Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-27-17, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Will attendance be better or worse this season at the state finals?

What say you?
Why do you think this?

Could be interesting .
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-17, 04:48 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Weather looks to be great and there will be a spike for being in a new spot so probably
Old 11-27-17, 04:52 PM
All Region

valuska is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
What say you?
Why do you think this?

Could be interesting .
Seems like all the talk about parking issues may hold down the attendance this year. I will go and put up with any difficulties parking to watch the team I support but will not attend any other games...but that has been true even when the game was played in Columbus. I still think that playing in a stadium that holds 100,000+ people when only 10-15,000 maximum fans show up for the big games takes away from the atmosphere. I don't really care where in the state the games are played....if the team I root for is playing I will be there. For the casual fan with no team affiliation it is a big issue. Centrally located, reasonable capacity, and available amenities seems to be the key to increase attendance.
Old 11-27-17, 05:33 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
same....... for all the same reasoning
Old 11-27-17, 05:43 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah parking will be the issue but I think the allure around new Benson Stadium will draw some of the fans that might not have attended otherwise.
Old 11-27-17, 06:20 PM
All Region

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Since STO no longer has the games, I'll continue to watch, tsun, Iowa, California, Texas, Colorado, Missouri, and other state high school play-offs.
Old 11-27-17, 06:23 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Attendance will definitely be up over the last time it was at Stark County.

1. New stadium draws interest on its own.
2. Mostly new/infrequent teams combined with a couple that draw a big crowd (like Steubenville)

Parking can can a big downer. Individual ticket prices may deter some, but I think overall cost AND parking situation will deter some more seven-game fans from taking in the weekend. At least until how the club setup is handled.

Will attendance be more than last year in Columbus? That's the big question. It was trending downward already. I think it will be up a few thousand overall from the last year in Columbus.

The Thursday game will have the local bump thanks to Hoban, but exactly how many fans will Winton Woods bring? Plus, it looks like rain in the evening.
Old 11-27-17, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

2016 Attendance
D-1 Attendance 13690

D-2
Attendance: 6750

D-3
Attendance: 7396

D-4
Attendance: 8646

D-5
Attendance: 5954

D-6
Attendance: 6270

D-7
Attendance: 6725
Old 11-27-17, 06:55 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Up. Change of venue, good weather, good economy and most of all almost no private schools ( public community schools travel better).

My big concern for lower attendance going forward is video game streaming, I would rather watch at home.
Old 11-27-17, 07:00 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
I do not understand the concern over the attendance. What possible difference can it make? I mean the OHSAA is not going to go out of business. We will not stop having state tournaments if attendance drops to a certain level. The kids that win a title will not feel any less triumphant if a stadium is only partially full.
Old 11-27-17, 07:12 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
I do not understand the concern over the attendance. What possible difference can it make? I mean the OHSAA is not going to go out of business. We will not stop having state tournaments if attendance drops to a certain level. The kids that win a title will not feel any less triumphant if a stadium is only partially full.
maybe just maybe, OHsaa will get the hint...and make the experience more fan friendly......
Old 11-27-17, 07:16 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
What say you?
Why do you think this?

Could be interesting .
If attendance is down, it's because of lack of public school support. It's time to put up or shut up publics.
Old 11-27-17, 07:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
maybe just maybe, OHsaa will get the hint...and make the experience more fan friendly......
I'm not even sure what that means. What is unfriendly about it, and why does this keep people away? If you care enough about it you will go.
Old 11-27-17, 07:22 PM
Varsity

Armchairqb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
if attendance is down, it's because of lack of public school support. It's time to put up or shut up publics.
agreed!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-17, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going and look forward to every year. Yes I like better when in canton since I live up this way. But, I went to cbus 2 years ago, and would have again last year if had been medically able.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-17, 08:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
That and their biggest tournaments for financing is football and basketball. So, for a health standpoint, it is important to see how well the major tournaments do.
Old 11-27-17, 09:49 PM
All World

Quote:
I'm not even sure what that means. What is unfriendly about it, and why does this keep people away? If you care enough about it you will go.
how about NOT clearing out the stadium between games....
Old 11-27-17, 09:52 PM
All Region

tiger56dad is on a distinguished road
I think it will be good with the weather. I really enjoyed our own experience with Loveland in the HOF stadium. I think the Stark county folks are proud to host and some locals attend. My wife and I hung out with locals at a bar and grill in Canton where everyone seemed to be planning to go and knew about the teams. I was impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-17, 10:49 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
I'm going for the D2 game, would consider the D1 game if parking wasn't a PITA since a friend's brother is in it.

I'll miss having a reserved parking spot a half mile from the stadium like I had the past two years.
Old 11-28-17, 12:17 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
15 dollar tickets...
Old 11-28-17, 12:36 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
I'm going for the D2 game, would consider the D1 game if parking wasn't a PITA since a friend's brother is in it.

I'll miss having a reserved parking spot a half mile from the stadium like I had the past two years.
That one thing that was great about the alternating Massillon-Canton setup was the reserved parking pass for the ticket book patrons. Leave one game. Take your time to eat somewhere, and then just roll in and have a spot to park near either stadium and a short walk right before game time.

With the setup in Columbus and now Canton, they had to increase time between games, but with the parking situation and shuttle service, leaving to get your car and go somewhere and come back without a reserved spot you could show up just before gametime makes it a nuisance. The club thing might be good.

But, for me, my issue is the schedule. 10am, 3pm, 8pm is just ridiculous for a state only having three games in a day at one venue. Indiana does 12-3:30-7.

But, that only works because Indiana charges a single ticket for the day instead of insisting on making sure each game has a new ticket.

Some here argue that the ticketbook crowd wasn't worth catering to, as most fans only attend just one game, so why not just charge one ticket for the day and figure x% are just for one game and schedule games with a little more consideration.

If the 8pm game goes 3 hours (with television that's distinctly possible), that means 13 hours from kickoff of game 1 until the end of game three. That's not counting time getting to the stadium from somewhere and time leaving the last game and getting to a hotel or home to start again the next day.

That's a lot of time for just three games.

Other states get four games in starting at 10am and finished before Ohio's last game would be over. And for a lot less.
Old 11-28-17, 04:57 AM
All Yappi

With the lack of teams from the immediate area one might think that would hurt attendance, but then again people from the area the finals are being held, say they are the best fans. So maybe it won't play a factor.
Old 11-28-17, 07:14 AM
All District

superduper is on a distinguished road
no cincinnati private schools = attendance way down
Old 11-28-17, 07:34 AM
Varsity

stripedwarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
Not sure where you were parking, but I was in a lot that were adjacent to the stadium. Only had to walk about 200 yards to get into the stadium. Of course we did have a 10:00 game, got there early, and walked somewhere down the street to get some breakfast.

Not looking forward to a 3+ hour drive this year for a 10:00 game. Also have to leave time for parking and the shuttle over to the stadium. May need to leave at 5 am, just to make sure we get there on time.
I would consider a hotel on Thursday night, but the wife won't know until Thursday night if she can go. Also, our kids in the band aren't leaving until Friday morning. Going to be a long day.

Was a lot more convenient being in Columbus. I could be in the stadium about 2 hours from the time I left home.

Feel sorry for Winton Woods fans having to travel 3.5-4 hours for a night game on Thursday. Basically have to take 2 days of vacation at work to go watch your kid/school play. You would think that the state could take something like travel into account when scheduling this. But, that would make sense. They aren't into making this more fan friendly. D1 would have made the most sense, but that is their "big game". Can't have that on Thursday, or going against the BIG 10 championship(OSU).
Old 11-28-17, 07:42 AM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
As a casual fan--I am not going for the same reasons I have never go. If the OHSAA continues to kneel down to the NE Ohio people who think they invented football, then let them fill the stands. There are other venues in Ohio that would be a great place to hold the championship games. TOSU, BGSU, University of Toledo, University of Dayton, etc. Rotate the games around to different locations to satisfy the entire fan base.

I will be spending my $$ in other ways this weekend.
Old 11-28-17, 07:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
That one thing that was great about the alternating Massillon-Canton setup was the reserved parking pass for the ticket book patrons. Leave one game. Take your time to eat somewhere, and then just roll in and have a spot to park near either stadium and a short walk right before game time.

With the setup in Columbus and now Canton, they had to increase time between games, but with the parking situation and shuttle service, leaving to get your car and go somewhere and come back without a reserved spot you could show up just before gametime makes it a nuisance. The club thing might be good.

But, for me, my issue is the schedule. 10am, 3pm, 8pm is just ridiculous for a state only having three games in a day at one venue. Indiana does 12-3:30-7.

But, that only works because Indiana charges a single ticket for the day instead of insisting on making sure each game has a new ticket.

Some here argue that the ticketbook crowd wasn't worth catering to, as most fans only attend just one game, so why not just charge one ticket for the day and figure x% are just for one game and schedule games with a little more consideration.

If the 8pm game goes 3 hours (with television that's distinctly possible), that means 13 hours from kickoff of game 1 until the end of game three. That's not counting time getting to the stadium from somewhere and time leaving the last game and getting to a hotel or home to start again the next day.

That's a lot of time for just three games.

Other states get four games in starting at 10am and finished before Ohio's last game would be over. And for a lot less.
BINGO!!!!! that is what is WRONG with the OHSAA is doing....
Old 11-28-17, 07:59 AM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedwarrior View Post
Not sure where you were parking, but I was in a lot that were adjacent to the stadium. Only had to walk about 200 yards to get into the stadium. Of course we did have a 10:00 game, got there early, and walked somewhere down the street to get some breakfast.
I was parking by the college of business. I have a relative there that got me a parking pass both years so I got a reserved spot for free.
Old 11-28-17, 08:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
15 dollar tickets...
But again, what difference does it really make, how many people attend? People who have someone involved are going to go. So what if the causal fan doesn't want to spend $15.
Old 11-28-17, 09:19 AM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
...with the Big 10 Championship game at 8pm, I wonder how many people will actually show up for the D3 game on Saturday night?
Old 11-28-17, 10:10 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Thursday will be down - WW will not travel well and Hoban won't draw impartial NEO fans, not even the Catholics. Friday may be up slightly, but I'm guessing down. Saturday will be way down with tOSU playing - D-III attendance will be sad.