Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-27-17, 07:27 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
Yes, open enrollment recruiting by a neighboring school district. Said district has almost 500 open enrolled kids, majority is from two neighboring districts. Basis is sports, not academics.
I say BS. Maybe they have 500 open enrolled kids. I don't know. You didn't name the district. But let's say you're right. You know that ALL 500 open enrolled strictly due to sports? Man, they must be winning state titles in almost every men's and women's sport then. Lol.

But even if all this was correct this would be the exception and not the rule when it comes to open enrollment. No need to kill the entire open enrollment process based on your one isolated situation.
Old 11-27-17, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You obviously have no clue how open enrollment steals athletes from the home school. It's the same as recruiting, which is done, almost openly. Therefore, you are a fool to make a comment like you did.
Fyi - the school district doesn't own the child.
Old 11-27-17, 07:33 PM
Freshman

ohsaa1 is on a distinguished road
some people should not be allowed to talk(type)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
How many divisions are their in Ohio High School Track and Field : a total of 3. To win a State Championship in track is quite an accomplishment.
(yes I'm yelling at you) ONE KID CAN WIN A STATE TITLE FOR THE TEAM IN TRACK AND YOU ARE COMPARING IT TO FOOTBALL?!
Old 11-27-17, 09:43 PM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Wow, too many people whining about how many divisions there are. 7 is a great number of divisions. We are better than every state that borders us. Teams are more likely to make the NFL playoffs than the OHSAA football playoffs. It's kind of ridiculous. With some of the numbers people keep throwing around like 3 or 4 divisions, would mean lots of 9-1 & 10-0 teams miss the playoffs. Quit complaining people and enjoy lots of awesome football! How many times do we need to start threads about this topic, honestly?
Old 11-27-17, 11:31 PM
All District

algernonsidney is on a distinguished road
I thought six was logical because it meant three games on Friday and three on Saturday. Adding the seventh one made everything more complicated.

I've also come to the conclusion that there will always be people bitching that another division is needed. I don't hear it much in Ohio yet. It will come soon enough.
Old 11-27-17, 11:40 PM
All District

Hazardous Whippet is an unknown quantity at this point
Whittling down to fewer divisions would be no different than when only the top 2 or top 4 teams in each region made the playoffs. Undefeated teams and teams with 1 or 2 losses would not be able to make it in. I think things are good just the way they are right now.
Old 11-28-17, 06:14 AM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I say BS. Maybe they have 500 open enrolled kids. I don't know. You didn't name the district. But let's say you're right. You know that ALL 500 open enrolled strictly due to sports? Man, they must be winning state titles in almost every men's and women's sport then. Lol.

But even if all this was correct this would be the exception and not the rule when it comes to open enrollment. No need to kill the entire open enrollment process based on your one isolated situation.
It is what it is.
Old 11-28-17, 06:42 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
When it comes down to it, just because school districts across Ohio have divided up the land in Ohio, and a kid happens to live on a piece of land in their territory, there should be no presumption of ownership of his academic or athletic talents. Yes, even if he attended their elementary / middle schools.
Old 11-28-17, 07:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
It is what it is.
So "it" is BS then?
Old 11-28-17, 08:13 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
When it comes down to it, just because school districts across Ohio have divided up the land in Ohio, and a kid happens to live on a piece of land in their territory, there should be no presumption of ownership of his academic or athletic talents. Yes, even if he attended their elementary / middle schools.
Yeah, but that isn't how the taxes work, of course.
Old 11-28-17, 08:16 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazardous Whippet View Post
Whittling down to fewer divisions would be no different than when only the top 2 or top 4 teams in each region made the playoffs. Undefeated teams and teams with 1 or 2 losses would not be able to make it in. I think things are good just the way they are right now.
great point
Old 11-28-17, 08:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Wow, too many people whining about how many divisions there are. 7 is a great number of divisions. We are better than every state that borders us. Teams are more likely to make the NFL playoffs than the OHSAA football playoffs. It's kind of ridiculous. With some of the numbers people keep throwing around like 3 or 4 divisions, would mean lots of 9-1 & 10-0 teams miss the playoffs. Quit complaining people and enjoy lots of awesome football! How many times do we need to start threads about this topic, honestly?
Yeah, seems odd that if you love the sport, why would you be searching for ways for fewer people to participate? Kind of like the wrestling people who want fewer weight classes. Sure, let's try to exclude more kids, that will make things so much better.
Old 11-28-17, 08:51 AM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
In that case, I'd rather see the set-up remain at 7 divisions with I-VI being 11-man, and make VII the 8-man division. There are 714 schools playing 11-man right now. Let's say at least 40 of them eventually decide 8-man is the better fit for them. That leaves at most 674 playing 11-man. I'd then make DI the top 64 and spread the other 610 evenly among the other 5 11-man divisions. That puts about 122 in each division from II-VI. That might be enough extra teams to reduce the complaints of the lower divisions being watered down. The complaints about enrollment disparity in DI will always exist, but the disparity is reduced a little by cutting it down to the top 64 instead of 72. The other 5 divisions would have about the same number of teams that they had under the old 6-division format.
I like this idea if the number of 8-man teams keeps growing.

In the 8-man D7, how many make the playoffs and when is their championship game? Assuming a short season (8 games?) and maybe there's only two rounds of playoff games, then their championship can be the first Saturday night during the D1-D6 playoffs at a site TBD.

If D1 stays at 32 playoff teams, then for the D1-D6 championships I'm in favor of eliminating the early Friday game and playing either a 2-3-1 setup from Friday-Sunday or a 2-4 setup for Friday-Saturday.

Last edited by TriangleMan; 11-28-17 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added D1 staying at 32 playoff teams
Old 11-28-17, 09:01 AM
All Region

wls_color is on a distinguished road
I don't agree at all. It doesn't water it down and it doesn't take the glory of winning a state title away from anyone.

It gives 224 teams a chance to win a state title instead of 192 (if 6 divisions) or 160 (if 5 divisions).

Most schools in Ohio aren't the MAC. It's an honor to make the playoffs for most small schools. My home school (D6) went 8-2 and missed the playoffs for the first time in 7 years. We are in a conference that usually only gets run out of the playoffs by the MAC. Why make it harder on teams?
Old 11-28-17, 09:19 AM
All Region

joelmama is an unknown quantity at this point
One option would be to allow schools to play "up" if they choose to. Marion Local could probably still make to the title game in D4 or D3 let them choose before the season starts to play there. Maybe Kirtland would do move up to D4 so they could have a regional battle with Perry for instance. Nobody would be forced to but a team could flex their muscles for a year if they wish.
Old 11-28-17, 09:24 AM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmama View Post
One option would be to allow schools to play "up" if they choose to. Marion Local could probably still make to the title game in D4 or D3 let them choose before the season starts to play there. Maybe Kirtland would do move up to D4 so they could have a regional battle with Perry for instance. Nobody would be forced to but a team could flex their muscles for a year if they wish.

The OHSAA allows this in wrestling. One team has chosen to do so this year.
Old 11-28-17, 09:25 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Change will continue until every team makes the playoffs - whether that's done by increasing to 90 regions/22ish divisions or 45 regions/11ish divisions with top 16 in or 22 regions/6ish divisions with top 32 in - doesn't matter. It's going to happen. Wouldn't be surprised to see blind draws or geographic seeding either.
Old 11-28-17, 09:33 AM
All District

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Why eliminate any divisions? Why not institute a rule that if a team wins their division one year, they are given the choice to move up or stay in their division the following year. If they win a second year in a row then they are required to move up one division the following year and so on. This would eliminate any sort of competitive imbalance in the current format.
Old 11-28-17, 09:40 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
When it comes down to it, just because school districts across Ohio have divided up the land in Ohio, and a kid happens to live on a piece of land in their territory
Kids live where they parents decide to raise them. I could be wrong on this, but I believe that every independent school district in the state of Ohio was established prior to the birth all children presently enrolled in K-12 institutions.

You seem to be suggesting that the school districts popped around and engulfed families, as opposed to families freely choosing where to live, knowing the rules. ...
Old 11-28-17, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Kids live where they parents decide to raise them. I could be wrong on this, but I believe that every independent school district in the state of Ohio was established prior to the birth all children presently enrolled in K-12 institutions.

You seem to be suggesting that the school districts popped around and engulfed families, as opposed to families freely choosing where to live, knowing the rules. ...
You're right. Because a family decides to live in a certain area the school district has a "right" to any and all offspring that family has for as long as they live in that district. Doesn't matter if the school district is well ran, has good academic scores, is safe, or they don't offer the extracurricular activities your children desire. They are forever in servitude to the district where their parents chose to live years ago.
Old 11-28-17, 10:28 AM
All Region

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Once again it is State Championship week. Marion Local in D-6 has not been seriously challenged yet in the play-offs ( that will change this week). Minster a team with 4 losses had one close game with Crestview otherwise next closet game was 20-0. Shouldn't it be very difficult to make it to a State title game unless you have a powerhouse football team. Believe 5 divisions are more than enough for football. I know that would make it tough on small schools but play-offs should be more challenging like it is in basketball.
Someone on here said that once CB started working the public supporters would then turn on the public teams that constantly win championships. I think this is a little early but the MAC is the first target.
Old 11-28-17, 11:45 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
Why eliminate any divisions? Why not institute a rule that if a team wins their division one year, they are given the choice to move up or stay in their division the following year. If they win a second year in a row then they are required to move up one division the following year and so on. This would eliminate any sort of competitive imbalance in the current format.
First, if a teams wins a title, why would they voluntarily move up? Do they feel better if they win D4 instead of D5? Or would the coach/AD get ripped if next year the team is not quite as good and moving up denied their kids the opportunity to participate in the playoffs?

