Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Winton Woods by 17+ 10 7.46%
Winton Woods by 8-16 32 23.88%
Winton Woods by 1-7 24 17.91%
Hoban by 1-7 21 15.67%
Hoban by 8-16 28 20.90%
Hoban by 17+ 19 14.18%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-17, 08:52 PM
Varsity

ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
From what I have heard he should be a sophomore or junior academically. Was held back at least 1 year. He is either 16 or 17 years old depending on who you talk to or believe.
If you're an OSU fan I'd watch prior to casting stones. Tate Martell was held back a year, as was Jimmy Clausen and many other college players. Just to put some perspective prior to just stating things cause it's Hoban.
Old 11-25-17, 09:56 PM
All District

dhoya82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
He's a really poised kid, and far exceeded my own expectations this year. They trusted him more and more as the season went on, and he threw 24 TD's to break the school record. He throws a very crisp, accurate intermediate ball, and can make a nice throw over the top if you press up too much. Tough runner, too. They've been very run heavy in the playoffs, throwing only a handful of passes in each game. Toughest D he faced was Iggy in week 1, but he was so green at that point, they really didn't ask him to do much at all.
This becomes interesting then. And this is strictly hypothetical and theoretical comparison because ultimately the game has to be played on the field. If St. Ig was the best defense you say that he faced and that was Hoban's first game of the year and a loss for Hoban, then in theory, St. Ig's defense should have improved. WW and St. Ig had a shared opponent, Moeller. St. Ig took a substantial loss to St. Ig. Where as WW handed Moeller a substantial loss. I know that these comparisons don't necessarily hold any truth or water, but it is an interesting observation.
Old 11-25-17, 10:08 PM
All Region

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoya82 View Post
This becomes interesting then. And this is strictly hypothetical and theoretical comparison because ultimately the game has to be played on the field. If St. Ig was the best defense you say that he faced and that was Hoban's first game of the year and a loss for Hoban, then in theory, St. Ig's defense should have improved. WW and St. Ig had a shared opponent, Moeller. St. Ig took a substantial loss to St. Ig. Where as WW handed Moeller a substantial loss. I know that these comparisons don't necessarily hold any truth or water, but it is an interesting observation.
I don't think those games mean anything, those teams play such a gauntlet that Iggy just happened to lay an egg that day. They also beat Elder, who was WW only loss. Hoban doesn't resemble their week 1 team at all, as they also had 2 new starters on the line, 2 new RB's, and the frosh QB. They really weren't ready for a team like Iggy at that point, at least offensively. It was week 5/6 where they noticeably started their ascension to the current version of themselves.
Old 11-25-17, 10:29 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
One thing for sure: Winton Woods will win halftime.
Old 11-25-17, 10:33 PM
All District

Quote:
I don't think those games mean anything, those teams play such a gauntlet that Iggy just happened to lay an egg that day. They also beat Elder, who was WW only loss. Hoban doesn't resemble their week 1 team at all, as they also had 2 new starters on the line, 2 new RB's, and the frosh QB. They really weren't ready for a team like Iggy at that point, at least offensively. It was week 5/6 where they noticeably started their ascension to the current version of themselves.
Those games mean everything for Harbin ratings and getting both these teams to where they will be on Thursday.
Old 11-25-17, 10:54 PM
Varsity

sporty2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
From what I have heard he should be a sophomore or junior academically. Was held back at least 1 year. He is either 16 or 17 years old depending on who you talk to or believe.
Hoban is starting a campaign called the "you mad bro?" campaign. We are going to have to get you a T shirt in the mail......17 year old freshman? How about you proof read and put some thought in your post before you put it up. STV people love them some Hoban. Please comment on the didn't even deserve to be in the state semi final and we lost thread.
Old 11-25-17, 11:02 PM
All Region

Quote:
Those games mean everything for Harbin ratings and getting both these teams to where they will be on Thursday.
I meant they don't mean anything when trying to gauge how these 2 teams match up.
Old 11-26-17, 02:18 AM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor.Klump View Post
How do you figure?? I think we played this week every year since 2010, beat you guys a few times. Not sure how WW works harder, and is better coach since this is WW first playoff appearance since 2013. Get off our we lost to glorify AAU team. Anybody that beats us 30-0 is loaded, I believe they would have beat just about anybody that day, yes they were that good!

