Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-24-17, 03:25 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
I guess the question then becomes how do you get inner-city kids interested in a sport that isn't basketball or football? I mean even baseball, an affordable sport with a storied history in this country and with more media exposure, struggles in getting inner-city kids to play.

It's been said before, but the pay-to-model is a big challenge in expanding access to the game. But it's not the only challenge: Kids have to want to play.
I disagree that the current model for baseball is affordable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-17, 08:33 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
I disagree that the current model for baseball is affordable.

I just meant that it's affordable in terms of individuals getting started to play (equipment, facilities costs, etc.). Soccer has the same advantage.
Old 10-30-17, 04:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
I just meant that it's affordable in terms of individuals getting started to play (equipment, facilities costs, etc.). Soccer has the same advantage.
I still disagree with even that, but that a conversation for another place.

Old 10-30-17, 04:29 PM
All World

http://www.ussoccerda.com/20171026-F...e-participants

Of course it's an article written by the DA so it's going to hit on all the points they want highlighted, but it does ring pretty true with everything I've seen and experienced so far. Plus it features CUP specifically in it.

Old 10-31-17, 05:59 AM
All Ohio

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
http://www.ussoccerda.com/20171026-F...e-participants

Of course it's an article written by the DA so it's going to hit on all the points they want highlighted, but it does ring pretty true with everything I've seen and experienced so far. Plus it features CUP specifically in it.

It still requires 3,000-4,000 in club fees and families who can afford to send their 13 yo player to Texas for a weekend of soccer games. I am not saying what CUP is doing is wrong, but it does not address what may be the biggest problem. Pay-to play which means your development is focused on kids born into households with $100K+ family income.
Old 10-31-17, 06:10 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
It still requires 3,000-4,000 in club fees and families who can afford to send their 13 yo player to Texas for a weekend of soccer games. I am not saying what CUP is doing is wrong, but it does not address what may be the biggest problem. Pay-to play which means your development is focused on kids born into households with $100K+ family income.
I'm in complete agreement. I will say that there are fully funded DA teams, where it costs nothing to play with them. Columbus Crew is one. I'm not sure the number that are fully funded, but since it's obviously not all of them, it's not enough for me.

What I've noticed with a lot of the teams is they either own buses or rent them for travel. So the team travels as a group under the supervision of the club. This significantly cuts down on added costs for families as you don't have to travel at all if you want. From what I can tell the majority of clubs have their own buses.

CUP, being new and not an MLS club, has a large financial and learning curve to catch up on. I've talked with many of the CUP administration and I know that this is something they are fully aware of and are taking notes on this inaugural year for what they can do to be better going forward. The bus portion is something they are strongly considering. In my opinion, as their DA presence grows their sponsorship will grow as well, which will help them make additions to help with player costs.

Old 10-31-17, 06:17 AM
All World

And after reading my comments back I'd just like to say I do NOT work for CUP lol. I'm just a parent that has had children within the organization, including the current DA, and I see the tremendous benefits of what they are doing, especially if your child is one of the top in the area for their age.

Old 10-31-17, 08:22 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
And after reading my comments back I'd just like to say I do NOT work for CUP lol. I'm just a parent that has had children within the organization, including the current DA, and I see the tremendous benefits of what they are doing, especially if your child is one of the top in the area for their age.

I am not being critical of CUP. I believe they are doing everything they can to bridge the gap between their vision and the current reality. I am 100% certain the folks at CUP would like to provide a soccer environment that is more accessible and has less parental influence/investment. Someday it will happen.
Old 10-31-17, 10:21 AM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
Important today, the NASL lawsuit is in the courtroom.

I'm sure there will be some interesting news about it soon-ish.
Old 10-31-17, 05:47 PM
All Yappi

With everything going on involving the USMNT's elimination from the World Cup and the Crew possibly moving to Austin, I have been reading a lot from people who argue that MLS is a big part of the problem. I'll be curious to see what happens with the aforementioned NASL lawsuit and the development of the new NISA.
Old 10-31-17, 06:19 PM
All District

steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Recruit from the inner city. Rich kids suck at sports. But that’s like saying water is wet
WINNER WINNER!!! Of the most ignorant post ever on Yappi. Explain to me genius what a parent's income has to do with athletic ability of a child?

Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?
Old 10-31-17, 07:06 PM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelboot View Post
WINNER WINNER!!! Of the most ignorant post ever on Yappi. Explain to me genius what a parent's income has to do with athletic ability of a child?

And I'm the clown....
Old 10-31-17, 07:33 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If you can’t comprehend that, me explaining it to you would be a waste of time
Old 10-31-17, 08:06 PM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
If you can’t comprehend that, me explaining it to you would be a waste of time
Lol..... The book of long lost mysteries of the complete BS... I know I have a dusty copy in my basement... Next to the bodies of course...

Book never had anything to say about skiing, however.

Last edited by 2731; 10-31-17 at 08:19 PM..
Old 10-31-17, 11:58 PM
All World

Quote:
It doesn't, BUT if only rich kids have the opportunity to play because the cost is so high, the pool of available players shrinks, allowing less talented kids to play on teams simply because they can afford it.

Old 11-01-17, 06:22 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
It doesn't, BUT if only rich kids have the opportunity to play because the cost is so high, the pool of available players shrinks, allowing less talented kids to play on teams simply because they can afford it.

Agree. Plus suburban kids have more options/activities to occupy their life (not a bad thing) and potentially less desire than the street kid in brazil that has soccer as his only way out. It doesn't mean other kids do not have this but it limits the pool to these kids (most on a college prep track- it is not a coincidence that Summit, StX, StIggy and high performing suburban schools are littered with the top club players. Additionally the pay for system mixes money and politics into the development mix. I know this doesn't happen at the local clubs...but if money comes from parents...parents have/expect/deserve influence and kids/team structure and development is impacted.
Old 11-01-17, 06:58 AM
All Ohio

Another take from US Club Soccer President. Need for better coaches.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/usmn...ld-cup-podcast
Old 11-01-17, 08:05 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
Another take from US Club Soccer President. Need for better coaches.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/usmn...ld-cup-podcast
Kevin Payne is also a big supporter of club fees. Thinks they are important and play a role in the development of soccer in the US.
Old 11-01-17, 08:23 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post
Important today, the NASL lawsuit is in the courtroom.

I'm sure there will be some interesting news about it soon-ish.
The Judge presiding over the case plans on making a decision on the injunction by the end of the week.
Old 11-01-17, 10:41 AM
All Region

New candidate for USSF President emerges, Michael Winograd.

https://www.winogradussf.com/
Old 11-01-17, 01:02 PM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
New candidate for USSF President emerges, Michael Winograd.

https://www.winogradussf.com/
What a horrible website.
Old 11-03-17, 08:47 AM
All Region

Yet another candidate...Carlos Cordeiro. He is the current VP and was elected in 2016.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/11/02...ulati-election

My biggest issue with all this: why haven't there EVER been candidates in since Sunil won in 2006?! I know there's a lot of "question" on the transparency of the election, most specifically about "how to run." It's dumb to think Sunil has been unopposed all this time and now we have 6+ candidates.
Old 11-05-17, 12:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Judge presiding over the case plans on making a decision on the injunction by the end of the week.
Well, the judge ruled against the NASL. The league is probably done.
Old 11-06-17, 12:56 PM
All Region

Kyle Martino, putting his Premier League commentating/analyst role on hiatus, is now a candidate for USSF president.
Old 11-07-17, 08:59 AM
Junior Varsity

3343 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kyle Martino, putting his Premier League commentating/analyst role on hiatus, is now a candidate for USSF president.
Just read a little bit of an article about him and his decision to run......seems like a good candidate.
Old 11-16-17, 10:47 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Christian Pulisic wrote a good piece a few days ago and addressed the topic of the USMNT missing the World Cup. He hinted at changes in that should be made, culture of the sport in the States, etc.

1,834 Days

Pulisic is only 19 but is wise beyond his years. He plays the game beyond his years and articulates his thoughts about the game as would a player with much more experience.

Pulisic prefaces the article with this and is quite humble in recognizing his lack of experience:

"The first thing I want to say here, obviously, is that I’m not an expert. I’m sure there are a lot of people out there who know a lot more about national soccer programs than I do — and I hope those are the people we’ll have in charge of American soccer over the next World Cup cycle. Me, I’m just a 19 year old, in my first full year with the national team. So any insight that I can offer is only based on what I’ve experienced and observed in my career so far."

The article is well worth the short bit of time it takes to read.

The main points that I took from the article:
  1. The problem with American soccer isn't talent. Pulisic acknowledges that there are kids that will probably read the article that are more talented at their age than he was.

2. With above, Pulisic knows that he has natural talent but states that he worked and sacrificed a lot to try to maximize what he was born with. Not everyone has the support system that Pulisic is fortunate enough to have but perhaps the work ethic should improve a bit. If kids only do soccer when at practice, well, we'll never get there.

3. Pulisic acknowledges that he is a product of the US System and expresses his indebtedness to the system but leaves no doubt that we are not playing on a level field with the Europeans. Pulisic is a dual citizen of the US and Croatia and, as such, has a Croatian passport. Because he has that passport, he was allowed to enter the Dortmund Academy at 16. EU players are allowed to move countries once they turn 16. Non-EU players must wait until they turn 18 to do so. Pulisic states that his being able to play in Europe at 16 was biggest game-changer of his career.

note: Pulisic stated that non-EU players must wait until 18 to go to Europe but I don't believe that this is 100% accuate. I believe that is true of players from the States but there are players from other countries that are non-EU, that went to Europe prior to 18. Messi comes to mind. Regardless, this must change for our young players that want to play at the highest levels.

While moving out of the country at such a young age usually isn't the best scenario for everyone, the young players that are playing professionally domestically, could be better utilized in order to develop talent. There are young MLS players that are rostered to teams but don't often see the field.

4. Too often in this country we treat really talented players like "stars" so that they don't need to work for the ball and are the focus of the offense at all times. Pulisic maintains that those players should need to fight tooth and nail for their spot at all times. We are the opposite of Europe in that regard.

5. The game is ingrained in the culture of a lot of countries but not this country. The States is developing a better soccer culture but is not there yet. The MLS is getting better. Pulisic also mentions what is being done in Cincinnati and the rise in interest. Also, Columbus is mentioned along with the emotional movement to keep The Crew there.

Young players need to be a fan of the game and fall in love with it. They should be watching a lot of soccer. We as a country are getting there, but not there yet.

6. Winning is very important to Pulisic. I've always maintained that winning is emphasized too much at the young ages in our country. To put that into context, though, I believe that if winning is the focus while playing bad soccer, it isn't worth it. Emphasizing winning while playing good soccer isn't a bad thing.

Last edited by Rohbino; 11-16-17 at 11:16 AM..
Old 11-16-17, 11:07 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
[*]Winning is very important to Pulisic. I've always maintained that winning is emphasized too much at the young ages in our country. To put that into context, though, I believe that if winning is the focus while playing bad soccer, it isn't worth it. Emphasizing winning while playing good soccer isn't a bad thing. [/LIST]
Rohbino, this is very much on point. In my view, as a former soccer and basketball coach, is that our focus on winning leads to the creation of leagues/associations/tournaments where there are super teams and often very lopsided games. It's true in soccer and true in basketball. And other sports. That does not help athletes develop.
Old 11-16-17, 11:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Rohbino, this is very much on point. In my view, as a former soccer and basketball coach, is that our focus on winning leads to the creation of leagues/associations/tournaments where there are super teams and often very lopsided games. It's true in soccer and true in basketball. And other sports. That does not help athletes develop.
This is the biggest and most significant change I've seen this year after being a part of the DA. Yes the kids and coaches are going out there to win every game they play, but with how the academy as a whole is structured, the ampunt of games they play being significantly less for one, winning games takes a back seat to both individual and team development. How the kids grow within the DA is light years beyond what they get at a standard club, even a top level non-DA club. That's my take on what I've seen over the last 4 months with CUP DA.

Old 11-16-17, 03:01 PM
All Region

Updated list of candidates for USSF president - in no particular order:
  • Sunil Gulati - at least what's expected right now

Links take you to the candidates' platform, if known/exists.
Old 12-05-17, 03:23 PM
All Region

Quote:
Updated list of candidates for USSF president - in no particular order:
  • Sunil Gulati - at least what's expected right now

Links take you to the candidates' platform, if known/exists.
Announcement yesterday, Gulati will NOT seek re-election. To take his place, SUM President Kathy Carter is now running and Sunil backs her. Interesting that Sunil chose not to say anything about Carlos Cordeiro running. Carter is a Sunil person, so no surprise she has his backing. More of the same as Sunil has offered.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: