Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-03-17, 07:09 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
The Steuby kid saying Canton treated them better is interesting? I wonder what the difference was?

I still think if you take a poll of HS football players (not parents, fans, AD's, coaches).....1 question

Would you rather play your state title game at:

A. The Horseshoe, home of The Ohio State Buckeyes

or

B. Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton

I've gotta think that A wins by a landslide. Maybe someone with access to HS football can get this done.
C. Univ. of Cincy Nippert Stadium just got $80 million upgrade. Seats 15,000+ lower bowl and another 15,000+ upper of needed. Parking, bars, restaurants, hotels, better weather, etc...
Old 12-03-17, 08:42 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post
C. Univ. of Cincy Nippert Stadium just got $80 million upgrade. Seats 15,000+ lower bowl and another 15,000+ upper of needed. Parking, bars, restaurants, hotels, better weather, etc...
And way more geographically isolated than Stark County.
Old 12-03-17, 09:31 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butler View Post
tom_hsfootball says that doesn’t matter
Old 12-03-17, 10:09 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Not people....I'm asking what the players would prefer. You can't tell me that the players (a lot of them who are playing their last football game ever) wouldn't love to have that game at the 'Shoe. I know what my son would have chosen....and every kid he knows. I'd have sat in the top row of C-deck if that's what it took to give them that opportunity.
Would the little leagers rather play in Yankee stadium or Williamsport? Visitors with no experience would probably say they'd rather go to Ohio Stadium for an Apple Butter Festival, than Grand Rapids. Go to Twinburg for a festival of Twins? fffft. Get married in a church or Ohio Stadium? Come on, thats a no brainer. Why is that museum still in Wapakoneta? How stupid, it would be much better attended in Olentangy.

You're asking players most of whom wouldn't have any experience with the event, let alone the staging. Yes, they're going to pick the famous venue. So would most likely the fans. But then, most teenagers and fans might not realize the value of an event over a visit.

Ask those same kids, play in Ohio Stadium or meet Urban Meyer,... in Canton. Betting decisions change?

Traditions are what hold together cultures. Not who can be richest and just buy them away.
Old 12-04-17, 06:18 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm curious. How far of a walk was it to parking? Since I'm the most impatient person in the world and I freaking hate lines I'm fairly certain I would have been walking to the car.
Old 12-04-17, 07:21 AM
All World

HTFF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butler View Post
Are you actually comparing Stark County to Cincinnati. Now that's funny. "Stark". Such an appropriate name
Old 12-04-17, 07:22 AM
All World

Rotate the games every 3 years. North Columbus and Cincinnati.
Old 12-04-17, 07:48 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Since I'm the most impatient person in the world and I freaking hate lines I'm fairly certain I would have been walking to the car.
More likely, you would have found a place to park in the residential area around the stadium....about two miles from Fairgrounds to the stadium.
Old 12-04-17, 08:09 AM
Junior Varsity

thedudeabides is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Didn't you hear? Everything was terrible with the shuttle
I rolled in Friday about 6:45. Parked right away. On a bus by 7:00, in the stadium looking for a seat by 7:30. Little longer line going back but it wasn't any longer than walking 10-15 minutes to a spot in a neighborhood like the last time I was up. I thought it went pretty well.

Last edited by thedudeabides; 12-04-17 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-04-17, 08:50 AM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
Now this is the correct answer. Would love to see that rotation. Nippert would be great Tom Benson sounds great, and then the central location the Shoe.
Old 12-04-17, 09:03 AM
All World

tom_hsfootball_fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
tom_hsfootball says that doesn’t matter
tom_hsfootball_fan said it doesn't matter in relation to attendance totals or to the players once the game starts. If you're going to quote someone, please be fair about it.
Old 12-04-17, 09:07 AM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What kind of bid packages has Cincinnati put together in the past? They've had chances, why weren't they selected before?
Old 12-04-17, 09:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_hsfootball_fan View Post
tom_hsfootball_fan said it doesn't matter in relation to attendance totals or to the players once the game starts. If you're going to quote someone, please be fair about it.
My apologies. But I need to ask... if attendance totals and the players' experiences will be the same, is there any reason why it couldn't/shouldn't be held in an extreme corner of the state?
Old 12-04-17, 09:17 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
What kind of bid packages has Cincinnati put together in the past? They've had chances, why weren't they selected before?
Why waste the time. It's obvious the fix is in for Stark county otherwise it would never be there
Old 12-04-17, 09:32 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
My apologies. But I need to ask... if attendance totals and the players' experiences will be the same, is there any reason why it couldn't/shouldn't be held in an extreme corner of the state?
Yes. All I am saying is attendance and player experience are NOT the right arguments.
Old 12-04-17, 09:34 AM
All World

Quote:
Why waste the time. It's obvious the fix is in for Stark county otherwise it would never be there
True. And that fix has three letters: N F L . Once the village is built out, there will be events, concerts and NFL celebrities dotting the entire weekend. It will be unmatchable. Ohio has a unique situation and a unique opportunity... and they should damn well accept it.
Old 12-04-17, 09:42 AM
All World

It's a high school event. I wouldn't walk across the street to see anything related to the NFL. And I would never go to Stark county but for the games
Old 12-04-17, 09:42 AM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And if Ohio Stadium had never put in grass it never would've left Columbus.
Old 12-04-17, 09:43 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
... there will be events, concerts and NFL celebrities dotting the entire weekend. It will be unmatchable.
We have gone to the finals for 22 years. I have no interest in any of that. If these mean that my tickets will be even more expensive we will stop going.

And I imagine that fans who go to support their sons/grandsons or their local school will not care about any of that either. They will not stay for the weekend to watch schools that they do not care about or for the chance to have their picture taken with an "NFL celebrity."
Old 12-04-17, 09:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
We have gone to the finals for 22 years. I have no interest in any of that. If these mean that my tickets will be even more expensive we will stop going.

And I imagine that fans who go to support their sons/grandsons or their local school will not care about any of that either. They will not stay for the weekend to watch schools that they do not care about or for the chance to have their picture taken with an "NFL celebrity."
Old 12-04-17, 09:58 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post

That's fine... come to the NFL HOF and then don't tour the museum. Many don't. But, if you think in 5-10 years this weekend is going to be solely about 7 football games, you're mistaken. Whether we like it (and I'm not sure I do either) or not is immaterial... it is going to happen.
Old 12-04-17, 10:05 AM
All American

Quote:
That's fine... come to the NFL HOF and then don't tour the museum. Many don't. But, if you think in 5-10 years this weekend is going to be solely about 7 football games, you're mistaken. Whether we like it (and I'm not sure I do either) or not is immaterial... it is going to happen.
I'd like to explore this a little more. Why is it going to happen? Is the OHSAA pushing it? The NFL? The Hall of Fame?

I've been to all 12 of my team's finals games. I'll stay overnight if we play early in the morning, but other than that I'm going up to tailgate when possible, see the game, greet the team, and then head home. I know I don't represent all fans, but probably 98% of our schools fans have the same agenda.

Are the powers that be trying to get more casual fans to attend? Do they think the only way to do that is to have a Hall of Famer shaking hands or a concert going on in the background?
Old 12-04-17, 10:08 AM
All World

Quote:
True. And that fix has three letters: N F L . Once the village is built out, there will be events, concerts and NFL celebrities dotting the entire weekend. It will be unmatchable. Ohio has a unique situation and a unique opportunity... and they should damn well accept it.
Maybe you should have gone with a more interesting attraction. The worlds largest ball of yarn. OR I know. Worlds largest yard gnome. Then you'd have something

