Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-24-17, 04:41 PM
All Region

teach1coach2 is on a distinguished road
Updates on Akron St. V St. M at Tri-Valley (Thurs.)

I will try to post scores when teams score (or by quarter if low score).
Old 08-24-17, 05:18 PM
All Region

Listen to STVM and TV at 7:00 pm tonight at https://www.whiznews.com/sports/local/

Click on the Listen to Z92 Live icon in the top right corner.
Old 08-24-17, 09:07 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Glad to see the Irish get off to a winning start. TV is a very good team and the Irish D did a great job against them. Once the O got rid of a few jitters, they played solid ball. The penalties could become an issue, but it was the 1st game, so those will hopefully lessen. All in all, great job guys ! Go Irish !!!
Old 08-24-17, 09:28 PM
All Region

Congrats Irish.

TV gave it all they had. Just not quite strong enough up front, but played hard. TV will likely go 9-1. I'm guessing 7 running clocks. Sheridan and Zanesville should make it a game. 9-1 will get them in the playoffs in D3 R11.
(Last year 9-1 left TV out in D2, but they lost in league to a team with a ton of harbin points [Sheridan]. TV has never gone undefeated in league and not made playoffs. 8 league games.)

Good luck to St. V. You rose to the occasion and got the job done. QB is very accurate. RB ran very hard. Both soph's. WOW. Some big expectations coming the next few years I would guess. (Not that there aren't yearly at St. V).

Don't think either team had a turnover. TV did miss about a 38 yd FG. Had distance but went right. Bothered by how fast Irish rush was coming.

Well played game for week 1.

Last edited by teach1coach2; 08-24-17 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 11:20 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1coach2 View Post
Sorry I did not see it earlier.

I would eat in Coshocton at the Warehouse Restaurant.

Not sure about weather.
No problem. We stopped at the McDonald's at Rt 60 and Main.

TV had a large enthusiastic crowd. Will that continue through the season?
A good number of folks made the trip from Akron. It looked like the visitors stands were full.

Good win for the Irish for a young team on the road in the first game of the season. I heard tonight the last scrimmage vs Midview was cancelled due to weather so the team didn't have that final scrimmage experience.

I'm hoping the SVSM coach didn't want to show too much going into the Walsh game next week. Running up the middle on first down every time gets predictable. TV stopped it every time for short, if any, gain. Terrence Keyes had a nice game as did Luke Lindsey. Big catches by Olson and Walter also.

TV was very successful running the Quarterback draw. Their QB is quick! Good luck to the Scotties the rest of the way.
Old 08-24-17, 11:23 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Hope TV has a good season and makes the playoffs. Very impressive the program they have down there. When they came to Boardman 2 years ago they really showed a lot of people what they're about. I remember being anxious that whole week but it seemed most of the town was thinking about Perry that week..

Anyways, is Newsom the QB? I only ask because speaking of him being quick, he had a quite impressive 80 yard touchdown run while losing a shoe in our playoff game...And apparently he was injured to boot..
Old 08-24-17, 11:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
Glad to see the Irish get off to a winning start. TV is a very good team and the Irish D did a great job against them. Once the O got rid of a few jitters, they played solid ball. The penalties could become an issue, but it was the 1st game, so those will hopefully lessen. All in all, great job guys ! Go Irish !!!
I agree, the penalties were costly. I'll be curious to see the pass interference call on tape. I didn't see it b/c I followed the ball down field. However the folks near me thought the call was suspect.
Old 08-24-17, 11:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Hope TV has a good season and makes the playoffs. Very impressive the program they have down there. When they came to Boardman 2 years ago they really showed a lot of people what they're about. I remember being anxious that whole week but it seemed most of the town was thinking about Perry that week..

Anyways, is Newsom the QB? I only ask because speaking of him being quick, he had a quite impressive 80 yard touchdown run while losing a shoe in our playoff game...And apparently he was injured to boot..
Newsome sounds like the name I heard but teach1coach2 will need to confirm.
Old 08-25-17, 12:01 AM
All World

Surprisingly the Akron paper has a recap of the game.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/hi...-season-opener
Old 08-25-17, 06:09 AM
All District

Irish Football is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
No problem. We stopped at the McDonald's at Rt 60 and Main.

TV had a large enthusiastic crowd. Will that continue through the season?
A good number of folks made the trip from Akron. It looked like the visitors stands were full.

Good win for the Irish for a young team on the road in the first game of the season. I heard tonight the last scrimmage vs Midview was cancelled due to weather so the team didn't have that final scrimmage experience.

I'm hoping the SVSM coach didn't want to show too much going into the Walsh game next week. Running up the middle on first down every time gets predictable. TV stopped it every time for short, if any, gain. Terrence Keyes had a nice game as did Luke Lindsey. Big catches by Olson and Walter also.

