Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Mentor by 17+ 8 6.96%
Mentor by 8-16 15 13.04%
Mentor by 1-7 33 28.70%
Pickerington Central by 1-7 25 21.74%
Pickerington Central by 8-16 32 27.83%
Pickerington Central by 17+ 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-17, 11:42 PM
All Region

Picktowncentral is on a distinguished road
Typo, aren’t*
Old 11-24-17, 11:42 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Yeah... Centralís defense had absolutely nothing to do with those turnovers. Northmont, Bradley, Pick North, Colerain...they just handed the ball to Central. It had nothing to do with hard hitting, aggressive defense? Nothing to do with DBs whoíve been varsity starters for 3+ years and holding multiple D1 offers jumping routes....nothing. Central is the luckiest team in the history of team sports.
Everyone knows that you have to have a great team, or be playing great, to make it to the finals. Central has got to be the favorite. But, Go Cards!
Old 11-24-17, 11:44 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Yeah... Centralís defense had absolutely nothing to do with those turnovers. Northmont, Bradley, Pick North, Colerain...they just handed the ball to Central. It had nothing to do with hard hitting, aggressive defense? Nothing to do with DBs whoíve been varsity starters for 3+ years and holding multiple D1 offers jumping routes....nothing. Central is the luckiest team in the history of team sports.
Not saying that. But forcing TO's, no matter how good a defense is at doing it, is more a function of an offense not protecting the ball. Also I never said it involved "luck" as it doesn't. TO's are the result of aggressive and hard play by a defense and careless ball protection by the offense.

All I'm saying is that TO's have been huge in propelling PC over their playoff opponents and if they can get another + 3 or 4 on Mentor they will beat the Cards by two TD's. But if Mentor protects the ball on offense or PC turns over the ball both of which are possible then I see Mentor winning this game by a couple of points.

But I've watched a lot of football at all levels over my life and teams that force a lot of TO's eventually play a game where they don't get the TO's. How they respond to this change in circumstances is vital.
Old 11-24-17, 11:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picktowncentral View Post
I just hope Central can keep it close!
I'm saying Mentor will win by less then a TD and that's only if they don't turn the ball over. Last I looked games decided by less then a TD are close games - right?
Old 11-24-17, 11:48 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Not saying that. But forcing TO's, no matter how good a defense is at doing it, is more a function of an offense not protecting the ball. Also I never said it involved "luck" as it doesn't. TO's are the result of aggressive and hard play by a defense and careless ball protection by the offense.

All I'm saying is that TO's have been huge in propelling PC over their playoff opponents and if they can get another + 3 or 4 on Mentor they will beat the Cards by two TD's. But if Mentor protects the ball on offense or PC turns over the ball both of which are possible then I see Mentor winning this game by a couple of points.

But I've watched a lot of football at all levels over my life and teams that force a lot of TO's eventually play a game where they don't get the TO's. How they respond to this change in circumstances is vital.
TO's or not, to hang 41 points on Colerain is unheard of. Great win PC.
Old 11-24-17, 11:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Everyone knows that you have to have a great team, or be playing great, to make it to the finals. Central has got to be the favorite. But, Go Cards!
My goodness let's hope we don't have any flooding in Ohio this week given all the sandbags I suspect are being hoarded by the Mentor & PC fans! You two are the two best teams in D1 and both teams and their fans should be confident that they can win a state championship Friday night.
Old 11-24-17, 11:52 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
I would personally make Picktown Central a 10 point favorite. The Tigers are considerably better than Olentangy Liberty, IMO.

However, I also thought Central was going to beat St. X in the state semifinals last year as well. A lot of the final result will come down to who can keep their heads on straight in the middle of the bright lights & "bigness" of the moment.
Old 11-24-17, 11:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
TO's or not, to hang 41 points on Colerain is unheard of. Great win PC.
It absolutely is. But you can't be a football fan and not be aware of the huge impact being minus five in TO's in the 2nd half had on the final score of this game.
Old 11-25-17, 12:02 AM
All Region

Quote:
It absolutely is. But you can't be a football fan and not be aware of the huge impact being minus five in TO's in the 2nd half had on the final score of this game.
Turnovers are a part of almost every game, and every person on here predicted that the team with the fewest penalties and TO’s would win. Colerain fans included!

Last edited by Picktowncentral; 11-25-17 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-25-17, 12:04 AM
All Region

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Central is on a mission to win the 1st of a few State titles the city of Pickerington could win this year in all sports.... TIGERS BY 17
Old 11-25-17, 12:10 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTigerTrackCoach View Post
Central is on a mission to win the 1st of a few State titles the city of Pickerington could win this year in all sports.... TIGERS BY 17
WOW 😮 😯 😲

I hope youíre right, but I want to watch Mentor first! I just hope we donít get blown out...
Old 11-25-17, 12:14 AM
All Region

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picktowncentral View Post
WOW 😮 😯 😲

I hope youíre right, but I want to watch Mentor first! I just hope we donít get blown out...
I don't think there's a team in Ohio that could blow this defense out... And we know that defense wins championships! Hopefully Mentor doesn't run a wing T LOL
Old 11-25-17, 12:14 AM
All Ohio

dbarnian is on a distinguished road
Mentor’s defense has really impressed me in the playoffs and normally that’s an Achilles heel for them. I know there’s some certain prominent Mentor posters who has echoed this over the year’s on here lol. It’s really tough to run against Pick’s D. They did allow a fair amount of yards vs Colerain but that was because #23 for Colerain has elite speed and the DE lost his contain on those plays. It’s also really tough going against Colerain’s offense because of the big play and the tempo. Mentor is going to have to be able to run the ball effectively because PC’s secondary is very good and has a tone of experience.

For Mentor, you gotta limit the big plays from PC’s QB. He’s a beast on the ground and he’s really improved his passing from last season and he’s only a Sophomore. His game is identical to Alabama’s QB....really tough to bring down and is a great game manager. He doesn’t force throws and is great throwing to their TE’s.

I got PC 27-24 but this game is a toss up. PC has a good FG kicker too and that could be huge!
Old 11-25-17, 12:53 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
D I State Championship: Mentor (13-1) vs Pickerington Central (13-1)

I didn't expect this Mentor team to be here. Thought they'd lose in round 2 to Eds. They have far overachieved in terms of my expectations

Pick Central looks great. Probably the favorite. I love how this Mentor team plays though. They are gritty and able to adapt. While we are probably an underdog I still give us a good chance

Been close a million times. Praying we can overcome one less challenge and pull it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-17, 01:52 AM
All Ohio

IgnatianAMDG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
I didn't expect this Mentor team to be here. Thought they'd lose in round 2 to Eds. They have far overachieved in terms of my expectations

Pick Central looks great. Probably the favorite. I love how this Mentor team plays though. They are gritty and able to adapt. While we are probably an underdog I still give us a good chance

Been close a million times. Praying we can overcome one less challenge and pull it off

Congrats on the win!

Pulling for Mentor next week to bring home the 'chip.
Old 11-25-17, 02:07 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Pc tiger track c oach mentor runs the wing t to perfection.
Old 11-25-17, 02:27 AM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Good luck Mentor!
Old 11-25-17, 04:45 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
PC will run the ball pretty easily here , QB will go for over 100 , Liberty was right there , they aren't nearly as physical or as good overall as this PC team , if Mentor couldn't impose will and pull away from Liberty they are in some trouble from a pure physical standpoint .

Lotr tell us for the 56trd time how much better Colerain is but lost because of second half turnovers ? you haven't made that clear enough
Old 11-25-17, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
I have no inside knowledge on the health status of McDougal. It is no secret Mentor's talented RB didn't play yesterday. If he is healthy and plays on Friday, Mentor has a real shot. If not, I just don't think it will happen. Mentor has a lot of trouble running the ball against Liberty without McDougal. All in the know state that PC is far superior defensively to Liberty.
Old 11-25-17, 08:38 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most turnovers aren't unforced errors, they happen when the defense makes a big play. Colerain getting physically dominated led to some of those TOs.
Old 11-25-17, 08:54 AM
Varsity

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
I dont get how Mentor fans are expecting this tailback to go from so hurt he's not able to play to 100% effective in a week. You people have obviously never had an ankle injury that requires a walking boot.

Sure, he might play, but expecting anywhere near 100% effectiveness if his injury was that serious is some pretty ingorant homerism.

As has already been mentioned, the defense PC brings will be far different than what they just saw vs Liberty. They will be bringing the heat and have several D1 athletes in the LB and secondary who will be providing much better coverage than they faced last week. Mentor will not have the same consistent success throwing the ball, that much is certain.

Other than the 2 DL Mentor has who were very good last night, I saw nothing spectacular on defense from them. Liberty receivers were getting open and making plays. PC has even better athletes and a QB who is a very dangerous runner, so they should have some success. PC should win this game by a couple scores.
Old 11-25-17, 09:01 AM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Both teams knocked off good squads to get here. Many had Ed's and Iggy as the favorites and Mentor beat them both. Neither team got here by mistake. Weather, turnovers and penalties always play a roll but you should expect a close game for the championship. Not sure anybody picked this match up. Mentor has played out of their mind the last three weeks. These are just kids. Momentum and confidence goes a long way and both teams seem to have that. It would be nice to see Mentor finally finish the job.
Old 11-25-17, 09:04 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Hats off to Liberty for playing a very good game against an excellent team and being in it for the full 48 with a decent shot at winning the game at the end , the QB is really good for Mentor surprised he doesn't have the offers .

Liberty O-line was a bit of a mess early on , they really improved , only brought back one starter , PC brings back all of their guys up front and are a much larger more physical group than Liberty has , Potter is an excellent player on the D-line, PC will do a better job of keeping him from wreaking as much havoc . Crenshaw will be a problem running the ball and if you sell out which they might have to expect a few big plays through the air, Mentor is actually rated even by Cal Preps , I think PC is a solid 7-10 point favorite if I was making the line .

Mentor has confidence , if they win the field position and turnover battle they have a real shot, if not ? they lose by a couple scores. I expect PC to stick with the run even if not working well early as Mentor I don't believe is strong enough up front to battle them for the full 48 without giving up large chunk plays , PC is accused by their fans as sometimes being too conservative because they have so many athletes most years , but I really think that is the way to go here, keep hammering with the run and it will pay dividends later on .

it also keeps Mentor's leader and best player number 12 on the sideline for longer stretches . Whoever wins it will be their first state Title
Old 11-25-17, 09:07 AM
All District

Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
what type of offense does Mentor run?
Old 11-25-17, 09:08 AM
All District

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
Rooting for Mentor but I just don't see how they can win this game without help from Pick Central.Central is prone to alot of penalties and undisciplined play at times but can overcome that due to the superior talent they have. IMO the only way Mentor wins this game is if Pick Central beats itself. Pick Central by at least 17 in convincing fashion but GO Cards !
Old 11-25-17, 09:28 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
In case no one has brought it up, Pick Central played without their stud running back Friday night, as well.
Old 11-25-17, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Mentor has vastly overachieved in my estimation to get to this point. I never expected to get past round 2

Most people won't pick them on here, but none of us care. We are proud of how they have played. And I'll take being in the game with people saying we have no shot any day over being long gone and truly having no shot for real

Good luck Cards! Hope you finish it but man you've already made me proud

Old 11-25-17, 10:02 AM
All Region

I am STUNNED people are counting out the team that put away Edís and Ignatius. The way people are talking, PC has everything to lose. I do NOT share everyoneís sentiments. Like the Cardinal fans know, Iíve seen too many instances of my Tigers falling just short, and then making mistakes that kill drives that ends up costing the game. Either way, Iím super excited!

Go Tigers!
Old 11-25-17, 11:28 AM
Varsity

menfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post
I dont get how Mentor fans are expecting this tailback to go from so hurt he's not able to play to 100% effective in a week. You people have obviously never had an ankle injury that requires a walking boot.

Sure, he might play, but expecting anywhere near 100% effectiveness if his injury was that serious is some pretty ingorant homerism.

As has already been mentioned, the defense PC brings will be far different than what they just saw vs Liberty. They will be bringing the heat and have several D1 athletes in the LB and secondary who will be providing much better coverage than they faced last week. Mentor will not have the same consistent success throwing the ball, that much is certain.

Other than the 2 DL Mentor has who were very good last night, I saw nothing spectacular on defense from them. Liberty receivers were getting open and making plays. PC has even better athletes and a QB who is a very dangerous runner, so they should have some success. PC should win this game by a couple scores.

Everything you said was already written when Mentor played both St. Ed's and St Ignatius. "Much more athletic and physical...D1 players....bringing the heat...and where are those teams? And those teams were ranked #1 and #3 in the state.

This game will be decided by Mentor's running game or lack thereof if we don't get back to full strength. The defense has been so much better in the last 4 games but it's still asking a lot of them if we struggle running. We still beat OL with mainly QB runs and a nice passing attack. Who knows, nothing anyone has seen from either teams' prior games is going to be evidence of how they play against each other.
Old 11-25-17, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Mentor runs the wing t to orrfection.