Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-17-17, 07:27 AM
All District

Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
CHL Basketball 2017-18

Its never too early to start talking basketball. With the football regular season winding down and fall workouts in full force I am curious to know how people see the CHL shaping up this season? Wyoming has been the team to beat in the past but with players graduating are they still at the top of the list? Thoughts on how the league will play out this season?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-17, 07:16 AM
All District

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Wyoming always seems to be the team to beat but Indian Hill will be strong too. Deer Park will also be very good - especially if Gentry continues to bring in more recruits....I mean transfers. If Cravack plays, Madeira could also contend for CHL title. Bryce Hunt will help Reading. Should be an interesting year in the CHL.
Old 10-18-17, 07:29 AM
All District

Do you see Deer Park contending for the title?
Old 10-18-17, 05:25 PM
All District

Yes, I think they can
Old 10-28-17, 04:13 PM
All World

tucker
Who has gentry brought in? Do they have open enrollment?
Old 10-29-17, 10:50 AM
All District

That's the issue - Deer Park does not have open enrollment. It stinks to high heaven. I've heard 3 or 4 new kids on top of 3 or 4 last year. One got an apartment, others living with them, others not even faking it to live in district- it's a joke and nothing is being done to stop it.
Old 10-29-17, 12:56 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
Yes, I think they can
Well they can't. They will finish 5th at best.
Old 10-29-17, 07:43 PM
All District

Quote:
That's the issue - Deer Park does not have open enrollment. It stinks to high heaven. I've heard 3 or 4 new kids on top of 3 or 4 last year. One got an apartment, others living with them, others not even faking it to live in district- it's a joke and nothing is being done to stop it.
At least 8 kids there illegally as far as I'm told. Figure it's only a matter of time before someone investigates or blows the whistle.
Old 10-29-17, 09:23 PM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
replacing Grayson and Prater for Wyoming will be tough. 37 pts a game between the 2
Grayson was the only player in the CHL to Avg 20 or more a game.
Edmonds is going to the the "stud" for Wyoming don't really know what they had past those 3 scoring wise.

Shaw and Fiore return for IH (top 2 scores from last season)

If Cravaack returns for madeira that's Huge. they have KJ returning as well. (top 2 scores)

Mark Wise was a freshmen for deer park and avg'ed 14 a game (transfer from Aiken)
they also return Rose and Athie (Aithie was a spohmore)

tripp returns for Mairemont. But trester (10 pts 12 boards a game) graduated

I think Deer Park has a legit shot to make a run at the CHL BBall title as well.
They were young last year
Lost to madeira by 7 pts combined in both games last year.
IH and Wyoming handled them BUT a lot of the production came from the upper classmen (why wouldn't it)

I don't follow CHL bball like I used too BUT 10 or so years ago Deer park had a REALLY good run and won the CHL in 08.

Wyoming , IH , Deer park , Madeira top 4 In no particular order
Old 10-29-17, 09:58 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post
replacing Grayson and Prater for Wyoming will be tough. 37 pts a game between the 2
Grayson was the only player in the CHL to Avg 20 or more a game.
Edmonds is going to the the "stud" for Wyoming don't really know what they had past those 3 scoring wise.

Shaw and Fiore return for IH (top 2 scores from last season)

If Cravaack returns for madeira that's Huge. they have KJ returning as well. (top 2 scores)

Mark Wise was a freshmen for deer park and avg'ed 14 a game (transfer from Aiken)
they also return Rose and Athie (Aithie was a spohmore)

tripp returns for Mairemont. But trester (10 pts 12 boards a game) graduated

I think Deer Park has a legit shot to make a run at the CHL BBall title as well.
They were young last year
Lost to madeira by 7 pts combined in both games last year.
IH and Wyoming handled them BUT a lot of the production came from the upper classmen (why wouldn't it)

I don't follow CHL bball like I used too BUT 10 or so years ago Deer park had a REALLY good run and won the CHL in 08.

Wyoming , IH , Deer park , Madeira top 4 In no particular order
Good analysis. The younger Prater is a very good player and may not completely fill the shoes of his older brother yet but he won't be far off and I believe that Edmonds will average 20+ this year with Grayson gone.
Mariemont loses a lot of size with Trester and Dougherty gone. Agree with your top 4
Old 10-31-17, 07:51 AM
Freshman

The Ice Man is on a distinguished road
Going to be a great year in CHL

As an AAU coach and a high school ref (mostly JV...working my way up) I see many of these kids both in school and club ball....2 kids to look for in the CHL...Tall, red headed kid from Madeira...Sam (can't remember last name)...6'3 or 4 sophomore...great all rounder and can shoot lights out...super handle...I tried to land him on my AAU team last year....Lopez...Sophomore at Indian Hill...PG...great skills...super quick...small..not much range as a shooter but can flat out ball! Watch out for these 2...The Deer Park situation smells rotten...not too long before they give Gentry the door...I have family in DP...those people are pissed...
Old 11-01-17, 02:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
As an AAU coach and a high school ref (mostly JV...working my way up) I see many of these kids both in school and club ball....2 kids to look for in the CHL...Tall, red headed kid from Madeira...Sam (can't remember last name)...6'3 or 4 sophomore...great all rounder and can shoot lights out...super handle...I tried to land him on my AAU team last year...
Solinski I believe is the Madeira player.
Old 11-02-17, 11:18 AM
All District

Just saw a publication that had Deer Park ranked as the best Division 3 school in Cincinnati. Are they that good? Dont know much about the team.
Old 11-02-17, 11:21 AM
All Region

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles123 View Post
Just saw a publication that had Deer Park ranked as the best Division 3 school in Cincinnati. Are they that good? Dont know much about the team.
what publication was it? can you post a link ? As far as are they that good? Who knows, they return Wise, Athe, and Rose, and add like 5 new guys that werent at Deer Park last year and arent freshmen. They will be good, but? Its going to be interesting for sure
Old 11-02-17, 11:24 AM
All District

https://tripledoubleprospects.com/hs-preview/
Old 11-02-17, 01:01 PM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
From Eagles123 and MooseJaw:

"At least 8 kids there illegally as far as I'm told. Figure it's only a matter of time before someone investigates or blows the whistle.
That's the issue - Deer Park does not have open enrollment. It stinks to high heaven. I've heard 3 or 4 new kids on top of 3 or 4 last year. One got an apartment, others living with them, others not even faking it to live in district- it's a joke and nothing is being done to stop it."

How does this happen when there isn't Open Enrollment at Deer Park--new subdivisions going up?
Old 11-02-17, 04:57 PM
Freshman

Red1234 is on a distinguished road
You don't no what u are talking about im a proud deer park fan and I have given these kids rides they all have house or apartments in the district so shut your mouth!! Or come with facts
Old 11-02-17, 05:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1234 View Post
You don't no what u are talking about im a proud deer park fan and I have given these kids rides they all have house or apartments in the district so shut your mouth!! Or come with facts
Hereís the problem though is are they living in those homes and or apartments with their custodial parent? You can drop them off where ever you want doesnít mean that is the address of their custodial parent. Ohsaa rules say they must live with a custodial parent. The issue with deer park not being open enrollment is if they are not with a custodial parent forget eligibility to play basketball they arenít even allowed to be enrolled in the school. Also there will be 8 of say 12 kids on the team that were not at deer park in 8th grade. 5 of the 8 transfered in this year. Can they prove they transfered for non athletic reasons? I hope everything is on the up and up. If there is one thing the deer park community is they are loyal and supportive of their deer park kids regardless of wins and losses they pack their gym to watch Deer Park kids play. Are deer park parents going to be ok with going to the game and seeing 0 deer park kids ok the floor?
Old 11-02-17, 05:42 PM
Freshman

I think deer park is good and now you guys are just trying to make up something how do you no if they live in the district or not and these are kids that we are talking we are loyal to them no matter when they have came they are here and there not even 8 transfers so you really don't even no what your talking about
Old 11-02-17, 05:53 PM
Freshman

Becuase I know who these kids are and where they are from and it is not DP....I don't care if DP is good or not...they had a helluva team about 10 years ago that was fun to watch....This isn't Gentry's first rodeo...be careful!
Old 11-02-17, 06:09 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Becuase I know who these kids are and where they are from and it is not DP....I don't care if DP is good or not...they had a helluva team about 10 years ago that was fun to watch....This isn't Gentry's first rodeo...be careful!
And who are you how do you no these kids
Old 11-02-17, 07:02 PM
All District

Quote:
I think deer park is good and now you guys are just trying to make up something how do you no if they live in the district or not and these are kids that we are talking we are loyal to them no matter when they have came they are here and there not even 8 transfers so you really don't even no what your talking about
If you know all these kids then why don't you tell us where they are from? Did you not read the article listed above? 6 kids are listed that were not in Deer Park schools 2 years ago when Gentry started and one even came all the way from Virginia this year.
Old 11-02-17, 07:12 PM
Freshman

Quote:
If you know all these kids then why don't you tell us where they are from? Did you not read the article listed above? 6 kids are listed that were not in Deer Park schools 2 years ago when Gentry started and one even came all the way from Virginia this year.
So answer this question genius how are they enrolled in the school if they don't leave in the district
Old 11-02-17, 07:17 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, trust me, Deer Park is legit.

Don't ask me how I got this info, but one of their "new" football coaches from this past season posted this status on Facebook several days ago.

"Do anybody know any 8th graders going to the 9th that play football? Or any high school boys who arenít happy with their situation with their current team? Please inbox me"

Tick tock. Tick tock.
Old 11-02-17, 07:22 PM
Freshman

Bylaw 4-7-3 Regarding transfers Note #3: Regarding state law permitting non-enrolled students to participate for the public schools in their residential districts, the definition of transfer is applicable only to the specific sport that the student played at the school in which the student was not enrolled. When that student returns to the enrolled school to participate in a different sport, the transfer bylaw does not apply.
IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO TRANSFER FROM OUT OF STATE OR TO A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SCHOOL DISTRICT! WHAT'S WRONG WITH GETTING A GOID QUALITY EDUCATION??? THOSE YPING GUYS ARE STUDENT ATHLETES THAT ARE ENROLLED AT THE SCHOOL AND THE GUYS THAT ARE RETURNING FROM LAST YEAR'S TEAM ARE SCHOLARS!!!
Old 11-02-17, 08:24 PM
All District

Quote:
Bylaw 4-7-3 Regarding transfers Note #3: Regarding state law permitting non-enrolled students to participate for the public schools in their residential districts, the definition of transfer is applicable only to the specific sport that the student played at the school in which the student was not enrolled. When that student returns to the enrolled school to participate in a different sport, the transfer bylaw does not apply.
IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO TRANSFER FROM OUT OF STATE OR TO A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SCHOOL DISTRICT! WHAT'S WRONG WITH GETTING A GOID QUALITY EDUCATION??? THOSE YPING GUYS ARE STUDENT ATHLETES THAT ARE ENROLLED AT THE SCHOOL AND THE GUYS THAT ARE RETURNING FROM LAST YEAR'S TEAM ARE SCHOLARS!!!
Relax there Red - no one saying that it is illegal to transfer to another school but we are saying that if that happens, you better damn well be living in the district with your guardian. And don't even go there that these kids are transferring to get an education - they are transferring there to play basketball...end of story.
Old 11-02-17, 08:41 PM
Freshman

I am a hs ref and have coached AAU for
10 years...I see almost every kid in the coty
At some point...like I said I could care less how good
DP is or isn't...but as an OHSAA official
I think it smells fishy...have Gentry fired or
Quit and see how many stay for the education lol.
Old 11-02-17, 09:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
I didnít say they had 8 transfers. They have 8-9
Kids that werenít at deer park in 8th grade and came their only to play for gentry period. They have 3 new transfers this year. Here they are listed below
Steven Gentry soph at Purcell last year
Deshaun Mcentire soph at Purcell last year
Damani Mcentire was at oak hill academy last year
Jalen Rose, Athie, and hocker all started at different schools.
Dude for real if this was an open enrollment school no one would say much but itís not and it stinks to high heaven.
Old 11-02-17, 09:31 PM
Freshman

humblechicajp is on a distinguished road
Academics First!!!

Quote:
Relax there Red - no one saying that it is illegal to transfer to another school but we are saying that if that happens, you better damn well be living in the district with your guardian. And don't even go there that these kids are transferring to get an education - they are transferring there to play basketball...end of story.
First off the assumption is always sports First off with the Jalen Rose transfer situation it came down to: ACADEMICS First that kid has 2 parents that played Division 1 basketball they both hold graduate and post graduate degrees respectively and 2 Jalen has a younger sister (freshman) whom was not happy attending CPS school!
Old 11-02-17, 11:00 PM
Freshman

Ok...not to be offensive but people do not go to DP for academics...and remember..I have family there...my sister and her kids....An Aunt and several second cousins...You want academics? Walnut is a top school IN THE STATE!...Then there is Madeira, IH, Mariemont...Sycamore...not to mention the GCL...Rose's parents (athletes themselves) wanted their son to play for Gentry and moved to DP...which is legit...but don't play the academics card...that is laughable...DP is alot of things...good people...strong families... but it is no Walnut Hills lmfao