RAMNATION ALMIGHTY
I'm not the one that is on your D! We are a different team than TM. I was getting tired of the comparison. TM does there thing every year. Don't care to hear about them though. I think WW plays TM next year. I will worry about that then. Not on your D!!! Lol.
Old 11-26-17, 07:53 AM
All Ohio

The Veer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akron Old Timer View Post
Nope, not a hurt fan by any stretch. As I said earlier, I don't have a dog in the fight. The only team that was able to somewhat handle Hoban's O and D line was Iggy, and I think Hoban is a much better team than they were back in week 1. No team has been able to handle their d-line and linebacking core. Their o-line is big, strong and athletic and they have athletes all over the field who can make plays. I hope what you're saying is true. I just want to enjoy a good championship game. Don't want to see a butt-kicking on either side.
That's fair. Can you tell me who was able to handle WW line and linebacking core? There 1 loss was a closer game than Iggy and Hoban, yet as you said that was Hobans first game and the team has grown. How did Hoban fair against other top D1 teams? Well those were non existent on the schedule. In there lone loss WW missed an EP in OT in a hard fought game that would have tied it and they also handled a team that handled Iggy.

I watched both teams in person and feel the linebacking core for WW may be the best in the state and a notch above Hoban. Comparing schedules, WW faced a tougher road (#2 SOS vs #10 for Hoban) and have been better tested against stiffer competition.

I'm thinking this could be one of the better championship games next week. You on the other hand predicted a "Thrashing" by Hoban... So I ask again how many points are you giving me to take WW??? Im in the Akron area as well, we can decide on a place to meet up so the winner can collect, that is if an Old Timer can back his mouth with cash?

I never predicted a blowout by either side but I do like WW in a damn good battle. Great week for Ohio football and some banter.
Old 11-26-17, 08:31 AM
All American

rip_JackTatum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, a 17 yr old frosh would be quite the story, if it were true. The kid is 15, he'll turn 16 during his freshman school year.
Not many 9th graders can DRIVE to school if they wish.
Old 11-26-17, 08:46 AM
Freshman

Akron Old Timer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Veer View Post
That's fair. Can you tell me who was able to handle WW line and linebacking core? There 1 loss was a closer game than Iggy and Hoban, yet as you said that was Hobans first game and the team has grown. How did Hoban fair against other top D1 teams? Well those were non existent on the schedule. In there lone loss WW missed an EP in OT in a hard fought game that would have tied it and they also handled a team that handled Iggy.

I watched both teams in person and feel the linebacking core for WW may be the best in the state and a notch above Hoban. Comparing schedules, WW faced a tougher road (#2 SOS vs #10 for Hoban) and have been better tested against stiffer competition.

I'm thinking this could be one of the better championship games next week. You on the other hand predicted a "Thrashing" by Hoban... So I ask again how many points are you giving me to take WW??? Im in the Akron area as well, we can decide on a place to meet up so the winner can collect, that is if an Old Timer can back his mouth with cash?

I never predicted a blowout by either side but I do like WW in a damn good battle. Great week for Ohio football and some banter.
Never guaranteed a Hoban thrashing. I am not a Hoban fan; I have seen them dismantle exceptional teams on their road to the State title game. If every thing you say about WW is true then I will enjoy a good contest Thursday evening. As far as betting on the game. I don't gamble. Good luck to both teams.
Old 11-26-17, 12:01 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I hate to speak in cliches, but this game will be won in the trenches. I see the most important matchup as Hoban's offensive line versus WW's front defensive seven. If WW can neutralize that line, something no team has done since Ignatius, I like their chances. Otherwise, I see Hoban grinding away with Dickerson and Trayanum all night.

Good luck to both teams. May they come out of the game injury free and without regrets.
Old 11-26-17, 12:21 PM
Freshman

Akron Old Timer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I hate to speak in cliches, but this game will be won in the trenches. I see the most important matchup as Hoban's offensive line versus WW's front defensive seven. If WW can neutralize that line, something no team has done since Ignatius, I like their chances. Otherwise, I see Hoban grinding away with Dickerson and Trayanum all night.

Good luck to both teams. May they come out of the game injury free and without regrets.
Ditto If WW can force Hoban to move away from the run game then all bets are off, but that is a huge "IF"
Old 11-26-17, 12:47 PM
All World

The Final Say is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
All you guys stop comparing WW to Trotwood. WW is much better coached and they work tremendously harder especially during the off season. WW also plays a tougher schedule. Looking foward to a good game! I will have a prediction later this week. Don't like the fact that WW has to play on a Thursday night. That is a quick turn around and will definetly cause WW to change there regular schedule.
What? You also hold a losing record against that Trotwood team you work so much harder than and have better coaching than. You have a tougher schedule because you're an independent. Welcome back to the conversation and good luck against Hoban.
Old 11-26-17, 12:49 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Did the Clark kid land back at Hoban?
Old 11-26-17, 01:00 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post

So is there the expectation then, which is implied, that Hoban's front 7 will dominate WW offensive line? That was not mentioned.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-17, 01:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
So is there the expectation then, which is implied, that Hoban's front 7 will dominate WW offensive line? That was not mentioned.

I wouldn't expect either side of the ball on either team to dominate the other all night. I think they'll both have their moments where they have some offensive success, but struggle at times as well. It could be as simple as turnovers and discipline. If one team gets loose with the ball or commits too many penalties, that could be it.
Old 11-26-17, 01:34 PM
Varsity

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Did the Clark kid land back at Hoban?
He did
Old 11-26-17, 02:09 PM
All District

What is expected concerning Hoban's special teams?
Old 11-26-17, 02:53 PM
All American

mrsimp06 is on a distinguished road
I get the feeling that Hoban faithful thinks they can grind the Warriors to dust with their run game, this is going to be interesting.
Old 11-26-17, 02:59 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimp06 View Post
I get the feeling that Hoban faithful thinks they can grind the Warriors to dust with their run game, this is going to be interesting.
I thought I was the only one thinking that too. I see no talk of Hoban's defense or special teams. And what if they have to depend on them in a clutch.
Old 11-26-17, 03:00 PM
All Ohio

SECfb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Hey, maybe they got a running back like Mister Simpson.
Old 11-26-17, 03:07 PM
All American

mrsimp06 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECfb View Post
Hey, maybe they got a running back like Mister Simpson.
Ahhh or maybe Hosea Simpson
Old 11-26-17, 03:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Not at all. I haven't seen WW enough to make such an assumption.
Old 11-26-17, 03:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Hoban posters are not short on confidence.
Old 11-26-17, 03:22 PM
All Region

Quote:
Those are your words, I haven't seen anybody say that on here. Hoban's identity on offense is the run game, and they'll stick with it no matter how tough the sledding. If WW can shut it down, they'll have the upper hand. They have plenty of faith in their D, it's been the backbone for 3 seasons now. A lot of guys back from the D that shutout Trotwood in the final last year. They're not infallible, but they have a lot of speed and a knack for forcing turnovers. Special teams are solid, kicker is pretty reliable up to 45 yds, and the punt returners are dangerous if given the opportunity. They've played a lot of young guys on their coverage units this year, but I'm sure they'll play more starters this week, as I know WW's returner can be lethal.
Old 11-26-17, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

LTrain65
Make sure Hoban kicks it to WW every time.
Old 11-26-17, 03:28 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh just a reminder Lasalle won 3 D2 state titles in a row and Woods did not.Uh good luck next year after Woods loses 9 starters from the defense and 4 starters from the offense including the all-district QB and your best o-lineman. Uh, Moeller, Elder, and Lasalle are all waiting, plus the other schools you guys rolled the score up on this season.
Shut up
Old 11-26-17, 03:32 PM
Freshman

warriordude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv View Post
Shut up
Woods future is very bright they jus reload

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-17, 04:08 PM
All Region

PeterDragon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ahhh or maybe Hosea Simpson
There's a name from the past. I remember he had like a 400 something yard game as a Sophomore.