Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-06-17, 11:50 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Don Simpson Named Head Coach At Middletown

Middletown selects Princeton assistant to lead football program

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...LyBNwnfL2EYAP/
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-17, 11:53 PM
Varsity

llthayes19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
Middletown selects Princeton assistant to lead football program

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...LyBNwnfL2EYAP/
Donnie is a good friend of mine. Congrats to him! Personally I believe he should have got the CHCA job when Taylor left.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-17, 07:15 AM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=llthayes19;6937726]Donnie is a good friend of mine. Congrats to him! Personally I believe he should have got the CHCA job when Taylor left.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/QUO

Since you know him very well, please fill in some of us that do not know him. What are his past accomplishments as an assistant coach that led to him getting a head coaching job other than he probably didnít have alot of coaches pounding down the door to take on the mess that he is coming into at Middletown? Why didnít CHCA believe he was worthy to be their head coach when they already knew him? Good thing for Coach Simpson is the bar isnít set high and it wonít take many wins to improve from the previous coachís lack of success. Good Luck Coach Simpson
Old 12-07-17, 08:28 AM
Varsity

[QUOTE=Middie 85 Alum;6937761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by llthayes19 View Post
Donnie is a good friend of mine. Congrats to him! Personally I believe he should have got the CHCA job when Taylor left.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/QUO

Since you know him very well, please fill in some of us that do not know him. What are his past accomplishments as an assistant coach that led to him getting a head coaching job other than he probably didnít have alot of coaches pounding down the door to take on the mess that he is coming into at Middletown? Why didnít CHCA believe he was worthy to be their head coach when they already knew him? Good thing for Coach Simpson is the bar isnít set high and it wonít take many wins to improve from the previous coachís lack of success. Good Luck Coach Simpson
Well defensively he loves 3-4, hopefully he's has the NG and speedy athletic LBs. When I first met him he was coaching at Norwood. Then he moved on to chca. Where he stayed for like six or seven years I believe. He was the defensive coordinator over there also. Had a pretty good run defensively. Those guys just couldn't get past Coldwater. Head coach Eric Taylor recommended him to become the head coach. But I guess they went a different direction and hired Eric Mueller. Who's also a good friend of mine. He had the head coaching experience. And I also put a few guys and two major d-1 schools in Columbus where he coached at. So I get the hire there. After that he went with Eric Taylor over to Deer Park and was also the defensive coordinator. Stayed one year and left to join Daniels at Princeton this past year. Where he was also the defensive coordinator. I know the expectations are not high at Middletown. But the City of Middletown has way too many athletes to a fallen off and two hard times like they have. I hope you can turn the page up there and get that program back to being at least respectable. Looks like they have a new gym in the new weight room. And are trying to continue to upgrade the athletic facilities. I wish him and Middletown the best of luck!

Old 12-07-17, 08:31 AM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Middletown picked a coach with no experience running a program to be the head coach of what they believe to be a big time division 1 head coaching job? A coach with no experience is stepping into a mess. This is a big head scratching hire in my mind and really puts the administration on a thin line after hiring Engleka-mess. That said I want to wish Coach Simpson luck and may you have more than 3 years to figure it out. Good luck to you.
Old 12-07-17, 08:45 AM
Varsity

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Agree with History Teacher on being a head scratcher (and then some). You had multiple coaches with not only Head Coaching experience and success with playoff experience as well as at least two college coaches wanting the job. Thought they wanted to hit it out of the park with the hire but on paper these seems heh. Not only no HC experience but coaching mostly at lower levels. Wish the guy luck because the GMC and Middletown needs to have Middie Magic back in some form.
Old 12-07-17, 11:11 AM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
Agree with History Teacher on being a head scratcher (and then some). You had multiple coaches with not only Head Coaching experience and success with playoff experience as well as at least two college coaches wanting the job. Thought they wanted to hit it out of the park with the hire but on paper these seems heh. Not only no HC experience but coaching mostly at lower levels. Wish the guy luck because the GMC and Middletown needs to have Middie Magic back in some form.
At the town meeting, parents stressed that they wanted a coach that "looks like their kids and can relate to their kids." No mention of the "best or most qualified coach." No mention of building a program, or competitive team.

I don't know him personally, but I hear he's a good assistant. The same people that told me that, said they weren't sure how he would do as a head coach. There is a lot that goes into being the face of the program, besides play calling. It's also a long way from CHCA. Not just from a D5 t o D1, but a whole different culture. At a CHCA you pretty much just coach. At a Middletown, you take on a lot more of a parent role. Picking kids up and taking them home. Some times making sure they eat. And making sure they are eligible!

This job will be open again in the next couple years because the people in charge let parents dictate who gets hired!
Old 12-07-17, 11:23 AM
Freshman

Knights Watch is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=llthayes19;6937795]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
Head coach Eric Taylor recommended him to become the head coach.
When the Dillon Panthers 2x Texas State Champion coach recommends, you hire!
Old 12-07-17, 11:40 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Middletown picked a coach with no experience running a program to be the head coach of what they believe to be a big time division 1 head coaching job? A coach with no experience is stepping into a mess. This is a big head scratching hire in my mind and really puts the administration on a thin line after hiring Engleka-mess. That said I want to wish Coach Simpson luck and may you have more than 3 years to figure it out. Good luck to you.
Not to be funny guys, but if I'm a head coach with any experience. I know that the Middletown isn't a good job. My question as a head coach would be, what does Middletown have to offer me? From the stories I've heard, most of the kids are more interested in the streets. Also that most of the best athletes can stay eligible and most of all dealing with town and adminstration that has a false since of with the football program really is. Middletown used to be a big-time steel town. They still have AK Steel but it's not the same as it used to be. Kind of the same way Youngstown Ohio went downhill. No one's moving into Middletown because of the job market or the textiles. And also it's becoming more known for heroin addicts then student-athletes going to college. Trust me if I'm a head coach I don't want that job. However my friend Donnie Simpson is from Warren Ohio. Basically from the hood and grew up in the situation that he is now facing as a head coach in Middletown. Personally I think Middletown is a "Dead man walking" type of job. But he still young and ambitious with a plan that he believes that will turn their program around. I wish him well!

Old 12-07-17, 11:43 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa au Rum View Post
At the town meeting, parents stressed that they wanted a coach that "looks like their kids and can relate to their kids." No mention of the "best or most qualified coach." No mention of building a program, or competitive team.

I don't know him personally, but I hear he's a good assistant. The same people that told me that, said they weren't sure how he would do as a head coach. There is a lot that goes into being the face of the program, besides play calling. It's also a long way from CHCA. Not just from a D5 t o D1, but a whole different culture. At a CHCA you pretty much just coach. At a Middletown, you take on a lot more of a parent role. Picking kids up and taking them home. Some times making sure they eat. And making sure they are eligible!

This job will be open again in the next couple years because the people in charge let parents dictate who gets hired!
I agree on all points!

Old 12-07-17, 12:03 PM
All Region

FreeFromGreen is on a distinguished road
as a CHCA fan, I can let you know that Coach Simpson is A) first class and B) knows football and C) has put in his time to learn from some great coaches

I don't know much about Middletown program or the problems there, but Simpson will be a man of character to lead that program.
Old 12-07-17, 12:17 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFromGreen View Post
as a CHCA fan, I can let you know that Coach Simpson is A) first class and B) knows football and C) has put in his time to learn from some great coaches

I don't know much about Middletown program or the problems there, but Simpson will be a man of character to lead that program.

Besides Taylor, who else has he worked for that is a great coach?

As for knowing football. I hear he's never coached an offense position. I would think a head coaching candidate would know all 3 phases of the game as well as have a proven record of organization, been involved in fundraising and supervising people.
Old 12-07-17, 12:29 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Besides Taylor, who else has he worked for that is a great coach?

As for knowing football. I hear he's never coached an offense position. I would think a head coaching candidate would know all 3 phases of the game as well as have a proven record of organization, been involved in fundraising and supervising people.
Marvin Lewis was never an offensive or special teams coordinator...just saying!

Old 12-07-17, 12:53 PM
All District

Quote:
Marvin Lewis was never an offensive or special teams coordinator...just saying!

Not sure why I'm responding to this.

Exactly! And look how well he's done.

Lewis also had 20+ years as an assistant or DC. He was also the associate head coach at Washington. He also worked for Bill Cowher, Billick and Spurrier. All very successful head coaches. SUPER BOWL or NATIONAL CHAMPION coaches!

CHCA the best program Simpson been at and they never made it out the region! And that includes having an athlete recruited in, who now play for Alabama, like Prince!

You clownin cus!
Old 12-07-17, 01:00 PM
All District

natihsfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
At the town meeting, parents stressed that they wanted a coach that "looks like their kids and can relate to their kids."
Its too bad that is the criteria, lord knows there are examples of coaches who may fit this but have done great things for the kids and the community.
Old 12-07-17, 01:03 PM
Varsity

Quote:

Lewis also had 20+ years as an assistant or DC. He was also the associate head coach at Washington. He also worked for Bill Cowher, Billick and Spurrier. All very successful head coaches. SUPER BOWL or NATIONAL CHAMPION coaches!

CHCA the best program Simpson been at and they never made it out the region! And that includes having an athlete recruited in, who now play for Alabama, like Prince!

You clownin cus!
I guess my point was for a guy who's never coached High oh, coached the offensive side of the ball side of the ball and starting his career at Idaho state. And now holds one of the only 32 positions in the NFL apparently you don't need to have OC experience get a head coach job. And as far as the Prince kids he would have been a commodity on measurables alone even at Lockland High School.

Old 12-07-17, 02:11 PM
All Region

FreeFromGreen is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You clownin cus!
other than 2014...when CHCA won the region
Old 12-07-17, 02:21 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Old 12-07-17, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
"you clowin cus" LOL
Old 12-07-17, 03:17 PM
All District

Quote:
You right, you right. The year they squeked by #8 Waynesville. Won the region then got blown out by state champion Coldwater.
Old 12-07-17, 03:18 PM
All District

Quote:
I guess my point was for a guy who's never coached High oh, coached the offensive side of the ball side of the ball and starting his career at Idaho state. And now holds one of the only 32 positions in the NFL apparently you don't need to have OC experience get a head coach job. And as far as the Prince kids he would have been a commodity on measurables alone even at Lockland High School.

I can't even decipher this.

We can just revisit this thread in a few years and see.
Old 12-07-17, 03:31 PM
Varsity

Quote:
I can't even decipher this.

We can just revisit this thread in a few years and see.
I guess we can a few years later. But if he fails it won't be because doesn't know the game. Its a dead end job in my opinion anyway.

Old 12-07-17, 03:35 PM
All District

Quote:
I guess we can a few years later. But if he fails it won't be because doesn't know the game. Its a dead end job in my opinion anyway.

That we can agree on!
Old 12-07-17, 03:36 PM
Varsity

Quote:
That we can agree on!
My man!!

Old 12-07-17, 07:06 PM
All Ohio

firehawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't forget 2005 either. CHCA made it to the state championship game that year losing a shootout to Patrick Henry.
Old 12-07-17, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
You won't know what you got until after a couple of years. But why not be optimistic? When Grippa left Fairfield to coach LS we hired an unknown assistant coach with NO head coaching experience and there was some grumblings. But the unknown guy was Scott Datillo and he's done alright for himself. After Datillo left to coach Sycamore FF hired back to back guys with head coaching experience and it didn't work out so good as the Indians went 2 - 28 over those 3 years. The moral of the story is: give the guy a chance and his lack of head coaching experience may be the best thing for you guys. Only time will tell.
Old 12-07-17, 08:26 PM
All American

Muskie3
I say give the guy a chance. Maybe what we need is a new fresh mind in there. Just because you have been a head coach for 10 years doesnít make you a better coach, especially if you have been unsuccessful. Just means you have 10 years experience doing it wrong lol. Really,....what have we got to lose ? When you are at the bottom, you canít get any worse.
Old 12-07-17, 10:17 PM
GO MIDDIES

Quote:
Not to be funny guys, but if I'm a head coach with any experience. I know that the Middletown isn't a good job. My question as a head coach would be, what does Middletown have to offer me? From the stories I've heard, most of the kids are more interested in the streets. Also that most of the best athletes can stay eligible and most of all dealing with town and adminstration that has a false since of with the football program really is. Middletown used to be a big-time steel town. They still have AK Steel but it's not the same as it used to be. Kind of the same way Youngstown Ohio went downhill. No one's moving into Middletown because of the job market or the textiles. And also it's becoming more known for heroin addicts then student-athletes going to college. Trust me if I'm a head coach I don't want that job. However my friend Donnie Simpson is from Warren Ohio. Basically from the hood and grew up in the situation that he is now facing as a head coach in Middletown. Personally I think Middletown is a "Dead man walking" type of job. But he still young and ambitious with a plan that he believes that will turn their program around. I wish him well!

Hayes I agree with you. The administration has not have much luck in selecting a head football coach and I am hoping they decided to select a coach a 180 degrees from the priorities they were using in the past. I hope Coach Simpsonís
passion and his communication skills allow him to mold and motivate the young men to not only be successful on the field but also in life. GO MIDDIES
Old 12-07-17, 10:28 PM
GO MIDDIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie3 View Post
I say give the guy a chance. Maybe what we need is a new fresh mind in there. Just because you have been a head coach for 10 years doesnít make you a better coach, especially if you have been unsuccessful. Just means you have 10 years experience doing it wrong lol. Really,....what have we got to lose ? When you are at the bottom, you canít get any worse.

Muskie I could not have said it better. You are 100% right. I hope Coach Simpson is able to get some decent assistant coaches that can help him get on the right foot. I also hope he is given more time than with past because this carasuel of disaster needs to reverse its direction even if it is slow moving, but in the right direction.
Old 12-07-17, 10:30 PM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Knights Watch;6937972]
Quote:

When the Dillon Panthers 2x Texas State Champion coach recommends, you hire!

Amen!