Second, the mandatory moving up was already voted down by member schools. Why? What if you have a couple of stud players lead you to a title their junior and senior years? Why should the players in future years have to pay for the success of now graduated players?

Last edited by Rangerfan; 11-28-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 12:52 PM
All District

OLDGOLD is on a distinguished road
In my mind the playoffs are to decide who is the best team. Not a chance for "kids to have success." The number of divisions is somewhat arbitrary but also obviously needed given differences in enrollment.
I would disagree with increasing the number of teams that go to the playoffs per region as a 16 seed is not going to be the best team in a division. I know some 8 seeds have won but that does not justify continued expansion to teams that stand no chance.
I disagree with separation of public/private for the same reason I opened with. The playoffs are to decide who is the best team, not the best public or best private.
Old 11-28-17, 02:37 PM
All District

BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
First, if a teams wins a title, why would they voluntarily move up? Do they feel better if they win D4 instead of D5? Or would the coach/AD get ripped if next year the team is not quite as good and moving uop denied their kids the opportunity to participate in the playoffs?

Second, the mandatory moving up was already voted down by member schools. Why? What if you have a couple of stud players lead you to a title their junior and senior years? Why should they players in future years have to pay fro the success of now graduated players?
for a challenge. to prove you are the best, not just a bully in a little playground pushing babies around.
Old 11-28-17, 04:26 PM
Junior Varsity

Today is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
In my mind the playoffs are to decide who is the best team. Not a chance for "kids to have success." The number of divisions is somewhat arbitrary but also obviously needed given differences in enrollment.
I would disagree with increasing the number of teams that go to the playoffs per region as a 16 seed is not going to be the best team in a division. I know some 8 seeds have won but that does not justify continued expansion to teams that stand no chance.
I disagree with separation of public/private for the same reason I opened with. The playoffs are to decide who is the best team, not the best public or best private.
My reasoning for shortening the season to 9 games and getting 16 teams in to every region is I am sure you would have several of these lower seeds advancing. I watched a Coldwater basketball team not reach a 500 record until they played in Columbus at the State Semifinals. I watched a Versailles volleyball team win State this year with 6 loses, probably would not have made the tourney under the football computer system. I believe competition makes everyone better, that is why without adding any additional games, or divisions, it would be nice to open up the tourney.
In the 70's and 80's they thought 4 teams was good, looking back that eliminated a lot of really good teams from having the opportunity to win a state title.
Old 11-28-17, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Today View Post
My reasoning for shortening the season to 9 games and getting 16 teams in to every region is I am sure you would have several of these lower seeds advancing. I watched a Coldwater basketball team not reach a 500 record until they played in Columbus at the State Semifinals. I watched a Versailles volleyball team win State this year with 6 loses, probably would not have made the tourney under the football computer system. I believe competition makes everyone better, that is why without adding any additional games, or divisions, it would be nice to open up the tourney.
In the 70's and 80's they thought 4 teams was good, looking back that eliminated a lot of really good teams from having the opportunity to win a state title.
8 teams is borderline too many right now. Lots & lots of first round blowouts. 16 would just increase that dramatically.
Old 11-28-17, 04:39 PM
All Region

Quote:
8 teams is borderline too many right now. Lots & lots of first round blowouts. 16 would just increase that dramatically.
Yep. Need the running clock rule effective in the first quarter for many of the 1st round games with 16 per region.
Old 11-28-17, 04:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Yep. There are no good teams who are being left out, and some not so good teams get in. Expand the field, and you are just adding more not so good to probably bad teams.
Old 11-28-17, 04:43 PM
Junior Varsity

Today is on a distinguished road
There will be blowouts, but I have watched 8 seeds beat 1 seeds by 30, so I would expect that you will have 11 and 12 seeds handily beating 4 or 5 seeds.
Old 11-28-17, 04:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Today View Post
There will be blowouts, but I have watched 8 seeds beat 1 seeds by 30, so I would expect that you will have 11 and 12 seeds handily beating 4 or 5 seeds.
A few outliers are not sufficient evidence that an expansion is necessary.