Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-03-17, 07:36 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Canton, Benson draw high praise for hosting games

From Joe Scalzo in The Repository:

"It's a great place to come. It's the birthplace of football. This stadium is first class. The way everything is done and stuff, we really enjoyed coming here." - Pickerington Central Coach Jay Sharrett

"A record 13 of 14 state finalists were public schools which tend to bring bigger crowds becuase they are more likely to draw from the entire community" - J.S.

"It's a beautiful stadium already and it's not even finished yet. This is a great facility" - Reno Saccocia

"Canton treats us better than Columbus." - Big Red senior Gino Pierro, who has played at both locations

"Things have gone very well. I think all of us were cautiously optimistic that things would come together, and they did. " - OHSAA spokesman Tim Stried

"Those are two things we will need to look at for next time (referring to ticket lines and parking). But anytime you have an event where 8000 people are arriving at the same time there is going to be an issue. We had the same issues at Ohio State.That's important to note. That is not a knock on Canton. And we've already talked about ways to improve that moving forward. I think the thing we've identified this weekend is that Canton and Columbus are the two premier sites to host a state championship game" - Stried

"This is the mecca of high school football, period. I just feel great that when we won it, we won it in Canton. Why they took it out of Canton, I'll never know " - Saccocia
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-17, 09:16 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post

"It's a great place to come. It's the birthplace of football. This stadium is first class. The way everything is done and stuff, we really enjoyed coming here." - Pickerington Central Coach Jay Sharrett

"A record 13 of 14 state finalists were public schools which tend to bring bigger crowds becuase they are more likely to draw from the entire community" - J.S.

"It's a beautiful stadium already and it's not even finished yet. This is a great facility" - Reno Saccocia

"Canton treats us better than Columbus." - Big Red senior Gino Pierro, who has played at both locations

"Things have gone very well. I think all of us were cautiously optimistic that things would come together, and they did. " - OHSAA spokesman Tim Stried

"Those are two things we will need to look at for next time (referring to ticket lines and parking). But anytime you have an event where 8000 people are arriving at the same time there is going to be an issue. We had the same issues at Ohio State.That's important to note. That is not a knock on Canton. And we've already talked about ways to improve that moving forward. I think the thing we've identified this weekend is that Canton and Columbus are the two premier sites to host a state championship game" - Stried

"This is the mecca of high school football, period. I just feel great that when we won it, we won it in Canton. Why they took it out of Canton, I'll never know " - Saccocia
Stadium is GREAT.....outside the Stadium is NOT-----THIS YEAR....

so what do you do for Ohsaa?
Old 12-03-17, 09:19 AM
All World

Quote:

Saccocia----62 miles of driving...VS 151 miles of driving.....LOL
Old 12-03-17, 09:23 AM
All District

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Ohio Stadium without the Buckeyes is a giant empty shell of a mausoleum. High school games held there have no atmosphere and the hs fans and teams are treated like country bumpkins there.

When completed, Benson will not have parking issues and will be a superior site to OSU for high school finals. Should they have waited for completion? Idk but maybe they should have. The parking @ the Fairgrounds wasn't a good look for a cameo.
Old 12-03-17, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Assuming the parking issues are dealt with, I'd have zero issue with making Benson the permanent site for the games.
Old 12-03-17, 10:54 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
The Steuby kid saying Canton treated them better is interesting? I wonder what the difference was?

I still think if you take a poll of HS football players (not parents, fans, AD's, coaches).....1 question

Would you rather play your state title game at:

A. The Horseshoe, home of The Ohio State Buckeyes

or

B. Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton

I've gotta think that A wins by a landslide. Maybe someone with access to HS football can get this done.
Old 12-03-17, 11:05 AM
All American

Quest4Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
The Steuby kid saying Canton treated them better is interesting? I wonder what the difference was?

I still think if you take a poll of HS football players (not parents, fans, AD's, coaches).....1 question

or

I've gotta think that A wins by a landslide. Maybe someone with access to HS football can get this done.
Idk, I think people would pick Tom Benson if it's based on Stadium alone because you are close to the action and it gives the playoff experience.
Old 12-03-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I'm sure it was fine, but I don't recall anyone ever saying (especially winners) "this place sucked" on their way out of the state championships. Certainly, OHSAA would never give any indication that it made a bad choice.
Old 12-03-17, 11:27 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest4Gold View Post
Idk, I think people would pick Tom Benson if it's based on Stadium alone because you are close to the action and it gives the playoff experience.
Not people....I'm asking what the players would prefer. You can't tell me that the players (a lot of them who are playing their last football game ever) wouldn't love to have that game at the 'Shoe. I know what my son would have chosen....and every kid he knows. I'd have sat in the top row of C-deck if that's what it took to give them that opportunity.
Old 12-03-17, 11:29 AM
All World

get the parking corrected .....a place for Parents to meet the players after the game.....Music in pregame...... great place to play, love the stadium, love how close you are to the field.....
Old 12-03-17, 11:35 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Can't place a lot of stock in an article praising a Canton game site that is full of cherry-picked quotes and that appeared in a Canton newspaper.

Go civic pride!!, but this is "C'mon, man!" territory here
Old 12-03-17, 11:38 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"It's the birthplace of football." - Pickerington Central Coach Jay Sharrett
Hope the coach is not a history teacher.

Last edited by queencitybuckeye; 12-03-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 11:50 AM
All Ohio

Reddengineer is on a distinguished road
We had little issue with parking at the fairground. Maybe had a fifteen minute wait for shuttle after the game. Amazing considering we were 10,000 leaving at one time. Poor design on their concession stands though. They do not have enough room to work, slowed things down greatly. Great restroom facilities on visitor side. I think C-bus kind of looks down it's nose at HS football in the shoe. They're used to 100,000 in a day, not our measly 50k over 3 days. Just not the event for them it is for Canton area, and it shows in attitude.
Old 12-03-17, 11:51 AM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=queencitybuckeye;6934165]
Quote:

You mean the coach of the state champions? He wins.
Old 12-03-17, 12:03 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
From what I heard, the shuttle service / parking was plain stupid and everything through the gates was great. Great value too.
Old 12-03-17, 12:07 PM
All Region

valuska is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
From what I heard, the shuttle service / parking was plain stupid and everything through the gates was great. Great value too.
Had no problem with shuttle service. Was faster for me than the 30 minute walk to my car in Columbus last year on frozen feet. I preferred a warm bus ride to my car.
Old 12-03-17, 12:19 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Went on Saturday and had absolutely no issue with the shuttle. Both there and back the experience was more than adequate with the shuttle
Old 12-03-17, 12:58 PM
All World

Quote:
did you go to the games?
Old 12-03-17, 01:08 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=queencitybuckeye;6934165]
Quote:

He was partially correct...The birthplace of Pro Football
Old 12-03-17, 03:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Went on Saturday and had absolutely no issue with the shuttle. Both there and back the experience was more than adequate with the shuttle
Didn't you hear? Everything was terrible with the shuttle
Old 12-03-17, 03:16 PM
All World

tom_hsfootball_fan is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post

or

aak them when theyre holding either trophy and the answer will be DOES NOT MATTER.
Old 12-03-17, 03:47 PM
All Yappi

Maxie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
[QUOTE=Bluestreakoffice;6934291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post

He was partially correct...The birthplace of Pro Football

Actually, the birthplace of the NFL.
Old 12-03-17, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Maxie;6934474]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post

Actually, the birthplace of the NFL.
Yep, pro football started in PA 25 years before the NFL was founded.
Old 12-03-17, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

longtime1sttime
Due to the ongoing construction, a few minor problems were expected. Solutions were adequately conveyed in a timely fashion prior to the games. only temporary. Other than that, I heard only positive reviews (from fans from Hoban, Wheelersburg and Steubenville). Great job Stark County!
Old 12-03-17, 04:32 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Sounds like the shuttle was better on Saturday than on Friday. See, they learned and adjusted quickly. I'd expect a return to Canton, probably in 2018
Old 12-03-17, 05:03 PM
All Ohio

I forgot something. I do have to say I was surprised with the stadium seats on the whole visitor side. That was so much better than the frozen aluminium at OSU visitor side, and wider than the wedges on OSU home side. Thought they might have had a bit of a steeper incline on visitor side, but was not too bad.
Old 12-03-17, 05:08 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
They didnt go steeper because they wanted the HOF dome to be visible from the stadium.
Old 12-03-17, 06:05 PM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sounds like the shuttle was better on Saturday than on Friday. See, they learned and adjusted quickly. I'd expect a return to Canton, probably in 2018
I know several 80 some year old fans who were not thrilled with walking all the way around the stadium from the gate the had to use to the shuttle location. Hopefully that gets changed.
Old 12-03-17, 06:06 PM
All American

Great weekend for Canton, Stark and some Beldon/Canton area businesses too!
Old 12-03-17, 06:34 PM
All District

Milbarge
Quote:
Didn't you hear? Everything was terrible with the shuttle
Friday night shuttle was fine going to the game. Afterward was a different story. No signs or communication. Many people just walked right past the incredibly obvious line and no staff said anything. I will say that getting out of the parking area was easy because everyone else was waiting for the next shuttle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk