember how many teams added, but it was alot. There were openings for several unqualified teams. Also the birth age switch allowed for some negotiation. That's a big reason why this opportunity is so precious.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-16-17, 06:55 PM
2731 2731 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-16
Posts: 246
2731 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the sage advice guys!

Just to update you, Junior is looking forward to a competetive season in Buckeye with his new club!

Also I got him his first book and these cool little cards with small math problems on them for practicing!

I think I'm all set now except for one thing. I keep hearing about these "SAT" and "ACT" things. Junior can use a chair like a pro but do I really need to get him into theatre?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-02-17, 01:02 PM
soccerlogic soccerlogic is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-31-14
Posts: 84
soccerlogic is on a distinguished road
Can someone give an update on how the CUP U18 B did at Nationals? From Twitter they finished #6. That was a very talented group, what happened? I'm guessing they were out coached... ha
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-02-17, 01:14 PM
Happygoluckky Happygoluckky is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-29-14
Posts: 2,346
Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerlogic View Post
Can someone give an update on how the CUP U18 B did at Nationals? From Twitter they finished #6. That was a very talented group, what happened? I'm guessing they were out coached... ha
Won 1 Lost 2. They lost to the two teams who met in the finals. Close matches just did not put enough in the back of the net.

Last edited by Happygoluckky; 08-02-17 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-02-17, 08:49 PM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 261
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
Go figure a CUP team that can't score....

The club spends 24/7 tweeting about just about everything maybe they should teach some players how to score.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GMC & GCLS very cool Question lotr10 Football 69 11-04-16 04:56 PM
Heckler called out at Ryder Cup and wins $100 Yappi General Board 0 09-30-16 12:03 AM
Calder Cup Champions: Lake Erie Monsters EagleFan General Board 19 06-17-16 01:52 PM
Big Merger News..... Juan Pelota Girls Soccer 214 05-25-16 12:59 PM
NCAA Elite Eight/MLS Cup NEOsportsfan09 Boys Soccer 16 12-08-15 02:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz