Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Clinton-Massie by 17+ 3 2.63%
Clinton-Massie by 8-16 5 4.39%
Clinton-Massie by 1-7 30 26.32%
Steubenville by 1-7 16 14.04%
Steubenville by 8-16 46 40.35%
Steubenville by 17+ 14 12.28%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-17, 02:17 PM
All District

erdna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cat Magoo View Post
Their 2 leading running backs have been down with injuries. Total of 11 carries against JG. With that being said, they are now healthy and ready. The backs that carried the ball against JG were linebackers filling in, not your typical gashers. Will be a good tight game.
They only ran 36 total plays...nice try tho
Old 11-27-17, 02:22 PM
All Region

valuska is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by valuska View Post
Does anyone know if the game will be broadcast on TV anywhere other than on Spectrum cable which no one in my area gets?
I checked with DirectTV and was told that the games will be broadcast on Fox Sports Ohio CH 660 for a subscription price of $13.99+tax if not already a subscriber to the sports package. I checked to see if they are currently listed on their channel guide and the are NOT yet listed. I assume they will show up later in the week. If you have DirectTV you might want to keep an eye out for this option of watching the games if you can not attend.
Old 11-27-17, 03:21 PM
All Region

Massie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdna View Post
They only ran 36 total plays...nice try tho
I'm not sure how this negates his point that the starting half backs were either out or very limited in this game due to injury and that others had to fill in...

and it wasnt 36 plays, it was 48.
Old 11-27-17, 03:40 PM
Freshman

doublehalf02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedNation76 View Post
Yes I've seen tape and read up on this years CM team. I respect CM its program, kids, coaches. But yes it's laughable that CM (a running team) with this years talent on BOTH SIDES of the ball, can score 4 TDs. It's just not going to happen. You may not believe this but I bet CM coaches know this. They are saying to themselves let's control the clock, not get in a "who scores the most game" and keep it close to start the 4th quarter.

BR by double digits, 2 or 3 touchdown win.
I respect you, but....Does that actually work in Big Red Nation? Not my kind of people I guess. You will not see this type of "respect" from very many Massie people. We know what the word means. We always try to control the clock, so you might be right about that. I said might because I don't have a clue what I am talking about, but I sure do trust our kids and coaches.
Old 11-27-17, 04:45 PM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMxFalcons View Post
Laughable? I think not. Remember, Massie set the state scoring record and still is 2nd all time scoring in a season from Running this same
Offense. I know youíve watched them before, just saying I donít think itís laughable to think their O can score 28.

Massie Wins in the best state championship game
This year, 28-27
Setting scoring records in a non spread, non passing offense, and doing it with a ball control 99% run style just tells me that the teams you are play are incredibly weak. It will be very interesting to see how Massie reacts when we completely shut down the run game, or how they deal with getting behind.
Old 11-27-17, 05:56 PM
Freshman

Lvolto is on a distinguished road
I don't see CM scoring more than 14 pts. against a stout Big Red defense. They may have scored more and given up less than us during the year, BUT our starting offense and defense hardly ever played a full 4 quarters because they are always pulled so underclassmen can get playing time. Just saying. ROLL RED ROLL !!
Old 11-27-17, 06:49 PM
Freshman

undertow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvolto View Post
BUT our starting offense and defense hardly ever played a full 4 quarters because they are always pulled so underclassmen can get playing time. Just saying. ROLL RED ROLL !!
Yeah Massie did that too. It will be a physical game! Keep talking... hope your boys play as well as you say they do. Going to be a great one!
Old 11-27-17, 07:03 PM
All Ohio

Legba is on a distinguished road
They played the under classmen in 2015 and the sophomores kicked masses butts. It will be way worse come saturday. That linebacker is gonna get rolled over
Old 11-27-17, 08:11 PM
Freshman

OriginalFalconII is on a distinguished road
D IV State Championship: Steubenville (14-0) vs Clinton-Massie (13-1)

Will any Big Red faithful be tailgating at the Fairgrounds? If so , assuming we are worthy, I am sure many of us Massie faithful would enjoy a few cold ones with some of you. Both programs have huge followings and I think it would be a good time to get a little pregame banter.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-17, 08:24 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massie View Post
I'm not sure how this negates his point that the starting half backs were either out or very limited in this game due to injury and that others had to fill in...

and it wasnt 36 plays, it was 48.
My point was you were getting shut down and didn't get to run that many plays. Not like you were in control and had the luxury to rest players.
Old 11-27-17, 08:41 PM
All Region

CMxFalcons is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
Setting scoring records in a non spread, non passing offense, and doing it with a ball control 99% run style just tells me that the teams you are play are incredibly weak. It will be very interesting to see how Massie reacts when we completely shut down the run game, or how they deal with getting behind.
Just saying that the offense can score. It appears to be a one-dimensional attack but running the triple from many different looks and having an offense that is centered around play becomes more problematic to stop than most people think. I'm not questioning your or anyone's football IQ, just stated that I think shutting down the Massie rushing attach is different than shutting down others. We'll see what happens on Saturday.
Old 11-27-17, 08:48 PM
All District

Hawkcaulker9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Massie lining up in the wishbone, I, and wing-T sets running it right at you, reminds me of another team donning red white and blue with a bird of prey mascot. Big Red D needs to be disciplined stick to their assignments, cb and safeties can’t get antsy for run support, all play action passing scheme. Massie can’t afford to get behind two scores, not going to be able to quick strike BR D, they are damn quick and athletic. I am impressed with CM physicality kids seem to want to knock teeth loose. Should keep the tradition of DIV game being one of the best of the weekend. Good luck to both teams.
Old 11-27-17, 08:55 PM
All Region

CMxFalcons is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We know one dimensional teams can win big games. We donít have to look to far back to remember. But I refuse to believe any team than can complete only 21 passes is going to beat us. For CM to score like they do with zero passing game only tells me they played a bunch of weak sisters. When then do meet up with solid teams they are held WAY below their average. I think The Big Red is much more than just a solid team. If you canít throw it, how are they going to move it against a great defense with 8 in the box? Iím sure they will get theirs, but I also think John Glenn exposed the heck out of them.
If you look at every "good" program Massie has played over the last 10 years, you just summarized what they ALWAYS say. You play a weak schedule and that's why you're here. Those passes are usually daggers against teams, 34 yards a completion this season. 8 defenders in the box but Massie usually has 10 guys so if math serves me correctly, that's 1 extra offensive player plus the ball carrier.

Massie recently scheduled themselves against Bishop Hartley, to go along with playing Coldwater and playing in a league where 2 other teams made the DIII playoffs. They've scheduled DeSales, Steubenville, Turpin and now have Hartley and Coldwater on the schedule. Their schedule is very much on par with that of Steubenville.
Old 11-27-17, 09:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkcaulker9 View Post
Massie lining up in the wishbone, I, and wing-T sets running it right at you, reminds me of another team donning red white and blue with a bird of prey mascot. Big Red D needs to be disciplined stick to their assignments, cb and safeties canít get antsy for run support, all play action passing scheme. Massie canít afford to get behind two scores, not going to be able to quick strike BR D, they are damn quick and athletic. I am impressed with CM physicality kids seem to want to knock teeth loose. Should keep the tradition of DIV game being one of the best of the weekend. Good luck to both teams.
Well said.
Old 11-27-17, 09:16 PM
All Region

Massie is on a distinguished road
I’m waiting for someone to say something else stupid like you can’t win a championship with a wishbone/running offense...
Old 11-27-17, 09:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
If you look at every "good" program Massie has played over the last 10 years, you just summarized what they ALWAYS say. You play a weak schedule and that's why you're here. Those passes are usually daggers against teams, 34 yards a completion this season. 8 defenders in the box but Massie usually has 10 guys so if math serves me correctly, that's 1 extra offensive player plus the ball carrier.

Massie recently scheduled themselves against Bishop Hartley, to go along with playing Coldwater and playing in a league where 2 other teams made the DIII playoffs. They've scheduled DeSales, Steubenville, Turpin and now have Hartley and Coldwater on the schedule. Their schedule is very much on par with that of Steubenville.
All true. Big Red always hears the same argument...weak schedule. Hard to admit by those that don't make the playoffs yearly that both teams win because they have great football programs.
Old 11-27-17, 10:00 PM
All District

BigRedNation76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just saying that the offense can score. It appears to be a one-dimensional attack but running the triple from many different looks and having an offense that is centered around play becomes more problematic to stop than most people think. I'm not questioning your or anyone's football IQ, just stated that I think shutting down the Massie rushing attach is different than shutting down others. We'll see what happens on Saturday.
The offense can score, they will score, I don't think they will be able to score enough. No matter what running scheme a team uses it all goes back to one thing for success, an offensive line push. Without a push you can run any scheme you want and it won't be successful. We will see what happens, talk is cheap. Nothing we say or what CM fans say will matter come game time.

BR faithful there is no need to make them eat crow after the game, winning is enough, RRR
Old 11-27-17, 11:16 PM
All Region

Quote:

Here is what I see: first, your harbin points were 24 and the big red had 33, the 11th highest in all divisions. However you want to spin it, the system is designed to award teams who play teams that win. I look at the Fslcons schedule and I see a lot more really bad teams on your schedule than ours. Again, people can spin that how they want. You guys average just under 50 a game in the 10 game regular season. In the playoffs you are at about half that. In other words good teams seem to figure out how to slow down your running game and scoring. I think you can pretty much assume Big Red will also. You gained 133 yards rushing against JG and it to a pick 6 and an improbable 4th and goal from the 25
Completion to win the game. Before last Friday have you guys trailed this season by more than 1 score with 4 or 5 minutes to go? If you fall behind in this one by 14 or so I think you are pretty much guaranteed the runner up trophy. There are a couple of programs in Ohio that have won titles with the ... OK foe..... here is what we are going to do , you know it, and we know it, now stop us. CM, Mooney, Hill Davidson, Colerain and Kirtland have that mentality. If we get 8 guys in the box, that style wonít work. You can remind me of Hartley but they threw it more than you know and at the end of the day it was the pass that beat us. Iím blown away by that figure of 21 completed passes in 14 games.
Old 11-27-17, 11:31 PM
All District

Hazardous Whippet is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Here is what I see: first, your harbin points were 24 and the big red had 33, the 11th highest in all divisions. However you want to spin it, the system is designed to award teams who play teams that win. I look at the Fslcons schedule and I see a lot more really bad teams on your schedule than ours. Again, people can spin that how they want. You guys average just under 50 a game in the 10 game regular season. In the playoffs you are at about half that. In other words good teams seem to figure out how to slow down your running game and scoring. I think you can pretty much assume Big Red will also. You gained 133 yards rushing against JG and it to a pick 6 and an improbable 4th and goal from the 25
Completion to win the game. Before last Friday have you guys trailed this season by more than 1 score with 4 or 5 minutes to go? If you fall behind in this one by 14 or so I think you are pretty much guaranteed the runner up trophy. There are a couple of programs in Ohio that have won titles with the ... OK foe..... here is what we are going to do , you know it, and we know it, now stop us. CM, Mooney, Hill Davidson, Colerain and Kirtland have that mentality. If we get 8 guys in the box, that style wonít work. You can remind me of Hartley but they threw it more than you know and at the end of the day it was the pass that beat us. Iím blown away by that figure of 21 completed passes in 14 games.
I don't have a dog in this fight but CM sounds eerily similar to St. Mary's Memorial in their offensive scheme. They ran the Wing-T and Single-T and were bowling teams over through the regular season. If I remember correctly coming in to the playoffs they had thrown a total of 30 passes the entire year. Once they came up against a good defense in Shelby they were completely shut down and were forced to pass because they had gotten so far behind in the score and it led to interceptions.

If Massie is anything like this I don't see them being able to win the game against that Steubenville defense.
Old 11-27-17, 11:40 PM
All District

algernonsidney is on a distinguished road
Reno Saccoccia has been quoted that "there are teams that are humble and teams that are about to be humbled."

My motto this week is: Stay humble, guys.
Old 11-28-17, 02:51 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernonsidney View Post
Reno Saccoccia has been quoted that "there are teams that are humble and teams that are about to be humbled."

My motto this week is: Stay humble, guys.
Lol you were real humble talking about Shelby's coach...
Old 11-28-17, 03:18 AM
All Region

Quote:
Iím waiting for someone to say something else stupid like you canít win a championship with a wishbone/running offense...
Championships can be won with those 99% run schemes, but it is incredibly difficult. CM has done it, Colerain has done it, Mooney has done it, Hilliard Davidson has done it, Hartley has done it, Kirkland has done it, but in the grand scheme of things it is VERY VERY RARE OCCURENCE. I think the same holds true for those that run a pass happy air raid attack. The majority of Champions are the ones that have a balanced attack and throw it in running situations and run it in throwing situations. Can it be done....hell yes, is it difficult, and based on past champions are the odds against it.....yes. Will the balanced offensive scheme or the 99% run scheme win Saturday. Iím going with the balanced offense.
Old 11-28-17, 03:20 AM
All District

Quote:
Iím waiting for someone to say something else stupid like you canít win a championship with a wishbone/running offense...
Itís not stupid to think a running team can win a championship, there are many teams in history that have won primarily running the ball. The danger is going up against a team that can shut the running game down which puts you in a position that the play action pass is no longer an effective weapon. Iíve been on both ends of that curve! Trying to create a passing game by drawing plays in the sand often leads to 3 and outs and turnovers. Massie has to control the ball, long sustained drives that end up in touchdowns. I donít think they want to trade scores with Steubenville, if the track meet mentality comes out Massie IMO wonít be able to keep up.
Old 11-28-17, 03:23 AM
All District

C&B don’t you sleep?
Old 11-28-17, 03:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFalconII View Post
Will any Big Red faithful be tailgating at the Fairgrounds? If so , assuming we are worthy, I am sure many of us Massie faithful would enjoy a few cold ones with some of you. Both programs have huge followings and I think it would be a good time to get a little pregame banter.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sounds like a good time. In previous Championship weekends in Massillon fans from all participating teams and others met at the shelter house next to PBTS. Each year the event was organized by the late Buckeye Bill. Different folks brought food and drink and it was a great time. It was essentially put together via JJHuddle posters. Too late for this year but maybe next year a group can put together THE YAPPI Championship weekend party.all that being said, Iím sure 5here will be some intermingling of fans at the fairgrounds. With the smart phones and this site it would be easy to find each other. ROLLREDROLL
Old 11-28-17, 03:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkcaulker9 View Post
C&B donít you sleep?
Not much brother. Iím recently retired and trying to figure out how this works. Iíve. Gotten myself twisted up by staying up too late and then sleeping till noon. I have got to get back to a regular life. Iím thinking about starting to go back to the office for 3-4hours a day just to get myself back to some kind of normal schedule........youíre also up at 330 am....whatís up with that.
Old 11-28-17, 03:38 AM
All District

Quote:
Not much brother. Iím recently retired and trying to figure out how this works. Iíve. Gotten myself twisted up by staying up too late and then sleeping till noon. I have got to get back to a regular life. Iím thinking about starting to go back to the office for 3-4hours a day just to get myself back to some kind of normal schedule........youíre also up at 330 am....whatís up with that.
Well Iím usually in the woods this time of year looking for Bambiís dad but the workload dictated otherwise. So itís another shoulda coulda woulda story for a part time insomniac.
Old 11-28-17, 07:34 AM
All District

algernonsidney is on a distinguished road
Steubenville hasn't missed the playoffs since 2000. Clinton-Massie hasn't missed the playoffs since 2001. Anyone else have playoff streaks that are this long right now?
Old 11-28-17, 07:45 AM
All Region

Knight time is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by algernonsidney View Post
Steubenville hasn't missed the playoffs since 2000. Clinton-Massie hasn't missed the playoffs since 2001. Anyone else have playoff streaks that are this long right now?
Several from the Miami Valley......Alter since 2000...
Old 11-28-17, 08:06 AM
Varsity

noclue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Championships can be won with those 99% run schemes, but it is incredibly difficult. CM has done it, Colerain has done it, Mooney has done it, Hilliard Davidson has done it, Hartley has done it, Kirkland has done it, but in the grand scheme of things it is VERY VERY RARE OCCURENCE. I think the same holds true for those that run a pass happy air raid attack. The majority of Champions are the ones that have a balanced attack and throw it in running situations and run it in throwing situations. Can it be done....hell yes, is it difficult, and based on past champions are the odds against it.....yes. Will the balanced offensive scheme or the 99% run scheme win Saturday. Iím going with the balanced offense.
You are correct....Hartley has done it....two years in a row....

But please do not stop your bashing of CM....You are giving their players and coaches plenty of locker room material.