Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 11-25-17, 02:47 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 68,268
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Iím sure ted appreciates your deference to him.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #212  
Old 12-04-17, 01:24 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,676
14Red is on a distinguished road
A couple of rants from this weekend's NFL games...

Josh Gordon - The Browns welcomed back the oft troubled receiver over the weekend. My question is this, is there anything a player can do to get banned from the NFL?? The league simply allows these guys to come back when someone deems them "clean". Gordon admitted recently in a magazine article to trafficking in drugs and doing all sorts of things that would land him in jail. Does anyone really think he's going to change?

Rob Gronkowski - Did anyone see the cheap shot Gronk put on a "defenseless" DB who had just picked off a Brady pass and was lying on the ground, out of bounds. He literally put his 270 pounds and jumped on the guy without notice. The NFL really needs to give the officials the authority to throw players out of games more. Gronk is a meathead. What if a Bills defender blasted Gronk blindsidedly?? It would be all that would be on ESPN today. But because it's Gronk and the Pats, nothing other than a 15 yard penalty??

-Considering the Seahawks kept the Eagles offense down last night, maybe Richard Sherman isn't as important as he tells us he is?
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 12-05-17, 03:32 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,676
14Red is on a distinguished road
I have to say I'm very disappointed in the Steelers/ Bengals game last night. Not because of the outcome or anything like that. The NFL has tried to get ahold of the needless violence and cheap shots, but I think the league is taking steps backwards after last night's game.

Why is it not allowed for officials to eject players? This happens routinely in baseball and basketball. Someone gets out of hand, they get ejected. Kevin Durrant, LeBron James were ejected from separate games the last few weeks. When you allow players to behave a certain way, and the only penalty is 15 yards, you get what you deserve. Sadly, after the first few personal fouls and cheap shots. There was one egregious penalty on George Iloka on Antonio Brown's last TD catch. Clearly a target, helmet to helmet shot right in front of the world. The penalty...15 yards...that's it. So the Steelers get to kick from midfield instead of the 35. Is this really a deterrent? The NFL wonders why ratings are going down, they wonder why people don't want to have their kids play football.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 12-05-17, 03:50 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,110
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
A couple of rants from this weekend's NFL games...

Josh Gordon - The Browns welcomed back the oft troubled receiver over the weekend. My question is this, is there anything a player can do to get banned from the NFL?? The league simply allows these guys to come back when someone deems them "clean". Gordon admitted recently in a magazine article to trafficking in drugs and doing all sorts of things that would land him in jail. Does anyone really think he's going to change?

Rob Gronkowski - Did anyone see the cheap shot Gronk put on a "defenseless" DB who had just picked off a Brady pass and was lying on the ground, out of bounds. He literally put his 270 pounds and jumped on the guy without notice. The NFL really needs to give the officials the authority to throw players out of games more. Gronk is a meathead. What if a Bills defender blasted Gronk blindsidedly?? It would be all that would be on ESPN today. But because it's Gronk and the Pats, nothing other than a 15 yard penalty??

-Considering the Seahawks kept the Eagles offense down last night, maybe Richard Sherman isn't as important as he tells us he is?
He has been out like 3 years. Former addicts and drug users, sellers if no longer partaking have the right to work for whomever is willing to give them a chance and it happens ever day.

I have no problem woth the him coming back. He will be closely monitored and tested. Pops hot.....suspend him. He will only go to jail if he gets arrssted. Do all those people who pop hot at work or potential employers get thrown in jail?
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 12-10-17, 09:15 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,544
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Michael Bennett is a POS and a liar.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 12-10-17, 09:22 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 6,210
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Michael Bennett is a POS and a liar.
Seahawks' nominee for Walter Payton Award goes after knees of the Jags' Center in Victory Formation. Classy. Zero chance ESPN talks about it.
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 12-10-17, 09:26 PM
sodbuster sodbuster is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-10-09
Posts: 526
sodbuster is on a distinguished road
The 1 hawk player tried to get into the stands and get to a fan who was taunting him. Bring back the XFL.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 12-10-17, 09:33 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 6,210
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster View Post
The 1 hawk player tried to get into the stands and get to a fan who was taunting him. Bring back the XFL.
The Jags fans would've deserved a beating. Classless idiots.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 12-10-17, 10:22 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 3,269
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Looks like Wentz tore his ACL.

Pretty amazing how every top QB suffers a major injury except Brady. Must be something to his magic pajamas.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 12-10-17, 10:26 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 3,269
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster View Post
The 1 hawk player tried to get into the stands and get to a fan who was taunting him. Bring back the XFL.
They did more than taunt him, they appeared to throw something at him. That's grounds for an as* kicking in my book.

There are few things more annoying than watching some idiot with a dad bod act tough with a 250+ lb professional athlete because they know they can't do anything.
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 12-10-17, 10:32 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,294
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Looks like Wentz tore his ACL.

Pretty amazing how every top QB suffers a major injury except Brady. Must be something to his magic pajamas.
Brady had his ACL injury in '08
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 12-10-17, 10:41 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 3,269
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
I'm aware. I was talking about this season and it was mostly a joke about his snake oil book.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 12-11-17, 01:46 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 17,070
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Looks like Wentz tore his ACL.

Pretty amazing how every top QB suffers a major injury except Brady. Must be something to his magic pajamas.
It's all about the water bro
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 12-11-17, 10:18 AM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 6,210
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
They did more than taunt him, they appeared to throw something at him. That's grounds for an as* kicking in my book.

There are few things more annoying than watching some idiot with a dad bod act tough with a 250+ lb professional athlete because they know they can't do anything.
Yeah, those guys are cowards. The Security Guard should've turned his back for a second to let Jefferson get in a few punches.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-seahawks/amp/
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 12-11-17, 01:06 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 3,269
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Agreed. Jermaine O'Neal KO'ing those two fat idiots who rushed him during the Malice at the Palace is one of my all-time favorite sports moments
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 12-11-17, 03:04 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,676
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
The Jags fans would've deserved a beating. Classless idiots.
Fans should never, ever throw things at players, home or opposing teams, or coaches. Any fan that does should be prosecuted, and if they have season tix, they should be stripped of them.

However, the Seahawks are to blame here as well. In the "victory" formation, their players were intentionally going low and trying to hurt the Jags players. And guess who was involved, Michael Bennett, our police brutality, social injustice person from earlier in the season. When you have so called "leaders" on your defense like Richard Sherman and Michael Bennett, this is what you get. No one calls these guys out when they spot off. This is a thug move and Bennett should be suspended for a few games. The NFLPA and the owners, along with Roger Goddell need to sit down during the off season and get some of these issues ironed out. The main one is players need to understand where their paychecks are coming from and that they don't have free rein to just blow off about anything and everything. They are more than welcome to go play in Canada or the arena league.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 12-11-17, 03:25 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 13,094
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Fans should never, ever throw things at players, home or opposing teams, or coaches. Any fan that does should be prosecuted, and if they have season tix, they should be stripped of them.

However, the Seahawks are to blame here as well. In the "victory" formation, their players were intentionally going low and trying to hurt the Jags players. And guess who was involved, Michael Bennett, our police brutality, social injustice person from earlier in the season. When you have so called "leaders" on your defense like Richard Sherman and Michael Bennett, this is what you get. No one calls these guys out when they spot off. This is a thug move and Bennett should be suspended for a few games. The NFLPA and the owners, along with Roger Goddell need to sit down during the off season and get some of these issues ironed out. The main one is players need to understand where their paychecks are coming from and that they don't have free rein to just blow off about anything and everything. They are more than welcome to go play in Canada or the arena league.
Another classic take by Red. We all get that you want these athletes to be robots and have zero opinions outside of their sport, but you couldn't be any more wrong. Bennett's move was dirty, he'll likely be fined and he looks like an idiot after his teammates blasted the NFL for player safety and having Thursday Night games. But what has Sherman done other than question Goodell? Sherman is loud and he has dreds so people think he's another "thug" but he's actually a very smart individual. He's very calculated in what he says at the podium and in most cases, he's 100% right.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 12-11-17, 04:45 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 6,210
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Fans should never, ever throw things at players, home or opposing teams, or coaches. Any fan that does should be prosecuted, and if they have season tix, they should be stripped of them.

