Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Mentor by 17+ 8 6.96%
Mentor by 8-16 15 13.04%
Mentor by 1-7 33 28.70%
Pickerington Central by 1-7 25 21.74%
Pickerington Central by 8-16 32 27.83%
Pickerington Central by 17+ 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-17, 06:00 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvftball View Post
The way I see it is Harry everybody outside of Central love to discredit The OCC. Me and you know that the OCC is the BEST CONFERENCE in the State of Ohio sport by sport. There is always an OCC team in every Final Four in just about every sport both Girls and Boys. What other conference in the state does that?

With that being said PC by 13.

There are a milllion teams in the occ from what I remember. Isn't there like 32 teams ?

And the way the brackets are made it's pretty hard not to have a Columbus school assured of making the final 4 in most sports.

On top of that there are no big private schools in Columbus D1. Easier road.

None of you guys travel out of conference too so it's hard for people to judge. Mentor has tried with many Columbus publics in football. Always get turned down. Pick Central in fact just turned down mentor again

So getting to the final 4 with that setup isn't a good example. And I think it's more not knowing the teams while also seeing their easier road to advance with no privates

People still respect schools like hd and pc in football. Because they have beaten teams outside of Cbus too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-17, 06:25 AM
All Region

Picktowncentral is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
There are a milllion teams in the occ from what I remember. Isn't there like 32 teams ?

And the way the brackets are made it's pretty hard not to have a Columbus school assured of making the final 4 in most sports.

On top of that there are no big private schools in Columbus D1. Easier road.

None of you guys travel out of conference too so it's hard for people to judge. Mentor has tried with many Columbus publics in football. Always get turned down. Pick Central in fact just turned down mentor again

So getting to the final 4 with that setup isn't a good example. And I think it's more not knowing the teams while also seeing their easier road to advance with no privates

People still respect schools like hd and pc in football. Because they have beaten teams outside of Cbus too

Dude what? You just lost all credibility in my mind.... Talk about not knowing your opponent!
Old 11-27-17, 06:32 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
yes only a team or two has ever beaten anyone outsode of Central Ohio ? Give us proof of Mentor wanting to play Central Ohio teams ? Please details .

You beat a team by six points in an even snap for snap game that lost a couple badly and had a few close calls in Central Ohio including being down 18 in the 4th quarter of a win and a three point win vs. a non play-off team , but the competition is so much more arduous in Northeast Ohio ? AHH not really , sorry your stance of superiority because you have two Catholics doesn't cut it , I think it will be a competitive game but you alone is a reason for many neutral observers to want to see Mentor get manhandled up front and lose convincingly .

Did he ever have credibility ? he lives at home as a 34 year old.
Old 11-27-17, 07:06 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
If Columbus metro area is known for not traveling much, it's likely because they don't have to. Lots of big schools surrounding the city, not difficult to fill the limited non-conference slots.
Old 11-27-17, 07:06 AM
All Yappi

D I State Championship: Mentor (13-1) vs Pickerington Central (13-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picktowncentral View Post
Dude what? You just lost all credibility in my mind.... Talk about not knowing your opponent!

I said pc has beaten teams out of central Ohio. But a lot don't leave Columbus or areas near

Harry go ahead and email the pick Central ad and ask. I'd have no reason to lie. And I never said it was a negative to want to stay local in this case. Just giving an example. And pc actually does travel more than most Cbus publics too

And if any of your occ teams will play mentor in football just call. We are always looking for new opportunities. We have olentangy Liberty in basketball this coming weekend. But in football we struggle to schedule. We'd gladly play more Cbus teams

Also I never said bad things about pc or hd. And only you are reading my thoughts as cocky because you have a screw loose

I never said anything about them being scared. Could be other reasons not to travel. But I was saying that's why people don't recognize many of these schools til they do it statewide like pc and hd.

I saw Dublin Coffman up here once. To play the d3 school down the road ... tell your ad to schedule a home and home with us Harry. We'd love to get into Cbus and see many new teams

Your bogus personal shots you throw in are laughable too And just a lil earlier you said you only talked about me once or twice all year. You've said bogus stuff like that many times and you know it

Ps: To say the occ is the best because they get a final 4 team in most years in many sports is flawed logic. That's not smack talk. It's common sense.

In most brackets a Columbus team is virtually guaranteed to get into the final 4 in each sport for each division. And you have 31 teams compared to normal leagues which have 8.

That's just rational thoughts. Not smack

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 11-27-17 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-27-17, 08:22 AM
Varsity

menfan is on a distinguished road
Good news on McDougal playing Friday. I would have felt terrible for him if he hadn't gotten a chance to play his final game. He really deserves it. I think he will make a difference. This should be a great final.
Old 11-27-17, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

His dad is crazy with his cheering too. Was cracking me up at the last game. Glad he will get to see Eli play one last time in high school

Old 11-27-17, 10:00 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
It makes me wonder about McDougal. His ankle wasn't healthy enough to play after a week removed from the injury. But tomorrow he is going to practice? I don't know. Maybe he was like 50-60% on the ankle on Friday and expects to be 70-80% this Friday. Even though Triv said he expects McDougal to practice on Tuesday, I would think he would give the senior as much time off the ankle as possible. We need him as close to 100% as possible.

Either way, the passing game has to be clicking this week. As previously stated, PC has a lot of college talent in their defensive backfield. They know how to force turnovers and Tataruans has thrown a lot of interceptions this year in the biggest games. The running game (barring a miraculous full recovery for McDougal) is not consistent enough. Edmond and Saj are fine backs, but just don't have enough size, strength, or speed to be difference makers against a talented defense. Tatarunas will certainly get his chance to hurt PC with his feet. But the passing game will need to be extremely sharp in order to pull this one out. I'm not counting on a fully healthy McDougal to bail the team out. But if he is, that will be fantastic.
Old 11-27-17, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

It does seem like we are snakebitten with key injuries at the worst times. Fritts late in a playoff year was killer too

I too would feel a lot better if Eli is 100 percent. He changes the whole offense. Opens it up completely.

Like we talked about before , if he doesn't play I'd be amazed if they could win. Not saying it's impossible. But we just aren't deep enough to be the same without him or tadas or a few wr on the team this year

Old 11-27-17, 01:57 PM
All Region

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickeringtonsports View Post
I try to watch 4-6 games and analyze all of the stats before I make a projection. So far, every playoff game has gone as expected. Every team had fans/parents that were confident they were going to run Central off the field. Northmont had too much speed and their tough GWOC schedule had prepared them for better teams than Central. I think we had a rolling clock and the JV gave up a couple of late scores. Bradley much of the same. Their receivers would be to athletic for Central and their front 7 would shut Central down. Result, pretty much the same as Northmont although Bradley was better. Then came North, the 2nd best D1 team in the state. We overwhelmed them and they quit before the game ended. The Colerain, the Fullback was going to run all over Central, QB finally healthy, yada yada yada. Game wasnít really close but they were better than all of the other playoff teams except Pick North. The reality is that none of these games were really close. We will see what Mentor has.
Best post I've seen
Old 11-27-17, 03:13 PM
Varsity

menfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTigerTrackCoach View Post
Best post I've seen
I try to watch 4-6 games and analyze all of the stats before I make a projection. So far, every playoff game has gone as expected. Every team had fans/parents that were confident they were going to run Central off the field. Northmont had too much speed and their tough GWOC schedule had prepared them for better teams than Central. I think we had a rolling clock and the JV gave up a couple of late scores. Bradley much of the same. Their receivers would be to athletic for Central and their front 7 would shut Central down. Result, pretty much the same as Northmont although Bradley was better. Then came North, the 2nd best D1 team in the state. We overwhelmed them and they quit before the game ended. The Colerain, the Fullback was going to run all over Central, QB finally healthy, yada yada yada. Game wasnít really close but they were better than all of the other playoff teams except Pick North. The reality is that none of these games were really close. We will see what Mentor has.

It looks like both PC and Mentor have heard the same thing. We couldn't beat Ignatius or Eds and Liberty was too athletic etc. for us. Considering we have no idea on how this game will go or who is the better team I guess we'll just have to continue to discuss each team in terms of how they've played other teams and see how that matters when we play each other....it doesn't by the way. Both teams are obviously good and playing their best football of the year. I kind of think that like most games it will be won or lost in the trenches...can one team bend the will of the other at the line of scrimmage.

With that being said no way was I so optimistic this year that I ever imagined Mentor would be in this game. Go Cards, make us proud!
Old 11-27-17, 03:44 PM
All District

Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by menfan View Post

It looks like both PC and Mentor have heard the same thing. We couldn't beat Ignatius or Eds and Liberty was too athletic etc. for us. Considering we have no idea on how this game will go or who is the better team I guess we'll just have to continue to discuss each team in terms of how they've played other teams and see how that matters when we play each other....it doesn't by the way. Both teams are obviously good and playing their best football of the year. I kind of think that like most games it will be won or lost in the trenches...can one team bend the will of the other at the line of scrimmage.

With that being said no way was I so optimistic this year that I ever imagined Mentor would be in this game. Go Cards, make us proud!
Yes, and most of us are biased because we have spent the last 14 weeks watching our respective teams win. That is why these game threads are all the same. I donít think itís an insult to think your team is going to win. Honestly, at this point you should be confident. That is one reason I like to watch a lot of games before I really start yapping.

It is always informative to hear who are the key players to watch and who are the high level recruits. So if any Cardinals would be interested in posting that information, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-27-17, 04:23 PM
Varsity

AmpipeBDogs is on a distinguished road
It would be great for NEO if a public school won the D1 state title. Making the final game is a great accomplishment but it's time for Mentor to win it. With Mcdougal and by limiting costly turnovers, the Cardinals can do it.
Old 11-27-17, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

We don't have many high level recruits. Just one oline guy Jacoby and 1 dline guy Potter are getting big time offers. Don't know that anyone else has been offered Those are the 2 juniors.

Old 11-27-17, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
We don't have many high level recruits. Just one oline guy Jacoby and 1 dline guy Potter are getting big time offers. Don't know that anyone else has been offered Those are the 2 juniors.

what about the QB?

granted, he doesn't look nearly the player Trubisky was, but at his size he must be getting D1 looks?
Old 11-27-17, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpipeBDogs View Post
It would be great for NEO if a public school won the D1 state title. Making the final game is a great accomplishment but it's time for Mentor to win it. With Mcdougal and by limiting costly turnovers, the Cardinals can do it.
why would it great for Northeast Ohio?
Old 11-27-17, 06:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
what about the QB?

granted, he doesn't look nearly the player Trubisky was, but at his size he must be getting D1 looks?

Just fcs Robert Morris so far

Old 11-27-17, 07:50 PM
All Region

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by menfan View Post

Honestly I thought we would blow out Northmont easily, Hilliard Bradley and Pick North. Pick North was going to be our toughest game in our region. Colerain looked good on film but a one dimensional offense will never beat this team. Mentor is a very good and very sound team with an exceptional QB, but he'll be the third great Qb we've seen in the last 4 games but he doesn't have the athlete's the previous 2 had in my opinion and he will suffer the same fate as J Stewart and Jimmy Football...... This defense is FAST, FEROCIOUS AND PHYSICAL and it's going to be a long night for the qb.... I'd be surprised if it's close and that's not a knock on Mentor, just confident in the kids I've watched excel since they were 5 years old
Old 11-28-17, 01:27 AM
Varsity

Impalaman
Those saying that Central should have no problem with Mentor are downplaying the significance of Mentor beating Ignatius and Ed’s in back to back weeks. It’s possible that Central could blow out Mentor, but what Mentor has done would the equivalent of an AFC team beating the Patriots and Steelers on their way to the Super Bowl, but people saying they don’t have a chance because they had a tough time with a third playoff opponent who wasn’t that good and barely made the playoffs.

Last edited by Impalaman; 11-28-17 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-28-17, 06:43 AM
Varsity

AmpipeBDogs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
why would it great for Northeast Ohio?
Because a NEO D1 public hasn't won it since Warren Harding in 1990. Also, some of the local public school supporters have proclaimed for years that a D1 public could never win it because of Ignatius and Eds in the region.

Actually, a public winning D1 is good for Ohio, IMO.

Last edited by AmpipeBDogs; 11-28-17 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-28-17, 06:54 AM
All Ohio

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impalaman View Post
Those saying that Central should have no problem with Mentor are downplaying the significance of Mentor beating Ignatius and Edís in back to back weeks. Itís possible that Central could blow out Mentor, but what Mentor has done would the equivalent of an AFC team beating the Patriots and Steelers on their way to the Super Bowl, but people saying they donít have a chance because they had a tough time with a third playoff opponent who wasnít that good and barely made the playoffs.
I don't think a single person said Mentor "has no chance". Believe me Central is preparing for the team who has made it to the final and that team is Mentor. Total respect and credit for this opponent.
Old 11-28-17, 08:01 AM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Have seen both teams play and while anything can happen in HS football, I would be very surprised if PC does not win comfortably. I know Mentor fans think the Ed's and Iggy wins mean something going forward but PC is the best team they will face by a good bit. PC is extremly physical and has very good skill. I don't see how Mentor holds up. They could not run the ball on Liberty and it is not because they lacked a back. The QB is a good player but the passing game is not super sophisticated. Mentor is a good team and certainly playing well but I believe they need a bit of luck to win. Just a neutral view and good luck to both.
Old 11-28-17, 09:20 AM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTiger View Post
I don't think a single person said Mentor "has no chance". Believe me Central is preparing for the team who has made it to the final and that team is Mentor. Total respect and credit for this opponent.
I know the kids are preparing for a tough opponent but quite a few PC fans on here are expecting a blowout. ProV1 is tossing out the St. wins in Region 1 as inferior opponents. I was looking forward to a nice competitive game with no real desire for a winner. The more cockiness I see from the usual PC fans, the more I am rooting for Mentor to win.
Old 11-28-17, 09:28 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Love the swagger in PickTown. There aren't enough styrofoam cups and homemade signs to decorate the town adequately.
Old 11-28-17, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes: 32 Teams / split into 5 Divisions (or sub-conferences)

Division - # of schools
Buckeye - 6
Ohio - 6
Central - 6
Capital - 6
Cardinal - 8

Every few years they realign and some schools will shift to a different division.

:>---

Connected in so many ways!!!
Old 11-28-17, 09:43 AM
All Region

Picktowncentral is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
I know the kids are preparing for a tough opponent but quite a few PC fans on here are expecting a blowout. ProV1 is tossing out the St. wins in Region 1 as inferior opponents. I was looking forward to a nice competitive game with no real desire for a winner. The more cockiness I see from the usual PC fans, the more I am rooting for Mentor to win.
Now you know how everyone feels when they play Dayton Wayne...
Old 11-28-17, 09:45 AM
All Ohio

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
V1 did start out by saying "anything can happen". PC has a bit of "swagger" on the field and it seems some of our posters do also. I will say this team has many of the ingredients it takes to win it all. They are senior heavy, they are powerful in the trenches, they have a large strong QB who is calm under pressure. Their "D" is relentless and quick. They have a great coaching staff. They were knocked out of the semi's last year by a very questionable offensive PI call. They are hungry.......I'm sure Mentor has many of the same attributes and feels equally confident. Our team will not be over-confident. I promise.
Old 11-28-17, 09:47 AM
All District

TVDAWGS32 is on a distinguished road
I would love to see a Central Ohio team bring a title back. Like it or not, Ohio football hotspots are considered to be up North or down South. Those are considered football country with all the "great" teams coming from those areas. I do not have a dog in this fight, but would love to see PC win it. It wasn't too long ago when Coach White was bringing home the hardware, so Columbus and Central Ohio has some good teams also.
Old 11-28-17, 09:47 AM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
D I State Championship: Mentor (13-1) vs Pickerington Central (13-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picktowncentral View Post
Now you know how everyone feels when they play Dayton Wayne...

Please...Dayton Wayne doesnít have the smack talkers that Reynoldsburg-Pickerington Central has.

Last edited by Warrior78; 11-28-17 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 10:24 AM
Varsity

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
mentor 34-24