Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-17, 02:09 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
I believe it's a 'sweet' song!!!

:>---

Empty G

You mean like "Fox" On The Run ?

JB
Old 12-01-17, 02:57 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Somewhere between '70 - '75.
Old 12-01-17, 03:45 PM
All Ohio

Bevo,

This may help. . .it's between 1975 and 1977.

JB
Old 12-01-17, 04:18 PM
All American

You all know I am joking right? Right?

Not John Davidson the other Love Boat guy.
Old 12-01-17, 07:46 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
"Happy Days" theme song?
Old 12-02-17, 12:12 AM
All Ohio

BlackHawk,

The "Happy Days" theme song is a very good guess and you do have the correct year(1976) for our mystery song, but " Happy Days" by Pratt & McClain peaked at number 5 and never made it to the number 1 spot.

JB
Old 12-02-17, 07:18 AM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
So it's not the "Miami Vice" theme.
Old 12-02-17, 07:53 AM
All Ohio

Diva,

I have been waiting and waiting for someone to come up with the "Theme From Miami Vice", by Jan Hammer mainly because the song did reach number 1 status on the Pop Charts. However it's not the correct answer since it charted in September of 1985, nine years after the song I'm looking for.

Best answer so far, since your guess did reach number 1, just too late. Sorry.

JB
Old 12-02-17, 08:14 PM
All District

I loved that show and the theme. Don Johnson was as hot as they come.
Old 12-03-17, 10:00 AM
All Ohio

Appears this mystery tune which peaked at number 1 the week of February 28,1976 after climbing to that lofty slot starting back on January 10,1976 has stumped our panel of experts.

The first theme song from a TV series to reach #1 on the Pop Charts was "The Theme From S.W.A.T", an instrumental by the group Rhythm Heritage. The group only had one other song ever break the top 40 on the pop charts and that was also another TV theme song from the old Robert Blake crime show, Baretta, ( Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow) which was another instrumental that reached # 20 in the spring of 1976.

A little more trivia about the group, Rhythm Heritage. . .they were a group of session musicians that included two particular members that both later had songs hit #1. Jeff Porcaro from Toto with the #1 hit #Africa" and Ray Parker Jr. who had the #1 hit, "Ghostbusters" .

Incidentally, one of the producers of the two Rhythm Heritage hits also was a producer of John Sebastians' number one single " The Theme from "Welcome Back Kotter" which actually generated this trivia question in the first place. This question has now gone full circle !

JB
Old 12-03-17, 04:23 PM
All American

I guess I should get.00001 % corect since - although - I did not mention S.W.A.T - I did mention the LSAT !

On to a group that I listened to a lot and I actually had an 8-track tape of.: Three Dog Night had more hits that you can shake a stick at; to wit:

1. Joy to The world - 1 - '71
2. Mama told Me - 1 - 70 (Randy Newman song, I believe)
3. Black and White - - 72
4. Shambala - 3 - 73
5. The Show Must Go On - 4 - 74
6. East to be Hard - 4 - 69
7. Old Fashioned Love Song (written by someone we have not mentioned often - if at all, Paul Wiiliams) 4 - 71
8. One - 5 - 69
9. Try A Little Tenderness
10. Let Me Serenade you - 17 -73
11. Pieces of April - 19- 73
12. Play Something Sweet - 33 - 74
13. One-man band - 19-71
14. Out in the Country - 15 - 70
15. Never Been to Spain - 5 -72
16. Eli's Coming - 10 -6917. Celebrate - 15 - 70
17. Family of Man 12 - 72
18. Sure As I Am Sitting Here - 16 - 74
19. Liar - 7 - 71

Quite a list but not a Rock Hall member or very highly thought of, I gather. Better than Huey but yet similar in that they were popular and then vanished. Seems as though there were drug issues with the band. every once in a while I'll see Chuck Negron out on one of The Happy Together tours.
Old 12-03-17, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I believe it's a 'sweet' song!!!

Empty G
I was thinking 'Sugar, Sugar' (The Archies) but that is wrong.

Empty G
Old 12-03-17, 06:25 PM
All District

Back when I was in 8th grade (jr. high), the high school swing choir came over for an assembly. One of the songs they sang was "Eli's Coming", complete with guitar and drums. A young woman named Roberta sang one of the leads. I swore then and there I would join swing choir and continue my singing. I wrote it in my journal.

Just a few years ago I found Roberta on Facebook. I told her my story, that her song solidified my desire to be a singer and that I have done that to this day.
Old 12-03-17, 07:08 PM
All World

Some of my earliest favorite bands (when I was still in grade school): the Beatles, the Monkees, Herman's Hermits and Three Dog Night. "Joy to the World" (written by Hoyt Axton!) was a huge radio hit when I was in the 8th grade and the following summer. We listened to WING-AM in Dayton on our transistor radios (we never had enough batteries). DJ's at WING included Steve Kirk, Gene "By Golly" Barry and Wolfman Jack (syndicated). Then along came WVUD-FM (now-defunct)...the first album oriented FM radio station that I remember, broadcasting from the University of Dayton. WTUE-FM then obliterated WVUD and dominated the Dayton market.

Fun facts: Hoyt Axton also wrote "Never Been to Spain" (I loved that song), Ringo's "No No Song" and Steppenwolf's "The Pusher", among many others.
Old 12-03-17, 07:10 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Excellent question to make a bar bet with. Never would have guessed "S.W.A.T." in a million years.
Old 12-03-17, 07:43 PM
All American

Well, the "dog" has awoken the crowd or the Sunday night blues have set in. Whatever... .

Zurnado - I had always heard it was Hoyt Axton's mom, Mae, who wrote The Pusher; not quibbling - just enjoying the conversation.

BlackHawk - you can see that you were all in during those years. I can remember when, a Columbus radio station went heavy album cuts in the late 60's - early 70's. JB will know this; I thought at the time it was WNCI. I actually went on a date once with a jockey from WCOL; we shared some chemistry, I'm happy to report - H2O, Carbon, and Oxygen.

There was also an FM station in Findlay that was HEAVY; the main jock's name was Redbeard. I helped schedule bands at the Upper Sandusky Youth Center during '72 - '73. Redbeard would promote them during the week.
When I finally met him at a dance at our j.high, it was a lot like Steve (Ron Howard) meeting Wolfman Jack in American Graffitti - for both of us. I not sure who had the melting ice cream bar, could have been both.

Diva - Three dog's night list is very impressive.

I mentioned the diminutive but extremely talented song writer, Paul Williams. He was on Mike Douglas and Merv Griffith a lot! Good story teller and songwriter. I believe he did a lot with the Carpenters; sort of Carol Bayer Sagerish in a way.

Diva - in my best passive/aggressive way You Tube Paul Williams' Waking Up Alone. I loved the song, the lyrics. Just now I really apprecited the You Tube comments others made. It is exactly the way I felt and still feel about this song.

Last edited by Bevo; 12-04-17 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-03-17, 08:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I was thinking 'Sugar, Sugar' (The Archies) but that is wrong.

Empty G
Ohiopup,

You know that is really an interesting answer for several reasons. There was a Saturday morning cartoon series in the late 60's called Archie & Friends and as you mentioned, the song "Sugar,Sugar" did reach number 1 status on the Pop Charts in 1969 recorded by the group The Archies.

I can see the connection, but the actual theme song of the Archie Sat. morning cartoon was "Everything's Archie". A few years ago there was a lengthy discussion on the Huddle about a music writer/singer named Ron Dante who was the voice of a few "imaginary" bands comprised of studio musicians and Ron Dante lead vocalist. Dante was the lead singer of The Archies,, The Detergents who had the spoof hit "Leader of The Laundromat" and The Cuff Links who had the hit "Tracy". These groups never toured, never gave interviews, and never existed in reality.

The imaginary group The Archies released a greatest hits album and gave the appearance that 'Sugar, Sugar" was the theme of the TV show,but wasn't the theme, just a mega-hit for the bubblegum crowd. "Sugar, Sugar " was actually the number one selling hit of 1969.

JB
Old 12-03-17, 09:00 PM
All American

Wow - you're telling me the song of the year, the year I graduated was Sugar, Sugar. Good category - Imaginary Bands.

Next up, a band with some great, great songs - The Animals.

Last edited by Bevo; 12-03-17 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 10:15 AM
All American

The Animals! I have recited on here that as a very young teen the a.m. station I listened to at night ( 8:00 - 11:00) The Night Owl Show with Barry Martin on WFOB, Fostoria) played House of The Rising Sun one night and because it was so new, ask listeners if they knew the name of the song.

It certainly wouldn't be long before this iconic song about a whore house would be become a classic Animals' song.

The Animals had a nice edge and I liked a lot of their songs; sort of white man blues, I guess.

1. House of The Rising Sun - 1 - '64
2. Don't Bring Me Down 12 - 66
3. We Gotta Get Out of This Place - 13 - 65
4. Don't Let be Misunderstood - 15 - 65 (My favorite)\
5. I'm Lying - 19 - 64
6. It's My Life - 12 - 66
7. Bring It on Home - 32 - 65
8. Boom, Boom - 43 - 65
9. San Francisco Nights - 9 - 67 This was very groovy and I loved it!
10. When I Was Young - 67 - Album cut
11. Sky Pilot - Album Cut

I didn't see it but under a different incarnation of the band didn't they do a song called Spill the Wine or Drink That Wine?

They were a great alternative to much of what was around!
Old 12-04-17, 10:54 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Ohiopup,

You know that is really an interesting answer for several reasons. There was a Saturday morning cartoon series in the late 60's called Archie & Friends and as you mentioned, the song "Sugar,Sugar" did reach number 1 status on the Pop Charts in 1969 recorded by the group The Archies.

I can see the connection, but the actual theme song of the Archie Sat. morning cartoon was "Everything's Archie". A few years ago there was a lengthy discussion on the Huddle about a music writer/singer named Ron Dante who was the voice of a few "imaginary" bands comprised of studio musicians and Ron Dante lead vocalist. Dante was the lead singer of The Archies,, The Detergents who had the spoof hit "Leader of The Laundromat" and The Cuff Links who had the hit "Tracy". These groups never toured, never gave interviews, and never existed in reality.

The imaginary group The Archies released a greatest hits album and gave the appearance that 'Sugar, Sugar" was the theme of the TV show,but wasn't the theme, just a mega-hit for the bubblegum crowd. "Sugar, Sugar " was actually the number one selling hit of 1969.

JB
I'd forgot about the "Everything's Archie" theme song for the cartoon. Great stuff.

Imaginary group? Say it ain't so! My researchers have uncovered actual footage of the "real" Archies at their high school reunion doing their other bubble-gum classic, "Jingle Jangle" - at least a truncated version of it.

Song starts at the 2:35 mark.

Old 12-04-17, 12:06 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Appears this mystery tune which peaked at number 1 the week of February 28,1976 after climbing to that lofty slot starting back on January 10,1976 has stumped our panel of experts.

The first theme song from a TV series to reach #1 on the Pop Charts was "The Theme From S.W.A.T", an instrumental by the group Rhythm Heritage. The group only had one other song ever break the top 40 on the pop charts and that was also another TV theme song from the old Robert Blake crime show, Baretta, ( Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow) which was another instrumental that reached # 20 in the spring of 1976.

A little more trivia about the group, Rhythm Heritage. . .they were a group of session musicians that included two particular members that both later had songs hit #1. Jeff Porcaro from Toto with the #1 hit #Africa" and Ray Parker Jr. who had the #1 hit, "Ghostbusters" .

Incidentally, one of the producers of the two Rhythm Heritage hits also was a producer of John Sebastians' number one single " The Theme from "Welcome Back Kotter" which actually generated this trivia question in the first place. This question has now gone full circle !

JB
"JB" - Absolutely great question! Not too often are the "Wayward Ones" stumped, at least after so many attempts, but you did it. Also, I had no idea that Rhythm Heritage also recorded "Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow". Speaking of "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time", Robert Blake certainly lived that scenario and suffered (at least financially).

Zunardo - Great find with the actual footage of the "real" Archies at their high school reunion doing, "Jingle Jangle".

ROCK ON!
Old 12-04-17, 06:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post

... I didn't see it but under a different incarnation of the band didn't they do a song called Spill the Wine or Drink That Wine? ...
"Spill the Wine" was by Eric Burden's next group, Eric Burden and War (later known as War).

War had plenty of their own hits, too.
Old 12-05-17, 07:22 PM
All American

No love lost for Eric Burdon, Chas Chandler and the rest of The Animals. Great clip on You Tube of them on Ed Sullivan.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are goooood. Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood. If I seem edgy, I want you to know that I never meant to take out on you. Life has it's problems and I've had my share but there 's only one thing I mean to do. But, I Love you; oh, oh, oh, oh, baby, don't you know I'm human - have thoughts just like any other one. And , don't you know there's no one alive who can always be an angel ... ."

Loved them!
Old 12-05-17, 07:51 PM
All World

^^^Oops, I misspelled "Burdon" (two posts up). At least I spelled "War" right.
Old 12-06-17, 10:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Somehow we missed this but I saw it today. The nominees for the 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of fame (festivities in Cleveland this year). Expect 5-8 to make it in.

1. Bon Jovi I say "In". Huge following should count for something
2. Kate Bush - Don't know her.
3. The Cars - Yep.
4. Dire Straits - Not in? No way. Way!
5. Eurythmics - Sure
6. J. Geils Band - Please!
7. Judas Priest - Not for me
8. L.L. Cool J. Ditto
9. MC5 - I had their stuff but I am not sure.
10. The Meters ???
11. Moody Blues - Yes, after almost 55 freakin' years!
12. Radiohead - know them but don't know them
13. Rage Against the Machine - Ditto
14. Rufus featuring Chaka Kahn - Ditto
15. Nina Simone - big star; overlooked
16. Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Just don't know her.
17. Link Wray - yep because JB said so.
18. The Zombies - the catalogue is small but "Tell Her No" and "She's Not There" are classics. But, a lot of bands had a couple of hits. I don't know its name but they have a seminal album that they still preform in its entirety that is very highly regarded. I say "No", not yet.

So, I'll go with: Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits, J. Geils Band, Eurythmics, Moody Blues, Nina Simone and Link Wray

My son just screamed "What about Tommy James and the Schondells?" from Cincinnati/Dayton area. Still performing and a monster hit maker in the 60's. Actually, there is more here than you remember. (Note to self: discuss T.J.)

Comments?

Bevo,

Thought I would give you an update on how the "members" of The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame voted on the 2018 inductees for the new class. The official inductees are going to be announced on Wednesday, 12/13/17 at 7:00 AM.

The top 5 vote-getters for the class of 2018 by "members" of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is now closed. These top 5 listed below received the most votes and as a result each will receive 1 extra vote in the "Official" Induction vote.

I usually vote each year in the fan's vote and received an e-mail today showing how we "common members" voted and were advised the polls were now closed. Of course, we members don't have the final say in the selection but typically the "common voters" popularity vote is a decent barometer of what the official selection committee will select.

1. Bon Jovi - 1.16 million votes
2. The Moody Blues - 947,000 votes
3. Dire Straits - 613,000 votes
4. The Cars - 552,000 votes
5. Judas Priest - 538,000 votes

I've been a Charter Member of the Rock Hall since it's beginning and yes, I even have my own "brick in the wall" in the front of the Cleveland Hall. What's really cool about that brick is the RRHOF also sent me an exact duplicate of my brick encased in an attractive display case that serves as a perfect book-end in my den/office.

I hope this is the year that The Moody Blues finally get inducted. They are long overdue in my opinion. It will be interesting to see the official results next Wednesday. Thought you might be interested on how the fans voted.

JB
Old 12-06-17, 11:21 PM
All American

Very interesting; ready to discuss. We can go deep on this soon.
Old 12-07-17, 10:07 AM
All American

Certainly agree with The Moody Blues. You and I a few more know the song "Go Now" and that is over 50 years old. They were every bit a part of the first British Invasion. Heard that Jann Wenner didn't care for them. Ok... .

Bob Jovi - Sure plenty of rockers for the girls and the boys. Plus, I always though Jon seemed like a decent guy.

The Cars - part of that Talking Heads, Pet Shop Boys, era. Sort of anti-rock, rock. Just What I Needed is a song that makes you play air drums.

Dire Straits - can't believe they weren't in; it wasn't all Mark.

Judas Priest - caught me at the wrong life moment because - other than their name - I know nothing about them.

We'll see if the "judges" agree with the fans. Nina Simone is often cited as an over -looked artist.

Eurythmics have have certainly made their mark. One song is not a catalogue but Would I Lie to You is a great, great raver. Just played the official video; makes me wish I was one of the horn players or even one of the lady singers. Just rockin' it!

Annie seems to be highly thought of; ditto that for Dave Stewart as an arranger, producer and performer. I know he worked with Dylan for awhile.

Last edited by Bevo; 12-07-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-07-17, 03:47 PM
All American

7. Judas Priest
They may not have the Top 40 resume, but their 1979 live album "Unleashed In The East" is HOF-worthy. And they had hits with well-made covers of Fleetwood Mac and Joan Baez tunes.

Just for fun, I recommend folks Youtube "Victims Of Change" from that album. You may want to turn the volume down a little until the halfway point, then the magic happens. Not too many drummers can handle hard rock and subtle funk in the same song. Rob Halford at his vocal peak - range and power. Ian Gillan of Deep Purple would give a thumbs-up.

10. The Meters
I just found out about them maybe five years ago. 1970's mostly-instrumental funk band, cruised under the radar. "Cissy Strut" is probably their biggest hit. Best drummer name of any band: Zigaboo Modeliste

18. The Zombies
Interesting, because of their strong 1960's influence. Yes, smaller catalog, but Rod Argent went on to found the group Argent, and singer Colin Blunstone had a hit as the lead vocalist on "When I'm Old and Wise" with The Alan Parsons Project.
Old 12-07-17, 05:48 PM
All Ohio

Here's a challenging rock trivia question for anyone up to the task. Listed are 5 well known songs that all reached number one on The Top 40 Charts during the years of 1969-1970:

"Dizzy" by Tommy Roe
"Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet" by The Henry Mancini Orchestra
"Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies
"Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkle
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Diana Ross

What is the common denominator that these 5 Number One Songs all have in common with each other ? I meant to ask this question a few days ago when we were discussing the song "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies and I forgot to ask it at that time. There really is something they have in common other than being a number one hit.

JB
Old 12-07-17, 06:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Here's a challenging rock trivia question for anyone up to the task. Listed are 5 well known songs that all reached number one on The Top 40 Charts during the years of 1969-1970:

"Dizzy" by Tommy Roe
"Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet" by The Henry Mancini Orchestra
"Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies
"Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkle
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Diana Ross

What is the common denominator that these 5 Number One Songs all have in common with each other ? I meant to ask this question a few days ago when we were discussing the song "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies and I forgot to ask it at that time. There really is something they have in common other than being a number one hit.

JB
Could we add "Everyday People" by Sly and the Family Stone to your list and still maintain the common denominator?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: