Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 11-29-17, 02:31 PM
BoomBoom BoomBoom is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-28-17
Posts: 116
BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Today View Post
Yea, I see your point, with only one outlier 5 seed making it. We could reduce the number of teams to 4 per Region. This would reduce these awful blowouts, and some unwanted competition.
why don't you get into reality: this is the cheap entertainment industry.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 11-29-17, 02:34 PM
Today Today is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-22-17
Posts: 47
Today is on a distinguished road
Yea, I'm done.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 11-29-17, 02:37 PM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 342
USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post
^^^ And I don't know how in the world St. Henry was an 8 seed in D-V in 04.

They lost only to Coldwater, finishing 9-1 and in sole possession of 2nd place in the MAC (behind only 10-0 CW). I guess playing many D-VI schools - and the MAC having only 1 ooc game were factors in Harbin.

The Skins ended their dominant season at 14-1 and D-V state champs ... not a typical 8 seed at all.
In the play-offs, St. Henry disposed of the number 1 seed in their own region and in the state tournament disposed of two more number 1 seeds to win the championship.
yes, "not a typical 8 seed at all."
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 11-29-17, 02:54 PM
Today Today is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-22-17
Posts: 47
Today is on a distinguished road
St. Henry snuck in by 0.4 computer points that year. Lucky!!
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 11-29-17, 04:01 PM
bulldog1974 bulldog1974 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-06-07
Posts: 2,183
bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
So "it" is BS then?
Nope. 500 open enrollment. Columbiana Crestview. Recruiting for sports, middle school to high school. Academics are no better than neighboring districts.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 11-29-17, 04:14 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,725
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
Nope. 500 open enrollment. Columbiana Crestview. Recruiting for sports, middle school to high school. Academics are no better than neighboring districts.
The entire district has 500 that open enroll. K-12. Isn't that right?

Your original post suggested they had 500 that open enroll just in the high school and all for sports.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 11-29-17, 04:22 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,725
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Today View Post
St. Henry snuck in by 0.4 computer points that year. Lucky!!
Lucky OHSAA expanded to 8 teams per region in 1999 to catch the outliers like this one.

I seriously doubt any more outliers like this reside in any spots beyond seed # 8. Considering how rare this occurrence actually has happened with the 8 seed.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 11-29-17, 04:38 PM
bulldog1974 bulldog1974 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-06-07
Posts: 2,183
bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
The entire district has 500 that open enroll. K-12. Isn't that right?

Your original post suggested they had 500 that open enroll just in the high school and all for sports.
Maybe you should research. 7-12. You can't read, don't respond.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 11-29-17, 05:09 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,725
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
Maybe you should research. 7-12. You can't read, don't respond.
http://www.morningjournalnews.com/ne...llment-policy/

this help? looks like 500 (447 actually) district wide.

Which is about a third of the student body. Which is a pretty large percentage.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 11-29-17, 11:44 PM
Jaws31 Jaws31 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-25-16
Posts: 244
Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
Nope. 500 open enrollment. Columbiana Crestview. Recruiting for sports, middle school to high school. Academics are no better than neighboring districts.
Maybe instead of being so bitter over losing your 299 students from EP to other schools you should try looking for the reason they are leaving. Make your school more attractive in all aspects and people won't flock to other places. As far as Crestview is concerned, I'd be willing to bet my house that most if not all of the kindergartners, 1st, 2nd graders didn't transfer there for athletic reasons and I'm gonna go ahead and say they weren't "recruited".
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 11-30-17, 10:16 AM
IcyCoolDevil IcyCoolDevil is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-28-06
Posts: 152
IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Maybe instead of being so bitter over losing your 299 students from EP to other schools you should try looking for the reason they are leaving. Make your school more attractive in all aspects and people won't flock to other places. As far as Crestview is concerned, I'd be willing to bet my house that most if not all of the kindergartners, 1st, 2nd graders didn't transfer there for athletic reasons and I'm gonna go ahead and say they weren't "recruited".
It is probably also a safe bet that the 300 girls were not recruited for football.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 12-01-17, 06:55 PM
E-Town E-Town is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-02-05
Posts: 505
E-Town is on a distinguished road
3 divisions is ideal, 4 would be ok. The playoffs used to be special...and because only the most deserving and best made it, you never saw a running clock!

And for all those complaining about having nothing to play for...there used to be a thing called conference champions. And you could have a losing season, but if you beat your biggest neighborhood rival then the season record didn't really matter. HS fb has become so much like college fb that a lot of fun has been lost. Now, beating a rival only matters if they can give you a bunch of Harbins.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 12-01-17, 07:00 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,725
winbypin is on a distinguished road
You never saw a running clock back then because that rule didn't exist until 3-4 years ago I believe.

I think 3 or 4 is too few. But I agree with what you're saying about conference championships and rivalry games.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12-01-17, 07:03 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Retired
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Avon
Posts: 20,075
EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Lots off blowouts, even in the 70's.

Be consistent with other sports, let them all in. 6 divisions, 9 week regular season, everyone plays Week 10
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 12-01-17, 08:50 PM
Kballer Kballer is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 1,541
Kballer is on a distinguished road
had a coach once explain that blowouts happen more often at the state level because there is an unfamiliarity between the teams. So often the coaches plan their seasons and prepare their teams based on opponents they routinely face. Much harder at the high school level to prep for teams you never see, don't know the coaches style, the players capabilitiesnin depth, and have no common opponents. Obviously not the only reason but a theory that makes some sense.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12-02-17, 09:32 AM
BlessEmAll's Avatar
BlessEmAll BlessEmAll is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-05
Posts: 5,600
BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Tells me that other schools need to model their programs by the Marion Local, Coldwater programs.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 12-02-17, 09:48 AM
BIG ED BIG ED is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-26-01
Location: Perry Twp.(Massillon, Oh.
Posts: 4,317
BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Interesting this thread has gone 5 pages and the OHSAA isn’t going to change a thing....just sayin.
If anything they need to find a way to fix the bottom of D-1 where schools with 611 boys are playing schools with over 1,000 boys.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 12-07-17, 05:09 PM
bulldog1974 bulldog1974 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-06-07
Posts: 2,183
bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Maybe instead of being so bitter over losing your 299 students from EP to other schools you should try looking for the reason they are leaving. Make your school more attractive in all aspects and people won't flock to other places. As far as Crestview is concerned, I'd be willing to bet my house that most if not all of the kindergartners, 1st, 2nd graders didn't transfer there for athletic reasons and I'm gonna go ahead and say they weren't "recruited".
It is what it is, remember, removing those open enrollment students causes that district to become a D7. Just saying. BTW, recruiting is why they were booted from a former league, reason why that league dissolved and the thefts weren't only from here. 'nuff said.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 12-07-17, 05:20 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,054
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Lots off blowouts, even in the 70's.

Be consistent with other sports, let them all in. 6 divisions, 9 week regular season, everyone plays Week 10
Few yrs ago I was bored and did an avg margin of victory in title games since playoffs started and categorized them for how many divisioms.

The margin of victory was a little bit higher nowadays but not alot more like some want to suggest so I could not really put blame on the amount of divisions.

I almost believe that the wide open nature of the game now has more to do with scores.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 12-07-17, 06:30 PM
BoomBoom BoomBoom is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-28-17
Posts: 116
BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Few yrs ago I was bored and did an avg margin of victory in title games since playoffs started and categorized them for how many divisioms.

The margin of victory was a little bit higher nowadays but not alot more like some want to suggest so I could not really put blame on the amount of divisions.

I almost believe that the wide open nature of the game now has more to do with scores.
how about considering that high school kids might get tired of getting beat up for the entertainment of the adults after ten or more weeks and just silently quit after getting behind by two scores?

they figure: "ok, that's enough of this crap" and give up.

especially in the cold. you know it's no fun at all getting beat up in the cold.

kids aren't as dumb as some of you people think, you know. they're just afraid to say anything else they will get excoriated as quitters and cowards so they keep their mouths shut.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 12-07-17, 06:37 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,298
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
how about considering that high school kids might get tired of getting beat up for the entertainment of the adults after ten or more weeks and just silently quit after getting behind by two scores?

they figure: "ok, that's enough of this crap" and give up.

especially in the cold. you know it's no fun at all getting beat up in the cold.

kids aren't as dumb as some of you people think, you know. they're just afraid to say anything else they will get excoriated as quitters and cowards so they keep their mouths shut.
I can honestly say I have never seen a MAC team/player (s) quit playing hard.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 12-07-17, 06:48 PM
BoomBoom BoomBoom is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-28-17
Posts: 116
BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
I can honestly say I have never seen a MAC team/player (s) quit playing hard.
I've never seen an Amish quit working hard, either.

but everybody in the world isn't Amish.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 12-07-17, 06:50 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,298
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
I've never seen an Amish quit working hard, either.

but everybody in the world isn't Amish.
How many kids play football "for the entertainment of adults"?

Those kids don't make it thru football camp much less two a days.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 12-07-17, 06:54 PM
BoomBoom BoomBoom is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-28-17
Posts: 116
BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
How many kids play football "for the entertainment of adults"?

Those kids don't make it thru football camp much less two a days.
LOL they figure it out by the end of the 10 game season and when down by a couple scores.

and they know they are not getting any "D1 offers".

they get tired of getting beat up. for any reason.

do you understand the function of pain to any sentient being?

it teaches the sentient being that it just did something stupid and destructive to itself and tells it not to do it again.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 12-07-17, 07:11 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,298
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
LOL they figure it out by the end of the 10 game season and when down by a couple scores.

and they know they are not getting any "D1 offers".

they get tired of getting beat up. for any reason.

do you understand the function of pain to any sentient being?

it teaches the sentient being that it just did something stupid and destructive to itself and tells it not to do it again.
Sounds like the argument for more divisions, not less.

Let kids of equal caliber play against each other.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 12-07-17, 07:15 PM
BoomBoom BoomBoom is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-28-17
Posts: 116
BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Sounds like the argument for more divisions, not less.

Let kids of equal caliber play against each other.
its not an argument about the number of divisions, its an argument for fewer games and less abuse of the uncompensated, "volunteer" "talent"

the teams getting blown out in effect, have made the decision for themselves that enough has been enough.

my guess is that they made that decision immediately after being informed that they 'made the playoffs" LOL

they are thinking... "oh crap, I want this to be over already .. but I better not say anything"

"I'm tired of being yelled at by these azzholes" LOL
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 12-07-17, 07:25 PM
BoomBoom BoomBoom is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-28-17
Posts: 116
BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
and then about the middle of the 3rd Q and they are down by 14 and just turned it over on downs, they say.

Ok, I'm done. Go ahead and put the JV's in, coach:

I'll be back here getting warmed up and collecting from the cheerleaders, the only compensation I''ll get.

I earned it . LOL
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 12-07-17, 07:38 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,298
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
and then about the middle of the 3rd Q and they are down by 14 and just turned it over on downs, they say.

Ok, I'm done. Go ahead and put the JV's in, coach:

I'll be back here getting warmed up and collecting from the cheerleaders, the only compensation I''ll get.

I earned it . LOL
It's no wonder the MAC dominates.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 12-07-17, 08:05 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 2,589
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
its not an argument about the number of divisions, its an argument for fewer games and less abuse of the uncompensated, "volunteer" "talent"

the teams getting blown out in effect, have made the decision for themselves that enough has been enough.

my guess is that they made that decision immediately after being informed that they 'made the playoffs" LOL

they are thinking... "oh crap, I want this to be over already .. but I better not say anything"

"I'm tired of being yelled at by these azzholes" LOL
sorry about your experience of playing football.... just a feeling, but I guess you didn't play all four years, what year did you quit?
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 12-07-17, 10:04 PM
BoomBoom BoomBoom is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-28-17
Posts: 116
BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
sorry about your experience of playing football.... just a feeling, but I guess you didn't play all four years, what year did you quit?
i played as long as I wanted to play.

and you're barking up the wrong tree.

i don't drink the kool aid that people play hs football because they love the game: if people loved the game there would be all kinds of town teams all over the place but the fact is that playing football is about as much fun as getting a root canal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the Mount Union Fall Open is Sunday, Nov. 12th! Rookie, Youth Open, MS & HS Divisions Kickoff Classic Tournaments looking for teams, open tournaments, wrestling camps/clubs, etc. 1 11-08-17 03:34 AM
the Mount Union Fall Open is Sunday, Nov. 12th! Rookie, Youth Open, MS & HS Divisions AWC Open Wrestling 0 11-08-17 03:32 AM
Divisions 1,2,5,7 State Championships on Thursday or Friday, Divisions 3,4,6 Saturday Yappi Football 38 10-28-17 12:41 PM
the Mount Union Fall Open is Sunday, Nov. 12th! Rookie, Youth Open, MS & HS Divisions Kickoff Classic Wrestling 0 10-26-17 11:32 PM
The Medina Fall Open is Sunday, Nov. 12th! Rookie, Youth, MS, and HS Divisions! Kickoff Classic Wrestling 0 10-22-17 12:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz