Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-04-17, 12:49 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Monroe Hornets Opening

On Friday Bill Leach stepped down as Monroe coach. He was 18-33 with one playoff appearance in 5 years. Leach failed to build upon 2 solid seasons in 2014 & 2015 and Monroe went 3-7 and 1-9 in his final 2 seasons.

Where does Monroe go from here? This position should get some interest, good school district close to Cincy and Dayton.

Will they open a position within the school for the potential coach? This should be a must. This is one thing Leach had no control over, and it effected the program big time.

Ultimately Monroe needs someone who will breath some life in the program. A complete overhaul I think is what is needed, so I am against hiring from within the current staff. Hopefully Monroe can make the right decision and Monroe can return to being competitive.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-17, 01:05 PM
Varsity

Monroe17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 29 View Post
On Friday Bill Leach stepped down as Monroe coach. He was 18-33 with one playoff appearance in 5 years. Leach failed to build upon 2 solid seasons in 2014 & 2015 and Monroe went 3-7 and 1-9 in his final 2 seasons.

Where does Monroe go from here? This position should get some interest, good school district close to Cincy and Dayton.

Will they open a position within the school for the potential coach? This should be a must. This is one thing Leach had no control over, and it effected the program big time.

Ultimately Monroe needs someone who will breath some life in the program. A complete overhaul I think is what is needed, so I am against hiring from within the current staff. Hopefully Monroe can make the right decision and Monroe can return to being competitive.
Agreed bro. A different offense like the wing T would be very exciting to see. The spread option hasn't gotten us no where the last 7 years. Monroe has no reliable receivers so the ground game is a must if our Oline can block. You will see some alumni apply hence(a dream come true Snively arrives) Not sure if he will his son is a sophomore at Fairfield I think. I think there will be a wide range of applicants from in between the Miami Valley. A lot of good coaches in SW Ohio would love to have this job.
Old 12-04-17, 01:32 PM
Varsity

WngTLvr is on a distinguished road
I'm sure there are some good ones out there. Is there anyone from some opposing schools (not just in conference guys) that could step in there and get things going? Has to be some OC's or DC's out there that are interested? Maybe someone with play-off experience and can get an offense going... I think they can get the spread going with someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 12-04-17, 01:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe17 View Post
Agreed bro. A different offense like the wing T would be very exciting to see. The spread option hasn't gotten us no where the last 7 years. Monroe has no reliable receivers so the ground game is a must if our Oline can block. You will see some alumni apply hence(a dream come true Snively arrives) Not sure if he will his son is a sophomore at Fairfield I think. I think there will be a wide range of applicants from in between the Miami Valley. A lot of good coaches in SW Ohio would love to have this job.
Snively would be an upgrade for sure, just not sure he would completely overhaul the program. Joe Ward is a pipe dream but you never know. Not sure how Barak Faulk would do, he has been a solid coordinator at Mason but has no head coaching experience. Outside of those 3 who could it be?
Old 12-04-17, 04:10 PM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
From outside the SWBL I think this job is going to be very enticing for coaches around the state not just SWO. I would anticipate a lot of interest. It is possible this job has more applicants than Lebanon. Conference competing ability has a lot to do with it. Prime spot between Cincinnati and Dayton. Interstate access. Housing developments. Some business. Great facilities.

From inside the SWBL I could only see Carlisle's Mike Brown being a good fit. Poff is not leaving Madison and I dont' see any other coach in conference being a fit who has Head Coaching experience. Any other SWBL coaches?
Old 12-04-17, 07:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WngTLvr View Post
I'm sure there are some good ones out there. Is there anyone from some opposing schools (not just in conference guys) that could step in there and get things going? Has to be some OC's or DC's out there that are interested? Maybe someone with play-off experience and can get an offense going... I think they can get the spread going with someone that knows what they are doing.
I could see Edgewood’s OC Matt Root being a good fit. I’m not sure if he would even apply, he is fiercely loyal to Edgewood. However he did step down from coaching baseball for the emphasis to be on football. That tells me he is maybe think advancement. There could be nothing to it, but Monroe is a good launching pad for up and coming coaches.

Monroe needs to be realistic in understanding it is a stepping stone job for most coaches. Most young aspiring coaches want to coach D1 at some point and Monroe can be on that route. I would think a lot of assistants at established programs that are wanting a chance to take over a program.
Old 12-04-17, 07:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
From inside the SWBL I could only see Carlisle's Mike Brown being a good fit. Poff is not leaving Madison and I dont' see any other coach in conference being a fit who has Head Coaching experience. Any other SWBL coaches?
Not sure Brown would leave Carlisle. Carlisle is getting a new school and field. Monroe has struggled with numbers and it seems like Brown has at Carlisle despite having success. Doesn’t look like a good look to me.
Old 12-04-17, 10:04 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Alot of schools are having numbers issues. Participation is being effected by the whole concussion issue. Milton is also looking for a new head coach after Mark Lane stepped down.
Old 12-04-17, 10:50 PM
Varsity

Could Preble Shawnee's Matt Hopkins be a good candidate? Sure has built PS into a decent program. Don't think he would apply since he has a good thing going but stranger things have happened.
Old 12-05-17, 07:52 AM
All District

thebig1 is on a distinguished road
I don't see this job going to anyone besides Faulk, Snively, or Osterman. The community wants someone that has a passion for Monroe Football, not another outsider. Ward could also be a candidate just not sure if it is realistic with his current position. The wing T would not be successful in Monroe and may be the most boring offense to watch unless you have a ton of size or are playing northridge, dixie, national trail etc. night in and night out and can spring big play after big play.
A defensive minded coach would be my pick since we gave up an average of 34 points per game this season. Seemed like the offense was always backed up and put in bad positions.
Old 12-05-17, 08:07 AM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not sure Brown would leave Carlisle. Carlisle is getting a new school and field. Monroe has struggled with numbers and it seems like Brown has at Carlisle despite having success. Doesn’t look like a good look to me.
Not getting a new field from my understanding only thing new will be the school and what goes inside the school.
Old 12-05-17, 08:29 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig1 View Post
The wing T would not be successful in Monroe and may be the most boring offense to watch unless you have a ton of size or are playing northridge, dixie, national trail etc. night in and night out and can spring big play after big play.
Maybe this is the problem with Monroe. The wing t offense is boring therefore you do not want it. Mason, Bellbrook, Tippecanoe, Miamisburg, Miami East, Madison, Pickerington Central/Alter/Massie even run parts of it at times.They would all probably tell you they will trade a boring offense to win every day. Size makes the wing t more effective, it is not a requirement. Especially as the modern spread offense is wing t in base schemes with some new twists. See Auburn. Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma (INSERT ANY TEAM IN SPREAD NOT CONSIDERED AIR RAID) running Bucksweep, Belly, and Down every Saturday.

The point here is not to stump for a particular offense, the point is that Monroe needs to hire the best coach, who will win and do the right things for kids on and off the field, regardless of offense.
Old 12-05-17, 09:22 AM
Varsity

What about the OC at NR? He has been there for like 4 or so years and seems to do a good job week in and out. Maybe it's time for him to branch out and run a program?
Old 12-05-17, 10:07 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WngTLvr View Post
What about the OC at NR? He has been there for like 4 or so years and seems to do a good job week in and out. Maybe it's time for him to branch out and run a program?
Would be an interesting scenario. NRs offense is pretty explosive. I think he would be a good coach to evaluate the personnel we have a orchestrate a good offensive game plan that suits what we've got.
Old 12-05-17, 10:19 AM
All Ohio

What kind of offense doesn't matter to me. I appreciate really any offense as long as it's run well. Monroe needs someone who establishes belief in a system, whether thats the wing-t, triple option, spread, pro, single wing, double wing, pole cat. One thing I have noticed over the last 7 years is lack of belief in a system.

Ward is my top choice. Whether the school allows him to be a head coach is the question. I think you also have to question if he really wants to coach as well.

Faulk and Snively would be upgrades in my opinion and I believe they would bring physicality back to Monroe Football.

For me the coach doesn't have to have Monroe ties. If there is someone from the outside who is more qualified and wants to coach the Hornets then it should be a no-brainer to hire that person. Having a love for Monroe is a plus but it shouldn't be a requirement either.
Old 12-05-17, 10:48 AM
All Region

Exit 29 you are a voice of reason.
Old 12-05-17, 10:50 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Exit 29 you are a voice of reason.
Chad Murphy? Don't think he would apply but you never know.
Old 12-05-17, 11:09 AM
All District

thebig1 is on a distinguished road
No debate about it...they will hire a monroe guy. They made the mistake of not hiring one last time and you see what happened. There is a huge disconnect between the community and the football program. "Qualifications" are far less superior when hiring a high school football coach as oppose to someone who has passion/connection with the community, can bring energy, and get the kids to buy in. Monroe doesn't have a talent issue right now, Monroe has a "want to" issue.
Old 12-05-17, 11:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Chad Murphy? Don't think he would apply but you never know.
This would be interesting. Hamilton is a tough job to succeed in, however him and Wilhelm(Hamilton Principal, former Hornet assistant) are very close and I can't see him leaving Hamilton based on that alone. I have watched Hamilton steadily improve as football product over the years, it just hasn't shown in the win column. The Hamilton fan base could be ready for a change, so maybe he gets out of town before they pull the plug.

My hope is Monroe expands it search beyond alumni and current staff members. There is nothing wrong with bringing someone in from the outside. Monroe will be an attracting option for outsiders and I believe will attract quality candidates. It would be wrong of the administration to just hire Osterman because he is on the staff currently or Ward because he is in the building without looking from the outside.

I think we can all agree Jason Krause was arguably the best coach Monroe has ever had. I don't believe he had any connections with Monroe before he was hired.

Monroe is a great community and is still growing. I read an article where there as many as 1200 homesites still available. Monroe could very well be D2 in the next 10 years, and I am sure there is many people from the outside who would be interested.
Old 12-05-17, 11:21 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
No debate about it...they will hire a monroe guy. They made the mistake of not hiring one last time and you see what happened. There is a huge disconnect between the community and the football program. "Qualifications" are far less superior when hiring a high school football coach as oppose to someone who has passion/connection with the community, can bring energy, and get the kids to buy in. Monroe doesn't have a talent issue right now, Monroe has a "want to" issue.
I understand a mistake was made last time. It was between Faulk and Leach. Faulk would be a great option, no doubt about it. I am saying it would be wrong of the administration to not look beyond Ward, Snively, Faulk, or Osterman. It doesn't mean they wouldn't be great options, it just means that Monroe is leaving no stone unturned.
Old 12-05-17, 11:55 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Would be an interesting scenario. NRs offense is pretty explosive. I think he would be a good coach to evaluate the personnel we have a orchestrate a good offensive game plan that suits what we've got.
Not sure if he is interested (heard he is happy at NR) in this at all but I agree. From what I've read on here the facilities are pretty good and there seems to be support out there, but not so much with the former coach. Seems like they want someone with energy to get things going, and re-institute some pride in the area.
Old 12-05-17, 03:57 PM
All Region

sportsnutxxi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I hope they are not that shortsighted. Anyone remember the disaster that was Brett Stubbs? He was hired for the exact reasons that you mention above but he was not a good head coach. Great coordinator but he needed the qualifications that you are wanting them to overlook.
Old 12-05-17, 04:32 PM
All Ohio

I think most of us agree that Ward, Snively, and Faulk are strong candidates. I would be Thrilled to have Ward, the other 2 would be an upgrade energy wise and I believe would be good options. Chad Murphy would be a home run in my opinion if he is interested. Hamilton is better program than when he took over, it is just very hard to win at Hamilton.

Outside of those names, can we name anyone who has a strong resume that would be interested?
Old 12-05-17, 05:28 PM
All District

The Watcher 2.0 is on a distinguished road
I heard Steve Channell has applied for the job. Hope he doesn’t sleep with the kids mothers like he is doing at Miamisburg, if he get a shot at the job.....
Old 12-05-17, 06:42 PM
All Ohio

Channel is a winner. If he applied, he should be considered. I would be shocked if he did though.
Old 12-05-17, 10:14 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Channel is a winner. If he applied, he should be considered. I would be shocked if he did though.
Wow very interesting. He can definitely turn a program around. Miamisburg was 1-9 in 2011 I think before He took over. 2012 they were 7-3 his first year. Not saying he or any other guy could work a miracle in 1 year given the lack of good talent and depth we need to compete consistently but hey who knows time will tell.
Old 12-06-17, 10:44 AM
All Ohio

I think we need to be realistic with expectations. Monroe doesn't have the size or speed to run really any system well. Monroe has good QB and and couple WR's coming back next year, but there isn't much else. Monroe shouldn't choose a coach/system based on next year. The strength and conditioning program obviously lacked big time under Leach and it will take 1-2 years to get Monroe competitive again from a physical standpoint. We shouldn't be against certain system because we don't have the players at the present moment, because development is going to be needed regardless.
Old 12-06-17, 07:29 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
I think we need to be realistic with expectations. Monroe doesn't have the size or speed to run really any system well. Monroe has good QB and and couple WR's coming back next year, but there isn't much else. Monroe shouldn't choose a coach/system based on next year. The strength and conditioning program obviously lacked big time under Leach and it will take 1-2 years to get Monroe competitive again from a physical standpoint. We shouldn't be against certain system because we don't have the players at the present moment, because development is going to be needed regardless.
Uh, dude I think you are an informed and a great poster, but if you have players who are strong, fast, and coachable, you can run any offense and defense, and be successful. UH its about Jimmys and Joes, and less about schemes.
Old 12-06-17, 11:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, dude I think you are an informed and a great poster, but if you have players who are strong, fast, and coachable, you can run any offense and defense, and be successful. UH its about Jimmys and Joes, and less about schemes.
Monroe has been small and slow the last 2 seasons. Regardless of who gets the job, they will need to whip the boys into shape. I thinks kids can be coachable at Monroe but the motivation has been lacking from the top the last 7 years. The 2014 and 2015 teams were talented and close knit enough to weather the fact that there wasn’t good leadership at the top. The Jimmys and Joes have to be there, but if there is a solid strength and conditioning program in place then a program can still be competitive when the talent dips down.

The number one thing I want is a coach who values the offseason program more than anything. That is where the games are won in my opinion. That is where you turn bad players into average role fillers, that is where you turn average players into good ones, good ones to great ones, and great ones to legendary ones.

If you look at the great programs in the area/state they all have one thing in common and that is a strong off season program.
Old 12-07-17, 09:04 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Monroe has been small and slow the last 2 seasons. Regardless of who gets the job, they will need to whip the boys into shape. I thinks kids can be coachable at Monroe but the motivation has been lacking from the top the last 7 years. The 2014 and 2015 teams were talented and close knit enough to weather the fact that there wasn’t good leadership at the top. The Jimmys and Joes have to be there, but if there is a solid strength and conditioning program in place then a program can still be competitive when the talent dips down.

The number one thing I want is a coach who values the offseason program more than anything. That is where the games are won in my opinion. That is where you turn bad players into average role fillers, that is where you turn average players into good ones, good ones to great ones, and great ones to legendary ones.

If you look at the great programs in the area/state they all have one thing in common and that is a strong off season program.
Yeah bro. Kids these days you gotta keep your thumb on their neck. Back in the day kids didn't need motivation or enthusiasm like they do now with all the outside distractions of today.