Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-01-17, 10:26 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Shake up to the OCC

http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...-of-new-league

Logan, Canal Winchester, Groveport, Lancaster, Newark, Reynoldsburg, Mount Vernon, Teays Valley and Zanesville in talks.

Would solve a problem for Logan and Zanesville.

Reynoldsburg doesn't seem to belong given the size of the district.

Mount Vernon complained about driving to Hilliard and now they are talking about driving to Logan ?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-17, 10:50 AM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Interesting. Kinda of ironic that is the schools struggling mightily in the OCC are looking to form a new league. Lately Zanesville has struggled big time. And I agree that Reynoldsburg as a large D1 school doesn’t belong.....but again, they have had a tough time of it in the OCC
Old 12-01-17, 11:01 AM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
As a Lancaster fan I have enjoyed the OCC and don’t really desire a split.

That being said, I have thought for years that a Lancaster, Logan, canal, groveport conference made a lot of sense. All schools located right off of 33. The AD’s would see a improvement in ticket sales and I think would develop some great rivalries. Teays valley is right there regionally as well.

Lancaster/Newark May be the oldest rivalry in Central Ohio football (been playing for over 100 years. Newark/Zanesville is right there too. These three schools weee part of the Buckeye Central conference (1980’s and 90’s) and before that the COL. so a lot of good history there.

Reynolsburg is a ?. Most sports I feel would be pretty competitive with the above listed teams (except Lancaster Boys basketball. Everyone beats us these days).

Mt Vernon would be great regionally for Newark and Zanesville, Reynoldsburg wouldn’t be a bad drive. Lancaster, Logan, and Teays valley would be a haul.

This new conference would be a good thing in the long run for all the schools listed in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-17, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
The big issue with Columbus is the schools sizes seem to be changing a fair amount still, and more schools are being added.

How about something like this for the bigger schools in the main Columbus area

Central Crossing
Grove City
Westland
Franklin Heights
Canal Winchester
Bradley
Darby
Davidson

Westerville South
Westerville Central
Westerville North
Thomas Worthington
Kilbourne
New Albany
Gahanna
Upper Arlington

Reynoldsburg
Newark
Watkins
Licking Heights
PN
PC
Lancaster
Groveport

Liberty
Orange
Hayes
Marysville
Coffman
Jerome
Scioto
Berlin
Big Walnut
Old 12-01-17, 11:48 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Not to nitpick, would it make sense to swap UA and Canal?
Old 12-01-17, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Not to nitpick, would it make sense to swap UA and Canal?
Not really, UA is closer to those schools. If anything I would move Canal with Pickerington and those schools, but trying to keep the numbers close, they kinda got lost in my shuffle.
Old 12-01-17, 11:54 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
I'm not surprised by this. However, I've always thought this would happen on the north side of the Columbus metro area with Mount Vernon, Marion Harding, Delaware, Mansfield Senior, Big Walnut, and whatever other schools they could get to go along with something over there.

Last edited by FormerWildcat; 12-01-17 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-01-17, 12:19 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin17 View Post
Not really, UA is closer to those schools.
UA is closer to which schools? UA is closer to Hilliard Davidson than any of the others.
Old 12-01-17, 12:20 PM
All Region

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Newark's AD doesn't want to leave the OCC. He's also the basketball coach and that is the only sport where they are competitive.
Old 12-01-17, 12:30 PM
All Region

Here is a interesting look at these schools per OHSAA enrollment numbers (grades 9-11)

Reynoldsburg-1667
Lancaster -1372
Groveport- 1278
Newark- 1220
Logan- 999
Mt Vernon- 937
Teays Valley- 922
C. Winchester- 908
Zanesville- 644

The top 4 teams are all double the size of Zanesville.

Would this be a good conference for the Blue devils? And in football would it hurt the lager schools in the form of computer points to have Zanesville on their schedule every year?

Old 12-01-17, 01:09 PM
Yappi Supporter

The story has been updated to say that Mount Vernon did not participate in the meeting.
Old 12-01-17, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
UA is closer to which schools? UA is closer to Hilliard Davidson than any of the others.
Thomas Worthington to Upper Arlington is 7.8

UA- Davidson is 8, its a wash. There is really no perfect alignment in Columbus
Old 12-01-17, 01:11 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Will the 2018 OCC football divisions be the same, with Olentangy Berlin added to Buckeye division?
Old 12-01-17, 01:24 PM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Will the 2018 OCC football divisions be the same, with Olentangy Berlin added to Buckeye division?
Correct.
Old 12-01-17, 05:32 PM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The story has been updated to say that Mount Vernon did not participate in the meeting.
Updated again....Newark did not attend the "meeting" as well.
Old 12-01-17, 06:26 PM
All District

Purple66 is on a distinguished road
Lancaster and Reynoldsburg too big for the rest.
Old 12-02-17, 07:57 AM
Freshman

lancaster90 is on a distinguished road
This proposed league makes sense in a lot of ways. These schools mentioned all play each other in mutiple sports both in and out of their division. Talk has been that the multi-school districts have a lot more say at meetings than the single school districts. I know from talking to people that several schools currently are not happy with things in the OCC as they currently stand which is why MT. Vernon left a couple of years ago. I have also heard that three other schools are listening to offers from another conference as well. I am not sure if this will happen but if these schools would leave lets hope it would be for the best for everyone. We will probably hear more soon.
Old 12-02-17, 08:57 AM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvhsmgr View Post
Updated again....Newark did not attend the "meeting" as well.
Guessing Mt. Vernon and Newark invited and were on the " leak" list and they decided not to attend.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-17, 10:16 AM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin17 View Post
The big issue with Columbus is the schools sizes seem to be changing a fair amount still, and more schools are being added.

How about something like this for the bigger schools in the main Columbus area

Central Crossing
Grove City
Westland
Franklin Heights
Canal Winchester
Bradley
Darby
Davidson
For starters... This wouldn't happen. Terrible fit for Franklin Heights. Bad fit for Westland and Canal. The three Hilliard schools would probably dominate from the standpoint of the overall athletic department, although Grove City would do alright.
Old 12-02-17, 10:20 AM
All World

I had liked this arrangement, but looks like the OCC could split up....

OCC needs to make sure Davidson and Coffman are always in the same division. I'd say the same for Scioto-Kilbourne, Darby-Bradley and a few others. When Olentangy Berlin opens in 2018, I'd like to see this alignment.

Buckeye
Delaware Hayes
Olentangy
Olentangy Berlin
Olentangy Liberty
Olentangy Orange
Westerville Central
Westerville North
Westerville South

Central
Dublin Coffman
Dublin Jerome (enrollment growing)
Hilliard Bradley
Hilliard Darby
Hilliard Davidson
Marysville
Thomas Worthington
Upper Arlington

Ohio
Central Crossing (put in with Grove City)
Gahanna
Grove City
Lancaster
New Albany (enrollment growing, too strong for Capital Division)
Pickerington Central
Pickerington North
Reynoldsburg

Capital
Big Walnut
Canal Winchester
Dublin Scioto (one of the smaller OCC schools, pair them w/ Kilbourne)
Franklin Heights
Groveport
Newark
Westland
Worthington Kilbourne (one of smaller OCC schools, pair them w/ Scioto)
Old 12-03-17, 11:41 AM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancaster90 View Post
I know from talking to people that several schools currently are not happy with things in the OCC as they currently stand which is why MT. Vernon left a couple of years ago.
I think Mount Vernon is a pretty special case. When they were originally a founding member of the OCC, they were very much like the rest of other schools around Columbus, because the "Columbus boom" hadn't happened yet.

Now, everyone around I-270 has grown tremendously over the last 30 years, but Mount Vernon has not. So, at that point, they were very different than everyone else.

While I can see why the single high school districts do not like the situation in terms of voting strength, as long as their communities are growing somewhat, they don't have much to worry about. Now, if you're in a school district where your enrollment is stagnant, or perhaps even declining, you probably ought to be worried about your ability to compete, and I can see why you'd be looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

However, the growth around Columbus can't continue forever, and there has to be a limit of how far out it can realistically go. I'm guessing Olentangy bringing Berlin High School online next year is going to be the last brand new school for a while.

Last edited by FormerWildcat; 12-03-17 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 12:13 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Looks like Berlin is not in the Buckeye. Anyone know if they are in Cardinal and if any other teams shuffled?
Old 12-03-17, 04:10 PM
Varsity

Union County Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Looks like Berlin is not in the Buckeye. Anyone know if they are in Cardinal and if any other teams shuffled?
Berlin will join the Cardinal Division to make it four divisions with six teams each and one division with eight teams.
Old 12-03-17, 05:28 PM
All World

Quote:
However, the growth around Columbus can't continue forever, and there has to be a limit of how far out it can realistically go. I'm guessing Olentangy bringing Berlin High School online next year is going to be the last brand new school for a while.
I'd agree. Both Dublin and Hilliard have opted to do learning centers that exist outside of their three traditional high schools, that afford students additional learning opportunities. This is in addition to their (Dublin/Hilliard) participation in Tolles Tech. Neither Dublin nor Hilliard see a 4th high school on the horizon anytime soon.

I could possibly see Pickerington adding a third, if their enrollment warrants it. Other than that, I'd say the boom in new high schools is drawing to a close in Central Ohio... at least for now.
Old 12-03-17, 06:15 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union County Fan View Post
Berlin will join the Cardinal Division to make it four divisions with six teams each and one division with eight teams.
Correct. They are going to the Cardinal to fill the void left by amount Vernon, thereby avoiding another reshuffle.
Old 12-04-17, 07:37 AM
Junior Varsity

BT17 is on a distinguished road
I've said for years that Lancaster should be in a league with Canal, Groveport, Logan, Teays Valley, and Newark.

Mt. Vernon would be a haul and Zanesville has significantly smaller enrollment. Otherwise, I like where this is going!
Old 12-05-17, 05:47 PM
All Region

Interesting article today in the Lancaster Eagle Gazette

Check out this article from Lancaster Eagle-Gazette:

Should Lancaster leave the OCC and join a new league?

http://ohne.ws/2AZ16Hr

Old 12-05-17, 10:23 PM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
He says Lancaster won a co-championship in football within the past 5 years... they did??? How’d I miss that?

On one hand this seems like tuck tail and run. On the other hand Lancaster, Newark, Zanesville, and Mt Vernon are similar communities and would fit well together. Heck Logan, Athens, and Marietta (maybe Cambridge) would fit too... but that would cause some long trips.

The original conference discussed above would be very weak in football. Lancaster or Reynoldsburg would win every year and probably qualify for the playoffs where they’d get smoked because they weren’t prepared to play D1 opponents after a weak conference schedule. But....it would be a really good basketball conference.

Last edited by Walt; 12-05-17 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 10:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
He says Lancaster won a co-championship in football within the past 5 years... they did??? How’d I miss that?

On one hand this seems like tuck tail and run. On the other hand Lancaster, Newark, Zanesville, and Mt Vernon are similar communities and would fit well together. Heck Logan, Athens, and Marietta (maybe Cambridge) would fit too... but that would cause some long trips.

The originally conference discussed above would be very weak in football. Lancaster or Reynoldsburg would win every year and probably qualify for the playoffs where they’d get smoked because they weren’t prepared to play D1 opponents after a weak conference schedule. But....it would be a really good basketball conference.

Lancaster hasn’t had a piece of a football title since 2009.

He may be thinking of the 2015 season when Lancaster finished 8-2 in the regular season and beat Central. But Lancaster’s two losses were in back to back weeks against Gahanna and Reynoldsburg and Centrals 2nd loss was to a non conference team.

Old 12-06-17, 09:20 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

The original conference discussed above would be very weak in football. Lancaster or Reynoldsburg would win every year and probably qualify for the playoffs where they’d get smoked because they weren’t prepared to play D1 opponents after a weak conference schedule. But....it would be a really good basketball conference.
Doubt Cambridge would be interested in traveling 1 1/2 hours to Logan and Athens for anything on a consistent basis. There has been talk for years about Dover, New Phila, Zville, and Marietta leaving the ECOL because of the 1 1/2 hour travel from Dover/NP to Mareitta. Marietta is on an island regarding ECOL and they should have never left their previous league.