Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Mentor by 17+ 8 6.96%
Mentor by 8-16 15 13.04%
Mentor by 1-7 33 28.70%
Pickerington Central by 1-7 25 21.74%
Pickerington Central by 8-16 32 27.83%
Pickerington Central by 17+ 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-17, 11:36 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
If Pick Central wins D1 does that mean Trotwood is the best team in the state this year.
Old 11-25-17, 11:36 AM
Varsity

AmpipeBDogs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Mentor runs the wing t to orrfection.
It wasn't funny the first time you posted.

Mentor can win this game, but they may have to open up the offense if Mcdougal can't go.
Old 11-25-17, 11:40 AM
All American

darbydavidsonfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
If Pick Central wins D1 does that mean Trotwood is the best team in the state this year.
Mentor lost to St Ignatius week 2, then beat them in rematch week 13. No guarantee Trotwood would win rematch with Pick Central, even though they won week 3.

I doubt Pickerington Central cares anyway. They just want the D1 state title. That’s more important to them than worrying about a week 3 loss.
Old 11-25-17, 11:43 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post
I dont get how Mentor fans are expecting this tailback to go from so hurt he's not able to play to 100% effective in a week. You people have obviously never had an ankle injury that requires a walking boot.

Sure, he might play, but expecting anywhere near 100% effectiveness if his injury was that serious is some pretty ingorant homerism.

As has already been mentioned, the defense PC brings will be far different than what they just saw vs Liberty. They will be bringing the heat and have several D1 athletes in the LB and secondary who will be providing much better coverage than they faced last week. Mentor will not have the same consistent success throwing the ball, that much is certain.

Other than the 2 DL Mentor has who were very good last night, I saw nothing spectacular on defense from them. Liberty receivers were getting open and making plays. PC has even better athletes and a QB who is a very dangerous runner, so they should have some success. PC should win this game by a couple scores.
If you've ever had even a minor ankle injury, you'll also realize how important it is to not keep aggravating it if you want it to get better in 2 weeks

Triv has been down this road many times. I can totally see him looking at the semis and the two potential Finals opponents, and being willing to gamble without MacDougall yesterday to have him closer to 100% next week.
Old 11-25-17, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Lotr tell us for the 56trd time how much better Colerain is but lost because of second half turnovers ? you haven't made that clear enough
I've always thought you were a better poster then one that needed to fabricate what other posters said Harrycrane. I NEVER said Colerain was the better team last night that only lost because of the TO's. But only someone totally ignorant of football wouldn't view a FIVE turnover second half as being the single most important factor contributing to the final score.

And the only other thing I've harped on is that while it's true that forcing TO's is a sign of a good & aggressive defense it's equally true that committing turnover's is a sign of an offense being careless with the ball. Both things are simultaneously possible.
Old 11-25-17, 11:48 AM
All Region

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Trotwood is definitely in the discussion..... If they win it all.... I don't think Central has played a better team than Trotwood this season
Old 11-25-17, 12:10 PM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnian View Post
Mentorís defense has really impressed me in the playoffs and normally thatís an Achilles heel for them. I know thereís some certain prominent Mentor posters who has echoed this over the yearís on here lol. Itís really tough to run against Pickís D. They did allow a fair amount of yards vs Colerain but that was because #23 for Colerain has elite speed and the DE lost his contain on those plays. Itís also really tough going against Colerainís offense because of the big play and the tempo. Mentor is going to have to be able to run the ball effectively because PCís secondary is very good and has a tone of experience.

For Mentor, you gotta limit the big plays from PCís QB. Heís a beast on the ground and heís really improved his passing from last season and heís only a Sophomore. His game is identical to Alabamaís QB....really tough to bring down and is a great game manager. He doesnít force throws and is great throwing to their TEís.

I got PC 27-24 but this game is a toss up. PC has a good FG kicker too and that could be huge!
If McDougal plays (I think he will) he has elite speed and moves when healthy.Mentor has plenty of big plays and tempo is what always makes them tough.
Old 11-25-17, 12:36 PM
All Region

Geno1 is on a distinguished road
After watching how well liberty hung with mentor, Pickerington Central will destroy mentor!
Old 11-25-17, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
PC was susceptible to the big play against Colerain yesterday, with all four scores being 45+ yard plays. Mentor has not been the kind of offense this year for the home run hits. But maybe they will need to keep that in mind this week. Shea, Floriea, and Hartman have the big play capability to hurt a defense.
Old 11-25-17, 02:08 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
You area very good poster Lotr , I realize you didn't come out and say Colerain was better , but you kind of did in a roundabout way, and now you are taking Mentor , which is OK but what's the logic? TUNROVERS again or the lackthereof you think a PC opponent is due for .

I think Mentor is really good , they have made plays when the needed to make them and prevented others from making them and deserve to be tin the finals no doubt. Better team than Liberty but not WAY better or WAY more talented as a Mentor poster suggested , that was not evident on the field last night .

Mentor is capable of winning, no doubt , but again you use the turnover reason and that train of thought indicates that you think it was the turnovers and not being a better team that won it for PC. I get inattention or sloppiness can be combined with aggressive ball hawking defense in a perfect storm of turnover hail dropping all over the turf , but I am going with they made them uncomfortable on offense and forced them into situations that they don'[t handle well and wore them down up front on offense as being the keys .

Mentor isn't a bad choice as they are capable as I said but your reason was PC needs turnovers basically and if they don't get them Mentor wins , I don't agree , I thin they will get a couple but they wont need them to win as I just think they are a bit bigger stronger and faster overall than this Mentor team and that's why they will win not having to rely solely on turnovers
Old 11-25-17, 02:22 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post
I dont get how Mentor fans are expecting this tailback to go from so hurt he's not able to play to 100% effective in a week. You people have obviously never had an ankle injury that requires a walking boot.

Sure, he might play, but expecting anywhere near 100% effectiveness if his injury was that serious is some pretty ingorant homerism.

As has already been mentioned, the defense PC brings will be far different than what they just saw vs Liberty. They will be bringing the heat and have several D1 athletes in the LB and secondary who will be providing much better coverage than they faced last week. Mentor will not have the same consistent success throwing the ball, that much is certain.

Other than the 2 DL Mentor has who were very good last night, I saw nothing spectacular on defense from them. Liberty receivers were getting open and making plays. PC has even better athletes and a QB who is a very dangerous runner, so they should have some success. PC should win this game by a couple scores.
McDougal was jumping around on the sidelines last night and was in uniform. I am thinking that this is NOT a high ankle sprain. The staff obviously figured that Edmond has been a very capable RB throughout the season and being 100% was a better option than for a sub-par McDougal.
Old 11-25-17, 02:37 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You area very good poster Lotr , I realize you didn't come out and say Colerain was better , but you kind of did in a roundabout way, and now you are taking Mentor , which is OK but what's the logic? TUNROVERS again or the lackthereof you think a PC opponent is due for .

I think Mentor is really good , they have made plays when the needed to make them and prevented others from making them and deserve to be tin the finals no doubt. Better team than Liberty but not WAY better or WAY more talented as a Mentor poster suggested , that was not evident on the field last night .

Mentor is capable of winning, no doubt , but again you use the turnover reason and that train of thought indicates that you think it was the turnovers and not being a better team that won it for PC. I get inattention or sloppiness can be combined with aggressive ball hawking defense in a perfect storm of turnover hail dropping all over the turf , but I am going with they made them uncomfortable on offense and forced them into situations that they don'[t handle well and wore them down up front on offense as being the keys .

Mentor isn't a bad choice as they are capable as I said but your reason was PC needs turnovers basically and if they don't get them Mentor wins , I don't agree , I thin they will get a couple but they wont need them to win as I just think they are a bit bigger stronger and faster overall than this Mentor team and that's why they will win not having to rely solely on turnovers
I like the fact that most are calling Mentor the underdog. Mentor started the season as a good team with a very good offense. Then in the playoffs, Mentor finally evolved into a team with a defense that turned into a very good one. I love the fact that Mentor plays in big games against great competition, win or lose. Beating the two top-ranked teams in the state in the playoffs (Iggy's, Ed's), helps Mentor's confidence. In a three or five game series, the best team usually wins. But you only have to be better than the other team for one game. Regardless of the outcome, it's been a great season for both teams.
Old 11-25-17, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Look picking either team is a good choice. IMO they are the two best teams left standing in D1 and deserve to be in the State Championship game. I'm taking Mentor to win for two main reasons:

* Mentor beat Saint Edwards and Saint Ignatius in back to back Playoff weeks. Any team that can do that is very good.

* My point on the TO's is simple - against both Pick North & Colerain TO's contributed greatly to PC's wins. Nothing wrong with that and for sure PC's ball hawking defense played a big role in forcing those TO's. But ultimately all human endeavors revert to the mean and if Mentor is careful with the ball and PC unable to force a big TO surplus then I like Mentor's chances.

As for Liberty, transitive properties don't apply at any level of football particularly in HS football. So trying to infer the results of the title game from previous Liberty/PC games is risky business. I also suspect that after beating Eds & Iggy in back to back weeks, Mentor may have been a bit flat against Liberty.

One final comment on your point about PC making Colerain "uncomfortable on offense" I don't buy that. In fact the most crucial TO's Colerain had came during a part of the game were they were either leading or only down one score. The two lost fumbles on FB dives appeared pretty pedestrian to me and fumbling the fair catch on a KO was just a bad TO. Now I would agree that Colerain's last two TO's - the INT and the QB fumble - were the result of Colerain desperately trying to get back into the game after PC had seized the lead and momentum.
Old 11-25-17, 03:24 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
I want Central but think Mentor by 20
Old 11-25-17, 03:53 PM
All Region

sam the butcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats Mentor, go get the win.
Old 11-25-17, 04:10 PM
All American

I am not a transitive property guy and the large gaggle of people who read what I post know that , I mention that faulty reasoning all the time . Yes PC has turned teams over the last two weeks , and of course you can make the excuse that Mentor just beat the PATRIOTS and the NFL ALL PRO'S combo team so they took Liberty as a gag gift and that's why the game was basically even yardage wise OK I get it , it's a full proof oh I buy that .

BUT lets cut the bullcrap , Liberty ran the ball well with an offensive line that is well lets say a couple notches{ OR GIANT LEAPS } below what the great alL of a sudden Mentor defensive front will see against PC. No comparison at all . PC also has more speed and strength at the skill positions .

OK if the back comes back for Mentor is he really that game changing is McDougal Maurice Clarrett circa 2001 ? may be so. Al I know is PC just beat the best running game in D-1 and a great explosive passing game vs. Pick North with a QB every bit as dynamic as Tadas is for Mentor and he is actually faster and quicker and as good a thrower .

Not to go Transitive on you as I realize more than most how that is a house of cards at times , PN beat Liberty 42-0 Wayne a very pedestrian team who got worked by PN in the paly-offs beat Liberty 17-0 , ummm Mentor and I realize they played the Patriots and the 85 Bears back to back ummm barely beat Liberty and was played pretty much even .

At any angle , I wil take PC here, in fact I will give LOTR 6 points and Mentor and bet whatever he thinks is appropriate ? PM me I'll take your action

Last edited by Harrycrane; 11-25-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-25-17, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
D I State Championship: Mentor (13-1) vs Pickerington Central (13-1)

I'm just happy to be in the game instead of supporting nearby schools after my school has long been eliminated.

Mentor didn't play well vs Liberty at all. And not having one of their top playmakers hurt especially on 3rd and shorts

For those who only saw that game , I could see them doubting mentor. If mentor plays like that and doesn't have Eli, they will lose

If they play how they are capable though , they can beat any team in the state

As for margin , who cares. If we win by 1 or 100 I'll be thrilled. If we lose by 1 or 100 I'll be sad for the team. Sure pick Central fans feel the same. The only people talking margin are those with teams not involved in the game. None of us care

And I echo what cardz1 said. Both teams have done great things and have had great seasons. Both should be proud no matter what. And I sure as heck didn't expect mentor to play this tough and gel like this to get this far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-17, 04:33 PM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
Mentor took out my team, so I will root for them to bring home a first title
Old 11-25-17, 04:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I am not a transitive property guy and the large gaggle of people who read what I post know that , I mention that faulty reasoning all the time . Yes PC has turned teams over the last two weeks , and of course you can make the excuse that Mentor just beat the PATRIOTS and the NFL ALL PRO'S combo team so they took Liberty as a gag gift and that's why the game was basically even yardage wise OK I get it , it's a full proof oh I buy that .

BUT lets cut the bullcrap , Liberty ran the ball well with an offensive line that is well lets say a couple notches{ OR GIANT LEAPS } below what the great alL of a sudden Mentor defensive front will see against PC. No comparison at all . PC also has more speed and strength at the skill positions .

OK if the back comes back for Mentor is he really that game changing is McDougal Maurice Clarrett circa 2001 ? may be so. Al I know is PC just beat the best running game in D-1 and a great explosive passing game vs. Pick North with a QB every bit as dynamic as Tadas is for Mentor and he is actually faster and quicker and as good a thrower .

Not to go Transitive on you as I realize more than most how that is a house of cards at times , PN beat Liberty 42-0 Wayne a very pedestrian team who got worked by PN in the paly-offs beat Liberty 17-0 , ummm Mentor and I realize they played the Patriots and the 85 Bears back to back ummm barely beat Liberty and was played pretty much even .

At any angle , I wil take PC here, in fact I will give LOTR 6 points and Mentor and bet whatever he thinks is appropriate ? PM me I'll take your action
I never bet on high school football. With kids playing the game, part timers reffing & coaching the variables are simply to great. And for someone who doesn't buy into transitive properties for HS football you sure do evoke it quite a bit.

BTW, I get that you're supporting PC and think they'll win. They are an excellent team and come from the conference that your DC team plays in. I would be picking Colerain if they had made it to the finals. What I don't get is why you seem annoyed that I think Mentor will win if they limit their TO's? That's not exactly radical thinking in football.
Old 11-25-17, 04:44 PM
All American

Yes margins don't matter at all at this stage and if you are still playing you have had a great season , I am just handicapping the game typing what I am thinking at this moment , of course every match-up is unique and Mentor obviously has an excellent team , good skill defense that has played better and better but I am not like most going to think ST Ed's and Iggy are PC'S equal this year in some key areas .

yes may be Mentor didn't play their best game vs Liberty and as well as they did the previous couple weeks, but fundamentally , PC has some attributes that Mentor may have a tough time dealing with , yes Mentor has some talent that will test and push PC to play well , I like both teams , really fine programs and due to win a title , I just think PC has some advantages here that they will exploit and aren't going back to Pickerington without the trophy , if they were playing a vintage Ed's or Iggy team ? May be not , but I like the key match-up to go PC'S way, their defensive back s vs Mentor receivers who had a real nice night vs Liberty , PC has a little bit more in terms of cover guys.
Old 11-25-17, 04:49 PM
All American

PC does not play in Coffman's conference , and I realize you don't read me on a regular basis , but I realize the frailties of the transitive, I invoke it as a reply to those who often do , HS betting is hypothetical , I have gone against the Pasteur line in d-3 through d-1 games in the Coffman thread since the start of the play-offs, have won by a nice margin .

I don't think anyone is ever going to actually take me up on my musings of betting them , it's OK I have lost some of those as well LOL { won more though } , so it's just banter .

Not annoyed at all , just questioning the thought process as we al know handicapping turnovers is impossible
Old 11-25-17, 04:55 PM
All American

As for the Mentor Liberty game Liberty didn't win the turnover battle and had more penalty yards , so I wasn't seeing a big advantage for either team in terms of benefitting from the other teams gaffe's . If that advantage for Liberty keep that game close ?I may have a different opinion next week .
Old 11-25-17, 05:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
PC does not play in Coffman's conference , and I realize you don't read me on a regular basis , but I realize the frailties of the transitive, I invoke it as a reply to those who often do , HS betting is hypothetical , I have gone against the Pasteur line in d-3 through d-1 games in the Coffman thread since the start of the play-offs, have won by a nice margin .

I don't think anyone is ever going to actually take me up on my musings of betting them , it's OK I have lost some of those as well LOL { won more though } , so it's just banter .

Not annoyed at all , just questioning the thought process as we al know handicapping turnovers is impossible
Wait aren't they both in the OCC? Are you talking about different divisions within the OCC? I'll admit I'm ignorant when it comes to that conference other than it's got a lot of teams & divisions. But PC is from central Ohio right? Just like I rooted for X last year and Wayne before that (and will be rooting for Clinton Massie & Winton Woods) because they're from SWO, I'm assuming you do the same.
Old 11-25-17, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think you just nailed what I'm thinking about how this game MIGHT go here. I'm guessing that PC won't enjoy a big TO differential this game and that without the TO's Mentor can spring the upset as I admit that looking at all the elements PC should be about a one TD favorite.
Old 11-25-17, 05:16 PM
All American

Yes I do root for Central Ohio in these types of match-ups but like I thought Mentor would beat Liberty by 11 on Friday and was wrong the game was a bit closer I don't just make cases for Co teams in these types of match-ups if I really thought Mentor had some match-up advantages from a fundamental standpoint or any other standpoint I would say so , regardless of who I may be Rooting" for .

Pure football fundamental match-ups wise I think PC is superior in the match-up vs Mentor , you obviously see things a bit differently not a bad thing at all
Old 11-25-17, 05:23 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Harry, how did that ball-hawking defense of PC do against the D3 school of the same ďpedestrianĒ GWOC conference as Wayne?
Old 11-25-17, 05:31 PM
All American

So your point is what ? that PC suks ? That they will lose ? what is it exactly? Just was making a meandering transitive argument that obviously was done for others benefit sorry you took offense , it wasn't meant to be a knock on Wayne at all who took care of a team that a state finalist had much more trouble with , kind of a compliment really .

Figured you got the context ,I guess not
Old 11-25-17, 07:24 PM
All Region

Purplesage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickeringtonsports View Post
what type of offense does Mentor run?
The type that scores a lot of points in a hurry!!! Lol
Old 11-25-17, 07:34 PM
All Region

Purplesage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Look picking either team is a good choice. IMO they are the two best teams left standing in D1 and deserve to be in the State Championship game. I'm taking Mentor to win for two main reasons:

* Mentor beat Saint Edwards and Saint Ignatius in back to back Playoff weeks. Any team that can do that is very good.

* My point on the TO's is simple - against both Pick North & Colerain TO's contributed greatly to PC's wins. Nothing wrong with that and for sure PC's ball hawking defense played a big role in forcing those TO's. But ultimately all human endeavors revert to the mean and if Mentor is careful with the ball and PC unable to force a big TO surplus then I like Mentor's chances.

As for Liberty, transitive properties don't apply at any level of football particularly in HS football. So trying to infer the results of the title game from previous Liberty/PC games is risky business. I also suspect that after beating Eds & Iggy in back to back weeks, Mentor may have been a bit flat against Liberty.

One final comment on your point about PC making Colerain "uncomfortable on offense" I don't buy that. In fact the most crucial TO's Colerain had came during a part of the game were they were either leading or only down one score. The two lost fumbles on FB dives appeared pretty pedestrian to me and fumbling the fair catch on a KO was just a bad TO. Now I would agree that Colerain's last two TO's - the INT and the QB fumble - were the result of Colerain desperately trying to get back into the game after PC had seized the lead and momentum.
This is spot on!!! Especially the part about the TO's being pedestrian !!! Both teams beat good opposition to get here but Mentor has a definite momentum advantage!! I'm just worried McDougal won't be himself but if he is this is almost assuredly a win for the Cardinals!!! But I'm still going to root for PC, I like purple for obvious reasons!!!!
Old 11-25-17, 10:35 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So your point is what ? that PC suks ? That they will lose ? what is it exactly? Just was making a meandering transitive argument that obviously was done for others benefit sorry you took offense , it wasn't meant to be a knock on Wayne at all who took care of a team that a state finalist had much more trouble with , kind of a compliment really .

Figured you got the context ,I guess not

No way does PC suck. They are one of the two best teams in D1. I have all the respect in the world for them. Our fellow poster from Fairfield was suggesting that if all things are equal with turnovers, that he likes Mentorís chances.

I donít recall the TM/PC game so I was wondering how PCís defense did in the turnover game that night. I certainly believe that PC has the studs to win the title. How will they fare if they are on the negative side of the turnover margin?