Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-06-17, 12:52 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Baughman flooded with D-I football offers

Quote:
Winning Mr. Football has its privileges.

Joey Baughman spent the summer trying to turn heads at various camps and picked up a few nibbles, but since the Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association bestowed upon him the honor of being named the best football player in the state, the Wadsworth seniorís recruiting process has turned into an all-out feeding frenzy.

Once a Virginia pledge in wrestling, Baughman informed Cavaliers coach Steve Garland of his decommitment Monday and opened up his recruitment in football.
Read more:
http://www.medina-gazette.com/News/2...ll-offers.html
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-17, 07:16 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
That's awesome but it doesn't make any sense. A bunch of sportswriters rank a kid higher than actual scouts and coaches, and other coaches take action on that? Interesting. Good for the kid, though!
Old 12-06-17, 07:36 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Good for him but he was either on the radar or he wasn't by his Sr year. Hard to believe a state award would make much difference.
Old 12-06-17, 08:23 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I suspect he's getting attention as teams are realizing their not getting their first choice(s) rather than benefiting from the attention of Mr. Football.
Old 12-06-17, 09:27 AM
All Region

wads1107 is on a distinguished road
All the above
Joe was not on many D1 radars because of his size, and that his JR was his 1st year of playing quarterback, with slightly better than average numbers.

The publicity that came along with MR Football, along with the timing of the recruiting process ( not getting their 1st choice) increased curiosity. With Hudl and social media, I have heard that his highlight film has received over 1000 hits this past week. (obviously not all coaches). Coaches monitor social media all day everyday. With the eye popping numbers that he put up, why not watch 30 sec of a highlight film to see if there is interest.
Old 12-06-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
I think folks are overestimating how effective college recruiters are at finding talent at the QB position. I mean just off the top of my head didn't the Steelers Big Ben play at Miami of Ohio and that kid at Wyoming (Allen) who is projected as a top 10 NFL pick, had no major offers out of HS and even after tearing it up in Jr College and sending out lots of tape NO ONE but Wyoming bit. Of course we can also talk about that current NFL QB from SOUTH DAKOTA STATE tearing it up in the pros.

But hey, the camps are a great place to showcase your skill in touch football.
Old 12-06-17, 11:23 AM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I think folks are overestimating how effective college recruiters are at finding talent at the QB position. I mean just off the top of my head didn't the Steelers Big Ben play at Miami of Ohio and that kid at Wyoming (Allen) who is projected as a top 10 NFL pick, had no major offers out of HS and even after tearing it up in Jr College and sending out lots of tape NO ONE but Wyoming bit. Of course we can also talk about that current NFL QB from SOUTH DAKOTA STATE tearing it up in the pros.

As far as BB he only played QB his Sr yr cause the coaches son was QB before him.
And wasn't it nds?
All District

TimMast is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thought Wentz went to North?
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Good for Joey. Hate to lose him in wrestling tho.
Old 12-06-17, 11:26 AM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
It was North Dakota St., not South. Big Ben indeed only played one year as a H.S. QB.
Old 12-06-17, 12:37 PM
All District

pm12100 is on a distinguished road
Based on the article, it sounds like he's been flooded with interest (which is certainly well deserved) but not offers (though those are sure to come)

The recruiting process can be overwhelming (particularly after earning Mr. Football). I wish him luck.
Old 12-06-17, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMast View Post
Thought Wentz went to North?
Correct, my bad. But it doesn't change my point much! Bottom line is that colleges miss out on even elite QB talent for all sorts of reasons. I hope this kid lands at a decent school and tears it up as a QB.
Old 12-06-17, 01:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Big Ben indeed only played one year as a H.S. QB.
Kind of like what happened with this kid who first played QB as a jr according to a previous poster?
Old 12-06-17, 01:57 PM
All District

gyea36 is on a distinguished road
This feels like the kind of kid that would be playing at OSU if Tressel was still there. Good luck to him.
Old 12-06-17, 02:00 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
As far as BB he only played QB his Sr yr cause the coaches son was QB before him.
And wasn't it nds?
If I remember the story correctly Ben played WR his JR year because the COACH'S son was the QB. Unless the coaches son was Tom Brady or Peyton Manning I think that was a mistake.

Last edited by Irwin20; 12-06-17 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 02:19 PM
All District

Hazardous Whippet is an unknown quantity at this point
Ohio: Former Coach Looks Back at Big Ben
Old 12-06-17, 04:54 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Risky, trading in a UVA scholly for opportunities at the schools listed and I'm a fan of some of those.

Given he had that UVA offer, I suspect he's a pretty smart kid?
Old 12-06-17, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
How long ago did he commit to uva for wrestling?
Old 12-06-17, 07:42 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:

UH wrong, I would argue the pros miss on very few players in the draft. Uh for every 1 kid who is missed, 75 kids are spot on. Uh to much money is involved. Uh sounds good that pro teams overlook players, simply not true.
Old 12-06-17, 09:08 PM
All District

wrestlingdad3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Risky, trading in a UVA scholly for opportunities at the schools listed and I'm a fan of some of those.

Given he had that UVA offer, I suspect he's a pretty smart kid?
Football scholarships are a full 100% ride. Wrestling and baseball scholarships are typically divided up and can be as low as 20% I believe. Those sports typically try to find kids who qualify academically to get them more education scholarship money. Told by a friend whose son played baseball at IU on a scholarship and was a receiver on the football team also that there is a gigantic difference in a baseball/wrestling scholarship compared to a d1 football scholarship. Football scholarships cannot be divided up at all. Congratulations to Joey and he won't have to worry about cutting/maintaining weight.
Old 12-06-17, 09:31 PM
All Ohio

ohio9704 is on a distinguished road
Would make an excellent slot WR.
Old 12-06-17, 09:37 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
“Flooded with D-1 offers?” Air Force, Kent State, Rhode Island. He’s really being flooded with offers, look out.
Old 12-06-17, 09:59 PM
All District

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Interest from some schools is far from being flooded with offers. I hope he does get a decent offer, and I hope he made the right choice decomitting from UVA.
Old 12-06-17, 10:30 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Interest from some schools is far from being flooded with offers. I hope he does get a decent offer, and I hope he made the right choice decomitting from UVA.
This.

The often spoken "It doesn't matter what school you play for, if you are good enough, they will find you." seems not to apply to this young man as he didn't get notice until he won the Mr. Football award.
Old 12-06-17, 10:45 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
This.

The often spoken "It doesn't matter what school you play for, if you are good enough, they will find you." seems not to apply to this young man as he didn't get notice until he won the Mr. Football award.
But he was a wrestling commit first. That could have turned recruiters away knowing he was spoken for in another sport.
Old 12-06-17, 11:17 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
But he was a wrestling commit first. That could have turned recruiters away knowing he was spoken for in another sport.
Coaches in one sport really don't care if you are getting recruited for other sports. In fact it should make you more desirable as an athlete, unless of course you are telling those coaches that you aren't interested in their sport as a college option.
Old 12-07-17, 01:14 AM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
He was a lightly recruited football prospect prior to the fall season, where he lit it up on the field statistically.

Given the high DI interest in wrestling and only non-DI interest in football, the wrestling looked very attractive. Once interest from DI (whether I-A or I-AA) came into the fold, football is more attractive. If you're getting a football scholarship in I-A, it has to be a full; while I am speculating, I am going to be that UVA was only giving him a 25% ride athletically for wrestling.
Old 12-07-17, 02:20 AM
All District

If he went to "tons of camps and nobody even flinched" over the summer I would say its probably going to be tough to get a full ride now. 90% of recruiting today happens at camps, film is important but camps a key. If he went to these camps and came away with nothing that is telling. Something may come from the Elon visit but I am guessing that all the interest now will lead to preferred walk on offers. Coaches like to get people in that they can use, if they prove to be good then they will maybe earn a scholarship down the road. If not, no skin off the coaches teeth. Its a high risk option for the athlete. Maybe he should of held onto the UVA commitment until he knew for sure football was going to pan out. Wrestling regular signing day is in april I believe, after footballs. 25% is better than 0% after all.
Old 12-07-17, 02:53 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
UVA is no joke, I'd speculate the kid didn't get in just because of wrestling. I'd be guessing his family has intelligently measured out their chances at getting a full ride, somewhere, based upon contacts with COLLEGE coaches. My only question was the "where" and will he be able to get equivalent academic opportunity.
Old 12-07-17, 07:51 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
UVA is no joke, I'd speculate the kid didn't get in just because of wrestling. I'd be guessing his family has intelligently measured out their chances at getting a full ride, somewhere, based upon contacts with COLLEGE coaches. My only question was the "where" and will he be able to get equivalent academic opportunity.
UVA is also insanely expensive. As someone else in here already said, wrestling rarely (if ever?) gets full rides. Most get 20%-50%. At a school like UVA, even with 50% scholarship, you're paying upwards of $15k-$20k a year on out of state tuition + room + board. That doesn't even get into books, supplies, personal. Sure, you're graduating with a degree that says UVA on it. But you're also graduating with $50k+ debt after 4 years.