Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-16-17, 01:48 PM
Junior Varsity

VBHSFB04 is on a distinguished road
Exactly what is the definition of a "retread" coach? If Lance Schneider is a "retread", I will take the "retread".
99.9% chance the next head coach will be a teacher. It's nothing unique to Butler.
Old 11-16-17, 01:59 PM
Varsity

BleedPurple&Gold is on a distinguished road
If I am not mistaken Lance lost his teaching job at Northmont when all of his mess went down. I am sure they are not going to hire another coach with baggage we just went through that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-17, 02:32 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple&Gold View Post
If I am not mistaken Lance lost his teaching job at Northmont when all of his mess went down. I am sure they are not going to hire another coach with baggage we just went through that.

Yes he did. 2016 Middletown Fenwick offered him the AD job but pulled it back when there was parent backlash. It's just a matter of an Administration and a School Board that believe this is the best coach for the program and were willing to give him a second chance. I think there's no doubt he'll apply. I think there is a big risk in bringing in another first year head coach at this moment. Whoever they hire it needs to be someone that can get kids in this current seasons Fr and So classes back out playing football because they are very light in numbers. That's the damage that Hyatt has done. After this years Jr class, there is not much coming.
Old 11-16-17, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
http://www.vandaliadrummernews.com/s...return-in-2018

“Shumaker said that the district will work within the negotiated teacher contract to find a new coach.”

Translation: The union will require us to hire a teacher in house rather than a qualified and experience coach from outside. Going to be the same garbage product where 6-4 and 7-3 and a first round beat down as an 8 seed are celebrated as great years. No thanks.
Old 11-16-17, 03:10 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_isnt_free View Post

ďShumaker said that the district will work within the negotiated teacher contract to find a new coach.Ē

Translation: The union will require us to hire a teacher in house rather than a qualified and experience coach from outside. Going to be the same garbage product where 6-4 and 7-3 and a first round beat down as an 8 seed are celebrated as great years. No thanks.

God I hope not but I guess thatís why we celebrate just making the playoffs. Hopefully that means any teacher including ones out of the school district. You can still have half your team on the honor roll and not be a teacher in the system or not even a teacher at all.

Old 11-16-17, 03:12 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:

ďShumaker said that the district will work within the negotiated teacher contract to find a new coach.Ē

That's the same everywhere. They have to post the job for 10 days within the district before they can open it up to outside candidates. This job is going to an outside candidate. Don't be surprised to see a purging of some of the assistant coaches either.
Old 11-16-17, 09:15 PM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBHSFB04 View Post
That's the same everywhere. They have to post the job for 10 days within the district before they can open it up to outside candidates. This job is going to an outside candidate. Don't be surprised to see a purging of some of the assistant coaches either.
This is my understanding as well, it will be initially be posted internally, but does not dictate the hire be from within the district.

On a side note, probably no interset on his part as he is happy at Springboro, but Panthers OC Mike Fisher would make a good HC should he ever have those aspirations.
Old 11-17-17, 08:05 AM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
He played under Nolan. And also played under Barry Alvarez and Bret Bielema at Wisconsin. A lot of good tutelage.
Wow.
Old 11-17-17, 05:45 PM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exactly what is the definition of a "retread" coach? If Lance Schneider is a "retread", I will take the "retread".
99.9% chance the next head coach will be a teacher. It's nothing unique to Butler.
A "retread" is a repeat or a do over. If you bring Scheneider or any of the aforementioned head coaches in it will be a repeat of what's been going on the past seasons. Again, they didn't have success where they were,why do you think they be would be successful at Butler?
Old 11-20-17, 04:25 PM
All Ohio

Can someone coach multiple sports at a school? Not implying that this would happen at Butler just curious. Like if the head baseball, basketball or track coach also wanted to be head football coach is that allowed?
Old 11-20-17, 05:58 PM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can someone coach multiple sports at a school? Not implying that this would happen at Butler just curious. Like if the head baseball, basketball or track coach also wanted to be head football coach is that allowed?
Probably allowed by contract but no one at a school the size of VB is going to want to take that on and I doubt the administration would allow it unless it was football and track. I think it's more common for the HC of football to only do football and for an assistant to two to help with wrestling and track.

It's not impossible but that's a load of work for any one person.
Old 11-21-17, 02:12 PM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
My prediction is Butler does the standard thing most schools and just hires someone who meets the criteria of less than 10 years of teaching experience rather than the best candidate. Only Centerville and Wayne and sometimes Fairmont truly try to get the right guy. Most other schools hide behind union rules and dont have that much to pick from to be honest.
Old 11-21-17, 02:18 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
My prediction is Butler does the standard thing most schools and just hires someone who meets the criteria of less than 10 years of teaching experience rather than the best candidate. Only Centerville and Wayne and sometimes Fairmont truly try to get the right guy. Most other schools hide behind union rules and dont have that much to pick from to be honest.
I don't know. Troy had several qualified candidates just within their school that were teachers they could have hired. They instead went out and got a guy they needed. He has turned them from being a door mat to back to back playoff seasons.
Old 11-21-17, 03:18 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
It is more common now for a district to offer a coach with a lot of years less years on the pay scale, but offer a weight room stipend along with the coaching stipend. There are other perks such as an extra planning period instead of classroom period and give them lunch room supervision so they basically teach half a day. It's not as common as it used to be, but certainly not unusual. Would Butler do it? To make your point, probably not.
Old 11-22-17, 12:03 PM
Junior Varsity

I guess it was announced to the team and parents, whenever they had the awards banquet, that the next head coach should be hired towards the end of January. Also heard that there is nearly a 0% chance this job goes to someone currently teaching in the district. I don't know if asst coaches on the current staff that teach in other districts are going to be considered. There are two or three that have enough experience to be at least given an interview.
Old 11-22-17, 05:51 PM
Varsity

SW FB Fan is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Zezzo!;6915679]A "retread" is a repeat or a do over. If you bring Scheneider or any of the aforementioned head coaches in it will be a repeat of what's been going on the past seasons. Again, they didn't have success where they were,why do you think they be would be successful at Butler?[/Q

Schneider did not have success ???
Old 11-23-17, 12:24 AM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
I don't know. Troy had several qualified candidates just within their school that were teachers they could have hired. They instead went out and got a guy they needed. He has turned them from being a door mat to back to back playoff seasons.
They went outside after going inside and having three miserable seasons, 4-6, 3-7, 1-9. No one was going to games and Brewer was just not holding up the standards of the program. There were a couple of others that wanted it, but none of them really had the experience to be a head coach. I think it was a combination of trying to get something better and not having the best resources that made Troy go outside.

Any word on Geron Stokes? He applied for Troy I believe..Minster is really good and Stokes could be looking for a bigger job. I donít think Butler is quite the same job as Piqua or Troy as far as dedication to football but I think you could build a solid program that could compete for a conference championship with those two and Tipp City every year.
Old 11-23-17, 08:52 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRunsNDunks View Post
They went outside after going inside and having three miserable seasons, 4-6, 3-7, 1-9. No one was going to games and Brewer was just not holding up the standards of the program. There were a couple of others that wanted it, but none of them really had the experience to be a head coach. I think it was a combination of trying to get something better and not having the best resources that made Troy go outside.

Any word on Geron Stokes? He applied for Troy I believe..Minster is really good and Stokes could be looking for a bigger job. I donít think Butler is quite the same job as Piqua or Troy as far as dedication to football but I think you could build a solid program that could compete for a conference championship with those two and Tipp City every year.
I think you hit the nail on the head with how you phrased it. Butler has not had the dedication to football like Piqua and Troy. Thatís been a big part of the problem. The success of those two schools in my opinion goes back to school, community and local support. They take the sport seriously and they have hired football men.
Old 11-23-17, 12:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I guess it was announced to the team and parents, whenever they had the awards banquet, that the next head coach should be hired towards the end of January. Also heard that there is nearly a 0% chance this job goes to someone currently teaching in the district. I don't know if asst coaches on the current staff that teach in other districts are going to be considered. There are two or three that have enough experience to be at least given an interview.
Good to hear. I think itís important that they go outside. There are a few guys on the current staff that have been/ could be head coaches but I think for the sake of trying to break the cycle itís time to bring in a complete outsider.
Old 11-28-17, 12:16 PM
All Ohio

Any news here? Names in the mix? Interviews scheduled? With the UT deal falling through Schiano could still be a possibility.
Old 11-28-17, 01:52 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Any news here? Names in the mix? Interviews scheduled? With the UT deal falling through Schiano could still be a possibility.
I don't think they are even taking applications yet. Job has not been posted on the OHSAA website. With the time line for a hire being the end of January I wouldn't expect interviews to start until after the New Year.
Old 11-28-17, 02:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I don't think they are even taking applications yet. Job has not been posted on the OHSAA website. With the time line for a hire being the end of January I wouldn't expect interviews to start until after the New Year.
Makes sense......thank you.
Old 11-29-17, 12:20 PM
All Ohio

TheBenchwarmer is on a distinguished road
Don’t expect too much outside interest here. When a young coach isn’t given more than two years to turn a program around it’s not a good look. Butler is lucky to have some great assistants that will have an interest and I could see Gillespie, Koch, Gueth or LaVoie stepping in as HC. I just hope they have more support from the community.
Old 11-29-17, 12:29 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchwarmer View Post
Donít expect too much outside interest here. When a young coach isnít given more than two years to turn a program around itís not a good look. Butler is lucky to have some great assistants that will have an interest and I could see Gillespie, Koch, Gueth or LaVoie stepping in as HC. I just hope they have more support from the community.

Lol! Turn the program around? It went backwards. It has nothing to do with the community. Coaches didnít want to coach with the you and the players didnít want to play for you. Get over yourself.

Old 11-29-17, 01:13 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Donít expect too much outside interest here. When a young coach isnít given more than two years to turn a program around itís not a good look. Butler is lucky to have some great assistants that will have an interest and I could see Gillespie, Koch, Gueth or LaVoie stepping in as HC. I just hope they have more support from the community.
Only one of the guys you mentioned has any shot at all. There is going to be a lot of outside interest in being the Head Coach at Butler. A small part of why people wanted Hyatt out was on the field performance. It had much more to do with his personality and inability to deal with asst coaches and parents.
Old 11-29-17, 01:15 PM
Junior Varsity

ButlerParent is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Hyatt is back havent seen you in a year on here.

They won the league before you took over moron.
Old 11-29-17, 01:36 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerParent View Post
Hyatt is back havent seen you in a year on here.

They won the league before you took over moron.
Are you guys sure that's Hyatt? Find it hard to believe that he would say he had some great assist coaches after some of them demanded he be removed. Can someone clue me in here?
Old 11-29-17, 02:11 PM
All Ohio

TheBenchwarmer is on a distinguished road
I’m not Hyatt give me a break. Never have claimed to be and have been here long before he was ever coach so not really sure where that nonsense came from. It seems that anyone on here that is not part of the witch mob gets accused of being Hyatt. It’s silly nonsense.
Old 11-29-17, 04:55 PM
Junior Varsity

ButlerParent is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I’m not Hyatt give me a break. Never have claimed to be and have been here long before he was ever coach so not really sure where that nonsense came from. It seems that anyone on here that is not part of the witch mob gets accused of being Hyatt. It’s silly nonsense.
You said turn the program around they were the champs when he took over. Explain that.
Old 11-30-17, 11:38 AM
Junior Varsity

The only thing that I am aware of that could potentially scare off a potential Head Coach is the lack of numbers and overall talent in what would be next year's Junior and Sophomore classes. Next year's Senior class is pretty descent and they should have a good season. Once that class is gone it is slim pickings, especially up front. Sophomore classes that year should be good, but I don't think you can win games with their schedule with a bunch of Sophomores. Point is, would you want to be a new coach going into a situation where your first few years the talent level is going to be significantly less than what is necessary to be successful?