Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-04-17, 05:00 PM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
An Open Letter to Parents

I've contemplated writing this for several weeks, but something I read today on Yappi made me act on my thoughts.

As a former head football coach/teacher and parent I feel qualified to get on my soapbox and tell my feeling towards the current state of affairs in high school sports. It stinks!!!

The coaches you bash in person, behind their back, or while hiding behind a keyboard on Yappi is more often than not, a man who has just spent many, many hours coaching your son during the recent football season. He has sacrificed meals with his family; going to his kid's school events; spending time with his wife, etc., so he could coach a group of young men and hopefully make a difference in their lives. He was at the school until all hours of the night during the week attending meeting and watching videos. He was at the JV game on Saturday morning and more that likely in coach's meeting on Sunday. He stayed after practice assisting with weightlifting or talking to your son who may be dealing with a pregnant girlfriend and was too scared to talk to you about it. He attends clinics during the offseason (often at his own expense) to learn about offenses and defenses you would never understand, but openly criticize when things don't go YOUR way. He has BBQs for his staff and their families to create a better working relationship during the offseason. He acts like a father to a young man when his own Dad walks out of the house. He acts like a mother to young men when they decide things are too difficult in a marriage. He is every relative to these young men when they need him. He arranges tutor sessions with players because you are too busy at home to be bother with your kid's grades. He takes your phone calls at night to explain why Johnny is not starting on Friday night. He is professional and doesn't tell you it is because Johnny acts in practice like his Dad does at the games--knows it all and won't listen to the coaches.

Unless he is at a Div 1 high school, he also maybe the equipment manager, keeps records of physicals, and medical issues your son my have. He watches the grades of his varsity players and gets them tutoring when necessary. He drives kids home from practices and games because nobody will come and pick them up. He even takes them to his own home sometimes because Mom and Dad and fighting and nobody wants custody of him this weekend (actually happened). He often takes that call during the night when Johnny gets picked up by the police and he is too afraid to call home.

All of this and more!!! And yet every damn day I see a parent and/or player bashing a coach on this board. Why? Why can't you support the team and coaching staff--through good and bad? Have we as a society become so negative that coaches aren't allowed to make mistakes at the HS level. Most of these coaches have no desire to coach at Ohio State or be the next coach of the Giants. They want to coach at the local high school doing the best they can with what they have to work with. They want to take incoming freshman boys and watch them turn into Senior men who will be productive citizens. That is why they do it!! And as one coach told me recently, they do it for under .25 cents per hour. TWENTY FIVE CENTS!!! Thing about that next time you want to stand up in the stands on Friday night and bash somebody for calling a pass play that didn't work.

I don't coach anymore. I went into private business and later owned my own company. I have total respect for those who coach. They do more than you can ever imagine
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-17, 05:25 PM
All Region

Tigerfan65 is on a distinguished road
Complaining about coaches and play calling has been going on since football was invented. It isn’t like this is new, and it goes on at all levels, from flag to the NFL. It isn’t like a coach doesn’t think he will ever get criticized when he decides that’s his career path. I have respect for them but the criticizing and second guessing unfortunately goes right along with the job.
Old 12-04-17, 05:25 PM
Junior Varsity

VBHSFB04 is on a distinguished road
Fundraising as well. What a pain in the rear that is!!
Old 12-04-17, 05:42 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Comes with territory. If you don’t have thick skin, don’t coach. Coaches all the way down to the pee wee level get treated badly.
Old 12-04-17, 05:47 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
well said, Salesman.
Old 12-04-17, 07:21 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesman View Post
I've contemplated writing this for several weeks, but something I read today on Yappi made me act on my thoughts.

As a former head football coach/teacher and parent I feel qualified to get on my soapbox and tell my feeling towards the current state of affairs in high school sports. It stinks!!!

The coaches you bash in person, behind their back, or while hiding behind a keyboard on Yappi is more often than not, a man who has just spent many, many hours coaching your son during the recent football season. He has sacrificed meals with his family; going to his kid's school events; spending time with his wife, etc., so he could coach a group of young men and hopefully make a difference in their lives. He was at the school until all hours of the night during the week attending meeting and watching videos. He was at the JV game on Saturday morning and more that likely in coach's meeting on Sunday. He stayed after practice assisting with weightlifting or talking to your son who may be dealing with a pregnant girlfriend and was too scared to talk to you about it. He attends clinics during the offseason (often at his own expense) to learn about offenses and defenses you would never understand, but openly criticize when things don't go YOUR way. He has BBQs for his staff and their families to create a better working relationship during the offseason. He acts like a father to a young man when his own Dad walks out of the house. He acts like a mother to young men when they decide things are too difficult in a marriage. He is every relative to these young men when they need him. He arranges tutor sessions with players because you are too busy at home to be bother with your kid's grades. He takes your phone calls at night to explain why Johnny is not starting on Friday night. He is professional and doesn't tell you it is because Johnny acts in practice like his Dad does at the games--knows it all and won't listen to the coaches.

Unless he is at a Div 1 high school, he also maybe the equipment manager, keeps records of physicals, and medical issues your son my have. He watches the grades of his varsity players and gets them tutoring when necessary. He drives kids home from practices and games because nobody will come and pick them up. He even takes them to his own home sometimes because Mom and Dad and fighting and nobody wants custody of him this weekend (actually happened). He often takes that call during the night when Johnny gets picked up by the police and he is too afraid to call home.

All of this and more!!! And yet every damn day I see a parent and/or player bashing a coach on this board. Why? Why can't you support the team and coaching staff--through good and bad? Have we as a society become so negative that coaches aren't allowed to make mistakes at the HS level. Most of these coaches have no desire to coach at Ohio State or be the next coach of the Giants. They want to coach at the local high school doing the best they can with what they have to work with. They want to take incoming freshman boys and watch them turn into Senior men who will be productive citizens. That is why they do it!! And as one coach told me recently, they do it for under .25 cents per hour. TWENTY FIVE CENTS!!! Thing about that next time you want to stand up in the stands on Friday night and bash somebody for calling a pass play that didn't work.

I don't coach anymore. I went into private business and later owned my own company. I have total respect for those who coach. They do more than you can ever imagine
that my friend, is an EXCELLENT post....so true and may I add one more, to the parent that decides to send a letter to complain about things to the coach....SIGN YOU NAME.....

and to the parents that feel that you need to BASH the HC at the kitchen table with your sons....that will kill a program faster then anything...

call your coach and have a face to face meeting, you would be surprised how
Old 12-04-17, 09:31 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Well said.

Many people need a massive dose of perspective.
Old 12-05-17, 06:45 AM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Touchť~
Old 12-05-17, 07:18 AM
All District

superduper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Well said.

Many people need a massive dose of perspective.
And you need a massive dose of tailgating, you prude!
Old 12-05-17, 07:24 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
. Coaches all the way down to the pee wee level get treated badly.

........that was his point.

Last edited by AllSports12; 12-05-17 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-05-17, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
While this is a good post, and meant to keep perspective to those who are prone to openly criticize, a coach should also remember that people who complain publicly are usually of the lowest common denominator variety. And even the most even keel people can find themselves “slumming it” in the mud slinging. People who complain often never visualize themselves with the capability to lead, or, when faced with the option, would shrink back at the first whiff of conflict.

That’s where the old sticks and stones analogy needs to re-appear in our culture. Who gives a rip what people say? So to those coaching who cannot handle hurtful words, I’d say it may be time to change careers.
Old 12-05-17, 07:44 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
And open letter to coaches:

You ain't all Mother Teresas, Betty Crockers, Sally SocialWorkers, Abe Lincolns, and Vince Lombardis.

Some of the criticism is warranted.