TV was very successful running the Quarterback draw. Their QB is quick! Good luck to the Scotties the rest of the way.
The play calling was a little predictable and kept the game closer than it should of been. We aren't going to get away with that against the better bigger teams on the schedule. If the line continues to play like they did last night with Lindsay and Keyes abilities it could be a good year.
Old 08-25-17, 06:16 AM
All District

[QUOTE=teach1coach2;6815067]TV gave it all they had. Just not quite strong enough up front, but played hard. TV will likely go 9-1. I'm guessing 7 running clocks. Sheridan and Zanesville should make it a game. 9-1 will get them in the playoffs in D3 R11.
(Last year 9-1 left TV out in D2, but they lost in league to a team with a ton of harbin points [Sheridan]. TV has never gone undefeated in league and not made playoffs. 8 league games.)

Good luck to St. V. You rose to the occasion and got the job done. QB is very accurate. RB ran very hard. Both soph's. WOW. Some big expectations coming the next few years I would guess. (Not that there aren't yearly at St. V).

Don't think either team had a turnover. TV did miss about a 38 yd FG. Had distance but went right. Bothered by how fast Irish rush was coming.

Well played game for week 1.

I also thought it was a well played game aside from the penalties on StV. Last night was the best our line has looked this year. In the scrimmages they struggled pass blocking but did an adequate job tonight. The QB and RB are young and are going to be special players for the Irish.

Great stadium and atmosphere last night. Tri Valley has a very good team and should win a lot of games this year.
Old 08-25-17, 06:18 AM
All District

Quote:
Newsome sounds like the name I heard but teach1coach2 will need to confirm.
Newsome was the QB. Very quick and ran the ball well.
Old 08-25-17, 08:17 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Sounds like it was a tight game until SVSM scored late. Certainly not the easy one for the Irish that some anticipated.
Old 08-25-17, 09:37 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Sounds like it was a tight game until SVSM scored late. Certainly not the easy one for the Irish that some anticipated.
Whoever was thinking a game against a talented, experienced team like Tri-Valley was going to be easy must be sipping some potcheen in the parking lot! I don't think the Irish could have asked for a better start to the season. A solid win against a very good team on the road. A clean game, by both teams; which you don't often see in Week One. Some good line play from the Irish on both the offense and defense; both with room to improve. All in all, a very solid performance that they can build on moving forward.
Old 08-25-17, 11:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Actually that wasn't the scenario at all. Tri-Valley missed a FG and SVSM scored a second qtr TD for the first half scoring. The Irish took the second half KO down the field for their second score. It was a nice, time consuming drive leavng 3+ minutes in the quarter. The Scotties scored their first TD before the end of the quarter using an effective QB draw and aided by more than 30 yds in Irish penalties. (PI from the point of the the foul and roughing the passer.) SVSM scored their third TD with about 5 minutes left in the fourth. Score: SVSM 21 Tri-Valley 7. T-V scored with 45 sec left on the clock.

I don't think SVSM fans ever thought it would be easy, just others giving their opinions. With a young team, the Irish posters seemed realistic in their expectations.
Old 08-25-17, 11:40 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Football View Post
The play calling was a little predictable and kept the game closer than it should of been. We aren't going to get away with that against the better bigger teams on the schedule. If the line continues to play like they did last night with Lindsay and Keyes abilities it could be a good year.
I agree with you. It is good to see Danny Boarman back on the sideline. He's the O-line coach, so you know they will improve.

Do you or anyone know if this is a two year contract? Will T-V be coming to Akron next year?

They are coming up Saturday morning for the JV game. Kudos to them as many schools would not bother given the distance.
Old 08-25-17, 01:39 PM
All Region

Tri-Valley already had a contract with D2 Logan to play week 1 in 2018 and 2019. TV was hunting for a 1 year deal for week 1 2017 and called the Irish last spring. They said they would call back. A couple weeks later TV got contacted by a Columbus area team and checked with the Irish first. Irish said yes, TV told the Columbus area team they already had a game and the rest is history.

QB is Andrew Newsom. Yes he is the player who had the 88 yard run against Boardman in the playoffs in 2015. (His dad is an ER Dr. and cleared him to play in that game. He had a hairline fracture in his leg.) On the play he had 2 hard hits put on him in the first 20 yards, but no one wrapped him up. He bounced around like a pinball until he popped out of the back and out ran the secondary. Highlight is at 7:03 on this 9 minute game highlight film.

http://www.storiedrivals.com/sports/..._Boardman_Wk11

By the way, I am not and have never been a football coach. Just a fan.

