Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-05-17, 11:05 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Whoops, you’re right. Made the switch to five divisions in 1980. Some memory i have.
Old 12-05-17, 11:12 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Attendance was up. Deal with it.
Old 12-06-17, 03:59 AM
All Yappi

gobluetom can only hope to improve
They should be rotated.

If not they should be centrally located at Ohio Stadium.
Old 12-06-17, 06:18 AM
Varsity

stripedwarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Attendance was up. Deal with it.
I have no problem with attendance being up. I wish the crowds were even larger.
My only issue is the people that believe, or suggest, that the reason for this is the location.
I believe that it had much more to do with the schools that were playing, and the weather.
Old 12-06-17, 02:18 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
I think it will be down. Nobody really wants to go to the armpit of Ohio.
Good post, guy
Old 12-06-17, 02:49 PM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
I don't know what the hand-wringing is all about. My understanding is the championships will return to Ohio Stadium, likely in 2020.
Old 12-06-17, 04:21 PM
All World

RedBlack_Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedwarrior View Post
I have no problem with attendance being up. I wish the crowds were even larger.
My only issue is the people that believe, or suggest, that the reason for this is the location.
I believe that it had much more to do with the schools that were playing, and the weather.
I don't see many people saying that attendance was up "because of the location." But, there were a lot of people on this board with a seemingly vested interest in the games not being in Canton who specifically said attendance would be down.

So, pointing out that attendance was actually higher than 2016 is just pointing out that wasn't the case.
Old 12-06-17, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Amazing this keeps you all up at night
Old 12-06-17, 04:43 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
I don't know what the hand-wringing is all about. My understanding is the championships will return to Ohio Stadium, likely in 2020.

Hasn't been decided yet....they have not made a decision where they are going to be next year.
Old 12-06-17, 06:03 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Hasn't been decided yet....they have not made a decision where they are going to be next year.
I haven't seen anyone ask the $64,000 question:

Who wants to host the championships in the future? It's not a ridiculous question.

Remember that when the decision was made to go back to Columbus, Tressel was still at OSU and threw his support behind Columbus' bid. How does OSU with Urban Meyer in the mix feel about the games? I'm sure he expects to be coaching in the B1G title game every year, so more often than not, he'll be in no position to attend even if the games are in his backyard.

I'm sure Canton still wants the games, but the city of Canton isn't really calling the shots anymore. The Pro Football HoF is. Was the HoF happy with what they got out of the past weekend, or would they rather not have to drop everything and host these games while they continue to put the HoF Village together?

Have any of the original players folded their hands?
Old 12-06-17, 06:22 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Remember that when the decision was made to go back to Columbus, Tressel was still at OSU and threw his support behind Columbus' bid.
But did OSU/Cbus have to put much effort into their "bid"?

With Fawcett being demolished to make way for Tom Benson, wasn't Canton entirely out of the question for '14 and '15?

So did Tressel/OSU/Cbus really work to get the games - or did OHSAA plead with the university to provide a location?

I'm admittedly clueless about this, so I truly am wondering. And I wouldn't mind seeing the games back in Columbus.
Old 12-06-17, 06:35 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Move them to Columbus
But at a D-1 High school stadium
8 dollar ticket like W,VA does
Old 12-06-17, 06:39 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
You've answered yourself in two sentences. One, an 'effective bid' is a high bar for a group that's never hosted before.

Two, the payoff for winning that bid diminishes every year. So, why put in the effort to win the right to host the games?

Instead, we're going to be left with the status quo. The two places that have historically hosted the games possibily alternating every few years at best and that's about it.
People in SWO seem to want the games there at least some of the years. I see no reason why they couldn't or shouldn't have them and I'm sure the people of the Cincy area could mount a bid as effective as Canton or Columbus has, if they were of a mind to. Same with Toledo, Cleveland or anywhere. With attendance way down from 1970's levels, I question whether the same day format is even worth bothering with anymore.

I think the games really should be played at appropriate sites halfway between the competing schools and that the same day aspect probably should be done away with. Spread the games across 4 days (Thursday night, Friday, Saturday and even Sunday), people of a mind to, that are willing to do some driving, could see as many as 4 or maybe even more of the games.

Judging on recent attendance I wouldn't think all that many people are trying to watch all 7 games anyway. How many people can it be said went to all or almost all of the games this season, or in seasons past? It looks like (using the reviled "eye test" LOL, on the recent seasons' attendance totals) that the attendance for any given game is primarily driven by the competing teams, not the hard core fan trying to see all or many of the games.

This post is RE: posts # 355 and 356.
Old 12-06-17, 06:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post

With Fawcett being demolished to make way for Tom Benson, wasn't Canton entirely out of the question for '14 and '15?

So did Tressel/OSU/Cbus really work to get the games - or did OHSAA plead with the university to provide a location?

I'm admittedly clueless about this, so I truly am wondering. And I wouldn't mind seeing the games back in Columbus.
I have mentioned this before but part of Columbus going after the games was that the person who worked them for the Stark County Convention Bureau went to work for the Columbus Bureau and helped get them going. I also think he was the driving force behind getting Tressel's support. I would think Tressel would want them but not the person who would go after them...but maybe somebody has better info concerning this.

Slippery, one question, when they made the decision to give the games to Columbus...the Pro Hall Village and Stadium was not even an idea yet? I want to say that the idea happened after the decision and before the final Championship games had been played in Fawcett
Old 12-06-17, 06:57 PM
Junior Varsity

Flying High 9691 is on a distinguished road
Would like to see a statement from the OHSAA on want is being worked on for the future. I think it would help stop some of the posters that say I know this an I know that.
Old 12-06-17, 07:08 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Two points --- the games only returned to Columbus because Tressel thought he could recruit better with it. The down side was the need for staffing and costs. The cost of everything went up because of this and staffing was a problem. Canton had this down pat. Columbus not so much. Urban doesn't care since he is more into national recruiting. He will get Ohio's best no matter what. The problem is does OSUS want to deal with this again or pass it off to a rookie area school(s) where more problems may continue to take away from the games without a significant increase in attendance with " improved" accessibility at a Central location. I believe OHSAA already knows the better attendance and with that , more $$$$$$$$$ is in Canton.

Point 2 --OHSAA burnt some bridges with Canton ( and Massillon). And they know it. Dealing with the NFL and the H of F is no picnic. There will continue to be problems that no longer are in the control of Canton. The PR snafu the OHSAA muffed will haunt them for some time. The people in Canton OHSAA used to deal with are or have moved on. Any more mistakes on OHSAA's part may seriously harm the games and the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ machine.
Old 12-06-17, 07:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post

IIRC, it went like this:

If someone wants to dig through some newspaper archives to correct the timeline of events, be my guest. I'll check on it if and when I can.

As bluestreakoffice alluded to: The Pro Football HoF's big plans (which included demolishing Fawcett and building a new stadium) didn't start being made until well after Columbus was awarded the games. Columbus ended up getting a 3rd year out of the deal due to the new stadium construction in Canton.

The keys to Columbus' bid were the more centralized location, the use of Ohio Stadium, and the notion that some additional sponsorship money (bigger city with more corporate money floating around it) and creative ticket packaging could increase revenue for the OHSAA (ex. the Huntington Club package, selling championship game packages to OSU ticketholders, etc).
Tressel could've all but killed Columbus' bid by saying he wanted nothing to do with the games. OSU would've done whatever Tressel wanted as far as offering up the stadium, so that's why I say he threw his support behind Columbus' bid.

Eventually, the decision was made to take the games to Columbus to host which left the Massillon contingent feeling like they had the rug pulled out from under them, so they'll have nothing to do with the games for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-06-17, 07:26 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
IIRC, it went like this:

If someone wants to dig through some newspaper archives to correct the timeline of events, be my guest. I'll check on it if and when I can.

As bluestreakoffice alluded to: The Pro Football HoF's big plans (which included demolishing Fawcett and building a new stadium) didn't start being made until well after Columbus was awarded the games. Columbus ended up getting a 3rd year out of the deal due to the new stadium construction in Canton.

The keys to Columbus' bid were the more centralized location, the use of Ohio Stadium, and the notion that some additional sponsorship money (bigger city with more corporate money floating around it) and creative ticket packaging could increase revenue for the OHSAA (ex. the Huntington Club package, selling championship game packages to OSU ticketholders, etc).
Tressel could've all but killed Columbus' bid by saying he wanted nothing to do with the games. OSU would've done whatever Tressel wanted as far as offering up the stadium, so that's why I say he threw his support behind Columbus' bid.

Eventually, the decision was made to take the games to Columbus to host which left the Massillon contingent feeling like they had the rug pulled out from under them, so they'll have nothing to do with the games for the foreseeable future.
The announcement to move the games to Columbus was made in January of 2013. https://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...-stadium-along
Old 12-06-17, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have mentioned this before but part of Columbus going after the games was that the person who worked them for the Stark County Convention Bureau went to work for the Columbus Bureau and helped get them going. I also think he was the driving force behind getting Tressel's support. I would think Tressel would want them but not the person who would go after them...but maybe somebody has better info concerning this.

Slippery, one question, when they made the decision to give the games to Columbus...the Pro Hall Village and Stadium was not even an idea yet? I want to say that the idea happened after the decision and before the final Championship games had been played in Fawcett
I'm pretty sure the whole HoF Village idea didn't come around until late 2014 or early 2015. The games were already in C-Bus by then. Columbus got an extra year because the stadium was not going to be ready in 2016.

UPDATE: Here's what I have found. I did not expect to find it quickly:
Sept. 13, 2014 - Report that HoF is exploring plans for the HoF Village, i.e. the idea to knock down Fawcett and start over wasn't in the cards yet. Renovate, yes. Demolish and rebuild, no.
http://www.cantonrep.com/article/201...NEWS/140919619

Jan. 1, 2014 - Report on the proposed plan to make structural improvements to Fawcett Stadium and locate funding for that project.
http://www.cantonrep.com/article/201...NEWS/140119881

As mentioned in the article linked directly above, it is important to note that Columbus had already been awarded the 2014 and 2015 championship games at this time. The actual decision to start demolishing portions of Fawcett Stadium did not come until later.

July 21, 2010 - OHSAA decides to keep the games in Stark County for 2010-2013 (an option had already been picked up for 2010 and 2011, so the decision was really to extend the games in Stark for 2012 and 2013) and then move to Columbus for 2014 and 2015.
http://www.cantonrep.com/x6417575/So...k-through-2013

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 12-06-17 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 07:59 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the whole HoF Village idea didn't come around until late 2014 or early 2015. The games were already in C-Bus by then. Columbus got an extra year because the stadium was not going to be ready in 2016.

UPDATE: Here's what I have found. I did not expect to find it quickly:
Sept. 13, 2014 - Report that HoF is exploring plans for the HoF Village, i.e. the idea to knock down Fawcett and start over wasn't in the cards yet. Renovate, yes. Demolish and rebuild, no.
http://www.cantonrep.com/article/201...NEWS/140919619

Jan. 1, 2014 - Report on the proposed plan to make structural improvements to Fawcett Stadium and locate funding for that project.
http://www.cantonrep.com/article/201...NEWS/140119881

As mentioned in the article linked directly above, it is important to note that Columbus had already been awarded the 2014 and 2015 championship games at this time. The actual decision to start demolishing portions of Fawcett Stadium did not come until later.

July 21, 2010 - OHSAA decides to keep the games in Stark County for 2010-2013 (an option had already been picked up for 2010 and 2011, so the decision was really to extend the games in Stark for 2012 and 2013) and then move to Columbus for 2014 and 2015.
http://www.cantonrep.com/x6417575/So...k-through-2013

That's the way I remembered it. Ohio State didn't get the by default. They got them because OSU suddenly got the idea they wanted them as a quasi-recruitment tool.
Old 12-06-17, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
That's the way I remembered it. Ohio State didn't get the by default. They got them because OSU suddenly got the idea they wanted them as a quasi-recruitment tool.
With regards to the OHSAA's decision to rotate the games between Stark and Columbus for that contract, I believe Oil Filter kept saying the OHSAA "punted." So far, I have been unable to access the football forum threads from that far back.
Old 12-06-17, 08:13 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
With regards to the OHSAA's decision to rotate the games between Stark and Columbus for that contract, I believe Oil Filter kept saying the OHSAA "punted." So far, I have been unable to access the football forum threads from that far back.
Does this help? http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261923
Old 12-06-17, 08:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I appreciate the effort, but no. That one pertains to the Jan. 11 article/editorial I linked in my previous post. All that thread does is refresh our collective memory as to why Stark County threads disintegrate so quickly.

I was looking for the threads pertaining to the OHSAA's 2010 decision to award the games to both Stark County and Columbus. This site will only take me as far back as 2012.
Old 12-06-17, 08:37 PM
All American

Quote:
I appreciate the effort, but no. That one pertains to the Jan. 11 article/editorial I linked in my previous post. All that thread does is refresh our collective memory as to why Stark County threads disintegrate so quickly.

I was looking for the threads pertaining to the OHSAA's 2010 decision to award the games to both Stark County and Columbus. This site will only take me as far back as 2012.
Mr Slippery! Like always a wealth of info that is accurate! Much appreciated!
Old 12-06-17, 08:46 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
They did punt. The problem is, these hosting decisions aren't usually seen as 'individual bids'. A site puts in because they think they're going to get a long run of hosting. Very few states do frequent rotation, and the three main instances are because of host rivalries.

Alabama rotates annually between Tuscaloosa and Auburn (the school that doesn't host the Iron Bowl hosts the Super 7), and Mississippi rotates between Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Illinois rotates now between Illinois and Northern Illinois because the new Big Ten schedule put another league game the weekend of Thanksgiving. Which means every other year, Illinois can't host. Which is why Northern Illinois was brought in.

Other than that, hosts tend to stick around for quite a while
Old 12-06-17, 09:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Mr Slippery! Like always a wealth of info that is accurate! Much appreciated!
You're not so bad yourself.
Old 12-06-17, 10:49 PM
All Yappi

Now that we've cleared up a few background details from the previous round of bidding, I'll ask the question again:

Do we know if any of the main parties previously responsible for hosting the championships (i.e. OSU and The Pro Football HoF), still want to host the games?
Old 12-07-17, 12:48 AM
All District

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Today I had to go to the athletic office of the school my kids attend to pay some fees. The AD at that school is on one of the OHSAA committees. I got to talking about with him about a bunch things. (one of which is a high school shot clock). He said everything went well during the championship weekend. The attendance was great and attributed most of that to the schools participating and the unbelievable weather. The best weather he can ever remember. However, he said the weekend was very long but he can see them having the tournament back in at the HOF. HOWEVER, he said that OSU is pushing really hard to host the football championships on an ongoing basis. They think they can leverage the package of the other state championship events that they already host to sweeten the deal. He said Cincinnati's bid a few years ago was way, way too expensive and that the facilities down there will not commit far enough in advance. Look for the championship to move back to Columbus very soon.
Old 12-07-17, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Today I had to go to the athletic office of the school my kids attend to pay some fees. The AD at that school is on one of the OHSAA committees. I got to talking about with him about a bunch things. (one of which is a high school shot clock). He said everything went well during the championship weekend. The attendance was great and attributed most of that to the schools participating and the unbelievable weather. The best weather he can ever remember. However, he said the weekend was very long but he can see them having the tournament back in at the HOF. HOWEVER, he said that OSU is pushing really hard to host the football championships on an ongoing basis. They think they can leverage the package of the other state championship events that they already host to sweeten the deal. He said Cincinnati's bid a few years ago was way, way too expensive and that the facilities down there will not commit far enough in advance. Look for the championship to move back to Columbus very soon.
The HoF could try to counter that if they can convince the Canton City Schools to throw the Branin Natatorium into its bid as leverage.
Old 12-07-17, 05:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Now that we've cleared up a few background details from the previous round of bidding, I'll ask the question again:

Do we know if any of the main parties previously responsible for hosting the championships (i.e. OSU and The Pro Football HoF), still want to host the games?
Mr. Slippery...they both want the games. They may not be the draw they once were but you have two large stadiums that have to be utilized. Ohio State is not in need of the games like the HOF. They make money off their stadium, one game pays for Urban and his salary. Also since tax money pays the freight for the stadium and a history of working with the OHSAA they have the flexibility to make themselves available at a loss. The HOF has to eventually show that the money for this interesting trip Canton is on.....is worth it. They are trying to establish the Stadium as a place for events like concerts...and weddings....yes you read that correctly. The HOF may have the snob attitude of the NFL right now but they aren't the only game in town. They need it more then Ohio State.