Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-26-17, 12:26 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Danny Kannell is out
One of the very few former players turned "analysts" let go.
Old 04-26-17, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Wow. Jayson Stark is gone. Like Ed Werder, he had been at ESPN 17 years.

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/857285136357900288
Old 04-26-17, 12:31 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
WOW, shocked by Jayson Stark. No more cameo on Mike and Mike every week.
Old 04-26-17, 12:38 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Jesus, everything is about SJW's with people like pboy.

Just because women ruined your high school and college years by refusing to touch you doesn't mean they are out to ruin your life in all areas.

ESPN is failing because their model outside of live games is outdated. People don't need to sit around and watch Sportscenter to find out who won a game. They can find every stat they need within about 10 seconds. They also allowed the same format of show(two loud people yelling hot takes at each other) to dominate their programming. That format was popular briefly but has now worn out its welcome.

Additionally, fewer people subscribe to cable now and stream their sports through other sources both legal & illegal.

The explanation has to do with a changing market place that ESPN, like most massive brands, was slow to adapt to.
The whole sports talk industry is a giant fail on TV. The only way i'm listening to anyone talk about is via podcasts or radio in the car or when I'm doing something else. No way i am sitting doing and watching some jackhole read scripted, made up opinions to get ratings.

The only thing I am sitting down to watch anymore is the game. Not a six hour pregame show or a 2 hour post game show. Not 2 black people put on TV for ratings. Not some hot take person ripping off Jim Rome for the 8 billionth time.

Funny thing is I would actually sit down and watch a show that was just 30 minutes of highlights. No interviews. No opinions. No rants. No experts. Just highlights.

I wanna see that homer, or 80 yard run or slam dunk, not watch some idiot talk about it for 20 minutes.
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Rip espn.
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
First ones to go should have been the ones who played a big role in their downfall like Jamele Hill with such brutal content. Of course we all know Disney isn't about to go non-PC with their layoffs. Nothing like watching an entire show of someone talking about LeBron's shopping habits.
Jemle Hill has been a disaster since she fisrt showed up on Page 2 at ESPN many years ago. Zero substance and 100% of playing the race card.
Old 04-26-17, 12:40 PM
All Yappi

Buccigross is safe according to his twitter
Old 04-26-17, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
I agree with the general critique that there has been a leftward/pc political drift in ESPN's coverage. It seems to go hand in hand with an increased presence of AA "talent". What comes along with that is a complete reluctance by elite whites to have balanced discussions about anything racial (a lot of stuff in sports). White elites understand well that it's better just to keep quiet than to step over the line and get involved in a race discussion where you end up saying the wrong thing.

Bomani, for example. If you listen to his show on Sirius from 4-6 (or whenever it is)...the man is bright. But his show is heavily influenced by his race-conscious point of view. Those who challenge him (and it's pretty limited from my sampling) get ridiculed or called the R word.

For me, Bomani isn't entertaining. That's the main complaint.

So, sports talk has become the vehicle for AA's, primarily, to discuss larger topics...domestic politics, "justice" issues. For a variety of reasons, it's not something I'm interested in consuming as I'm driving around in my car.
Old 04-26-17, 12:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
The whole sports talk industry is a giant fail on TV. The only way i'm listening to anyone talk about is via podcasts or radio in the car or when I'm doing something else. No way i am sitting doing and watching some jackhole read scripted, made up opinions to get ratings.

The only thing I am sitting down to watch anymore is the game. Not a six hour pregame show or a 2 hour post game show. Not 2 black people put on TV for ratings. Not some hot take person ripping off Jim Rome for the 8 billionth time.

Funny thing is I would actually sit down and watch a show that was just 30 minutes of highlights. No interviews. No opinions. No rants. No experts. Just highlights.

I wanna see that homer, or 80 yard run or slam dunk, not watch some idiot talk about it for 20 minutes.
Yup. And this is the main reason, not SJW, ESPN is failing. Hop on Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, among other smaller sites for instant highlights, stats, bits of interviews, etc. And I can do it while watching Netflix, making dinner, taking the dogs out, etc.
Old 04-26-17, 12:49 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
So, sports talk has become the vehicle for AA's, primarily, to discuss larger topics...domestic politics, "justice" issues. For a variety of reasons, it's not something I'm interested in consuming as I'm driving around in my car.
This seems to be very accurate.
Old 04-26-17, 12:53 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Jemele Hill is horrible and Michael Smith is extremely boring. How they have kept their jobs at ESPN is mind boggling...

"Numbers Never Lie" - boring
"His & Hers" - boring
"The Six" - boring
Old 04-26-17, 01:02 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Trent Dilfer's out
Old 04-26-17, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
WOW, shocked by Jayson Stark. No more cameo on Mike and Mike every week.
Well, the days of Mike and Mike are numbered. Greenberg is getting his own show soon. Then Golic will be radio only with either Trey Wingo or Golic Jr.
Old 04-26-17, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

names so far.... most I honestly don't know

Ted Miller
Brian Bennett
Trent Dilfer
Jayson Stark
CL Brown
Danny kanell
Doug Padilla
Derek tyson
Jeremy Crabtree
JJ Taylor
Joe McDonald
Brendan Fitzgerald
Mike Goodman
Jim Bowden
Eamon Brennan
Brett McMurphy
Jesse Temple
Pierre LeBrun
Austin Ward
Dana O'Neill
Scott Burnside
Ed werder
Jay Crawford

Sadly none of these people appear to be the talking heads and/or drama queens that were dragging them down

Mostly honest to goodness reporters

Also, it seems that ESPN is THIS CLOSE to being totally out of the hockey business. They can finally pull the plug on their pathetic attempt kind of but not really acknowledging the NHL.
Old 04-26-17, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
They just got rid of the 6 PM to give her and Michael Smith their own show.
You have to wonder what Lindsay Czarniak's future is once she returns from maternity leave. If memory serves, she only hosted the 6PM SportsCenter before Smith and Hill were given her old spot.
Old 04-26-17, 01:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Well, the days of Mike and Mike are numbered. Greenberg is getting his own show soon. Then Golic will be radio only with either Trey Wingo or Golic Jr.
Greenburg on his own will be a complete disaster.
Old 04-26-17, 01:11 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
"If you don't agree with me 100% you're a liberal!" Classic.
No, but when it comes to SJW's there is no compromise. If you don't loath these people then you're not a conservative.
Old 04-26-17, 01:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I agree with the general critique that there has been a leftward/pc political drift in ESPN's coverage. It seems to go hand in hand with an increased presence of AA "talent". What comes along with that is a complete reluctance by elite whites to have balanced discussions about anything racial (a lot of stuff in sports). White elites understand well that it's better just to keep quiet than to step over the line and get involved in a race discussion where you end up saying the wrong thing.

Bomani, for example. If you listen to his show on Sirius from 4-6 (or whenever it is)...the man is bright. But his show is heavily influenced by his race-conscious point of view. Those who challenge him (and it's pretty limited from my sampling) get ridiculed or called the R word.

This seems about right to me.
Old 04-26-17, 01:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
No, but when it comes to SJW's there is no compromise. If you don't loath these people then you're not a conservative.
Actually, yes. That's exactly what you said.
Old 04-26-17, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Who said I didn't?

I loathe SJW's for the fact that, among other reasons, they see politics as the dominant factor in every single thing in life, and operate with emotion rather than logic. It just so happens, you do the exact same thing. You're nothing more than two sides of the same coin.

To believe a primary cause of this was a "SJW stance" by ESPN, is trying to simplify the entire world to fit your world view. A very SJW thing to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

pboy falls into this trap because he was traumatized by being sexually humiliated during his formative years. Not sure why you do.
Neo you sure are good at bobbing & weaving! You don't have a clue as to what a SJW is or you just like twisting the definition. Here's a good book that you need to check out:

https://www.amazon.com/SJWs-Always-L.../dp/B014GMBUR4

It's a quick & easy read!
Old 04-26-17, 01:19 PM
All American

I'm guessing most of these guys/ladies land on their feet. Albeit a much smaller audience. However they'll likely be better off. I'm not sure how ESPN turns this around. A lot of people genuinely hate EPSN now.
Old 04-26-17, 01:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Greenburg on his own will be a complete disaster.
The format of the show will be different than Mike and Mike. It sounds like it will be half SportsCenter and half Good Morning America.

Quote:
The new show will have elements of SportsCenter—which currently airs at that time—as well as a traditional morning show.
https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/0...portscenter-am
Old 04-26-17, 01:42 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:

I think you nailed it.
Old 04-26-17, 01:47 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
I cannot understand how ESPN president John Skipper hasn't been let go. He's the one who caused this mess by agreeing to the exorbitant rights fees to the NFL, NBA and colleges. Especially in light how of quick Disney was to fire former COO/CFO/chairman of Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs and former studio chiefs Dick Cook and Rich Ross.
Same here. It's baffling none of the exec's are being laid off. It tells me Disney wants to keep the content largely the same and maybe even make it more political than it already is.
Old 04-26-17, 01:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The format of the show will be different than Mike and Mike. It sounds like it will be half SportsCenter and half Good Morning America.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/0...portscenter-am
Yeah... which means 100% crap

no one was listening to that show for Greenburg. No one.
Old 04-26-17, 01:51 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
"If you don't agree with me 100% you're a liberal!" Classic.
Especially hilarious because lotr would support a UBI if Trump came out in favor of it tomorrow. He has no principles of any kind, much less conservative ones.
Old 04-26-17, 01:58 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
no one was listening to that show for Greenburg. No one.
I think Greenburg is the consummate media professional. He's the talk show equivalent of the comedy straight man. His job is to make the trains run on time. His show is a great show if the guest (or Golic) knocks it out of the park.

Greenburg is the one with a bright future. Golic (who comes from my part of the world and who I like) is the one that it's hard to imagine running his own radio show. Just listen to him on those rare occasions where he takes Greenie's job when he's on vacation.
Old 04-26-17, 01:59 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
The long-term question is what will ESPN become when Amazon buys it from Disney...?

Bezos taking over instead of Iger would really shake things up. It's well known Iger wants to get into politics and he's been using ESPN as a platform for his political views.
Old 04-26-17, 02:01 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Completely agree an all points. I will say, the only radio host that is willing to even attempt to say something that might not be PC is Ryen Russillo.
Old 04-26-17, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Add Len Elmore to the list. Not a fan of his, but he's been at it a while. Have to wonder how long they'll keep Corso or Dickie V. Corso's been a walking corpse for about 10 years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: