Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-26-17, 09:10 AM
All Ohio

CincyIllinifan is on a distinguished road
I would think the Comets will be pretty lean this year - they’ve lost a lot the last couple years. Hopefully, they can just reload.
Old 11-26-17, 10:31 AM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
I'll stick with my prediction from August:

Princeton the top team
East and Mason vie for 2nd and 3rd
Oak Hills, Hamilton and Colerain battle for 4th thru 6th spots
Can't see West, Sycamore, Fairfield, or Middletown above 7th place

I've seen West vs Purcell and Anderson, Oak Hills vs.Withrow and LaSalle, and Mason vs. CJ and Anderson in scrimmages---West is going to play alot of players--press and trap all over the court to force turnovers and get some easy baskets--have no outstanding player to rely on so they will have to scramble to hang in games--played hard.

Oak Hills will play solid MTM defense and shoot 3's offensively--they are a much faster team than last years GMC champs with Diefel and Woycke back--will have to shoot 3's well to have a successful season as they play all 4 GCL South schools in their non-league schedule--looked very good in the LaSalle scrimmage on 11/25.

Mason will feature varsity returnees Knue and Pedelty along with football players Sora, Johnson, and Mizell and many JV's moving up from an 18-2 season. They run the offense smoothly and shoot the ball very well--lack post size, but still should be a top 3 team in the GMC.
Pretty good!
Old 11-26-17, 12:56 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIllinifan View Post
I would think the Comets will be pretty lean this year - they’ve lost a lot the last couple years. Hopefully, they can just reload.
Did the Lands kid that transferred to Moeller play varsity last year at Mason?
Old 11-26-17, 05:43 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Preview

Season preview: Lakota West Firebirds

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...D3wFMpMAwjxUP/
Old 11-26-17, 06:08 PM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Did the Lands kid that transferred to Moeller play varsity last year at Mason?
Sadly he was a Frosh on the Varsity with an injured back all year--got healthier by the end of the regular season, and then played 5 minutes vs. St. X in a 10 point opening tourney win and then 3 minutes vs. East in a 18 point win, but then had a foot problem crop up and was done playing in the next 2 tourney games.

Really surprised he transferred knowing that 8 minutes of play would cost him 11 games--parents know best I guess!!

Last edited by CometCountry; 11-26-17 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 01:31 PM
All American

Preview

Season preview: Middletown Middies

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...etwFtnptS4S1M/
Old 11-28-17, 02:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Sadly he was a Frosh on the Varsity with an injured back all year--got healthier by the end of the regular season, and then played 5 minutes vs. St. X in a 10 point opening tourney win and then 3 minutes vs. East in a 18 point win, but then had a foot problem crop up and was done playing in the next 2 tourney games.

Really surprised he transferred knowing that 8 minutes of play would cost him 11 games--parents know best I guess!!
One thing I have learned over the years that everyone has their reasons and we can't always assume agendas. One kid who got blasted for transferring mid high school career a few years back had an absolutely legit reason for switching schools (note I didn't say switching teams) but people assumed it was a pushy sports parent. Sadly often parents do play school msuical chairs with their kids for sports reasons but it is not always the case So it isworth holding out judgement as we don't always know what is happening within a family.
Old 11-28-17, 03:37 PM
All American

Quote:
One thing I have learned over the years that everyone has their reasons and we can't always assume agendas. One kid who got blasted for transferring mid high school career a few years back had an absolutely legit reason for switching schools (note I didn't say switching teams) but people assumed it was a pushy sports parent. Sadly often parents do play school msuical chairs with their kids for sports reasons but it is not always the case So it isworth holding out judgement as we don't always know what is happening within a family.
Agreed--the Comets have definitely moved on with the boys who are there for the 17-18 season--and ironically the transfer student was seen at every home football game of the Comets, so he must still like his old classmates at Mason. Obviously being a starter from the get-go this season at Mason did not mean as much as switching schools and sitting out the initial 11 games--life goes on
Old 11-29-17, 10:56 AM
All American

Cincy Enquirer GMC Preview:

Greater Miami Conference

Oak Hills and Mason have been constants in recent years in the GMC, but the league always features games that could go anyway on a given night. Last year's champion Oak Hills lost two GMC first-team players (Ryan Batte and Luke Rudy) and second-teamer Cam Naber to graduation, leaving Nick Deifel (second team) as top returner. Forward Deifel is a four-year varsity player for a team that lost just four games under GMC Coach of the Year Mike Price. Three-year varsity guard Jacob Woycke will also play key minutes along with juniors Deandre Hayes, Jacob Berkemeier and Zach Moeller.

Mason and Greg Richards were right behind the Highlanders in the league at 14-2 and lost just three (to Oak Hills, Princeton, and Moeller). The Comets were a 2017 district champion. Unfortunately, Tanner Knue is the lone returning starter. The guard averaged nine points per game, slightly above what reserve sixth man Noah Pedelty contributed. Juniors Landon Long, Matt Minick and Ethan Howard plus sophomore Jack Cooper should be factors.

"Ultimately for us, it still comes down to playing Mason basketball," Richards said. "We need to make other teams work really hard to score."

Lakota East shared a GMC title with Mason three years ago and was 16-8 last season. Head coach Clinton Adkins brings back four starters to a league where depth is important. Jarrett Cox, Jackson See, Jalen Peck and Kyrell Metts return with Cox leading the Thunderhawks and GMC in scoring last year at 18.2 per game. Bash Wieland (over from Lakota West) and Alex Mangold are also expected to have an impact.

"We're a much more versatile and deep team than we were last year," Adkins said.

The most spoken about player in the GMC is Princeton's Darius Bazley. The 6-foot-9 forward recently signed to play at Syracuse and was invited to a USA Basketball Junior National Team training camp this fall. He is the No. 9 player of the 2018 class, according to ESPN.com. After sitting out the first half of last season due to his transfer from Finneytown, Bazley led the GMC in rebounds (10 per game), assists (3.5) and blocks (3) while averaging 11.1 points against defenses designed to stop him specifically. Dominic Pierce and Darweshi Hunter are also returning Viking starters, with Hunter finishing second in the league in scoring last season (17.3) for coach Steven Wright. The Vikings will be featured on ESPNU Jan. 19 against New Albany (Indiana).

Hamilton, Fairfield, Sycamore, Lakota West, Middletown and Colerain all will try to rebound from sub-.500 records in one of the toughest conferences around. Andrew Ovington takes over the Sycamore Aviators who return starters Christian Kelly and Tate Goodyear (Yale football signee). Myron Williams, Luke Huffer and Ben Yuskewich will also help try to break the Aves' skid of four straight losing seasons. Middletown has Jawunn Bailey back as a starter.
Old 11-29-17, 11:56 AM
Junior Varsity

bcounty1954 is on a distinguished road
People seem to never mention Hamilton’s returning players didn’t they have the top two sophomores in scoring last year? Who both had big games? Princeton obviously will be the favorite with east falling rt behind them but besides that the gmc should be wide open. Sounds like quite a few teams have young players so we shall see who comes to play!
Old 11-29-17, 12:14 PM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
bcounty...HHS and Van Winkle.
He came into the GMC at Lakota West after leaving Ross. A West district Youth coach said he played a really great zone defense at Ross. Never really saw that at West. He did inherit some very talented players and it seemed to me he let them do whatever they wanted with some success. He goes to Hamilton, again inherits some really good players. Same let them go and results as West, nothing special. I go to a number of GMC and GCL games. If you go see Elder, LaSalle, Moeller, Mason, Oak Hills, and East they have a style of play and certain areas they always do well. My question to you is what does Hamilton do well under VW? I've never witnessed anything consistent under him with his teams. I am very curious if any Hamilton fans can answer that.
Old 11-29-17, 12:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcounty1954 View Post
People seem to never mention Hamilton’s returning players didn’t they have the top two sophomores in scoring last year? Who both had big games? Princeton obviously will be the favorite with east falling rt behind them but besides that the gmc should be wide open. Sounds like quite a few teams have young players so we shall see who comes to play!
BC--I think most of the folks on Yappi have been acknowledging that Hamilton is a top 5 team in the GMC this year after finishing 5th in both 2016 and 2015. The last top 5 finish for the Big Blue before the previous two years was 2006-07 when Hamilton was the GMC champ with a 12-2 record--that is a very long dry spell. Hamilton's record with the current 10 teams in the GMC since 2007-08 is 43-103 which is 9th best, only ahead of Colerain during that stretch. For Hamilton to get additional recognition they have to put a winning GMC record on the board as they were 8-8 last year and 7-9 the year before that. Certainly a marked improvement over the 2007-2015 years. I believe Hamilton and Oak Hills will be pesky for the top 3 this year and can knock off Princeton, East and Mason on any given night.
Old 11-29-17, 01:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
He came into the GMC at Lakota West after leaving Ross. A West district Youth coach said he played a really great zone defense at Ross. Never really saw that at West. He did inherit some very talented players and it seemed to me he let them do whatever they wanted with some success. He goes to Hamilton, again inherits some really good players. Same let them go and results as West, nothing special. I go to a number of GMC and GCL games. If you go see Elder, LaSalle, Moeller, Mason, Oak Hills, and East they have a style of play and certain areas they always do well. My question to you is what does Hamilton do well under VW? I've never witnessed anything consistent under him with his teams. I am very curious if any Hamilton fans can answer that.
Well this will be another big test for him then! Because it appears he has some talent again.
Old 11-29-17, 01:07 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
BC--I think most of the folks on Yappi have been acknowledging that Hamilton is a top 5 team in the GMC this year after finishing 5th in both 2016 and 2015. The last top 5 finish for the Big Blue before the previous two years was 2006-07 when Hamilton was the GMC champ with a 12-2 record--that is a very long dry spell. Hamilton's record with the current 10 teams in the GMC since 2007-08 is 43-103 which is 9th best, only ahead of Colerain during that stretch. For Hamilton to get additional recognition they have to put a winning GMC record on the board as they were 8-8 last year and 7-9 the year before that. Certainly a marked improvement over the 2007-2015 years. I believe Hamilton and Oak Hills will be pesky for the top 3 this year and can knock off Princeton, East and Mason on any given night.
Agreed it will be a toss up some nights with a lot of young players expected to put up numbers
Old 11-29-17, 03:42 PM
All American

Preview

Season preview: Fairfield Indians

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...usIemWsO4MgkK/
Old 11-29-17, 05:34 PM
All American

Preview

Season preview: Hamilton Big Blue

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...siTtdoB9NguUI/
Old 11-30-17, 08:22 AM
All Region

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Off topic but

Did I just see the Mason girls varsity basketball team beat Colerain girls varsity basketball team 70-3. WTH is going on
Old 11-30-17, 10:11 AM
All American

Opening Weekend--make selections for discussion purposes--if someone wants to keep track of selectors records great--if not we'll do it for fun and discussion:

Friday, December 1st, 2017

Kings at Middletown 7:30 PM
Milford at Sycamore 7:30 PM
Lakota West at Turpin 7:30 PM
Fairfield at Elder 7:30 PM
Colerain at Mount Healthy 7:30 PM
Xenia at Princeton 9:00 PM Ohio Valley Hoops Classic

Saturday, December 02, 2017

Springboro at Mason 6:00 PM Ohio Valley Hoops Classic
Western Hills at Oak Hills 7:30 PM
Northwest at Hamilton 7:30 PM
Old 11-30-17, 01:42 PM
All Region

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Friday, December 1st, 2017

Kings at Middletown 7:30 PM
Milford at Sycamore 7:30 PM
Lakota West at Turpin 7:30 PM
Fairfield at Elder 7:30 PM
Colerain at Mount Healthy 7:30 PM
Xenia at Princeton 9:00 PM Ohio Valley Hoops Classic

Saturday, December 02, 2017

Springboro at Mason 6:00 PM Ohio Valley Hoops Classic
Western Hills at Oak Hills 7:30 PM
Northwest at Hamilton 7:30 PM
Old 11-30-17, 02:00 PM
Junior Varsity

jeddimaster is on a distinguished road
Kings
Milford
Lakota West
Elder
Mt Healthy
Princeton

Mason
Oak Hills
Hamilton
Old 11-30-17, 02:17 PM
All American

Friday 12/1

Middletown-- close at home as both teams have many new varsity players--Middies return 5.8 ppg and Kings 2.9
Sycamore-- at home as they have more returning experience
West --one of 7 wins last year was over Turpin
Elder--better team is the Panthers especially at the bball PIT
Mt. H--toss up, but go with the Owls at home--Cards may be missing some football guys
Princeton--Xenia has one very good player, but go with Vikes on neutral court

12/2

Mason over Boro on neutral court as Knue and Pedelty start strong
Oak Hills at home over guard oriented/pressing Mustangs
Hamilton at home over graduation depleted Knights

Last edited by CometCountry; 11-30-17 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 09:24 PM
U. S. American

MasonComet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
Off topic but

Did I just see the Mason girls varsity basketball team beat Colerain girls varsity basketball team 70-3. WTH is going on
Interesting. I decided to look up the box score - Colerain turned it over 39 times and only attempted 13 shots. Mason scored 31 points in the first quarter:

http://gmcsports.com/bkGameStats.aspx?gameid=283537
Old 11-30-17, 11:06 PM
All American

Colerains girls squad has only won 2 conference games in 3 years- it's so tough playing these types of games.
Old 12-01-17, 12:06 AM
All American

MiddieMagic12 is on a distinguished road
One week from tomorrow!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcI1jyAhI83/
Old 12-02-17, 02:18 AM
All American

Middletown-Kings

Balanced Middletown holds off Knights in season opener

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...Zki2OV0usjGEI/
Old 12-02-17, 04:04 AM
All American

Preview

Season preview: Lakota East Thunderhawks

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...AXDAt0MdV4MVL/
Old 12-02-17, 10:42 AM
Moderated User

BigBlue1982 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
As a long time ago graduate from Hamilton and witnessed many glory years of Hamilton basketball VW isn't the answer. I think everyone in the city knows the glory days have pasted but VW needs to go. The word around town is the coaching staff is arrogant and have been given everything they want from district. Tons of rumors about running kids from other sports out of the program because they play multiple sports and VW only wants basketball only kids. The schedule has been softened to help with wins VW still didn't win last year. I think this is his last season at Hamilton unless he wins a GMC title. West/Ross can have him back if they want him.
Old 12-02-17, 11:11 AM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Colerains girls squad has only won 2 conference games in 3 years- it's so tough playing these types of games.
If you look at the roster vs. the boxscore there were 4 players who don't appear and comparing to last years roster those were their were the top 4 players in minutes and points. Don't know if they quit, were suspended, or the roster is just wrong.

What is even sadder is that 4 years ago the girls team was consistently in the top of the GMC and making sweet 16 appearances. If Kelsey Mitchell didn't go to Princeton they would have had a few GMC titles during that time. Don't know if the Coach leaving for Mcauley was the cause or if he just saw the talent drop-off coming.
Old 12-02-17, 02:19 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Colerain undefeated and first in the GMC!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-17, 02:23 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
Balanced Middletown holds off Knights in season opener

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...Zki2OV0usjGEI/
I liked what I saw from Middletown last night. The number one thing for me is they looked like a team for the first time in a few years. It will interesting to see how they handle the length of the GMC, as they only have two big guys, but two big guys that are solid players though. The rest of the team is a bunch of really fast and athletic guards. No reason for them to be at the bottom of the GMC this year from what I saw. They are at worst a middle of the pack team.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk