Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-26-17, 02:06 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
7 Divisions really ?

Once again it is State Championship week. Marion Local in D-6 has not been seriously challenged yet in the play-offs ( that will change this week). Minster a team with 4 losses had one close game with Crestview otherwise next closet game was 20-0. Shouldn't it be very difficult to make it to a State title game unless you have a powerhouse football team. Believe 5 divisions are more than enough for football. I know that would make it tough on small schools but play-offs should be more challenging like it is in basketball.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-17, 02:21 PM
All District

Msfootball is on a distinguished road
I agree that 7 divisions is watered down. Take Marion Local in 2014 for example. The D7 playoffs were a forgone conclusion. Marion Local had crushed D5 Coldwater who crushed Canton Central in the Finals. It almost felt like Marion Local got cheated out of a real chance to test how good they could be. Would be nice to see 5 divisions again. Six maximum
Old 11-26-17, 02:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfootball View Post
I agree that 7 divisions is watered down. Take Marion Local in 2014 for example. The D7 playoffs were a forgone conclusion. Marion Local had crushed D5 Coldwater who crushed Canton Central in the Finals. It almost felt like Marion Local got cheated out of a real chance to test how good they could be. Would be nice to see 5 divisions again. Six maximum
Trust me I am very appreciative of what ML and other small schools have accomplished with 6 and 7 divisions. However I definitely believe if their were 5 divisions this season ML and Kirtland would be playing for the D-5 title this week.
Old 11-26-17, 02:30 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You can't base a need for changes on Marion Local. They beat Chaminade Julienne by 28 in week 1....CJ is D3 and made it to week 13 before losing to Trotwood by 30. Marion Local & Kirtland aren't typical D6 teams. Heck, I read somewhere that Marion Local dresses 85 guys. You can't punish all of D6 because of a couple powerhouses
Old 11-26-17, 02:31 PM
All District

ctowner is on a distinguished road
Agree that 7 divisions is too many. Like six. Five? Think about how many fewer titles MAC would have if only five divisions. IMO.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-17, 02:34 PM
Varsity

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
You can say watered down....or, you can say "same number of teams" in each Division. (Except DI)

Take your 1 team out of D6 or D7 and do you feel the same way?
Old 11-26-17, 02:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctowner View Post
Agree that 7 divisions is too many. Like six. Five? Think about how many fewer titles MAC would have if only five divisions. IMO.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
True MAC would have fewer Championships but play-offs games would be much more competitive.
Old 11-26-17, 02:48 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Tough to argue that the football playoffs in Ohio are "watered down" when football is the only sport in Ohio high school sports in which all team DON'T make the playoffs....
Old 11-26-17, 02:52 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Should be two three divisions
AAA Mentor vs PC
AA Trotwood vs Steubenville
A Marion Local vs Kirtland
Old 11-26-17, 02:55 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
You can't base a need for changes on Marion Local. They beat Chaminade Julienne by 28 in week 1....CJ is D3 and made it to week 13 before losing to Trotwood by 30. Marion Local & Kirtland aren't typical D6 teams. Heck, I read somewhere that Marion Local dresses 85 guys. You can't punish all of D6 because of a couple powerhouses
It is not just ML, Coldwater has also steamrolled in the play-offs and the MAC has dominated NW Ohio, it should be more competitive IMO.
Old 11-26-17, 02:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Should be two three divisions
AAA Mentor vs PC
AA Trotwood vs Steubenville
A Marion Local vs Kirtland
I think 4 like basketball. Make that 5.
Old 11-26-17, 02:58 PM
All Region

big medicine is on a distinguished road
One thing to remember about too many watered down divisions, it was not the small schools calling for increasing divisions. It was the " small " DI schools saying they could not compete with the big boys.
Old 11-26-17, 03:34 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by big medicine View Post
One thing to remember about too many watered down divisions, it was not the small schools calling for increasing divisions. It was the " small " DI schools saying they could not compete with the big boys.
Because the difference between the biggest D1 and smallest Di was 3x the enrollment. 3x. How many other divisions can say the same?
Old 11-26-17, 03:50 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
It is not just ML, Coldwater has also steamrolled in the play-offs and the MAC has dominated NW Ohio, it should be more competitive IMO.
It's not like they are dominating because the rest of NW Ohio is bad...it's because the MAC are just that good. They would dominate no matter what region they are in, just like it happens once the playoffs get started. How about taking the MAC schools and moving them around the state. Let's put Coldwater in the far NW corner, we'll leave Marion Local in the Southwest, put Minster in the Southeast....and put them in the same division with Kirtland. Those 4 would make it to the Final 4 every year and nobody else would get to play. the MAC had 5 teams in the playoffs in 3 divisions. Heck, if the MAC teams were spread apart, they might get the entire league into the postseason
Old 11-26-17, 04:02 PM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeau fields View Post
because the difference between the biggest d1 and smallest di was 3x the enrollment. 3x. How many other divisions can say the same?
d7
Old 11-26-17, 04:09 PM
All District

