Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-06-17, 01:41 PM
All District

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
Doubt Cambridge would be interested in traveling 1 1/2 hours to Logan and Athens for anything on a consistent basis. There has been talk for years about Dover, New Phila, Zville, and Marietta leaving the ECOL because of the 1 1/2 hour travel from Dover/NP to Mareitta. Marietta is on an island regarding ECOL and they should have never left their previous league.

Marietta has almost always been on an island.
Back in the 70's and early 80's they were part of the old Central Ohio League with Newark,Upper Arlington,Grove City,Lancaster etc.Talk about travel time !
I think they were one of the few if not the only big division school in Southeast Ohio back in those days.
Old 12-06-17, 02:18 PM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Alum View Post
Back in the 70's and early 80's they were part of the old Central Ohio League with Newark,Upper Arlington,Grove City,Lancaster etc.Talk about travel time !
I think they were one of the few if not the only big division school in Southeast Ohio back in those days.
that's crazy..but like you said, being the largest in the area is tough. I like them in ECOL..of course all teams are good for us since our travel is about the same for all opponents except Meadowbrook.
Old 12-06-17, 04:04 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Doubt Cambridge would be interested in traveling 1 1/2 hours to Logan and Athens for anything on a consistent basis. There has been talk for years about Dover, New Phila, Zville, and Marietta leaving the ECOL because of the 1 1/2 hour travel from Dover/NP to Mareitta. Marietta is on an island regarding ECOL and they should have never left their previous league.
Marietta is basically screwed but they are in no mans land. Warren will likely get in the TVC with Athens.
Old 12-06-17, 04:09 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
He says Lancaster won a co-championship in football within the past 5 years... they did??? How’d I miss that?

On one hand this seems like tuck tail and run. On the other hand Lancaster, Newark, Zanesville, and Mt Vernon are similar communities and would fit well together. Heck Logan, Athens, and Marietta (maybe Cambridge) would fit too... but that would cause some long trips.

The original conference discussed above would be very weak in football. Lancaster or Reynoldsburg would win every year and probably qualify for the playoffs where they’d get smoked because they weren’t prepared to play D1 opponents after a weak conference schedule. But....it would be a really good basketball conference.
Sounds like Mt. Vernon is staying put. I'd be a bit surprised if Reynoldsburg left, only because of the close athletic ties to Pickerington and Gahanna.

I could definitely see Lancaster, Newark, Logan, Groveport, Canal Winchester and Teays Valley work a deal out. Zanesville would be iffy... There is history with Newark and Lancaster, but it is smallish and a bit remote. The league would be a bit small at 6, so they'd probably want to pick up a couple of more schools, if possible.
Old 12-06-17, 10:16 PM
Freshman

gcfqn is on a distinguished road
I don't see Reynoldsburg leaving. Their boys and girls basketball teams are top notch and their football has gotten a lot better. Lancaster, Newark, Logan, Groveport, Canal Winchester, Newark, Zanesville, and Tri Valley to make 8 teams.
Old 12-06-17, 10:18 PM
Freshman

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcons86 View Post
I had liked this arrangement, but looks like the OCC could split up....

OCC needs to make sure Davidson and Coffman are always in the same division. I'd say the same for Scioto-Kilbourne, Darby-Bradley and a few others. When Olentangy Berlin opens in 2018, I'd like to see this alignment.

Buckeye
Delaware Hayes
Olentangy
Olentangy Berlin
Olentangy Liberty
Olentangy Orange
Westerville Central
Westerville North
Westerville South

Central
Dublin Coffman
Dublin Jerome (enrollment growing)
Hilliard Bradley
Hilliard Darby
Hilliard Davidson
Marysville
Thomas Worthington
Upper Arlington

Ohio
Central Crossing (put in with Grove City)
Gahanna
Grove City
Lancaster
New Albany (enrollment growing, too strong for Capital Division)
Pickerington Central
Pickerington North
Reynoldsburg

Capital
Big Walnut
Canal Winchester
Dublin Scioto (one of the smaller OCC schools, pair them w/ Kilbourne)
Franklin Heights
Groveport
Newark
Westland
Worthington Kilbourne (one of smaller OCC schools, pair them w/ Scioto)
I actually like your alignments.
Old 12-07-17, 09:09 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Marietta is basically screwed but they are in no mans land. Warren will likely get in the TVC with Athens.
Warren has been trying to get in ECOL for years..just not going to happen, though they did join OVAC for some reason. I would guess Marietta would be looking at TVC too but travel would probably be worse than ECOL for them..at least ECOL is all interstate travel for them.
Old 12-07-17, 09:19 AM
Freshman

Broadcaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Warren has been trying to get in ECOL for years..just not going to happen, though they did join OVAC for some reason. I would guess Marietta would be looking at TVC too but travel would probably be worse than ECOL for them..at least ECOL is all interstate travel for them.

Marietta would be better off being an Independent at this point. Schob has a nice thing going on down there building a program. Getting out of the ECOL might allow him to get a few more wins on the schedule and allow the program to continue to build. It would also allow them to play schools closer to their size and continue to keep the WV schools they play.
Old 12-07-17, 10:15 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcaster View Post
Marietta would be better off being an Independent at this point. Schob has a nice thing going on down there building a program. Getting out of the ECOL might allow him to get a few more wins on the schedule and allow the program to continue to build. It would also allow them to play schools closer to their size and continue to keep the WV schools they play.
Size isn't an issue as they are close to others and they have 5 non-league games every year..though I agree getting out would allow them to possibly get some more wins. They will also be dropping to ECOL Gray Division in two years so they will play the smaller schools.

Cambridge - 234
Coshocton - 170
Dover - 376
Marietta - 344
New Phila - 359
Meadowbrook - 210
River View - 260
Zanesville - 341
Old 12-07-17, 12:12 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfqn View Post
I don't see Reynoldsburg leaving. Their boys and girls basketball teams are top notch and their football has gotten a lot better. Lancaster, Newark, Logan, Groveport, Canal Winchester, Newark, Zanesville, and Tri Valley to make 8 teams.
Actually Licking Heights would make a lost of sense for this proposed league. That school is located in a high growth area.
Old 12-07-17, 03:11 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfqn View Post
Actually Licking Heights would make a lost of sense for this proposed league. That school is located in a high growth area.
I like putting Licking Heights in the mix.

Something like this...

Canal Winchester
Lancaster
Newark
Groveport
Teays Valley
Logan
Licking Heights
Watkins Memorial
Old 12-07-17, 03:33 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Marietta won't get in the TVC because it will be like adding Athens again. Warren will get in since their enrollment is about to fall off a cliff and they have one of the worst football program in Ohio.
Old 12-08-17, 12:42 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Ironically, I'd say Lancaster has one of the weaker cases for leaving the OCC. They have 1,770 students in grades 9-12, which is still pretty sizable. They also seem to have decent facilities.

I see the article states one of the reasons for Lancaster possibly leaving the OCC is that Lancaster has a higher percentage of kids on free and reduced lunches than the other schools in the OCC Ohio. OK, but that really only should affect the "country club sports," like golf & tennis, IMO. Let's be honest, no one cares if the golf & tennis teams don't win any conference championships, unless you're in Dublin or Upper Arlington.

There are plenty of schools out there that have been highly successful in football and/or basketball with a large number of free or reduced lunch kids.
Old 12-08-17, 12:55 PM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Reduced free lunch is just an excuse...this is about Lancaster deciding they can no longer compete with Pickeringtons in football & hoops.

If OCC realigns and puts them in with Groveport, Newark, Canal, etc they’d be happy.

That said, I do think that there is a difference between being a suburban school (e.g., Pickerington, Dublin, Hilliard, Westerville, etc) vs being a medium sized town like Lancaster, Newark, Mt Vernon, Delaware, Zanesville, etc. I could see why they would want to be in a conference with others like them. However, Canal, R-burg, and Groveport don’t fit in that mix.
Old 12-08-17, 02:32 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Reduced free lunch is just an excuse...this is about Lancaster deciding they can no longer compete with Pickeringtons in football & hoops.

If OCC realigns and puts them in with Groveport, Newark, Canal, etc theyíd be happy.

That said, I do think that there is a difference between being a suburban school (e.g., Pickerington, Dublin, Hilliard, Westerville, etc) vs being a medium sized town like Lancaster, Newark, Mt Vernon, Delaware, Zanesville, etc. I could see why they would want to be in a conference with others like them. However, Canal, R-burg, and Groveport donít fit in that mix.

Lancaster doesnít really have an issue competing in football in my opinion. They have a better record against Pickerington Central than any other team in the conference and although havenít won a title in 8 years they usually finish in the top 3. And letís be honest unless your Central you havenít won a title in football in a long time. Basketball on the other hand has been horrible at Lancaster for the last decade.

Lack of basketball athletes and access to good AAU programs is where this hurts Lancaster. Every other sport Lancaster seems to compete pretty well. I would say wrestling is one of the top programs in Central Ohio. Swimming does well. Track an cross country are highly competitive. Baseball is average but has some years better than others.

I think the ecomics of many families in Lancaster isnít an excuse as much as it is just pointing out those families canít afford the extras that many kids in these other districts can afford like specialty coaching in the off season, camps, highly competitive travel teams and things like that. 20+ years ago those things werenít as common and Lancaster was much more competitive in all sports but the more prominent AAU has become the more Lancaster has started to fall behind on certain areas. I blame ourselves for not developing those AAU and travel teams at the youth level sooner and now trying to play catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-17, 02:34 PM
All District

https://www.whiznews.com/2017/12/zan...ic-conference/
Old 12-08-17, 07:13 PM
All Region

Check out this article from Lancaster Eagle-Gazette:

Proposed new athletic league has Newark's attention

http://ohne.ws/2BWOiyn

Old 12-08-17, 10:04 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Now, I totally get why Zanesville wants in on this. At only 990 students in grades 9-12, and a city that isn't growing, being in the OCC is a non-starter.

However, they're probably too big for the MVL, LCL, and ECOL. So, this proposed league makes a lot of sense for the Blue Devils.
Old 12-08-17, 10:11 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan97 View Post
Check out this article from Lancaster Eagle-Gazette:

Proposed new athletic league has Newark's attention

http://ohne.ws/2BWOiyn
It is interesting that Logan is portrayed as the "ring leader" of this deal in this article.

Anyway, Newark seems to be getting a pretty good deal from the OCC in that they and Groveport are two of the larger schools in the OCC, but they've been put into a division with smaller schools. Basically, it's the deal that Lancaster wants.

Why would they leave something like that for something that may not even last very long? Sounds very risky.
Old 12-08-17, 10:14 PM
All Region

Shake up to the OCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
It is interesting that Logan is portrayed as the "ring leader" of this deal in this article.

Anyway, Newark seems to be getting a pretty good deal from the OCC in that they and Groveport are two of the larger schools in the OCC, but they've been put into a division with smaller schools. Basically, it's the deal that Lancaster wants.

Why would they leave something like that for something that may not even last very long? Sounds very risky.

Logan is the ring leader in one of the scenarios. They are an independent desperate to find a conference and have been turned down by a few.

There is a scenario Iíve been told by a very good source that includes Lancaster and 5 other OCC schools leaving to form a new conference if the OCC doesnít give them a favorable spot in the next realignment

Last edited by sportfan97; 12-08-17 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 10:30 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
There is a scenario Iíve been told by a very good source that includes Lancaster and 5 other OCC schools leaving to form a new conference if the OCC does give them a favorable spot in the next realignment
Lancaster, Newark, Groveport, Reynoldsburg, Canal Winchester, and either Big Walnut or New Albany?
Old 12-08-17, 10:32 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
Lancaster, Newark, Groveport, Reynoldsburg, Canal Winchester, and either Big Walnut or New Albany?

I can neither confirm or deny

Old 12-08-17, 10:48 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
I can neither confirm or deny
The first five are relatively easy to guess; it's that sixth school that could have several possibilities, even another surprise like Gahanna. However, Gahanna leaving the OCC would be an even bigger shock than Reynoldsburg.
Old 12-09-17, 08:26 AM
Freshman

lancaster90 is on a distinguished road
We should know more soon as the OCC realignment commitee meets again this coming week. We should know sometime after whether change is coming. There are a lot of people that i have talked to that think teams leaving the OCC is going to happen. No matter what happens lets hope it is for the best for all schools involved.
Old 12-09-17, 10:32 AM
All District

algernonsidney is on a distinguished road
Hasn't there been talk of Reynoldsburg opening a second high school?
Old 12-09-17, 10:37 AM
All District

algernonsidney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Alum View Post
Marietta was part of the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League, which was founded in 1925. It included Vincent Warren, Jackson, Athens, Gallipolis Gallia Academy, Logan, and others. It was a very logical conference, and its demise was quite unfortunate.
Old 12-09-17, 02:59 PM
Freshman

Smile

Why would Gahanna want to leave? They are probably the only school that can compete with the Pickeringtons' across the board in all sports. I imagine they are the largest school in the OCC.
Old 12-09-17, 03:14 PM
Freshman

Today's Zanesville paper has an article that basically repeated the list of interested schools in a new league; Zanesville, CW, Groveport, Lancaster, Logan, Reynoldsburg and Teays Valley. Newark and Watkins are listed as potentials.
Old 12-09-17, 07:37 PM
All Region

teach1coach2 is on a distinguished road
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...ies/935928001/
Old 12-09-17, 10:39 PM
Freshman

Teach is the MVL looking to Cambridge, Meadowbrook, or elsewhere? They haven't had much change in the last 30 years except with Riverview in and out.