Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-04-17, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer05 View Post
ok, i'll weigh in after this childish back and forth that several of you have had:

X was better in almost all facets of the game. UC came out unprepared for the environment and when X jumped on them, they simply didn't have enough to come back. They defended well after going down 21-5, causing turnovers at times, etc but not enough offense to get the game to within striking distance. UC actually stole the ball and had a 3 with a little over a minute when they were down 9, but couldn't convert.

Instead of this shootout ending with a simple headline of "X is better than UC", Mick had to create this sh$%storm in the media by acting like a child. I don't care what any player says to you during a game, when you're a coach, you don't worry about stuff like that. you coach YOUR team and worry about YOUR players. he couldn't do that, couldn't handle it, and acted like an idiot after the game. he created the handshake line fiasco by almost running through it like a bat of out of hell ahead of his entire team when it was over. then, when he snubbed the last 4 or 5 players in the line, JP must've said something and he came after him like an idiot saying, "You want a piece of me, mother f$$%er?" how does any D1 coach do this? how? that's inexcusable no matter what was said. i don't care what JP said to him DURING the game. that's still no excuse. and then to bring it up in the press conference makes him sound even more like the whiny baby he is.

JP, no matter what UC or XU fans think, is not punk or a d#ck. he's the guy that every single one of you want playing for your team (including Mick who recruited him. ) and he's the guy who every other team hates playing against. the game of basketball has a psychological part to it and JP is great at getting under other teams/coach's skin, as he did with Mick. Mick was so focused on him that he got T'd up himself. instead of focusing on his own players/adjustments/etc, he was worried about JP. score one for JP. he's great at doing that and Mick fell for it.

the better team won the game. Mick got "played", outcoached, etc.

i'm gonna guess UC drops to around 18 or so and XU moves up to like 13. not that the rankings even really matter. both teams will end up in the top 25 pretty much all season long.

hopefully UC can get a couple signature wins here in the next couple weeks so as to strengthen XU's SOS.
Hardly a surprise bballer gets wet that Macura “played Mick”.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-17, 01:17 PM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I don’t think Mack came off well bringing up Stephenson. He should have said the actions of both Cronin and Macura were unacceptable.
i didn't think he needed to bring up the LS thing either. could've said exactly what he said without alluding to that and would've been fine. still would've made his point.
Old 12-04-17, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
i didn't think he needed to bring up the LS thing either. could've said exactly what he said without alluding to that and would've been fine. still would've made his point.
You don’t think he should have said players shouldn’t be talking to opposing coaches like that? Do you think Mack supports his players doing that?
Old 12-04-17, 01:30 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yup, can’t argue that.
Well baller said he wasn't a dick.

Last edited by Arrogate; 12-04-17 at 02:29 PM..
Old 12-04-17, 01:53 PM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
You don’t think he should have said players shouldn’t be talking to opposing coaches like that? Do you think Mack supports his players doing that?
he said there's two sides to every story and that there was a reason that Mick got T'd up, that the ref told him why he got T'd up(he wouldn't say why). could it be that Mick said something to JP when he and Moore were jawing at each other (when they got their double T's?) i think it's quite possible.

hard to know what was said, who said what first, etc unless you were down there on the floor.

it's a rivalry game. players talk smack in these games ALL THE TIME. the fact that Mick got involved in it tells me he let his frustration get the best of him, even AFTER the game. NONE of this would even be a story if Mick doesn't go after JP in the handshake line like he did. NONE of it would be talked about at all. Cronin is the coach, the adult, the one who should be held to the higher standard, yet he acted in the exact manner that he would berate his own players for doing, then tries to make the excuse that it's ok because of what the player supposedly said to him? it's total hypocrisy by Mick, the one who should be leading by example. well, he sure did LEAD BY EXAMPLE, the same way he always does - with that "whiny angry baby" image that he portrays 95% of the time.
Old 12-04-17, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
he said there's two sides to every story and that there was a reason that Mick got T'd up, that the ref told him why he got T'd up(he wouldn't say why). could it be that Mick said something to JP when he and Moore were jawing at each other (when they got their double T's?) i think it's quite possible.

hard to know what was said, who said what first, etc unless you were down there on the floor.
Now you’re just making up a scenario without any factual backing.

Since Mick has no history of confronting players and JP has a deserved reputation of being a POS like that, so it’s pretty obvious what is most likely there.
Old 12-04-17, 05:12 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
NONE of this would even be a story if Mick doesn't go after JP in the handshake line like he did. NONE of it would be talked about at all. then tries to make the excuse that it's ok because of what the player supposedly said to him? it's total hypocrisy by Mick, the one who should be leading by example.
Agreed.

Next he took it even further with the press conference comments.
Old 12-04-17, 10:23 PM
All World

St.X fan2
Cronin is a hot head with all the yelling he does at officials and JP takes it too far with the way he acts. Both guys are at fault but a head coach needs to have more self-control than to charge at a player and allegedly cuss at him.

Last edited by St.X fan2; 12-04-17 at 10:36 PM..
Old 12-05-17, 08:18 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:

Since Mick has no history of confronting players and JP has a deserved reputation of being a POS like that, so it’s pretty obvious what is most likely there.
where has it ever been said that JP has a "deserved reputation", and i mean has it ever come out that he has ever said ANYTHING to an opposing coach? ever? no, it hasn't. he has a way of getting under the skin of other team's players. it's part of the psychological game in basketball. go google some of what Larry Bird used to do. same type of stuff. players who fall into the trap tend to play worse or get T'd up. Cronin fell for it as well. Got him out of his game to where he was focused on JP instead of his own team. That's on Cronin. he did exactly the opposite of what he would tell his players to do, which is "just play your game and don't fall into that stuff with the other team".

should i just believe whiny Cronin and what he said? how do you know that's true at all? i have factual video of Cronin saying "i don't take sh&t from punk &ss mother f&&&ers" in the huddle to his own players. very classy by the coach, and the going after a 22 year old after the game in the handshake line? i guess that' ok as well. solid behavior from a D1 coach.
Old 12-05-17, 08:45 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
There's a reason multiple XU fans are agreeing that Macura is a punk.
Old 12-05-17, 09:32 AM
All Region

whachutalkinbout is on a distinguished road
I think I saw that XU has won 8 of the last 11 and that UC has not won back to back since 1995. That got me thinking. What is the record between the two since 1996?

UC was lucky not to lose by 40 in that game. Credit them for sticking to it. Going into that game UC's opponents had a combined record of 15-32.
Old 12-05-17, 09:44 AM
All American

Why 1996?
Old 12-05-17, 09:46 AM
All Region

whachutalkinbout is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Why 1996?
Because like I said above, I heard UC had not won back to back since 1995. So....I was wondering what their overall head to head was since that time.

I looked it up 15 wins for XU and 7 for UC. That is quite dominating. Not as dominating as the 22-2 mark UC held over XU in the 60's and 70's though.
Old 12-05-17, 09:49 AM
All American

Oh, duh. My bad.
Old 12-06-17, 10:59 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Considering every media member that was courtside has come out and said that Cronin jawed with JP the entire game and was just as vulgar to JP. It seems pretty clear Mick could not handle losing again to Xavier and instead of talking about how his team was not prepared he wanted to make a fake narrative about what happened, to try and make his behavior of charging JP and trying to fight him look like it was all JP's fault when in fact he had done just what he claimed he had never seen a player do. If a media member had guts, they would follow up with Mick at his next appearance and ask if a coach yelling profanities throughout a game is something he has seen or done in his 15 years of coaching.
Old 12-06-17, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
Considering every media member that was courtside has come out and said that Cronin jawed with JP the entire game and was just as vulgar to JP. It seems pretty clear Mick could not handle losing again to Xavier and instead of talking about how his team was not prepared he wanted to make a fake narrative about what happened, to try and make his behavior of charging JP and trying to fight him look like it was all JP's fault when in fact he had done just what he claimed he had never seen a player do. If a media member had guts, they would follow up with Mick at his next appearance and ask if a coach yelling profanities throughout a game is something he has seen or done in his 15 years of coaching.
Cronin is not a good coach, period. One Sweet 16 in 12 seasons shouldn't be acceptable for a program the caliber of UC. The media and fans have a hardon for him bc he's local, they need to wake up.
Old 12-06-17, 11:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whachutalkinbout View Post
Because like I said above, I heard UC had not won back to back since 1995. So....I was wondering what their overall head to head was since that time.

I looked it up 15 wins for XU and 7 for UC. That is quite dominating. Not as dominating as the 22-2 mark UC held over XU in the 60's and 70's though.
That 1996 game (Lenny Brown) was really the turning point in the series.
Old 12-06-17, 03:42 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
That 1996 game (Lenny Brown) was really the turning point in the series.
Ah, yes.....Downtown Lenny Brown, who put himself into the annals of Xavier immortality (along with Andy Mac's famous call):

"The UC Bearcats, #1 in the country, #2 in their own city".

You may well have hit the nail on the head, Descartes. In 1999, of course, X did it to #1 UC AGAIN! Incredible.
Old 12-07-17, 09:30 AM
All World

Bballer05
solid job vs. Kent State last night. game was tough to watch because of all the fouls (i bet there were 16 fouls called in the first 8 minutes of the game and then in the 2nd half, Xavier was in the bonus at the 14:45 mark. it was ugly) but Muskies played well. Up 30-25 late in first half, then went on a 25-2 run at end of half and beginning of 2nd half.

really starting to warm up to Kanter, who has become a nice addition as a 3rd big and is starting to gain confidence and play more aggressively.

on to Colorado on Saturday.
Old 12-08-17, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Seems like things have cooled down in here since last weekend. Can always count on Bballer to be a huge homer. Funny to see the takes of each side. People take issue with Mick and how he handled it, rightly so but you never hear anything about Mack and how has zero control over his players. Remember the whole "zip 'em up" comments after the brawl. Did the XU players even get suspended at all? I know Mack was criticized back then for it, but he also needs to reel in his players too.

As for the back and forth, the version I heard:
-Macura at least 3 times told Mick to F-off during the game
-Mick wouldn't shake his hand afterwards
-Macura told him to suck his....
-Mick went after him and said you want to go MFer.

Overall good stuff from the Shootout as always.
Old 12-08-17, 04:12 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Seems like things have cooled down in here since last weekend. Can always count on Bballer to be a huge homer. Funny to see the takes of each side. People take issue with Mick and how he handled it, rightly so but you never hear anything about Mack and how has zero control over his players. Remember the whole "zip 'em up" comments after the brawl. Did the XU players even get suspended at all? I know Mack was criticized back then for it, but he also needs to reel in his players too.
To answer your question, yes....Coach Mack suspended 4 players:
Dez Wells - 4 games
Landen Amos - 4 games
Mark Lyons - 2 games
Tu Holloway - 1 game
Old 12-09-17, 02:04 AM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
Mack has complete control over his team. Talking happens in sports. Anyone who is upset about it should maybe find another hobby/job. Mick included
Old 12-11-17, 08:48 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post

As for the back and forth, the version I heard:
-Macura at least 3 times told Mick to F-off during the game
-Mick wouldn't shake his hand afterwards
-Macura told him to suck his....
-Mick went after him and said you want to go MFer.

Overall good stuff from the Shootout as always.
that's funny. even UC fans said Mick was completely out of line.

this has ZERO to do with the brawl. there isn't one player on either team who was even there during that game.

the irony/hilarity of the entire thing is how Mick tried to say that JP wouldn't play for him when he recruited him so hard.

the fact is - every UC fan would LOVE to have JP on their team. so would pretty much any other D1 school. but when he doesn't play for your team, you can't stand him.

but once again, it comes down to Mack not having control over his players.
Old 12-11-17, 12:14 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
The narrative that Mack has no control over his players is funny stuff. Literally no one thinks that besides butthurt UC fans. The sensible UC fans admit Mack is great.
Old 12-11-17, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
The narrative that Mack has no control over his players is funny stuff. Literally no one thinks that besides butthurt UC fans. The sensible UC fans admit Mack is great.
UC fans enable the program's mediocrity by deflecting Mick's constant failures off onto Xavier. Bottom line, UC wasn't ready to play. That's a big knock on the coach.
Old 12-12-17, 06:29 AM
All World

WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
The whole "Mack doesn't have control of his players" narrative is so hilariously tired. It is only UC fans that think this and it basically boils down to sour grapes. Letting the players talk at the presser was the only thing I think Mack could have and/or should have done differently about that Shootout.
Old 12-12-17, 01:46 PM
Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
The NCAA tourney is a great measuring stick....which coach gets his team into the second weekend more often? Mack for sure. Nice feature during last year's tourney run where former coach's described how good Mack is at adjusting his defense based on the opponent and how many coaches hate it when X is in their region as they know it will be a nightmare of a game even if they beat them. X being talked about like a Gonzaga is a compliment too.