However, the Seahawks are to blame here as well. In the "victory" formation, their players were intentionally going low and trying to hurt the Jags players. And guess who was involved, Michael Bennett, our police brutality, social injustice person from earlier in the season. When you have so called "leaders" on your defense like Richard Sherman and Michael Bennett, this is what you get. No one calls these guys out when they spot off. This is a thug move and Bennett should be suspended for a few games. The NFLPA and the owners, along with Roger Goddell need to sit down during the off season and get some of these issues ironed out. The main one is players need to understand where their paychecks are coming from and that they don't have free rein to just blow off about anything and everything. They are more than welcome to go play in Canada or the arena league.
That's a false equivalency. First, the player who had stuff thrown at him wasn't involved in the play, and two, there's zero justification for fans to EVER throw stuff at players. Bennet should get raked over the coals by the media, he won't, but the fans are still cowardly azzholes. It was funny seeing those jerkoffs puff their chest out the more security had Jeferson restrained. They're sackless losers.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 12-11-17, 04:58 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 6,210
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Another classic take by Red. We all get that you want these athletes to be robots and have zero opinions outside of their sport, but you couldn't be any more wrong. Bennett's move was dirty, he'll likely be fined and he looks like an idiot after his teammates blasted the NFL for player safety and having Thursday Night games. But what has Sherman done other than question Goodell? Sherman is loud and he has dreds so people think he's another "thug" but he's actually a very smart individual. He's very calculated in what he says at the podium and in most cases, he's 100% right.
Other hot takes from Red over the years:

The Axis will win WW2

The US will never put a man on the moon

Buy Enron, its stock will keep going up

Cell Phones are too small to ever become popular
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 12-14-17, 07:38 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,658
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
From 1977-

Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 12-14-17, 09:04 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 2,959
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
OJ made over twice as much as the highest paid qb.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 12-15-17, 01:02 PM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 11,960
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
MLS is the up-and-comer now. It may be nipping at the NFL's heels in a couple decades: no commercials in-game, 2 hours guaranteed, and a game with few stoppages in play.
they were saying that a couple decades ago. America is never going to be a soccer country. if /when the NFL falls off the void will be filled by one of the other traditional sports, or maybe an up and coming sport like lacrosse.

the US mens team crapping the bed and missing the World Cup certainly doesn't help.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 12-15-17, 01:06 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,294
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Yes, people said it in the past when the NASL came about, but the powers-that-be went about almost everything the wrong way. Past mistakes were not repeated with MLS and US Soccer. TV has allowed top level European soccer to gain especially.

The game is growing as a spectator sport. People who keep making your argument are completely ignoring the reality of where soccer is our sporting landscape today.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 12-15-17, 01:56 PM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 11,960
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Vikings took control of the NFC North with the win on TG vs Detroit. Was at the game, and every time I'm in US Bank Stadium in Minny, Ford Field in Detroit or Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy, I feel bad for the poor folks in Cleveland. They deserve a first-class facility like those venues. Especially for putting up with the terrible on-field product.

As for the Vikings, they have to keep winning, because even though they hold wins over the Saints and Rams, the friggin Eagles can't seem to lose. I want that NFC championship game in Minny.
do you also feel bad for folks in GB, Pittsburgh, NE, Buffalo, Chicago, Denver...

Last edited by y2h; 12-15-17 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 12-15-17, 02:34 PM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 11,960
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Yes, people said it in the past when the NASL came about, but the powers-that-be went about almost everything the wrong way. Past mistakes were not repeated with MLS and US Soccer. TV has allowed top level European soccer to gain especially.

The game is growing as a spectator sport. People who keep making your argument are completely ignoring the reality of where soccer is our sporting landscape today.


European soccer? how does that grow a fan base in the US. most people have no hope of ever attending a game there and there is no emotional connection as comes with rooting for the home team. then add in the promotion/relegation factor which is completely foreign to American sports fans.

its already been a point of discussion how much money stands to be lost on WC advertising with the absence of the US. clearly the name on the jersey still outweighs the sport itself. to be fair you said a couple decades not the next 4 years but i just don't see the needle moving much more than it has the last couple decades.

i have no problem with soccer. i hope the Crew stay in Columbus as its nice to have a "hometown" team to follow. im intrigued every 4 years by WC competition, even that which doesn't involve the US. other than that its pretty much an afterthought. i couldnt care less about Man U vs Liverpool.

i believe there is a place for soccer in the American sports landscape but i just dont see it eclipsing the big 4, let alone football, anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 12-15-17, 02:41 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,110
thavoice is on a distinguished road
I see many people who say that they are fans of European soccer and when people trash mls and American soccer they bring up that ya should watch European soccer because it's Better and then you will be a fan of the sport.

Well....I believe if you are a fan of the sport then it should not really matter the level. You love football.....you love football at all levels. Same woth baseball. I can enjoy attending a hs football or baseball game because I love the sport........
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 12-15-17, 03:36 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,676
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Another classic take by Red. We all get that you want these athletes to be robots and have zero opinions outside of their sport, but you couldn't be any more wrong. Bennett's move was dirty, he'll likely be fined and he looks like an idiot after his teammates blasted the NFL for player safety and having Thursday Night games. But what has Sherman done other than question Goodell? Sherman is loud and he has dreds so people think he's another "thug" but he's actually a very smart individual. He's very calculated in what he says at the podium and in most cases, he's 100% right.
Right about what? I don't want robots. I want players who play with some class, not angry all the time. These guys, for the most part, went to college on full ride scholarships, they've hardly had any real "tough" times. Yet they act like the world owes them something? They're flippin football players. I don't care what Richard Sherman thinks about social issues. He got famous because he can cover receivers better than most.

Sherman and Bennett want to help...go to these rough parts of the inner city, talk to these kids and tell them to stop shooting and robbing each other. Go ride in police cars for a week and tell us how great of a job they have dealing with scum and addicts. Tell parents to know where their kids are. Tell Dads to be involved in their lives, marry the mother of their kids and live under one roof. We make all this stuff out to be complex, it's not. It's very simple. You put a Mom and a Dad in a house together, take an interest in education and you'll produce productive kids, plain and simple.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 12-15-17, 03:43 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 3,269
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
they've hardly had any real "tough" times.
I'd say that's likely untrue for many NFL players. Unless you don't consider trials during your youth to be legitimate "tough" times.

Quote:
I don't care what Richard Sherman thinks about social issues.
You give your opinion on social issues all the time to people you don't know. What makes you more qualified than Sherman to do so?

Quote:
Sherman and Bennett want to help...go to these rough parts of the inner city
I'm pretty sure both are active in the community. I would certainly wager they donate a far higher sum of money and time to charitable causes than you.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 12-15-17, 03:56 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,898
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Right about what? I don't want robots. I want players who play with some class, not angry all the time.

Sherman and Bennett want to help...go to these rough parts of the inner city, talk to these kids and tell them to stop shooting and robbing each other. Go ride in police cars for a week and tell us how great of a job they have dealing with scum and addicts. Tell parents to know where their kids are. Tell Dads to be involved in their lives, marry the mother of their kids and live under one roof. We make all this stuff out to be complex, it's not. It's very simple. You put a Mom and a Dad in a house together, take an interest in education and you'll produce productive kids, plain and simple.
You want guys who play the violent game of football to play with class, not play angry? In the violent sport of football?

Most players do all these things already.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 12-15-17, 04:04 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 2,959
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
do you also feel bad for folks in GB, Pittsburgh, NE, Buffalo, Chicago, Denver...
My neighbor growing up was from Buffalo so for his sake I feel bad for Buffalo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any News on a New Head Football Coach at Mount Gilead???? IUDOGS Football 11 07-15-17 01:07 PM
Any NEWS on getting a new Head Football Coach at St Paris Graham Local??? IUDOGS Football 7 05-26-17 11:17 AM
Any News on a New Head Football Coach at Springfield Northwestern???? IUDOGS Football 4 05-23-17 12:39 PM
Any NEWS on getting a new Head Football Coach to replaces coach Mike Vicars at Swanto IUDOGS Football 2 05-19-17 08:54 AM
NFL draft and Track athletes runohio Football 30 05-06-17 07:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz