Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-07-17, 07:56 AM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
If he went to "tons of camps and nobody even flinched" over the summer I would say its probably going to be tough to get a full ride now. 90% of recruiting today happens at camps, film is important but camps a key. If he went to these camps and came away with nothing that is telling. Something may come from the Elon visit but I am guessing that all the interest now will lead to preferred walk on offers. Coaches like to get people in that they can use, if they prove to be good then they will maybe earn a scholarship down the road. If not, no skin off the coaches teeth. Its a high risk option for the athlete. Maybe he should of held onto the UVA commitment until he knew for sure football was going to pan out. Wrestling regular signing day is in april I believe, after footballs. 25% is better than 0% after all.
Maybe the kid is not just looking at this based on finances. Maybe he just likes football better and now that his opportunities have opened up, he has decided to pursue that sport. The "right" decision is the one he makes.
Old 12-07-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
UH wrong, I would argue the pros miss on very few players in the draft. Uh for every 1 kid who is missed, 75 kids are spot on. Uh to much money is involved. Uh sounds good that pro teams overlook players, simply not true.
Hoser I probably wasn't being clear but I'm not criticizing the pros because I agree that they do get it right most of the time. I was taking a shot at College recruiting which I think is a lot less competent then people would like to believe - especially with the position of QB which has so many intangible elements contributing to overall success. I also think the college guys way overestimate the value of their "camps" which IMO are a glorified form of revenue generating touch football. Sure they are useful but like everything that has SOME use coaches overvalue them and become over dependent on them.
Old 12-07-17, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Coaches in one sport really don't care if you are getting recruited for other sports. In fact it should make you more desirable as an athlete, unless of course you are telling those coaches that you aren't interested in their sport as a college option.
I think they care if you have committed in another sport though. Which he apparently did. I don't know when he committed though. And maybe his intent was for wrestling to be his fall back while he continued to pursue football.
Old 12-07-17, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Hoser I probably wasn't being clear but I'm not criticizing the pros because I agree that they do get it right most of the time. I was taking a shot at College recruiting which I think is a lot less competent then people would like to believe - especially with the position of QB which has so many intangible elements contributing to overall success. I also think the college guys way overestimate the value of their "camps" which IMO are a glorified form of revenue generating touch football. Sure they are useful but like everything that has SOME use coaches overvalue them and become over dependent on them.
Dude - you can't reason with the hose-boy.
Old 12-07-17, 10:22 AM
All Region

wads1107 is on a distinguished road
Let's just say Virginia's offer was very generous and far exceeds anything that has been speculated on this thread. UVA is a great school with outstanding academics and the coaching staff is 1st class. Decommitting was the toughest decision Joey has made in his adult life.
You can debate all you want if he is a better wrestler or a better football player, it really doesn't matter. He is going with his heart and his heart says football.

I am confident that Joey will get a great education and will be successful at whatever school he decides to attend. He is in good hands. His coaches (both football & wrestling) and his parents are helping him with that decisions for all the right reasons.

Appreciate the debate, but move on.
Old 12-07-17, 10:32 AM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
so how much did they offer?
Old 12-07-17, 10:49 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Indio View Post
so how much did they offer?
No one can say for sure. That being said, most D1 schools have 32 roster spots and are only allowed to give a maximum of 9.9 full scholarships.
Old 12-07-17, 11:23 AM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Pretty silly discussion. Trying to determine the financial implications of his decision. Like anybody on the board knows what was offered, what will be offered, or even if finances are a critical part of his decision. It will be cool to see where he does and follow him the next 4-5 years.
Old 12-07-17, 11:41 AM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Like any school that doesn't give full schollies for minor sports, UVA or any school takes into account how much a family can afford based on financial docs which means part of costs are covered with grants. Add in a partial, up to half schollie and most costs are covered, but not all. I see a lot of kids who go D-3or D-2 and with their need based grant and half schollie or merit based ( read FB schollie type) grant, have all their costs covered. Depends on family income.
Old 12-07-17, 05:24 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wads1107 View Post
Let's just say Virginia's offer was very generous and far exceeds anything that has been speculated on this thread. UVA is a great school with outstanding academics and the coaching staff is 1st class. Decommitting was the toughest decision Joey has made in his adult life.
You can debate all you want if he is a better wrestler or a better football player, it really doesn't matter. He is going with his heart and his heart says football.

I am confident that Joey will get a great education and will be successful at whatever school he decides to attend. He is in good hands. His coaches (both football & wrestling) and his parents are helping him with that decisions for all the right reasons.

Appreciate the debate, but move on.
Sorry, it's 7 months until new season. He's fair game at least until the next young man makes a "tragic" decision.
Old 12-08-17, 12:53 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
UVA is also insanely expensive. As someone else in here already said, wrestling rarely (if ever?) gets full rides. Most get 20%-50%. At a school like UVA, even with 50% scholarship, you're paying upwards of $15k-$20k a year on out of state tuition + room + board. That doesn't even get into books, supplies, personal. Sure, you're graduating with a degree that says UVA on it. But you're also graduating with $50k+ debt after 4 years.
He'd make plenty of money with a UVA degree to pay back that debt. I'd certainly go to UVA on a partial wrestling scholarship over a full ride football scholarship for anything less than a Power 5 conference school, or an Ivy League football program.

(Yes, I know the Ivy League schools do not give out "athletic scholarships." However, I'm guessing a kid magically gets "extra consideration" from the financial aid office for his family's "need," if he just so happens to be a hot shot QB.)
Old 12-08-17, 01:07 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Like any school that doesn't give full schollies for minor sports, UVA or any school takes into account how much a family can afford based on financial docs which means part of costs are covered with grants. Add in a partial, up to half schollie and most costs are covered, but not all. I see a lot of kids who go D-3or D-2 and with their need based grant and half schollie or merit based ( read FB schollie type) grant, have all their costs covered. Depends on family income.
Some schools give full schollys for minor sports. They can dole out the 9.9, 15 or whatever full rides they have any way they want. If its an elite athlete they may offer a full ride.
Old 12-08-17, 02:50 PM
All District

wrestlingdad3 is on a distinguished road
No they cannot. They have a set number of scholarships set forth by the NCAA. This is to ensure a level playing field.
Old 12-08-17, 02:57 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
I hope Baughman has a great college career. All these so-called scouts totally missed him and now these schools are turning to high school sports reporters on who they should be signing.

Once and for all this proves that scouts are NOT guaranteed to find you if you are talented enough. You need to do something big to be found. Scouting and recruiting are a roll of the dice and they make more mistakes than they get it right.
Old 12-08-17, 05:19 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
No one can say for sure. That being said, most D1 schools have 32 roster spots and are only allowed to give a maximum of 9.9 full scholarships.
On top of that, some programs are not fully funded, so they have even less scholarship money to distribute.
Old 12-08-17, 05:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingdad3 View Post
No they cannot. They have a set number of scholarships set forth by the NCAA. This is to ensure a level playing field.
I think what he is saying is if a school wants they can use one of their full scholarships on a single athlete leaving the rest of the scholarships to be basically divided up by the rest of the team. So if the max is 9.9, they can give 1 to John doe and the remaining 8.9 goes to the other 31 athletes.

At least that is how I took it.
Old 12-08-17, 05:46 PM
All District

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
I hope Baughman has a great college career. All these so-called scouts totally missed him and now these schools are turning to high school sports reporters on who they should be signing.

Once and for all this proves that scouts are NOT guaranteed to find you if you are talented enough. You need to do something big to be found. Scouting and recruiting are a roll of the dice and they make more mistakes than they get it right.
There are no "scouts" that have anything to do with college recruiting. Players go to college camps in front of college coaches and that is where a majority of recruiting happens today. The "combines" like Nike and those like them are garbage and coaches couldn't care less about them for the most part. Same goes for reporters, college coaches don't care about headlines either. Its nice to have stats and all-county this and all-state that but it honestly doesn't matter to these coaches. They just want to know about growth potential, speed, quickness, attitude and other things like that.
Old 12-08-17, 07:40 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingdad3 View Post
Yes they can if they have 10 to give they can give 40 wrestlers a 25% scholly if they want. I know this first hand . I have a daughter with a full for D1 womans soccer.
Old 12-08-17, 07:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I think what he is saying is if a school wants they can use one of their full scholarships on a single athlete leaving the rest of the scholarships to be basically divided up by the rest of the team. So if the max is 9.9, they can give 1 to John doe and the remaining 8.9 goes to the other 31 athletes.

At least that is how I took it.
Exactly Winbypin. Saw your post after I responded above.
Old 12-08-17, 07:44 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Now the question is does he ever wrestle again? Not entered in the Ironman. College coaches are a plenty at this event.
Old 12-11-17, 01:46 PM
All District

wrestlingdad3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
Yes they can if they have 10 to give they can give 40 wrestlers a 25% scholly if they want. I know this first hand . I have a daughter with a full for D1 womans soccer.
We already knew that fine sir. In the last few years there is a newly established minimum that the scholarship can be divided into but you are missing the entire argument. Football scholarships cannot be divided. Baseball and wrestling I know for a fact are. Other sports I am not sure.

This fact that football scholarships are full rides may be the reason Joey is switching to football. That is just a guess but either way he is an awesome athlete and deserves whatever money he receives from whatever school.
Old 12-11-17, 02:36 PM
All District

pm12100 is on a distinguished road
WrestlingDad -- Division 1 FBS scholarships are full rides. It's a different story when you get into Division 1 FCS and Division 2 scholarships. FCS and Division 2 offer a lesser number of scholarships than FBS and can be partial scholarships.
Old 12-11-17, 03:57 PM
Freshman

DevilDude
Ivy League

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
He'd make plenty of money with a UVA degree to pay back that debt. I'd certainly go to UVA on a partial wrestling scholarship over a full ride football scholarship for anything less than a Power 5 conference school, or an Ivy League football program.

(Yes, I know the Ivy League schools do not give out "athletic scholarships." However, I'm guessing a kid magically gets "extra consideration" from the financial aid office for his family's "need," if he just so happens to be a hot shot QB.)
From my experience with Ivy League footballer, it helps you get into the school but it makes no difference to the financial aid people. It is formula driven based on income and assets. Some Ivies have more aid to give than others. Harvard has more than all the others if you can get in.
Old 12-11-17, 06:06 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Now the question is does he ever wrestle again? Not entered in the Ironman. College coaches are a plenty at this event.
Joey will be wrestling this coming week. They just wanted to take it slowly coming off of football. None of the kids that played on Wadsworth's football team have wrestled the first two weeks.
Old 12-12-17, 09:23 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
From my experience with Ivy League footballer, it helps you get into the school but it makes no difference to the financial aid people. It is formula driven based on income and assets. Some Ivies have more aid to give than others. Harvard has more than all the others if you can get in.
If he goes to Brown, it looks like he can get out of there with no student loans.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/25/brow...ent-loans.html
Old 12-12-17, 10:55 AM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
Just remember that this Qb plays in the most recruited area in Ohio, so its fair to say that he has gotten a fair look from every d-1 school in Ohio and Youngstown State. I have not watch any film on this boy, but comparing his situation to Big Ben or Wentz is not accurate. Wentz is from ND and Big Ben didnt play Qb until Senior year and recruiting was much different in the late 90's. So what I am saying its been a month since his last game and every d-1 school in the Eastern part of the United States has been to Cleveland/Akron/Canton Area. Official visits have been scheduled since early fall and offers/visits are in full motion right now.
Old 12-12-17, 04:26 PM
Freshman

DevilDude
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
If he goes to Brown, it looks like he can get out of there with no student loans.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/25/brow...ent-loans.html
12 years to late.