Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-28-17, 06:27 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What is your price limit when it comes to high school football

Everyone has a limit to how much they are willing to spend on things. So what is the limit you will cut off buying tickets to any high school football game?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-17, 06:52 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
I laugh when I hear people complaining that "It's $12 to watch my team play". C'mon folks....how many chances do you get to see your son, or your son's friends or your neighbor's kid play for a State Championship? Heck, I would have paid 5 times that if my son would have gotten a chance to play for a title....especially if it was in the Shoe. Our HS girls team when my son was a senior played in the state finals at Mapfre. NOBODY complained about ticket prices....the girls were playing in an MLS stadium...a once in a lifetime opportunity. My son has had friends play in the state baseball finals at Huntington Park....those game stories come up every time we get started talking about baseball...the kids were thrilled to play there. I didn't mind paying $12 to watch...I had know some of the kids since they were 10 years old..I'd have paid $50 to see them get a chance to play for a championship.

When the state basketball tourney was still at St John Arena I saw people pay $100/game for big time games. The place was always sold out...it wasn't uncommon to have to pay $20/game just to get in...did it many times...and this is when tickets were $5.00 for the upper deck seats. Again, not a big deal, if I wanted to see a good game, I'd pay it.

Funny thing is, you'll go to a state title game, hear people complaining about ticket prices while they are standing in line drinking a Starbucks coffee that cost them $6
Old 11-28-17, 07:02 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
$7 or $8 seems reasonable for regular season. $10 or $12 for playoffs. $15 for championship weekend.

Going higher might limit some people with their budgets
Old 11-28-17, 07:48 PM
All Region

akronoldie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
$7 or $8 seems reasonable for regular season. $10 or $12 for playoffs. $15 for championship weekend.

Why should the playoffs or championships be higher?
Old 11-28-17, 08:25 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronoldie View Post

They shouldn't. OHSAA just does it because they can.
Old 11-28-17, 08:39 PM
All District

TVDAWGS32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think $15 a ticket is a bit high, especially considering it comes right around Christmas time. I have 3 kids and my wife to get in also, so I will be shelling out $60 just to get in, then add in parking and concessions and I'll have $150 wrapped up in a HS game (granted the biggest game of the year). Now, with all that said I am going to drop $150 to witness Tri Valley in the State Championship for the 1st time in school history without hesitation. My boy played on the 8th grade team this year and he will get to see something that him and his friends can now strive to acheive. This group of Seniors for Tri Valley has now added another piece in the programs history. We have steadily gotten better since we hired Buttermore in '04 and have made the playoffs 10 of the last 12 yrs and have been knocking on the door to making it to the Ship. This year we finally kicked in the door and you cant put a price on witnessing history for your alma mater and the school your children attend.
However, the $15 price may cause more casual fans to not attend.
Old 11-28-17, 09:31 PM
All District

Ram Nation 95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVDAWGS32 View Post
I think $15 a ticket is a bit high, especially considering it comes right around Christmas time. I have 3 kids and my wife to get in also, so I will be shelling out $60 just to get in, then add in parking and concessions and I'll have $150 wrapped up in a HS game (granted the biggest game of the year). Now, with all that said I am going to drop $150 to witness Tri Valley in the State Championship for the 1st time in school history without hesitation. My boy played on the 8th grade team this year and he will get to see something that him and his friends can now strive to acheive. This group of Seniors for Tri Valley has now added another piece in the programs history. We have steadily gotten better since we hired Buttermore in '04 and have made the playoffs 10 of the last 12 yrs and have been knocking on the door to making it to the Ship. This year we finally kicked in the door and you cant put a price on witnessing history for your alma mater and the school your children attend.
However, the $15 price may cause more casual fans to not attend.
Enjoy it, its gonna be a awesome experience! Last game of the year so soak it in. Hoping for an injury free game. #Trotwood#ramnation #gorams
Old 11-28-17, 09:46 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
$1 for Canton and $20 for Columbus
Old 11-28-17, 10:36 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Depends entirely on the game.

Just on principle, the ticket price of $15 is about the max I'd pay if it weren't my high school playing in a title game. That's for a single game. $20 if it's a multi-game setup or championship.

Generally though, $4-$7 for regular season is what I expect, $10-$15 for multi-game, and about $10 for the most I'd pay for a single playoff or title game. Nationwide, that's about the going rates. As I said, I'd pay more, but I know not everyone is willing to spend what I do, and growing up dirt poor where the $2 student ticket was 'a lot' for just me to attend when I was in school, I can understand the financial constraints involved with travel, ticket, parking, and concession/food prices in traveling for games.

I enjoy the luxury of being able to do that, but not everyone can. So, when I point out higher ticket prices, it's because I know that's the reality many others face and it's a deciding factor in whether to attend or not.
Old 11-28-17, 11:25 PM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
They could name their price and Id be there to watch The Mighty Big Red of Steubenville play for a title.
Old 11-28-17, 11:48 PM
All District

TVDAWGS32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Nation 95 View Post
Enjoy it, its gonna be a awesome experience! Last game of the year so soak it in. Hoping for an injury free game. #Trotwood#ramnation #gorams
Yes indeed. I am really looking forward to it. Hoping for a really good game and that no injuries occur. I feel really bad for a kid I had worked with at my summer job at the feedmill (I teach during the school year). He's a Senior and our starting RE and he tore his ACL during the Marion Franklin game in week 11. I know it's killing him to not be out there with his team during this run and that he would give anything to be on that field come Saturday. He's just a really good kid and I feel for him.
Old 11-29-17, 04:32 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronoldie View Post
Great question. Answer. Greed and they know some fans will blindly pay what ever price that is charged.
Old 11-29-17, 08:36 AM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
OHSAA is stingy with the money. Participating schools get $1.00 for each ticket sold in advance they get nothing for tickets sold at the gate. I would think that $15.00 would be a cause for the drop in attendance, even the price of 1st round tickets causes complaints.
Old 11-29-17, 10:04 AM
All District

styx is on a distinguished road
$1.00 is kind of ridiculously low.
Old 11-29-17, 10:16 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
OHSAA is stingy with the money. Participating schools get $1.00 for each ticket sold in advance they get nothing for tickets sold at the gate. I would think that $15.00 would be a cause for the drop in attendance, even the price of 1st round tickets causes complaints.
OHSAA is non-profit. The schools will see that money in the coming years.
Old 11-29-17, 10:29 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
$1.00 is kind of ridiculously low.
I believe they get $2/ticket now.
Old 11-29-17, 10:44 AM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I believe they get $2/ticket now.
Is it a percentage or flat amount for football?

I know for the Volleyball regional and state tournament schools kept 12.5% of their advance sales.

Last edited by TriangleMan; 11-29-17 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-29-17, 11:16 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
What is my limit? i really do not know. They don't seem to have hit it yet, so I guess I will have to wait and see what happens in the future. There was a time in the passed that I went to OSU football games and the tickets I bought were from students and they cost me 3 dollars. How much does it cost to go to a game at this time? Have they hit your limit?
Old 11-29-17, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
My limit goes down the more I can sit in my recliner at home and watch.
Old 11-29-17, 11:35 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
If my favorite team was in it, I'd say $50 per person would be the most I would pay. As a casual fan, it's already too high.
Old 11-29-17, 11:39 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
Great question. Answer. Greed and they know some fans will blindly pay what ever price that is charged.
Disagree. Charging more for post season is fairly standard across all sports from little league to pros.
Old 11-29-17, 11:43 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
What is my limit? i really do not know. They don't seem to have hit it yet, so I guess I will have to wait and see what happens in the future. There was a time in the passed that I went to OSU football games and the tickets I bought were from students and they cost me 3 dollars. How much does it cost to go to a game at this time? Have they hit your limit?
In last 10 years, I think $80 per ticket was our lowest paid, and several hundred was highest. A little steep, but we paid it...so I guess the limit has not been reached...
Old 11-29-17, 12:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Disagree. Charging more for post season is fairly standard across all sports from little league to pros.
The colleges and pros are smart enough to grasp the concept of market clearing price. Until the facility is sold out, the price is too high and there's going to be 15,000 empty seats agreeing with me.

If a bunch of hicks in the middle of nowhere in western Ohio can draw 7500 people for an insignificant lower division regular season game, then OHSAA can do better for championships.

The Stark County visitor bureau claimed a loss of $2.6 million in direct spending when the finals were moved to Columbus. Let them pay for parking and admission. 23,000 walkups at the gate is only $350K in tickets.

If 6500 - 14,000 is the most that can ever be expected then just use the same venues as the semifinals.
Old 11-29-17, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
No real limit for ticket prices, well within reason but it's not close yet,

Travel wise....for my team any place I'll go,but to support other local teams two hours is the limit. Too bad games are in NEO this year as I would like to go to our local teams games but that is just too far to go.

Columbus. .yes. neo.....no.
Old 11-29-17, 01:02 PM
All American

Zwick_4_Prez is an unknown quantity at this point
about treefiddy.
Old 11-29-17, 01:17 PM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
...I think $ 15.00 to see a high school championship game is about right but you should be able to stay and see as many games in a day as you want like other states do. You'd just move to the end zone or between the 20 and the goal lines so the people who have a team playing in that game get the better seats.
Old 11-29-17, 01:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...I think $ 15.00 to see a high school championship game is about right but you should be able to stay and see as many games in a day as you want like other states do.
So $5 per game then. That's closer.
Old 11-29-17, 02:03 PM
All District

BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
So $5 per game then. That's closer.
how about let's calculate the actual cost of playing the games, and charge accordingly.

this would include all expenses incurred by each school system, including medical care for players injured at all levels of play, all utilities for all workouts, practices, meetings, scrimmages, 7 on 7s etc... ALL costs for ALL school systems who field a team in Ohio. (all teams are eligible for the tournament after all and you have to have the losers so the winners have someone to play)

how much would a ticket cost if we did that?

how about we start throwing in $100 per game to be deposited into an escrow account for each player to be used for his or her post secondary education, be it technical school, college, trade school, etc? each player down to the lowest scrub, gets $100 per game played by the high school.
Old 11-29-17, 02:06 PM
Junior Varsity

Today is on a distinguished road
It seems funny that people complain about $15 for a State game, but to pay $100 or so for a Buckeyes game for half a seat seems about right???

I am assuming no one is willing to pay for a Bengals or Browns ticket at this point.
Old 11-29-17, 02:32 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Charging the same for a regular season game as they do for a game in the Shoe isn't real feasible.....you do realize that Ohio State doesn't just say "oh, here are the keys, bring them back when the games are over" right? It's expensive to rent that place.....a heck of a lot more than it costs them to use a HS for the semi-finals. I'm sure Benson is less money, so if it's $15.00 at the 'Shoe, it should only be $10 in Canton lol....but I'm sure the OH$AA won't ever see it that way