That said, even a guy like Reno (who is perceived by people outside of Steubenville as the most horrible coach and person of all time in the world for some reason) is the most positive influence that many of those kids will ever have in their lives, and most coaches work hard to do the same. They deserve respect. Bashing by the parents & fans is out of control, and one judgment mistake on 4th at the 3 doesn't make Triv the biggest coaching moron in the world. Even just talking football, bleacher/couch/internet experts are incapable of leading a team to week 15.

Last edited by sapientia et veritas; 12-05-17 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Big difference between any and many
Old 12-05-17, 07:49 AM
Varsity

Mikefln is on a distinguished road
I can respect what you said, but can you also agree that there are bad coaches out there who make it about them and not about the kids? I had a great coach in HS, my nephew had a complete a coach. My nephew and many of his teammates suffered because of it on the field and in recruiting. Not all criticisms are unwarranted.

As far as the good coaches who still hear it, yeah it sucks but people are people and you will always have a few bad apples who are causing problems.

Last edited by Mikefln; 12-05-17 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 08:18 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
I never cared when I heard idiots in the bleachers yelling at me. I did care that my wife and kids had to listen to it. Shameful what some people think they can say.
Old 12-05-17, 08:40 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
And open letter to coaches:

You ain't all Mother Teresas, Betty Crockers, Sally SocialWorkers, Abe Lincolns, and Vince Lombardis.

Some of the criticism is warranted..
100% agree.

I have a simple, yet reasonable standard for coaches: Be committed, be prepared, and treat kids fairly. You do those 3, and you've lived up to your side of the social contract and I will keep my mouth shut. You violate any, and I reserve the right to chirp. Especially if I'm living to my end of the bargain by also being committed to support the program as a volunteer/booster, etc.
Old 12-05-17, 08:51 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Some coaches care more about winning..winning..and winning..and only winning. They do whatever they can to win games including bending rules.

Some coaches care about the kids and program. Doing it the right way.

Hereís a few things...

(1) You know what youíre getting yourself into

(2) You need to have a pair to coach

(3) I do feel bad for the coaches with a good hearts that get attacked

(4) People deserve the right to know if a coach is an idiot, administrators are morons, program cares more about wins than anything, or if the coach is a bad person that cares more about wins or losses. Thereís coaches out there who are amoral
Old 12-05-17, 08:55 AM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Coaches coach football because they want to do it and view it as a hobby, they know the time commitment, etc, etc. I am not condoning fan behavior and actually hate it, but majority of coaches I have coached and played with prefer to be at the office, field, weight room, etc than being at home.
Old 12-05-17, 09:08 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
I have a simple, yet reasonable standard for coaches: Be committed, be prepared, and treat kids fairly. You do those 3, and you've lived up to your side of the social contract and I will keep my mouth shut.
I assume you observe all practices, film sessions, etc. to make sure these three are happening?
Old 12-05-17, 10:18 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I assume you observe all practices, film sessions, etc. to make sure these three are happening?
Observing all practices is not necessary to adjudicate any of the 3.
Old 12-05-17, 11:39 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
At least high school coaches are getting paid for all they do. Try taking grief from parents when you are a volunteer little league coach getting nothing to teach their kids.
Old 12-05-17, 11:52 AM
All Region

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Observing all practices is not necessary to adjudicate any of the 3.
How would you know if a coach is being fair to a kid unless you are involved in the program? I've seen enough moms and dads complain that Jr. isn't getting a fair shake. Coach told Jr. "this" but but now "that" is happening. He's a senior and a freshman has taken his place! That's not fair! He put in his time and did everything the coach told him too! Blah, blah, blah!
Old 12-05-17, 12:16 PM
Varsity

Pigskin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
I never cared when I heard idiots in the bleachers yelling at me. I did care that my wife and kids had to listen to it. Shameful what some people think they can say.
100% agree.
Old 12-05-17, 12:44 PM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
My wife knew what could potentially happen and never said boo to anyone, one father confronted her and she actually knows more football than most former high school football players and shut down the dad in about 10 seconds before the A.D intervened!
Old 12-05-17, 01:31 PM
Junior Varsity

ohiofootballphan is on a distinguished road
Very well said!!!

One of my very best friends (a current HS HC) once told me the biggest difference between now and 20 years ago is that our Dad told us to go to practice and listen to the coach. Now days, parents just blame the coach. That really has stuck in mind for years.

Last edited by ohiofootballphan; 12-05-17 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-17, 01:37 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
You can't go through life worrying about what stupid people think or say, and you have to understand that there are a lot of stupid people.
Old 12-05-17, 02:04 PM
Varsity

Sheb Wooley is on a distinguished road
Wow, what a great post. As a former head coach, I experienced many of the things you mentioned and I actually had a tear in my eye as I was reading.

I think many of you are missing the point. I had no problem hearing the yelling from the stands. I expected it. It comes with the territory.

What doesn't come with the territory, are NAMELESS people going on social media and bashing people they probably don't even know. And if you don't think it matters, look at the Tennessee head coaching search.

I went through it last year with my own son. For the first time in his life, he wasn't a starter and he came home after every game extremely upset. I told him, "Keep working hard in practice and that's the best you can do. If you want to know how to get more time, ask your coach. He'll be honest."

Many life lessons can be taught at the dinner table. Adversity makes us all stronger. Excuses and blame make sissies of us all.
Old 12-05-17, 02:53 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
You can't go through life worrying about what stupid people think or say, and you have to understand that there are a lot of stupid people.
This is absolutely classic coming from you.
Old 12-05-17, 02:56 PM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Coaching is not an easy job. The administration can turn on you in minutes. Some of reasons are deserved, some are irrational hitting the panic button. The panic button can force you to do things you donít want to do like remove staff. It can sometimes completely destroy your relationship/friendship you had with someone in minutes.

Sometimes if you are forced to play a player because of a wealthy booster or if your assistants son is on the team, that can cause rifts and cause good coaches to leave. Some of those kids wouldnít start at the worst team in the county.

I will say this..Donít mess with Wakefield. What he did at STVM with a wealthy boosters kid is the definition of brass balls. Thatís why heís respected. He never gives in.

I like the coaches who let the best players play and donít give into politics. Thatís what we like to see.
Old 12-05-17, 03:27 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
I will say this..Donít mess with Wakefield. What he did at STVM with a wealthy boosters kid is the definition of brass balls. Thatís why heís respected. He never gives in.
My fave is when they lost that heartbreaker in the title game and on TV the announcers were talking about what a fairy tale season going from 0-10 to the state title game and gushing on and on and they pan the camera to the Perry team taking a knee and Coach Wakefield was just ripping them new b holes. That team had almost done the impossible, and he was peed off that they didn't. LOL
Old 12-05-17, 04:12 PM
Varsity

Mikefln is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
My fave is when they lost that heartbreaker in the title game and on TV the announcers were talking about what a fairy tale season going from 0-10 to the state title game and gushing on and on and they pan the camera to the Perry team taking a knee and Coach Wakefield was just ripping them new b holes. That team had almost done the impossible, and he was peed off that they didn't. LOL
My son is in 4th grade, but assuming if he was HS age and nothing was tying me to where I live (family/job) and I could live anywhere I wanted, from my vantage point I would live in Massillon Perry SD. Wakefield and Nate Carr are the 2 types of coaches I would want my son learning from. Their old school no nonsense approach is what more kids need. I had great coaches like them, (minus the success that Nate Carr had) who helped you grown as a person more than just growing as a football player/wrestler.

I feel bad for my nephew he played for a "Local Legend" that is 100% about him and not the kids. It went to his head and he lost it. The wrestling coach was just a teacher who wrestled in HS and they needed a warm body. The kids on these teams didn't have a chance.

To tie it back in to this thread, I will agree a coaches job is tough and we should not pick on coaches for bad game calls, but let's be honest and admit that there are bad coaches who do not make it about the kids.