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
It's really easy for those who have nothing to do with the game to say that there are too many divisions. 7 divisions hurts noone and quite frankly doesn't water down anything. As populations in certain areas of tge state decline you need the 2 smaller divisions in order for those communities to have something to play for. And before everyone starts with the "D7 doesn't mean anything", stop. Go tell the players, coaches, families and communities of Minster and Cuyahoga Heights that their game is meaningless. Even D6 for that matter.
Old 11-26-17, 04:29 PM
All Region

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in a mostly rural area. Over the last 20+ years area schools have fluctuated between D4, 5, 6 and 7, with one school closing and another being reduced to 8-man this year. Quite frankly, D1, 2 and for the most part D3 are just other divisions in the state. Couldn't care less about them for the most part.
Old 11-26-17, 04:49 PM
All World

Flood is on a distinguished road
7 Divisions is a complete joke. Let's just make it 21 divisions. What's the difference?
Division 7 champ...right...
Old 11-26-17, 05:15 PM
All Region

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
21 divisions wouldn't work, however 10 would. That way each division could have as many teams in their division as D1.
Old 11-26-17, 05:21 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
7 Divisions is a complete joke. Let's just make it 21 divisions. What's the difference?
I agree! and 14 weightclasses in wrestling is way too many. Let's just have 3 wrestling champions! And why do track runners have all those damn distances anyway...100,200,400,800,mile,2mile...blah, blah, blah. You're either fast or slow. Just a 100 and a mile should do it. Don't even get me started on swimming different distances AND strokes!
Bah humbug! I'm against anything that gives more kids success!
Old 11-26-17, 05:22 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Separate Tournaments!!! 1 Open, 4 public, and 2 private
Old 11-26-17, 05:48 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
I agree! and 14 weightclasses in wrestling is way too many. Let's just have 3 wrestling champions! And why do track runners have all those damn distances anyway...100,200,400,800,mile,2mile...blah, blah, blah. You're either fast or slow. Just a 100 and a mile should do it. Don't even get me started on swimming different distances AND strokes!
Old 11-26-17, 06:14 PM
All District

bsee54321 is on a distinguished road
Do not want to bring it up but Football is the OHSAA cash cow so I doubt we will ever see less than 7 divisions. That's 14 schools playing for state Championships and 28 schools in the State Semi-Finals and so on to 224 in the playoffs. And the price will never go below $9 unless you buy presale. OHSAA has to make their money.

What I hear will be next is every school makes the playoffs with week 10 being the 1st week of high school playoffs. The regions will be broken down to 4 or 8 districts in each Region.
Old 11-26-17, 07:08 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Its usually people like this who have never actually won anything in their lifetime. Never understood what it means to work towards a goal and be able to achieve it. Its a lot easier to sit in the stands and behind a keyboard and b*itch about how 7 divisions offends them.
Old 11-26-17, 07:09 PM
All District

Quote:
Amen
Old 11-26-17, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Sounds like someone who never had to make a decision. Your retort probably better hashed out on the wrestling and track forums, this one is discussion of where to set the line in football.

It seems arbitrary to a certain degree and logistics to another. No one (yet) claimed there was a definitive science and besides yourself, I don't think anyone is seeing division alignments equitable to "success." If it is, as someone has already snarked lets make it 21 divisions or whatever it would take so everyone could be in an eight team play-off for a "state championship."

It's a legit discusion. I think I'd be more interested in which alignment reduces travels times and costs than basing it on some "optimal" number of champions. There are costs to more divisions I would have to imagine and with smaller and smaller crowds, it could become a cost issue. Isn't the bigger issue how the championships are run than the number of divisions? Michigan runs 8 games, one venue, one Saturday or something like that, don't they? They don't have much reason to complain about number of divisions it seems.
Old 11-27-17, 12:14 AM
All Ohio

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
I don't mind 7 divisions. If we dial it back to 6 divisions, it'll be because rounds of school consolidations have happened.
Old 11-27-17, 06:42 AM
All District

Down The Road is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's too bad those teams that feel like they are not getting challenged could not have the opportunity to play up a division or 2 if they chose to. That would also let teams and programs in their region that are left every year to wonder what it would be like with out at MAC or perennial powerhouse in the region get a feel for the next level and some new blood in the state semi's. If there was a way to do it that would not get manipulated I think sorting teams by roster size in the 3 smallest divisions would create a truly competitive playing field. I do realize the pitfalls of that, but in a perfect world......
Old 11-27-17, 06:52 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Going to 8 when they add 8-Man

I have no problem with the divisions
Old 11-27-17, 07:10 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down The Road View Post
It's too bad those teams that feel like they are not getting challenged could not have the opportunity to play up a division or 2 if they chose to. That would also let teams and programs in their region that are left every year to wonder what it would be like with out at MAC or perennial powerhouse in the region get a feel for the next level and some new blood in the state semi's. If there was a way to do it that would not get manipulated I think sorting teams by roster size in the 3 smallest divisions would create a truly competitive playing field. I do realize the pitfalls of that, but in a perfect world......
Thinking that schools would choose to play up a division to challenge themselves is a fantasy. That would be like Amazon saying, "This business is getting too easy. I think we'll raise what we pay to our suppliers to make it more challenging."

What you might see is schools moving up if they felt the higher division is easier (such as schools fleeing division six to avoid Marion Local).