Last edited by teach1coach2; 08-26-17 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-25-17, 01:45 PM
All Region

Someone ask about the crowd size. Last night was about average for TV. When we play Sheridan and Zanesville at home people fill all the stands and stand on the hill on the north endzone and along the fence not in front of bleachers on the visitor's size.

Irish brought a pretty good crowd for a Thursday game 2 hours from home.

By the way, Storied Rivals was at the game last night and will have a highlight production of the game released late Wednesday night. I will post it here. It should be similar to the clip of the TV-Boardman game above.

Last edited by teach1coach2; 08-25-17 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-25-17, 10:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Tri-Valley already had a contract with D2 Logan to play week 1 in 2018 and 2019. TV was hunting for a 1 year deal for week 1 2017 and called the Irish last spring. They said they would call back. A couple weeks later TV got contacted by a Columbus area team and checked with the Irish first. Irish said yes, TV told the Columbus area team they already had a game and the rest is history.

QB is Andrew Newsom. Yes he is the player who had the 88 year run against Boardman in the playoffs in 2015. (His dad is an ER Dr. and cleared him to play in that game. He had a hairline fracture in his leg.) On the play he had 2 hard hits put on him in the first 20 yards, but no one wrapped him up. He bounced around like a pinball until he popped out of the back and out ran the secondary. Highlight is at 7:03 on this 9 minute game highlight film.

http://www.storiedrivals.com/sports/..._Boardman_Wk11

By the way, I am not and have never been a football coach. Just a fan.
I'm sorry it was just one year. T-V is a worthy opponent and despite the distance I think it could be a good yearly contest. From what you've said regarding the other teams in the MV League, T-V does not get much competition through the season to prepare them for the playoffs. That's not an issue for SVSM. The coaches choose to challenge the team every week. Their rigorous schedule also is impacted by the difficulty finding teams willing to play. They had a two year contract with Steubenville, went down there last year and beat them. Reno would not honor the second year and broke the contract. No respect for that.

I'll look for the video link next week.
Old 08-26-17, 09:38 PM
All Region

Good luck week 2.

The MVL is the correct league for all other sports at Tri-Valley. Football team has just had a good 11 year run.

Had played Licking Valley week 1 the last 4 years but they stopped the neighbor rivalry because TV won the last 2 years and was beating them JH through varsity.
Tried to get Dover week 1 (we played them 2009-2012 and split the 4 game series), but they were not interested.

There is just no other good league option for TV. Coach tries to make 2 non-league games a challenge for the kids. We have Zanesville week 3.

Good luck vs. Walsh Jesuit. Based on other threads it sounds like you have a good chance at 2-0.

Last edited by teach1coach2; 08-27-17 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 06:50 PM
Varsity

Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Football View Post
That's also what I have heard
His name is AJ Johnson and yes he transferred to Manchester. He is a DB/KR/WR/RB. He returned the opening kickoff 87 yards for a TD. I think he will help us a lot. Also, a very good DB.
Old 08-31-17, 07:17 PM
All Region

Game 1 highlights. Storied Rivals following Tri-Valley.

I hear TV-STVM had competitive JV and FR games on Saturday. TV won JV 15-14 and STVM had ball on 10 when clock ran out. FR game was 7-6 at half and STVM pulled away for a 20-6 win.
Old 08-31-17, 11:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Game 1 highlights. Storied Rivals following Tri-Valley.

I hear TV-STVM had competitive JV and FR games on Saturday. TV won JV 15-14 and STVM had ball on 10 when clock ran out. FR game was 7-6 at half and STVM pulled away for a 20-6 win.
Yes, two good games on Saturday.

Thanks for sharing this video. Nice for your kids to have this each week.

Good luck tmmr night.
Old 10-06-17, 08:40 PM
All Yappi

Irish get handled by Barberton with LaSalle and Massillon around the corner. Will October doom the Irish?
Old 10-06-17, 08:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Irish get handled by Barberton with LaSalle and Massillon around the corner. Will October doom the Irish?
They may only win one more game.
Old 10-06-17, 08:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They may only win one more game.
That's how its looking. Could put them on the outside looking in at playoff time.
Old 10-06-17, 09:09 PM
All World

Quote:
That's how its looking. Could put them on the outside looking in at playoff time.
My thought too. Will watch this play out.
Old 10-06-17, 09:10 PM
All Region

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
After last week's games, Pasteur had them on the bubble if they go 6-4, with a 39% chance to get in.
Old 10-07-17, 10:16 AM
All Yappi

Just amazed as how ineffective that OL is. Is Boarman back helping with the OL? I thought I saw him at the Hoban game doing so.
Old 10-07-17, 10:28 AM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just amazed as how ineffective that OL is. Is Boarman back helping with the OL? I thought I saw him at the Hoban game doing so.
He was on the SL @ Hoban game helping I was told.