Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-15-17, 10:28 AM
All Ohio

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Derge is not going anywhere, especially not Butler. He wants to raise his family in Tipp and his job is not in jeopardy.
Old 11-15-17, 10:43 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I will give you a name that's off the radar. He will get your guys in the right state of mind and get you turned around. Shane Carter. A friend of mine who was an assistant at Troy. Now is head coach at Northwestern. He's only been there a year and I have no idea if he'd be interested or not. They were 1-9 before he took over and went 4-6 this year. They were competitive in every game this year and beat Shawnee. That's a solid win.

If I were you guys I would give him a good look. He's young and has fire. He also has played the game at a high level (played at Wisconsin).
Old 11-15-17, 11:21 AM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Derge is not going anywhere, especially not Butler. He wants to raise his family in Tipp and his job is not in jeopardy.
Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe that Mr. Derge lives in Tippecanoe district does he?
Old 11-15-17, 11:53 AM
Junior Varsity

VBHSFB04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerParent View Post
The probelm was coaching. Worst defense in league gave up almost 400 yards a game. And the whole dline was all league. Thats coaching. Offense scored 30 game but it should have been better. Threw it too much and turned it over because of it. Coaching was a major problem.
So I guess we can add you to the list of applicants?
Old 11-15-17, 11:54 AM
All Ohio

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thatís good to hear I think he and his staff have done a nice job.
Old 11-15-17, 11:57 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
I will give you a name that's off the radar. He will get your guys in the right state of mind and get you turned around. Shane Carter. A friend of mine who was an assistant at Troy. Now is head coach at Northwestern. He's only been there a year and I have no idea if he'd be interested or not. They were 1-9 before he took over and went 4-6 this year. They were competitive in every game this year and beat Shawnee. That's a solid win.

If I were you guys I would give him a good look. He's young and has fire. He also has played the game at a high level (played at Wisconsin).
Itís funny that you say that because I honestly thought to myself what a great hire he was when he took the Northwestern job. I agree that he would be a solid candidate. Good young coach with a high football IQ and a short but solid HC resume. I like it.
Old 11-15-17, 01:21 PM
All Region

HSFB is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=HistoryTeacher;6913245]This will be an interesting pool of candidates.

Other than the usuals a short list of D4-D7 coaches who could get a look:
(Just my thoughts, I do not know of any actual interest for these men)

Mike Hetrick- HC Brookville (continued success)
Scott Clodfelter- HC Bethel (big school and small school success)
Neil Kasner- HC Greeneview (he just seems to win everywhere but has a comfortable gig)
Mike Brown- HC Carlisle (continued success at increasing levels)
Ty Cates- HC Covington (coming off a down year but intriguing)

Kasner was not the Head Coach this year.
Old 11-15-17, 02:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe that Mr. Derge lives in Tippecanoe district does he?
I believe he has a Tipp City adress but lives in bethels school district
Old 11-15-17, 02:29 PM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
Most people might scoff at the notion that this job is an "attractive gig". If you're just looking at the win/loss totals over the last 15 years it's not great. But if you look beyond that, I think that there is a lot to like about this opportunity.

Right off the top of my head I can list a few points that I see as being a draw for potential candidates:

- Great facilities. The Kudla Center for Strength is a big, state-of-the-art, first class facility. The football stadium is newly updated, should have a video board in place next season, and has a synthetic playing surface. The latter of which will be upgraded within the next three years with the latest/greatest version of field turf.

Strong conference in the GWOC, and plays in the ultra competitive American North Division. While this division is competitive, it's certainly winnable each and every year with Northmont and Trotwood out of the picture.

- Good athletes. While Butler doesn't have the numbers of a DI school, there are a lot of great athletes in the halls. To that point, there are great athletes that for whatever reason are not playing football. Tap into that resource.

- Good returning core. Butler will lose a lot of great talent to graduation...but so will every other program in the league and area. Butler does return a good core of talent, which at the very least gives the new coach a strong base on which he can build upon.

As for the new coach, I don't care if this person is from within the district or outside, as long as they really put the emphasis on getting the right coach. I don't know all of the factors that went into the decision to move on from Coach Hyatt, and for this discussion it really doesn't matter at this point. The focus now has to be on identifying the coach that can establish this program as a contender year in and year out. It certainly doesn't mean that they will win the North each year, but it certainly would be nice to hear Butler in the conversation each and every season.
Old 11-15-17, 02:41 PM
All Ohio

Shane Carter would be a homerun hire IMO.
Old 11-15-17, 02:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Shane Carter would be a homerun hire IMO.
No doubt about it.
Old 11-15-17, 03:13 PM
All Ohio

I’d be curious to know if this job got much interest two years ago when they were replacing Busch. I think the board has to vote and it ends up being a budget thing so we prolly won’t even hear anything until January.
Old 11-15-17, 03:14 PM
All Ohio

I’m really liking that Shane Carter idea guess if I had a wish list he’d be pretty high up there.
Old 11-15-17, 03:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_isnt_free View Post
Iím really liking that Shane Carter idea guess if I had a wish list heíd be pretty high up there.
I'm telling you right now your AD better get on the phone quick because there are going to be teams lined up for him before long. Still a relatively unknown guy out there right now. We all know Northwestern isn't a destination job. Butler would be a perfect fit.

He is great around kids/young men. He is the director of the Lincoln Community Center in Troy. He will create a yes sir no sir attitude in Vandalia and make every single player respect his authority. Everyone will take responsibility for their actions, and he will take no crap. If you want a change in culture then he's your guy. Furthermore, these young kids will be molded into great men. It's more than football for him. A big family/faith guy. Life after football is what he is concerned with, along with a competitive drive.

It's also a plus he's in his early 30's and can relate personally to these players.

Can you tell I'm high on him lol?
Old 11-15-17, 03:30 PM
Junior Varsity

A Tipp guy and a Troy guy recommending a Butler coach? I sense collusion and sabotage. Put me in the never Carter camp.
Old 11-15-17, 03:48 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I'm telling you right now your AD better get on the phone quick because there are going to be teams lined up for him before long. Still a relatively unknown guy out there right now. We all know Northwestern isn't a destination job. Butler would be a perfect fit.

He is great around kids/young men. He is the director of the Lincoln Community Center in Troy. He will create a yes sir no sir attitude in Vandalia and make every single player respect his authority. Everyone will take responsibility for their actions, and he will take no crap. If you want a change in culture then he's your guy. Furthermore, these young kids will be molded into great men. It's more than football for him. A big family/faith guy. Life after football is what he is concerned with, along with a competitive drive.

It's also a plus he's in his early 30's and can relate personally to these players.

Can you tell I'm high on him lol?
There is not a problem with the attitudes of the kids at Butler. There are good relationships between the players and the assistants. What they need is a leader that they believe in. A environment that makes kids want to come out to be a part of the team, not run them off. Someone that understands the program is about the players and not a vehicle for their own self promotion.
Old 11-15-17, 03:49 PM
Varsity

BleedPurple&Gold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerAviator83 View Post
Most people might scoff at the notion that this job is an "attractive gig". If you're just looking at the win/loss totals over the last 15 years it's not great. But if you look beyond that, I think that there is a lot to like about this opportunity.

Right off the top of my head I can list a few points that I see as being a draw for potential candidates:

- Great facilities. The Kudla Center for Strength is a big, state-of-the-art, first class facility. The football stadium is newly updated, should have a video board in place next season, and has a synthetic playing surface. The latter of which will be upgraded within the next three years with the latest/greatest version of field turf.

Strong conference in the GWOC, and plays in the ultra competitive American North Division. While this division is competitive, it's certainly winnable each and every year with Northmont and Trotwood out of the picture.

- Good athletes. While Butler doesn't have the numbers of a DI school, there are a lot of great athletes in the halls. To that point, there are great athletes that for whatever reason are not playing football. Tap into that resource.

- Good returning core. Butler will lose a lot of great talent to graduation...but so will every other program in the league and area. Butler does return a good core of talent, which at the very least gives the new coach a strong base on which he can build upon.

As for the new coach, I don't care if this person is from within the district or outside, as long as they really put the emphasis on getting the right coach. I don't know all of the factors that went into the decision to move on from Coach Hyatt, and for this discussion it really doesn't matter at this point. The focus now has to be on identifying the coach that can establish this program as a contender year in and year out. It certainly doesn't mean that they will win the North each year, but it certainly would be nice to hear Butler in the conversation each and every season.

Could not agree with you more. You have around 15-20 juniors that started or rotated with the starters this year. A qb that basically started for the last 2 years so he will be a 3rd year qb and a good young supporting cast to fill in the holes. You also have a young AD that is working his off to put Butler athletics at the top. This will be his man so I think he will be looking for someone that is young and aggressive like himself. Then the training facilityís is a huge plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-17, 08:16 AM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Candidates for the Butler job

Scott Clodfelter- turned Beavercreek from 2-38 into a very competitive program. Currently just turned Bethel around and was in the playoffs this year. Proven winner.

Rick Meeks- overall successful tenure at Shawnee. He applies for every job mostly to use it as leverage at Shawnee but non the less he'll probably apply.

Eric Gilespie- already on staff former HC at Richmond and Springfield. Not sure if he would want it or they would consider a guy on the last staff.

Rick Robertson- 25+ year veteran Head Coach at Fairmont, Springfield North, Springfield, Oakwood.... i wonder if he would look to get back into head coaching.

Any successful area assistants ready to be a HC?
Old 11-16-17, 08:17 AM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple&Gold View Post
Could not agree with you more. You have around 15-20 juniors that started or rotated with the starters this year. A qb that basically started for the last 2 years so he will be a 3rd year qb and a good young supporting cast to fill in the holes. You also have a young AD that is working his off to put Butler athletics at the top. This will be his man so I think he will be looking for someone that is young and aggressive like himself. Then the training facility’s is a huge plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was a great post 83 and purple and gold, you nailed it.

I really liked Bush as a coach. Is there any chance he would dive back in? The rumors on here is he quit due to issues with Admin. If that Admin=AD, and there is a new one, could that get him back?
Old 11-16-17, 08:21 AM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
I will throw a random out there. I believe one of the Pelfrey sons is an alumni and has coached as an asst. at many big schools in the GWOC North. (Troy, VB). That would be a neat connection to one of the best coaches VB has had. No clue if even interested.

Wow, you guys make it sound like the Carter thing would be such a great thing for VB. Any worry that if he leaves his current school after a few years, he would bolt VB after a few for a bigger opp? I guess that is a risk with any young HS coach and worth taking.

If Carter played under Nolan, another benefit from benefiting under Nolan all the years (I dont know the timing of when he played though)
Old 11-16-17, 08:35 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
I will throw a random out there. I believe one of the Pelfrey sons is an alumni and has coached as an asst. at many big schools in the GWOC North. (Troy, VB). That would be a neat connection to one of the best coaches VB has had. No clue if even interested.

Wow, you guys make it sound like the Carter thing would be such a great thing for VB. Any worry that if he leaves his current school after a few years, he would bolt VB after a few for a bigger opp? I guess that is a risk with any young HS coach and worth taking.

If Carter played under Nolan, another benefit from benefiting under Nolan all the years (I dont know the timing of when he played though)
He played under Nolan. And also played under Barry Alvarez and Bret Bielema at Wisconsin. A lot of good tutelage.
Old 11-16-17, 08:40 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is also due to the fact that Dues is an amazing coach. Lets also be honest here, having a good baseball team doesn't mean you have the athletes to be competitive in football and basketball. A baseball athlete is a different type of athlete. Not in a bad way. Do you get what I'm saying?
Yes I do I'm a baseball guy played college baseball but that's not my point. My point is the athletes are in the building if they can win in baseball consistently they can win consistently in football and basketball with the correct leadership. Zawadski consistently won in hoops they were a game away from Columbus in 02'. His teams stayed in the top 5 in the area.You can't tell me they don't have those type of athletes walking the halls in a school that size?
Old 11-16-17, 08:56 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBHSFB04 View Post
Heck, I'll settle for somebody who will throw the ball to Johnson about 10 times a game. For that kid to have a little over 20 catches on the season is ridiculous. I guess that's where I would disagree with you about sub par coaching.

As far as the next coach goes, I'm pretty confident this job will go to an outside candidate this time. Of the current staff only one teaches at the High School and he's a fairly young guy. There is only a few that have been coordinators and 1 ex Head Coach. There possibly may be nobody on the staff that wants the job.

IMO, they need to hire a guy that has Head Coaching experience because he's walking into what seems to be a little bit of a pressure cooker. It's hard to say because nobody seems to know what the exact circumstances were that either got him fired or made him decide to resign.

Short list of potential candidates that come to mind are pretty familiar.
Lance Scheider
Rick Meeks HC Springfield Shawnee
John Puckett DC Centerville
John Cupps DC Middletown
Andy Aracri DL Centerville Ex Fairmont HC
Rick Robertson Maybe?
Why would hire guys that really haven't had much success anywhere else?
The young guys I agree with but Schneider fired at Northmont,Shawnee Is losing players left and right,Aracri fired at Fairmont ,Robertson fired from Springfield.
What will they do different at Butler? Don't bring in a retread. The results will be the same. Bring in a fresh,new,energetic face.
Old 11-16-17, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
IMO Shane Carter is going to have a difficult time getting a head coaching job at a bigger school such as Butler since he's not a teacher. Honestly, I think the only reason he got the NW job is because it opened late in the spring and they probably didn't have any open teaching positions. From what I've seen, head coaches in football and basketball are rarely non-teachers, and usually administrators will send over backwards to get a coach in those sports in the building. If Carter taught, especially something like special ed, he'd be moving up the ladder quickly.

It's an intriguing name IMO though due to the Butler AD being a NW grad. All things considered, I thought Carter did a nice job in year 1 and I expect good things next year should he return to NW as they'll have a ton of 2-3 year starters. Last year they would have been poor regardless of the coach due to being very sophomore heavy.
Old 11-16-17, 10:41 AM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Carter played at Troy 2002, 2003 and 2004. 04 was a playoff year. Lost to Westerville South in first round. Led by Cody Boyd (1800 yds) and on defense by Todd Denlinger(Ohio State) and Ryan Custer (Vanderbilt).
Old 11-16-17, 10:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy73 View Post
Carter played at Troy 2002, 2003 and 2004. 04 was a playoff year. Lost to Westerville South in first round. Led by Cody Boyd (1800 yds) and on defense by Todd Denlinger(Ohio State) and Ryan Custer (Vanderbilt).
Correct me if im wrong but isnt he the brother/ cousin of Chris Carter?
Old 11-16-17, 11:12 AM
All World

Quote:
Correct me if im wrong but isnt he the brother/ cousin of Chris Carter?
Super athletic family. He is the half brother of Cris and Butch Carter. 2 of his other brothers also played college athletics. His full brother played at BG for football and other full brother played basketball at an NAIA school.
Old 11-16-17, 11:31 AM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
I would assume after the last debacle that Butler will want someone more established as a head coach or established assistant at a winning program. I do not see a one year head coach as being a legitimate candidate to sell the fan base (unless that head coach won a title or conference championship). That is just me. If I remember Carter, he learned some valuable life lessons of his own his senior year at Wisconsin so I am personally glad to see he made a success of himself.
Old 11-16-17, 12:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Yes I do I'm a baseball guy played college baseball but that's not my point. My point is the athletes are in the building if they can win in baseball consistently they can win consistently in football and basketball with the correct leadership. Zawadski consistently won in hoops they were a game away from Columbus in 02'. His teams stayed in the top 5 in the area.You can't tell me they don't have those type of athletes walking the halls in a school that size?
Agree with this. Z always had a competitive team sometimes with great talent but mostly with average talent. In any given year they could slow down the likes of Trotwood or Springfield and make them play Butlerís slow tempo. Dues does the same with baseball. Always competitive regardless of the talent. Good coaching goes a really long way in all sports but especially high school sports. With a good coach and common sense scheduling there is no reason Butler canít be consistently good at football.
Old 11-16-17, 12:50 PM
All Ohio

I agree with staying away from retreads. Get a good assistant or a young upstart coach. I would not want to hire from the current staff. Nothing personal but I just think it’s more of the same and Butler always pulls guys from the previous staff or someone with Butler ties. It’s time to change that and not let the whole “he has to be a teacher” thing dictate the hire. Get a coach and if he happens to teach great. The Butler AD seems like he wants to build a winner and he has already done great things at Butler. Good opportunity for him to hit a homer in with this hire.