It's Stark county. Brings to mind lipstick on a pig
Old 12-04-17, 10:16 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
It's a beautiful stadium, and the weekend went better than expected. But it's still located in the wrong part of the state. Since these are statewide championships and not regional ones, it needs to be held in a central location. Move it to Columbus and put it at a high school. And take it off TV. Get the big money out of the sport.
Old 12-04-17, 10:28 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But, if you think in 5-10 years this weekend is going to be solely about 7 football games, you're mistaken. Whether we like it (and I'm not sure I do either) or not is immaterial... it is going to happen.
No it isn't. There are tens of thousands of people who come to the state finals to see their family member or local/community school play. Somewhere there is a marketing "guru" that is trying to induce these people to stay in Stark county for the weekend and spend their hard earned money on "events, concerts, and NFL celebrities." It is NOT going to happen.

I understand that some people would like that to happen so that they can make money off it, but it will not happen. People that attend the state finals are not, and will not be, motivated by "marketing." People who believe otherwise are fools. They may be high priced experts with college degrees, but none of that precludes foolishness.
Old 12-04-17, 10:43 AM
Junior Varsity

Lakindo is on a distinguished road
The stadium is great but our experience outside of the game was awful. From parking in a cow field to waiting ungodly amounts of time for the shuttle, walking 1/4 mile downhill to wait in another line coming uphill. Went to the concession stand behind the visitors side to get a drink at the end of the 1st quarter and didn't get back to my seat until 7 minutes were left in the second quarter.

Leaving, we waited in a horrible line while the Canton cop and two other officials let a group of 30 fans skip the line then made us stop and wait when we got to the front. When I complained the Canton cop told me if I kept complaining he was going to send me to the back of the line. Like I was a second grader getting punished in the line for the swings. Then stumbling around the muddy cowfield again looking for our car. There was not one part of the process that was efficient.

And, as a side note, when we first parked, we were next to some Massie jerk in a POS van he bought at some 'Buy Here Pay Here' lot that opened his door and kept my wife from getting out of the car. When I asked him nicely, he ignored me. When I asked again (not so nicely) he walks up to me, unlit cigarette hanging out of his mouth and MF's me. Homeboy was ready to fight in the parking lot.

If Big Red makes it back next year, I will still go but I wasn't the slightest bit impressed with anything the OHSAA offered
Old 12-04-17, 10:53 AM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Stark County. They are more invested and motivated to do the best job. I live in Central Ohio and I’d rather make the drive than have the games in the Shoe. Any negative issues in Canton can be attributed to a simply unfinished product. If there is a criticism it would be they jumped the gun. I think Tom HS is correct, that once the NFL buys in and sees a marketing opportunity Championship weekend will be unequaled in HS Championship weekends. The facility it self gets an A+ grade. Also, I would have no problem, working PBTS back into the equation.....they did a nice job with the split venue approach. Like it to not, PBTS provides an intimacy that is hard to duplicate.
Old 12-04-17, 10:59 AM
All American

Quote:
But, if you think in 5-10 years this weekend is going to be solely about 7 football games, you're mistaken. Whether we like it (and I'm not sure I do either) or not is immaterial... it is going to happen.
Maybe once since there's probably no limit to how much the city is willing to piss away on bad ideas. The idea of expensive distractions drawing more tourists to a frozen hellhole in the first week of December is absurd. And very few village idiots going to the game are going to stay in the gold-plated hotel when there are more affordable options down off Everhard and elsewhere.
Old 12-04-17, 11:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
From Joe Scalzo in The Repository
Went well with the great article on some leather helmets:
http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2017...kely-champions
Old 12-04-17, 12:14 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
It's a beautiful stadium, and the weekend went better than expected. But it's still located in the wrong part of the state. Since these are statewide championships and not regional ones, it needs to be held in a central location. Move it to Columbus and put it at a high school. And take it off TV. Get the big money out of the sport.

Yeah, taking it off TV would go over REALLY well with fans. It would get turned into “a money grab by OHSAA to increase ticket revenue. See, they do t care about the fans.” It doesn’t matter what OHSAA does, people complain.