Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > St Xavier Bombers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-22-17, 01:56 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
I can understand why a Moeller guy wants to see him leave, but if he leaves, it's not likely to be to take another coaching job-- what other HS would be preferred to coaching his alma mater?

...And it's not going to be to coach in college, as he has made clear that he has no interest in dealing with the cesspool of college recruiting-- so why do you bring this up-- other than to try to unsettle the situation at your toughest rival (which is the obvious reason-- not surprised that you would do that-- it's certainly your right-- but it does not reflect any great insight or understanding of our coach's career plans).

It's a bit like the St. X alums who are always asking if the school is going to "go coed" -- why would we ever do that-- or need to? It's absurd.
The only way he leaves is for a college gig. No way he takes on another HS job, zero incentive to do so.
Old 11-22-17, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
What's your problem? I ask a legitimate question and you go on an anti Moeller rant. The guy is a great coach. He probably can do a lot of things football related as opposed to HC at X. Does he have any younger family members coming up? Does he want to make more money? It would seem to me that the guy has a lot of upward mobility. If he leaves X I don't think anyone would blame him. Get off your high horse. You guys had a great two year run. I wish we could do the same. I'm sure all 4 GCL-S schools will be just fine going forward. If you know so much about your coaches career plans why don't you go out on a limb and share them. GBM
Legit question Birdog. There has been speculation for a few years now after his kids graduate. Silly for someone to melt down over it. The guy is talented.
Old 11-22-17, 08:38 PM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
What's your problem? I ask a legitimate question and you go on an anti Moeller rant. The guy is a great coach. He probably can do a lot of things football related as opposed to HC at X. Does he have any younger family members coming up? Does he want to make more money? It would seem to me that the guy has a lot of upward mobility. If he leaves X I don't think anyone would blame him. Get off your high horse. You guys had a great two year run. I wish we could do the same. I'm sure all 4 GCL-S schools will be just fine going forward. If you know so much about your coaches career plans why don't you go out on a limb and share them. GBM
I did not go on an "anti Moeller rant"-- you'll know when I do that-- because there's plenty more to be said on that score...

As for sharing his plans, I've posted several times (on this forum, and on the main Yappi football forum) that Specht himself has said pointedly and unequivocally (to a very large forum of several hundred people) that he has NO interest in being a college coach, because he finds the recruiting aspect of college to be immoral, unethical-- and completely distasteful to him... he said that he did not know what he would be doing in the future (in other words, leaving the door open to not being X's coach)-- but it was not going to be coaching college football-- which is what everyone who speculates on his future keeps assuming-- that somehow he wants/plans to follow the path that Coombs has trod-- he does NOT-- and I only think I know, because I take the man at his (very public) word.

Your question is one that is regularly posted by those who choose to ignore previous public information-- in my opinion, because they would like to introduce uncertainty into X's situation-- and I know why those people would like to do that-- because it would tend to weaken the football program at their most difficult rival. So, while I realize that speculation by Yappi posters is unlikely to have any effect on what Specht chooses to do next, I (not surprisingly) have no real patience for people who keep asking this same question about whether Specht is leaving to coach somewhere else-- most informed observers readily agree he isn't leaving to coach somewhere else in HS, and he isn't leaving to coach football in college (because HE HAS EXPLICITLY SAID HE IS NOT GOING TO!), so the question is annoying, tiresome, and seems calculated to irritate and unsettle.
Old 11-22-17, 08:45 PM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Faust is/was a sniveling con man. Read Steve Delshon's book, his players at ND thought he was a pvsy.
I think this is a hugely over-harsh assessment of Faust-- I know the man personally, and while he (like all of us) has his faults, he is a tremendous human being in most respects, and would do anything to help his players. I would very much doubt that Faust's ND players are not supporters of Faust today-- he is too good of a man, for people (who were recruited by and played for him) to not be very positive in their overall view of the man.
Old 11-23-17, 12:31 AM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I think this is a hugely over-harsh assessment of Faust-- I know the man personally, and while he (like all of us) has his faults, he is a tremendous human being in most respects, and would do anything to help his players. I would very much doubt that Faust's ND players are not supporters of Faust today-- he is too good of a man, for people (who were recruited by and played for him) to not be very positive in their overall view of the man.
Again, read Steve Delsohn's book. His own players thought he was soft and were tired of him harping on about his Moeller days. Let's not forget the stories about him breaking down in tears during in home visits.

And you might think Gerry is a "good man", but good men don't con or cheat their way to the top. He's played you like he did the idiot Priest who hired him at ND.
Old 11-23-17, 09:04 AM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I did not go on an "anti Moeller rant"-- you'll know when I do that-- because there's plenty more to be said on that score...

As for sharing his plans, I've posted several times (on this forum, and on the main Yappi football forum) that Specht himself has said pointedly and unequivocally (to a very large forum of several hundred people) that he has NO interest in being a college coach, because he finds the recruiting aspect of college to be immoral, unethical-- and completely distasteful to him... he said that he did not know what he would be doing in the future (in other words, leaving the door open to not being X's coach)-- but it was not going to be coaching college football-- which is what everyone who speculates on his future keeps assuming-- that somehow he wants/plans to follow the path that Coombs has trod-- he does NOT-- and I only think I know, because I take the man at his (very public) word.

Your question is one that is regularly posted by those who choose to ignore previous public information-- in my opinion, because they would like to introduce uncertainty into X's situation-- and I know why those people would like to do that-- because it would tend to weaken the football program at their most difficult rival. So, while I realize that speculation by Yappi posters is unlikely to have any effect on what Specht chooses to do next, I (not surprisingly) have no real patience for people who keep asking this same question about whether Specht is leaving to coach somewhere else-- most informed observers readily agree he isn't leaving to coach somewhere else in HS, and he isn't leaving to coach football in college (because HE HAS EXPLICITLY SAID HE IS NOT GOING TO!), so the question is annoying, tiresome, and seems calculated to irritate and unsettle.
I think someone needs a vacation. GBM