Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-29-17, 02:33 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Today View Post
It seems funny that people complain about $15 for a State game, but to pay $100 or so for a Buckeyes game for half a seat seems about right???

I am assuming no one is willing to pay for a Bengals or Browns ticket at this point.
I would have to think that you probably could have gotten into the stadium last Sunday for Browns/Bengals for less than $15 if you wanted to

.....and if you are interested in seeing the Ravens/Browns game, you can go and get change for a $10 bill

https://www.stubhub.com/cleveland-br...sort=price+asc
Old 11-29-17, 02:35 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
how about let's calculate the actual cost of playing the games, and charge accordingly.

this would include all expenses incurred by each school system, including medical care for players injured at all levels of play, all utilities for all workouts, practices, meetings, scrimmages, 7 on 7s etc... ALL costs for ALL school systems who field a team in Ohio. (all teams are eligible for the tournament after all and you have to have the losers so the winners have someone to play)

how much would a ticket cost if we did that?
Dunno, would it reduce the $10K that I involuntarily donate to Pickerington every year? If so, I'm all for it. My local private is already self-sufficient for expenses.
Old 11-29-17, 02:52 PM
All District

BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Dunno, would it reduce the $10K that I involuntarily donate to Pickerington every year? If so, I'm all for it. My local private is already self-sufficient for expenses.
excellent question.

the problem is that if it was done, nobody could afford the ticket.

right?

your local private may be self sufficient for expenses but it is not paid for by the gate.
Old 11-29-17, 02:57 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
this would include all expenses incurred by each school system, including medical care for players injured at all levels of play, all utilities for all workouts, practices, meetings, scrimmages, 7 on 7s etc... ALL costs for ALL school systems who field a team in Ohio.
I don't know of any school that provides medical care for players injured. Do you?
Old 11-29-17, 03:01 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
... If 6500 - 14,000 is the most that can ever be expected then just use the same venues as the semifinals.
This. Why go to special venues and have remote parking and any and all other restrictions and limitations, if the games don't draw anymore than can be expected to possibly fill a place like Byers Field or Arlin?

I get that it's an experience for the kids to play in the Shoe and maybe it's one to play in a brand new quasi-NFL stadium (Benson), but the point of the game is to decide the State Title. That would make it special enough for me no matter where they played it.

Why not play the games at the most appropriate sized neutral site that can be found roughly halfway between the competing schools?

Or, play them all in the Columbus area, but not necessarily at the Shoe.

================================================== ===

As for price.... well, it depends. If I had a child or relative participating, I'd probably be willing to really pay up for a possible once in a lifetime experience. Absent that, it would depend on weather, distance, TV availability, parking conditions and ease, concessions, seating type, was a team I had an interest in playing.... a million factors.

All those non relative / offspring factors would tend to keep my ceiling pretty low, maybe the price of a movie ticket or so unless I am opting for a suite or a luxury box at some stadium that has that option.

Last edited by Cali_Eagle; 11-29-17 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 03:06 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I don't know of any school that provides medical care for players injured. Do you?
Ah. So the schools wash their hands of it? Interesting.

"Cost transferrence" ???
Old 11-29-17, 03:11 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ah. So the schools wash their hands of it? Interesting.

"Cost transferrence" ???
Most kids are covered by a parent's insurance.
Old 11-29-17, 03:14 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
Or, play them all in the Columbus area, but not necessarily at the Shoe.
If the tickets are $15, why play it at a smaller field....just play it at the Shoe. You can't tell me there is ONE high school football player anywhere in the state who would honestly say "I'd rather we play our State Championship game at Benson because the 'Shoe is too big".....sorry, but that's just not going to happen. I don't care if a kid is an Ohio State fan, a Michigan fan or a fan of Northwest Hawaii A & M.....I guarantee you that if kids are asked, the Shoe will get 100% of the votes
Old 11-29-17, 03:17 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Most kids are covered by a parent's insurance.
right so the cost is transferred to the parent's healthcare insurance.

and the cost of health care insurance is not an issue.
Old 11-29-17, 03:24 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
If the tickets are $15, why play it at a smaller field....just play it at the Shoe. You can't tell me there is ONE high school football player anywhere in the state who would honestly say "I'd rather we play our State Championship game at Benson because the 'Shoe is too big".....sorry, but that's just not going to happen. I don't care if a kid is an Ohio State fan, a Michigan fan or a fan of Northwest Hawaii A & M.....I guarantee you that if kids are asked, the Shoe will get 100% of the votes
I said "Columbus" because it's centrally located. If OHSAA can get the Shoe and keep the ticket costs low ($15 feels low to me for a State Title game) that's fine. I'm sure the kids would all like to play there, whether they root for the Bucks or Old Siwash Tech.

I suggested playing them at fields like Byers or Arlin because based on last years attendance, and the way attendance seems to be trending, you don't NEED to get a place like the Shoe unless you are getting a rate & being offered a deal.

Being fair to the competing teams I think finding an appropriately sized stadium as close to halfway between them seems to be the way to go. It doesn't seem like anyone needs to worry about a sudden flash crowd of 35,000 in today's era.
Old 11-29-17, 03:31 PM
All World

Quote:

Why should I have to pay for it instead of the parents?
Old 11-29-17, 03:54 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The OHSAA provides a catastrophic accident insurance policy for each student athlete at no cost.

It is cost prohibitive (among other issues) for the school districts to cover each and every student athlete for medical issues sustained that aren't covered by the OHSAA policy.
Old 11-29-17, 04:22 PM
All Region

Stow78alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronoldie View Post
Why should the playoffs or championships be higher?
It's the way of the world. This October, I had $75 bleacher seats and $50 SRO for the Tribe for the ALDS. The ALCS tickets were in the $150 range (better seats) and I expect the WS tickets would've been in the $300+ range if they would've gotten that far. And our quarter season package averaged $17/seat for similar seats for comparison. Not saying it's right, just life these days.
Old 11-29-17, 04:47 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stow78alum View Post
It's the way of the world. This October, I had $75 bleacher seats and $50 SRO for the Tribe for the ALDS. The ALCS tickets were in the $150 range (better seats) and I expect the WS tickets would've been in the $300+ range if they would've gotten that far. And our quarter season package averaged $17/seat for similar seats for comparison. Not saying it's right, just life these days.
Value added pricing of course. Osu at iowa....Hawkeye charged 90 and their next highest game was I believe 60 so yeah.....prices change
Old 11-29-17, 05:00 PM
All District

Quote:
Why should I have to pay for it instead of the parents?
umm why shouldn't the consumers of the product pay for it?

the current status quo transfers the cost of the subsidized cheap entertainment to everyone else who is not enjoying it.

transferring the cost of medical treatment to private healthcare insurance transfers the cost to everyone else.

or don't you understand how insurance works?

the bottom line is: if the price of the ticket had to pay for the true cost of the entertainment, nobody would be willing to pay it. period.

because remember: the true cost includes all of the losing teams, including the 0-10 teams that almost nobody ever pays to see. those players get injured too.
Old 11-29-17, 05:07 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
If I wanna go see the game, I'm gonna go. 20 bucks would probably be my ceiling

Free wouldn't get me to at least 5 of the games this weekend.
Old 11-29-17, 05:10 PM
All World

Quote:
umm why shouldn't the consumers of the product pay for it?

the current status quo transfers the cost of the subsidized cheap entertainment to everyone else who is not enjoying it.

transferring the cost of medical treatment to private healthcare insurance transfers the cost to everyone else.

or don't you understand how insurance works?

the bottom line is: if the price of the ticket had to pay for the true cost of the entertainment, nobody would be willing to pay it. period.

because remember: the true cost includes all of the losing teams, including the 0-10 teams that almost nobody ever pays to see. those players get injured too.
Then by your logic, the sport should be discontinued or go to a club model. Fine by me.
Old 11-29-17, 05:17 PM
Junior Varsity

Today is on a distinguished road
If the price stays near $15 at the shoe, you play at the shoe. The chance for a highschool kid to run out of the tunnel onto the field at the shoe, "PRICELESS". At Bensman field $10.
Old 11-29-17, 06:39 PM
All District

Quote:
Then by your logic, the sport should be discontinued or go to a club model. Fine by me.
Well, in order to answer the original question posed: "What is your price limit when in comes to high school football?"

In my opinion, the true cost of high school football should be borne by those consuming the product which is entertainment. Agree?

Also...You are aware that school districts receive little or no revenue from any broadcast media, or print media I assume ?

The product is essentially given out as a freebie for some unknown reason.
Old 11-29-17, 07:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Well, in order to answer the original question posed: "What is your price limit when in comes to high school football?"
The OP has kind of answered his own question in multiple threads by saying two hours pay ($15) is too high.

Quote:
In my opinion, the true cost of high school football should be borne by those consuming the product which is entertainment. Agree?
For pro and even college sports, yes. That high school sports provide entertainment value is nowhere close to its main objective.

Quote:
Also...You are aware that school districts receive little or no revenue from any broadcast media, or print media I assume ?
Getting back to the subject of the thread, their cost structure has no bearing on how much I would be willing to pay for a particular game.
Old 11-29-17, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
I can see why you think 15 a game is to high, if you are making 7.50.

But hey at least you are working and that is the main thing.
Old 11-29-17, 07:59 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
You can't put a price on supporting the youth!

FWIW, if y'all think that football is expensive, try going to the state track & field meet in June. Ticket ($10.00/day), program ($5.00), ridiculously priced food, hotel (if staying more than a day of course), etc. All worth it though!
Old 11-29-17, 11:47 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm02 View Post
You can't put a price on supporting the youth!

FWIW, if y'all think that football is expensive, try going to the state track & field meet in June. Ticket ($10.00/day), program ($5.00), ridiculously priced food, hotel (if staying more than a day of course), etc. All worth it though!
$10 for the number of athletes on display in an entire day at the state track meet is an absolute steal, IMHO.

In this day and age of smart phones, the meet program isn't a major necessity (heat sheets are posted online, and lane assignments are shown on the video board before each race). Parking is free, and I bring my own water and snacks (they've never checked my shoulder bag on the way in). There might be no getting around a hotel room if you stay for both days, but it seems like almost everyone in Ohio has a friend or relative in the Columbus area these days.

As for football, would I pay to see 2 teams I have no absolutely no reason to care about? No. I like football but not that much. Free tickets to all 6 games in '09 fell into my lap. Someone won a pair to all 6 games in a local radio trivia contest but couldn't use them. I attended all 6 and was able to flip the pair for the DI game to a scalper for a single ticket and some cash. I was pretty footballed out by the 5th game. More than anything, I was tired of being out in the cold that long with the 1st 4 games ultimately being snoozers. Oh yeah, I attended the Browns' game the following day, too. Another snoozer, IIRC.

Would I pay $15 to attend a game that involved a team for which I had a mild interest? Maybe, but I'd try to have someone associated with that school get me a presale ticket and save a few bucks while that school gets a cut of the money.

Would I pay $15 to support my school? Yes.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 12-05-17 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 12:41 AM
All District

Quote:
For pro and even college sports, yes. That high school sports provide entertainment value is nowhere close to its main objective.
Oh, the main objective is the highly important educational value - to a tiny segment of the student population of a school district.

So I just wonder why the schools don't sell tickets to other highly important educational events such as the students taking State mandated tests......

Or why don't they sell tickets to Algebra Trig classes? That might be pretty entertaining actually. Or English classes ... to hear the excuses why a kid doesn't have his homework.

But I have to ask you to focus on the topic: how much would you pay for a ticket to any particular high school football game.

which is exactly proportional to that game's entertainment value to the buyer even if that entertainment value is purely incidental to the actual main objective of the activity.

;-)
Old 11-30-17, 02:00 AM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
$10 for the number of athletes on display in an entire day at the state track meet is an absolute steal, IMHO.

In this day and age of smart phones, the meet program isn't a major necessity (heat sheets are posted online, and lane assignments are shown on the video board before each race). Parking is free, and I bring my own water and snacks (they've never checked my shoulder bag on the way in). There might be no getting around a hotel room if you stay for both days, but it seems like almost everyone in Ohio has a friend or relative in the Columbus area these days.
The state track meet is so good!

I can find access to any info that I need online, but I like to save the programs as souvenirs. You're definitely right about Columbus. It's flooded with people from Warren and I like to go visiting when I'm down there.
Old 12-05-17, 10:27 PM
All Ohio

SECfb is an unknown quantity at this point
Texas State Championships do it nice. $15 gets you all 3 games for that day. 11:00am, 3:00, and 7:00. So if you went Thurs-Saturday, that would be $45, for 9 State Final games. That is tough to beat. These teams are loaded with talent, even the small divisions.
Old 12-05-17, 10:43 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Today View Post
It seems funny that people complain about $15 for a State game, but to pay $100 or so for a Buckeyes game for half a seat seems about right???

I am assuming no one is willing to pay for a Bengals or Browns ticket at this point.
I'll pay whatever it takes for Browns final game if they have a shot at a perfect 0-16 season!
Old 12-06-17, 11:53 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I am still going so they must not have hit my limit yet.
Old 12-06-17, 02:03 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No. Schools have extracurricular activities because of their educational value. If football is the product, the players are the consumers.

Your basic premise is incorrect.
Old 12-06-17, 02:07 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So I just wonder why the schools don't sell tickets to other highly important educational events such as the students taking State mandated tests......

Or why don't they sell tickets to Algebra Trig classes? That might be pretty entertaining actually. Or English classes ... to hear the excuses why a kid doesn't have his homework.
You could watch all of those for free now and no one does. No one would ever buy a ticket.