Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Hockey (College/High School)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-09-17, 10:48 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
2017-18 Great Lakes Hockey League

5th year already for this league. St. Ignatius has dominated first 4 years, having best overall record each year, winning 2.5 state tiles in that stretch.

What do St. Edward and University School have to do to stop this nonsense?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-17, 09:30 AM
Freshman

runner guy is on a distinguished road
I don't know if there's much they can do with St. Ignatius now getting pretty much every kid from the Barons. Having 5 teams gives them an advantage over every other school.
Old 09-14-17, 08:43 PM
All Ohio

clevelandcane
The Cats left the league. That should help the others. I don't like the move but they left.
Old 09-17-17, 09:57 PM
Retired

huh?
Old 09-17-17, 10:05 PM
Retired

Ignatius left the league to travel more out-of-state (and country)?
Old 09-19-17, 07:59 PM
All Ohio

clevelandcane
Sounds like they had some disagreements with the league. I assume over scheduling but who knows. They only play eds once, the Padua tourney, and maybe one other game locally. Sucks for me as a fan in terms of watching. They will play the state tourney.
Old 09-26-17, 01:53 PM
Varsity

Viking/Falcon is on a distinguished road
Gonna be a tough year for Lake Catholic league wise. There are no incoming Freshman on the roster and only a total of 12 skaters and 2 goalies in the entire program. The program has gone down hill since the current coach took over 3 years ago. The 2018-19 season will more than likely be the last for LC hockey. This was a once strong program statewide as recently as 3 years ago.
Old 09-26-17, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcane View Post
Sounds like they had some disagreements with the league. I assume over scheduling but who knows. They only play eds once, the Padua tourney, and maybe one other game locally. Sucks for me as a fan in terms of watching. They will play the state tourney.
Is that something you anticipate they'd consider not doing in the future with this "travel team" approach to the program?
Old 09-27-17, 05:26 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Hockey's a sport where it's difficult to keep the most talented players in a high school program into their upperclassmen years. Developmentally, it's simply makes more sense for these kids to play for Junior teams as the OHSAA's scheduling rules are too restrictive. That said, Gilmour's solution was to create a Prep team that plays a significantly more extensive schedule than their Varsity team. Perhaps Ignatius may consider going that route as well?
Old 09-27-17, 08:54 PM
All Ohio

clevelandcane
There's not enough talent in Cleveland to rival these prep teams or the high level Tier I teams. I want St. Ignatius to field the best team they can and play locally, nothing more.
Old 09-27-17, 08:55 PM
All Ohio

clevelandcane
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Is that something you anticipate they'd consider not doing in the future with this "travel team" approach to the program?

Sorry. No idea. I was simply pointing out games they play in state.
Old 10-12-17, 03:42 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
There will not be a "travel team" as Gilmour has.
Old 11-12-17, 09:08 PM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
How many teams exactly will the Cats field this year and how are they broken down? Seems like a bummer that they are leaving the GLHL and not playing many traditional local games. Is it really just to play better competition in surrounding states / Canada?
Old 11-13-17, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats1886 View Post
How many teams exactly will the Cats field this year and how are they broken down? Seems like a bummer that they are leaving the GLHL and not playing many traditional local games. Is it really just to play better competition in surrounding states / Canada?
As Bennies01 stated, the upper echelon players often matriculate to the Junior teams to face better competition and up their game. I'm not sure if this is still an issue at Ed's, but that was definitely the case when I was there. Many talented underclassmen never made it to their senior years with the team. With Ignatius now seeming like the destination school for top talent in the area, maybe this is a response to entice the guys to stay with the program for all four years.
Old 11-16-17, 10:20 PM
All Ohio

clevelandcane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats1886 View Post
They have a U15 AAA team that plays all year. They have a 16U AAA team that plays just pre. They have the varsity prep (best team) and a varsity blue team that plays in that club team conference.

The Cats are really young this year...

1Fr
7 So
9 Jr
4 SR
Old 11-19-17, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcane View Post
They have a U15 AAA team that plays all year. They have a 16U AAA team that plays just pre. They have the varsity prep (best team) and a varsity blue team that plays in that club team conference.
This sounds very similar to what Gilmour has (or has had in the past).

The Prep team is playing a hybrid schedule that looks like it will allow them to still be eligible for the OHSAA tournament. They play Eds once, they'll be at the Padua tournament, and that's about it for their local/Ohio competition.

What league are the 15U and 16U teams playing in?
Old 11-20-17, 09:09 PM
Retired

Kinda surprised the direction Ignatius hockey has taken here. Not consistent with their other OHSAA sports.
Old 11-26-17, 12:29 PM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
The Cats are 3-2 now with wins over the Pittsburgh Predators AAA, Hoosac School, and Buffalo St. Francis. They also dropped one to the Predators and lost yesterday to Shady Side Academy. Not sure if PA starts earlier, but the Shady Side Academy Prep team (which beat the Cats) have already played a ton of games - http://www.shadysideacademy.org/athl...ics-team-id/61. It looks like their regular Varsity team has only played a few.
Old 12-09-17, 10:10 AM
All American

sehs
Ignatius beat Ed's in a tough 2-0 game at Brooklyn. As usual they are evenly matched but the trend the past 5 years has been that Ignatius pulls out the games.
Old 12-09-17, 10:27 AM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Kinda surprised the direction Ignatius hockey has taken here. Not consistent with their other OHSAA sports.
I agree, I think it is a difficult model to sustain but if there's a school that could do it it would be Ignatius, they have the money. As for St. Ed's, I am happy with how they operate, I would not want to see them go that way. Ohio's top teams offer enough competition. I do worry that they have lost a step compared to the rest of the state, clearly they are still a great program but the lack of a state title in the last 9 years hurts. (I know they've played for 3 but its about winning)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: