Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-17-17, 11:34 AM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Perry Panthers, Season Recap and A Look Ahead

The Panthers will lose 24 seniors of which 12 were big contributors. The season low was the loss to Jackson, the season high was the comeback win over Canton McKinley, going 9-1 and getting into the playoffs for the 4th consecutive year.

Coming back in 2018 are: the kicker, all three running backs, including hard running Jarin Curtis and Richard Coleman. The TE, an inside LB, DB, two OL and 3 DL. The incoming sophomore class has some very talented players that will have an impact on the varsity. The biggest holes to fill will be at QB, DE and at corner & FS.

It looks as though most of the Federal League was senior heavy, so who the leaders coming out of summer camp next year will be interesting.
The Panthers schedule will get an upgrade with Louisville back on for the next 4 years.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-17, 02:35 PM
All Region

sam the butcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
The Panthers will lose 24 seniors of which 12 were big contributors. The season low was the loss to Jackson, the season high was the comeback win over Canton McKinley, going 9-1 and getting into the playoffs for the 4th consecutive year.

Coming back in 2018 are: the kicker, all three running backs, including hard running Jarin Curtis and Richard Coleman. The TE, an inside LB, DB, two OL and 3 DL. The incoming sophomore class has some very talented players that will have an impact on the varsity. The biggest holes to fill will be at QB, DE and at corner & FS.

It looks as though most of the Federal League was senior heavy, so who the leaders coming out of summer camp next year will be interesting.
The Panthers schedule will get an upgrade with Louisville back on for the next 4 years.
Congrats on a great year.

Gonna be hard to replace Baker.

Would like to see Massillon back on your schedule.
Old 11-17-17, 02:55 PM
All Region

Tigerfan65 is on a distinguished road
The biggest question is Wakefield coming back ?
Curtis was a beast this year.

Interesting that Louisville has scheduled both Massillon and Perry next year.
Old 11-19-17, 05:41 PM
All World

As far as I know Wakefield will return, although I wouldn’t be surprised if he hangs it up in a couple more years.
Old 11-19-17, 10:39 PM
All District

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan65 View Post
The biggest question is Wakefield coming back ?
Curtis was a beast this year.

Interesting that Louisville has scheduled both Massillon and Perry next year.
Louisville had no choice as they have a lot of open dates on there schedule. Not sure a good move on Perry though as a D1 school for now maybe when they drop back to D2.

Was told by an administrator of Perry that most likely Waikefield will not renew his contract. This was per Waikefield as he has had a lot of family issues.

Perry did have a good year though it could have been better
Old 11-19-17, 10:49 PM
All District

OddJob is on a distinguished road
Wakefield will be back, football is this guys life, without football he has no purpose
Old 11-19-17, 10:58 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
I am sure Wake will be back. He has trained a few that could step up but nobody could truly replace him. We have a good nucleus back and more youth to fill the holes.
Old 11-20-17, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Would love to play Perry and see Curtis in person. Video clips look like a poor man's Eric Howard. He's a bulldozer. I see 8 wins next year no problem.

As far as replacing Baker, please. No offense but QB at Perry is like nice t!ts on a nun. If he can run a little and complete 3-4 passes you'll be fine.
Old 11-21-17, 05:27 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleadog101 View Post
Louisville had no choice as they have a lot of open dates on there schedule. Not sure a good move on Perry though as a D1 school for now maybe when they drop back to D2.

Was told by an administrator of Perry that most likely Waikefield will not renew his contract. This was per Waikefield as he has had a lot of family issues.

Perry did have a good year though it could have been better
I really would like to know which "administrator" told you this, Wakefield probably only deals with the AD and the Super one played for him and both are friends of his, your administrator story is total BS
Old 11-21-17, 05:49 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
yep and other than losing to Jackson , I don't see how the season could have been much better. Of course it would have been nice to beat Iggy but I am still proud of the boys for 2 and 1/2 quarters having the lead over them. Yes, i know a win is always better....
Old 11-21-17, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool Nice ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Would love to play Perry and see Curtis in person. Video clips look like a poor man's Eric Howard. He's a bulldozer. I see 8 wins next year no problem.

As far as replacing Baker, please. No offense but QB at Perry is like nice t!ts on a nun. If he can run a little and complete 3-4 passes you'll be fine.
Most nuns I knew had skeeter bites or Musk melons. Best line of the year was Baker stating that Wakefield made Woody look pass happy!!
Old 12-06-17, 05:18 PM
All World

While I understand the opinion, Perry doesn’t need an Aaron Rogers at QB, they still need someone who will be proficient. The RB, FB and WB positions will be strong, especially with the addition of a very quick Josh Lemon coming up from the freshman team next year. The QB position still is a question mark.
Old 12-06-17, 06:46 PM
All Region

jtigerjoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post

I differ that replacing Baker is no big deal. He ran the offense well, and was the team leader. He also was a really good defensive player. Guys like that are really missed.
Old 12-06-17, 07:13 PM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
I think the most interesting thing about the Perry program has been the steady consistent growth over a not too short period or too long period. They have established themselves as a premier program with high expectations every year. When you expect to not just make the playoffs but have deep runs and championship opportunities......guess what.....that’s what happens. I’ll probably get lots of pushback on this, and I would like to hear some opinions.....but I think Perry is the most elite and premier program in Stark County. I can’t think of any argument to the contrary.
Old 12-06-17, 08:20 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
I think the most interesting thing about the Perry program has been the steady consistent growth over a not too short period or too long period. They have established themselves as a premier program with high expectations every year. When you expect to not just make the playoffs but have deep runs and championship opportunities......guess what.....thatís what happens. Iíll probably get lots of pushback on this, and I would like to hear some opinions.....but I think Perry is the most elite and premier program in Stark County. I canít think of any argument to the contrary.
Nah, no pushback. I'd say, given the number of boys in the school, Perry is achieving at the highest level of any of the D1/D2 schools in Stark. No argument there.

On the other hand, other than Lake and Hoover being down most of the decade, I don't think the big schools in the county are separated by that much in terms of product on the field. Massillon got flak for beating bad teams in R7, but Perry didn't have monster regions when they were D2 either. So I wouldn't be prepared to say Perry is head and shoulders above Massillon or everybody else. I do think they're the likeliest public to grab a title if they drop down to D2 again though.
Old 12-06-17, 08:43 PM
All Yappi

Maxie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
I think the most interesting thing about the Perry program has been the steady consistent growth over a not too short period or too long period. They have established themselves as a premier program with high expectations every year. When you expect to not just make the playoffs but have deep runs and championship opportunities......guess what.....thatís what happens. Iíll probably get lots of pushback on this, and I would like to hear some opinions.....but I think Perry is the most elite and premier program in Stark County. I canít think of any argument to the contrary.

Please define what constitutes "most elite and premier" program. Wins, D-1 athletes, former players playing college football at various levels, playoff resume, etc.?
Old 12-06-17, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Nah, no pushback. I'd say, given the number of boys in the school, Perry is achieving at the highest level of any of the D1/D2 schools in Stark. No argument there.

On the other hand, other than Lake and Hoover being down most of the decade, I don't think the big schools in the county are separated by that much in terms of product on the field. Massillon got flak for beating bad teams in R7, but Perry didn't have monster regions when they were D2 either. So I wouldn't be prepared to say Perry is head and shoulders above Massillon or everybody else. I do think they're the likeliest public to grab a title if they drop down to D2 again though.

In reality, the makeup of R7 has been the same for the last three years. I didn't hear the same comments about the region's strength in 2016 and 2015. Why is that?
Old 12-06-17, 09:32 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
In reality, the makeup of R7 has been the same for the last three years. I didn't hear the same comments about the region's strength in 2016 and 2015. Why is that?
The region sucked back then as well. Many of us just didn't realize it yet. What did it for me was Perry hanging 66 on Franklin Hts. in the 2nd round last year.

With more specific regard to this year:
- I watched video of #3 seed Mifflin's games with Northland and was left with the reaction of "Harbin Cow." Those were 2 of the better teams in the Columbus City League, so I figured Walnut Ridge was no world beater either.
- I saw New Albany last year in the regional final with a pair of incredibly undersized guards. Getting shut out by a mediocre Big Walnut squad won't leave many quaking in their boots.
- Boardman had to go 2 OTs to beat a subpar Ursuline team.
- Whitehall-Yearling got boat raced by a bad Watterson team.
- Canal Winchester got boat raced by a 2-8 Westerville North and also lost to mediocre Thomas Worthington team.
- Ashland couldn't beat a Wooster team that relied too heavily on athleticism rather than actual fundamental football skills. Even Canton CC, who was not very good this year, beat Wooster after trailing 20-3.
Old 12-06-17, 09:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
The region sucked back then as well. Many of us just didn't realize it yet. What did it for me was Perry hanging 66 on Franklin Hts. in the 2nd round last year.

- I watched video of #3 seed Mifflin's games with Northland and was left with the reaction of "Harbin Cow." Those were 2 of the better teams in the Columbus City League, so I figured Walnut Ridge was no world beater either.
- I saw New Albany last year in the regional final with a pair of incredibly undersized guards. Getting shut out by a mediocre Big Walnut squad won't leave many quaking in their boots.
- Canal Winchester got boat raced by a 2-8 Westerville North and also lost to mediocre Thomas Worthington team.
- Ashland couldn't beat a Wooster team that relied too heavily on athleticism rather than actual fundamental football skills. Even Canton CC, who was not very good this year, beat Wooster after trailing 20-3.

I get it. However, posters saying the only reason the Tigers won the region was because it is the weakest in the state isn't fair. Actually, other than Lasalle, Winton Woods and MAYBE Anderson, how strong is Region 8? Everything is relative.
Old 12-06-17, 10:45 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
I get it. However, posters saying the only reason the Tigers won the region was because it is the weakest in the state isn't fair. Actually, other than Lasalle, Winton Woods and MAYBE Anderson, how strong is Region 8? Everything is relative.
How is it not fair? Do you really think Massillon would've won any of the other 3 DII playoff regions? You saw what happened against Winton Woods (or maybe you hid your eyes when the floodgates opened). Wanna try your luck against Hoban? Avon (a team that I believe Massillon has scrimmaged from time to time)? Do you think any of other teams in Region 7 would've done anything against similar seeded teams from the other regions? Region 7 had 3 teams make it with 6-4 records. Go to joeeitel.com and look at their schedules. Had Massillon lost to McKinley they still would've been the #2 seed with a 6-4 record, and that's with 4 wins coming against teams with losing records. That doesn't happen in a stronger DII region.

With 7 divisions, 4 playoff regions, and 8 teams qualifying per region, your odds of finding any region to be a murderer's row of 5-8 teams with state finals ability are slim to none. Every region has a hierarchy to it where a few teams are going to be a cut above the rest like in your example of DII Region 8.

When Canton CC won DV R15 in 2014, they and Ursuline were the only 2 good teams in the region. The rest of the region wasn't very good. When Canton CC won the region again in 2015, they were the only good team in the region as they won all 3 regional games by 4 TDs despite being a weaker team in 2015 than in 2014. In 2016, when Canton CC won DV R17, the region was still bad. Heck, the entire division was as weak as I've seen it. DVI was better than DV in 2016.
Old 12-06-17, 11:16 PM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool Tri Valley.

I'm still trying to figure out how a Tri Valley team from 2015 that Perry handled beat St. V. this past year after dropping to DIII. That was a mild surprise and shows how things can change in 2 years. If you look closely at some of these teams schedules, in (Eitel) in all of the Divisions you will find teams that play down a division or two over a period and have great seasons, then drop out of the play offs early. OTOH, teams that do the opposite get stronger. Being locked in a league can be good or bad. Some people say that about the Fed, or the opposite about the Mac.
Old 12-06-17, 11:19 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJob View Post
Wakefield will be back, football is this guys life, without football he has no purpose
Geesh. Sure hope that isn't true at his age after all these years. Pretty stupid comment but you're probably a kid. You get a break.
Old 12-06-17, 11:22 PM
All Yappi

^^^^^^^Mr. Slippery
Yes, I believe the Tigers would have won Region 6. The Tigers and Avon have scrimmaged each other the last several years. Listen, this is high school football. Anything can happen. My opinions are based on the fact that MW won Region 7 and several posters have said the reason the Tigers won it is because they were assigned the weakest region in the state. In addition, many of those same posters were predicting the Tigers would go 2-8, 3-7, 4-6, 5-5, etc. So when that didn't happen, they used the weak region excuse. Understand?
Your second paragraph really explains it well. I agree with this analysis. In reality, we really shouldn't have 7 divisions, but that is a conversation for another time and thread.
Old 12-06-17, 11:25 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Geesh. Sure hope that isn't true at his age after all these years. Pretty stupid comment but you're probably a kid. You get a break.
Go back to the basement of your moms trailer in Massillon, turd
Old 12-06-17, 11:27 PM
All Yappi

Sorry Big Ed. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Me thinks that Crimson and Black wanted to start a "Civil War" in Stark County. LOL!!
Old 12-07-17, 12:28 AM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post

Man, when seeing the names and some of the results in that region it is glaringly obvious how bad that region was. You mention a ďmediocreĒ Worthington team....... I think they won 3 times this year after dropping 39 out of 40. The region was heavy with Cols city league teams. That league produces maybe one better than average team per year. Take Massillon out of that region and there are regions in D3, 4, 5 and Maybe 6 whose champion would have won that region. D2 is notoriously week in Central Ohio.
Old 12-07-17, 08:38 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJob View Post
Go back to the basement of your moms trailer in Massillon, turd
Well OK. If only you knew how idiotic you just made yourself look Sparky. Now, little fella go upsize my fries for me please. And I said DIET COKE you idiot.

Last edited by Egret; 12-07-17 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 10:33 AM
All Ohio

starkfb
lol, I think the Panthers can and will make the playoffs again next year. Coach Wake and company will mold another young qb but Baker will certainly be missed.
Old 12-07-17, 01:48 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkfb View Post
lol, I think the Panthers can and will make the playoffs again next year. Coach Wake and company will mold another young qb but Baker will certainly be missed.
Are Valley Forge and Walsh Jesuit still on the schedule? It'll be the same concern next year for points to get in if so. The Fed actually did pretty well out-of-conference in 2017 so I don't see many more Harbins coming from that part of the schedule -- it could very well be less.
Old 12-07-17, 02:09 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Don't worry about it Maxie. Stark is the Fed. Of course there is bias. Just like the all-county teams and COY awards. Example: Perry over McKinley at home was a great accomplishment!!! Massillon over McKinley at the inaugural Benson debut was ehh. I think the latter was as if not more impressive but whatevs. Ditto regional titles as you mentioned. Perry had a great year. Massillon had a great year. I hope Perry drops to D2. Of course many of these questions have been settled before on the field and could again if/whenever interested.

No doubt Perry is currently a very strong program. GO usually is. Mck is Mck. Jackson improving leaps and bounds. Hoover showing signs of stepping it up. Idk Lake I almost feel bad for them. Green is no threat to win the league in any foreseeable future.